Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Few Thoughts Mavs 107, Clippers 110
Mavs Fall Short to Team Kawhi in Clutch
Powell Goes Down With Achilles Injury

The home-team Mavs went down big in the second quarter, came back just as big, had several chances in the clutch, but ultimately just made too many mistakes and missed too many free throws. The really terrible news of the night was Dwight Powell falling down without contact, and being diagnosed with an Achilles injury, feared to be severe. Dwight will have an MRI on Wednesday. 

Game Story

Porzingis made his return after ten games out. YAY!!!  Paul George was out for the Clips. 

Both teams got off to a putrid start, combining for 1-20 on their first twenty shots. The Mavs eventually recovered, and the score was tied at 24-24 after the first. Powell went down toward the end of the quarter and was helped to the locker room. 

The Mavericks held on to their lead for a while, but the Clippers closed the second period with a 27-10 run, as the wheels fell off the Mavs bus and the chassis crumbled to dust. The reffing left something to be desired, and Harp thought the team was letting that mess with their heads. I wonder if they weren't also rattled by Powell's injury, as word filtered through the arena that he had indeed suffered an Achilles injury. I know I was finding it harder to pay attention. The Mavs were down 49-60 at halftime. 

Barea started in Maxi's place in the third. Rick wanted more playmaking on the court, and to give Luka more time off the ball. However, the team was getting crushed on the boards. Adjustments were made, and the home team ended the frame with a deficit narrowed to 78-82.

Dallas ground their way to a couple of 2-point leads in the last five minutes of the game. They couldn't sustain it, though. A Maxi dunk put them within 3 with 25 seconds left. Delon Wright stole the inbounds pass and Luka passed to Tim for an open three-point shot, which Tim unfortunately missed. Maxi intentionally fouled Jamychal Green, who obligingly missed both free throws. Shamet intentionally fouled Luka, who missed his first free throw, and then was forced to intentionally miss the second with 12 seconds left. Kawhi, however got the rebound. Porzee intentionally fouled Kawhi, who hit both of his free throws. That left the Clips up 5 with six seconds left. Luka ended the game with a meaningless floater. 

Analytics

The Mavs were undone by:

-- very poor three-point shooting (28%). Luka, KP, DFS and Maxi combined to go 6-29 from long range. They got some great looks, but weren't able to hit. 

-- poor free-throw shooting. The team missed 7 free throws -- more than twice the point differential in the game. The Mavs need to get a handle on this issue. Game after game after game, they miss an inordinate number of foul shots. That's just a lack of focus, and it is costing them wins. 

-- poor performance on the boards. The boys in blue gave up an appalling 20 offensive rebounds, along with 20 second-chance points. Have to do better than that. 

-- turnovers. Turnovers continue to bite the Mavs, as they lost 19 points to giveaways on the night. 

-- disappointing clutch performance. This is an old story, so I won't belabor it. To the Mavs' credit, they did fight hard, and were in it until the very end, but just never could get over the hump. 

What is really surprising about this match is that the Mavericks came as close as they did. The Clippers didn't play all that well either, but, in the end, they were just too good. No shame in losing to a team of that quality. Just a shame to come that close and let it slip away. 

Players

Luka (37 min) ended the game with a 36-10-9 line. He was 3-12 from three, and got to the line for a game-high 14 FTAs, but missed 5 of them, some at crucial junctures. Luka got a little grief for passing to Tim on that clutch shot, but he maintained that passing to Hardaway was "the 100% right play." Carlisle backed him up on that, saying that, considering how well Tim is shooting, that was the play to make. I tend to agree. Luka is not a good three-point shooter, but he is a great passer, and a pass to an open shooter seemed like the best percentage play. 

KP (27 min) was on his first game back after a knee injury, and he moved well, but was clearly shaking off some rust. He had 10 points and 9 boards, but was 4-17 from the field and 1-8 from three. Carlisle said that it will take a little time for Zinger to regain his rhythm, but he doesn't expect it to be long. Coach also praised his big man for his blocks and deflections protecting the rim. KP was limited to short stretches of play, and was on a minutes watch. Porzee was kicking himself after the game, saying that the team could have won if he had played a little better, and that the loss was on him. 

Boban (16 min) got some extended run in light of DP's injury. He had 12 points and 7 rebounds in his time on the court. He added some interior offense, with layins, post-ups, floaters, and flat-footed shots and rebounds with a smile in the opponent's face, lol. It slays me to watch him play -- in a good way.  He rarely misses shots, and went 5-6 on the night. Also exhibited some passing skill, and made good decisions.  He was one of 5 Mavs who ended up in net positive territory in the +/- column. Carlisle commended him for being ready. I think we will be seeing more of Bobi in days to come. 

Clippers.  Kawhi burned the Mavs with 36 points and 11 boards, although he was 1-9 from three. DFS was not strong enough or big enough to guard him, and Maxi wore himself out trying. Lou Williams led the bench unit with 16 points, and Montrezl Harrell bully-balled the Mavs with a shocking lack of repercussions from the refs. This is a very good team -- and they didn't even have Paul George. If moral victories counted for anything, the Mavs might have earned one playing them so close. 

Remarks

Rick observed that it was a "somber" night, and he looked devastated over Powell's injury. He commended Powell for being a "soldier of the franchise," and for "defining the Mavs culture." As far as the game was concerned, he thought his squad competed well and consistently, but Kawhi was amazing and the Clips just overpowered them. 

The loss almost seems beside the point, in light of Powell's injury. He had been playing so well the last 10 games or so, and he will definitely be missed. If his Achilles is indeed ruptured, he will miss the rest of the season. Rick said they will be looking at "everything" in terms of trying to fill the void, declining to speak about personnel changes from outside the current roster. Powell will have an MRI on Wednesday, and the Mavs should have an official statement thereafter. 

