Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New lineup without Powell
Carlisle could go a few different directions here and I think matchups will dictate who starts, until Donnie lands another big or two. Candidates to start include Brunson, Barea, Wright, Jackson and Kleber. I think Curry & Boban come off the bench regardless.

Tonight McCollum is questionable; and Whiteside is probable. Simons will likely start in McCollum's spot. Whiteside is going to be a problem. Melo is going to be a problem.

My guess is Carlisle will need heavy minutes from Kleber as he and DFS are the only forwards who can handle Anthony. Kleber will also need to help with Whiteside and DFS will be needed on the perimeter to help with Lillard. Just a tough matchup.

I'm going out on a limb and giving Jackson the start. This keeps the Wright-Brunson-Curry bench trio intact; and Kleber can fit in where needed. Mavs can survive if Jackson can hold his own for 20 minutes and Boban gets 5-8 minutes in each half. The side benefit is Jackson could be showcased as a key trade asset.

Doncic 
THJ
DFS
Jackson
Porzingis

Longer term, we know everyone around the Mavs thought they needed a banger, even before Powell's injury. And word is they are still looking for a 15 ppg big, so I think the silver lining of Powell's injury is the Mavs still have assets for the trade market and Powell's is a position they were likely looking to upgrade anyway. Powell was unlikely to be traded himself, so in the end, if the Mavs get their guy, Powell's injury may only impact their depth. 

IMHO, if they sign a guy like Joakim Noah or an overseas center, he won't start. Noah could perhaps add bench depth to backfill what they were planning to do with Powell. They still need a starting forward with some size, who can rebound and score. 

A guy like Lauri Markkanen would fit in extremely well. He's been miscast as a 5 and spot-up 3PT shooter in a Porzingis-like role but he has neither the length nor aptitude to guard the rim. He has holes in his game on defense even as a big forward, but he moves his feet well. Given time, I don't see why he couldn't excel in a Gallinari-type role on any team. The big question is whether or not Chicago's management is ready to move on from him. The fanbase is fed up with both Markkanen and the coach, so perhaps they're willing to go in a different direction. Markkanen is still a very inconsistent young player so this would 100% be a move for the future. No way Markkanen is ready to compete at Doncic's level, so it will be interesting to see if the Mavs want to go young or add a veteran who can contribute now, e.g. a guy who you hope Markkanen could become like Danilo Gallinari himself... or even gulp, Al Horford.
Like Reply
(01-23-2020, 10:59 AM)vfromlmf Wrote: Whiteside is going to be a problem. Melo is going to be a problem.

KP and Kleber will be even bigger problem for those two on the offensive side. We managed Portland without KP, so I don't think facing them without Powell will be such a drastic difference. I will be very surprised if anyone else but Maxi starts this one.
Like Reply
Good thread V

I expect Maxi to start tonight, but and for Bobi to play more consistently for stretch of games with Brunson, Wright and Seth.

I'd handicap it as Maxi most likely, JJax second, JJB third and JB forth

Past this game, if Rick experiments with some other ideas, I'd like to get Delon more minutes. I'd be curious if

Luka
Delon
THJ
DFS
KP

would work.

I can think of reasons why it wouldn't. There was a reason why the Luja/Delon pairing didn't last long. And THJ has been allowed to slowly add some facilitating to his game. And Delon hesitates to shoot open 3s. And he seems to be important on the floor when Luka's not. So it probably won't be tried. But I'd like to give it a shot.
Like Reply
Jackson shouldn´t be in the rotation at all in my opinion. He shoots 23% from 3 since the beginning of december. And that´s supposed to be his strength. He clearly is a big negative on defense and if he cannot make up for it on offense there is no reason to play him at all.
Prior to Broekhoffs injury he was slowly losing his minutes to him. He has a nice floater but outside of that he reminds me of Charlie V. Combination of high 3-point volume with bad percentages.
Like Reply
Agree Maxi should start ... but JJax will be needed for 20 minutes either way. He's next man up with Powell out. Jackson has been terrible since December 3 so I'd love to see him step up and get his confidence back. Interestingly he's only shared the floor with Doncic for 38 minutes this season according to 82games. I'd like to see Doncic help get him going and maybe build some trade value.

(01-23-2020, 12:22 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Charlie V
 Nice reference.

Interesting note from The Ringer. "88 percent of [KP's] minutes have come with a second big man on the floor, half of which featured Dwight Powell" and I don't see a single appearance of a DFS-JJax-Porzingis front court, which really throws cold water on my, let's start Jackson idea. Smart money is on Kleber starting.
Like Reply
Boban gets the start and plays 25 mins! IT'S YOUR TIME LiL BIG TEX!
Like Reply
I like the idea of more court time for JJ and Delon.  Delon, in particular looked great to me early in the season, but seems to have lost some of his mojo.  I understand that they've not looked so hot lately, but IMO, being young players who really haven't seen all that much NBA playing time, they just need more court time to get more acclimated to what will and will not work at this level. Yes, they are going to make mistakes, but I don't see any way around this.  Now, JB and Seth seem more confident on the floor, but they don't have the length of Delon and Jackson.
Like Reply
Start Seth and keep firing them 3's
Like Reply
The new lineup - in terms of the rotation, not necessarily the starters - will involve lots of small ball until the Mavs make a personnel fix. Somebody please hide the lotion and kleenex from Carlisle.
Like Reply
(01-23-2020, 04:41 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: The new lineup - in terms of the rotation, not necessarily the starters - will involve lots of small ball until the Mavs make a personnel fix. Somebody please hide the lotion and kleenex from Carlisle.
With that in mind.

JB/JJB
DW/THJ
Curry/DFS
Luka/Maxi
JJ/KP

Let the game of 80 3's begin!

We will actually only shoot 79 cause DW hesitated to shoot one last one.
Like Reply