This game had some of the aspects of the little brothers playing the big brothers. The Mavs didn't have quite the head game that the Clips did, although the Luka-Kawhi show was entertaining. Kudos to the overmatched Mavs for making a game of it. They still have a lot to work on, but the overall trajectory is upward, aside from injuries. 

Next. The Mavericks will take on the Blazers on Thursday, this time in Portland. Will be interesting to see what happens, as they reset once again. 

Soldier on, Mavs!
Like Reply
Thanks ML good job as always.
Just to add almost 20% deficit on rebounding that there will not be only talk about bad shooting night.
But there was also a bright side in this game. Outscoring (or mach) LAC's in 3Q's and keeping them on 24, 22 and 28pts is not bad which can point attention to mavs defensive side as well. With exception of last 6min in Q2 in first 3min in Q3 mavs where able to hold LAC's O's scoring numbers in reasonable margins. As well theirs D afford during most of the game was pretty solid. I've took a minute and dig into some part of game stats to see if my impression can be seeing from them.

[Image: LACDALBSH.jpg]

Effort still doesn't mean gaining a ball possession but they where brave and fight physical team quite well.

Teams are slowly getting to know each other in this part of the season and comparing this game with the first one against Clips in November shows considerable progression in mavs game. Even in a L I am not disappointed with mavs performance yesterday. They lost against better team with clutch game veterans. But they where right there, damn.... lol.

Much more than this L hurts DP's injury. Best wishes and prayers for him. Mavs and we all will miss him till he will come back, even those who where not happy with his game.
They will have a little less to talk about Cool
Like Reply
First a tip of the hat to Dwight Powell.  What a great personality to have on the roster and a terrible injury for the Mavs.  Sad

There's nothing good about losing DP.  He was in fact it seems hitting another level as a player so in that sense the timing is awful.  Undecided

If there is a silver lining at all, it may be in that Rick Carlisle could be forced to play the guy I've been harping on all season to get used more. 
I mean seriously guys, this line: 

Quote:Boban (16 min) got some extended run in light of DP's injury. He had 12 points and 7 rebounds in his time on the court. He added some interior offense, with layins, post-ups, floaters, and flat-footed shots and rebounds with a smile in the opponent's face, lol. It slays me to watch him play -- in a good way.  He rarely misses shots, and went 5-6 on the night. Also exhibited some passing skill, and made good decisions.  He was one of 5 Mavs who ended up in net positive territory in the +/- column. Carlisle commended him for being ready. I think we will be seeing more of Bobi in days to come. 

So, pour one out for Powell and let's talk Boban Marjanovic the Maverick version: 
I missed this game so have to go back and watch. Checking the recaps on NBA.com In 16 minutes.  Are you kidding me?  
I see not only coach but even on these boards, most people still don't see how this guys elite offense could offset his speed problems on defense, if he's used well.   

Quote:Marjanovic logged nearly 16 minutes against the Clippers, producing 12 points on 5-of-6 shooting with seven rebounds and two blocks.

Not sure why that isn't more obvious to more people besides Derek Harper and I.   Wink

For Carlisle to maximize him though, he really should do more than just get him minutes.  
They need to run some offense through him more deliberately, more often.  He opens a lot of space on the floor for the Mavs many shooters because its literally impossible to ignore him if he's near the rim or headed toward the rim.  One or two bodies guaranteed to be occupied.  

On defense, its a different story. Its a problem. I actually think Bobi can be ok on the stretch 5.  His wingspan allows him to contest pretty well if the Mavs tell him to stay home on a perimeter guy.  He should be able to give  up some space to protect against blow by while still contesting decently.  If a 5 gets hot out there its a problem, but they are not always hot.   
The PnR is what likely gives Carlisle and NBA coaches an upset stomach when Bobi is in the game.  They just can't stomach getting eaten alive on that.  I'd like to see Bobi be more aggressive on rim defense.  That could help. 
No stupid fouls, just go after the blocked shot if anyone dares challenge the rim with him near, body contact is welcomed. 
Train the refs to expect him to be a shot blocker and he'll get more slack on calls.  If he's timid on defense, they'll foul him right out. 

Bobi has to get his back on the other end, and generate fouls against the opponent as well. 
Finally, yes they could use another big as well since Bobi is still a short minute guy all his career. 
Be interesting to see what Dallas does here to address the Powell loss.  Who is out there?  
Wasn't Justin Patton destroying the G-League?  Is he available from the Thunder? 

They could also go small ball more with the roster they have.
More KP inside?
Like Reply
Spot on analysis mavsluvr! I too have been reading the Powell and trade deadline stuff but I really appreciate what you do. I agree with the things we have to improve on and watching the game go so badly at times, I marveled at how we kept giving ourselves a chance.....but did not quite succeed with our chances. 

Special Kudos for Delon Wright giving us a GREAT chance by getting that late steal on the inbounds pass.
This Reunion Rowdie says the AAC needs "Luka's Lunatics" for the Luka/KP and gang era.
Like Reply
(01-22-2020, 07:43 AM)LukTheShadow Wrote: Thanks ML good job as always.
Just to add almost 20% deficit on rebounding that there will not be only talk about bad shooting night.
But there was also a bright side in this game. Outscoring (or mach) LAC's in 3Q's and keeping them on 24, 22 and 28pts is not bad which can point attention to mavs defensive side as well. With exception of last 6min in Q2 in first 3min in Q3 mavs where able to hold LAC's O's scoring numbers in reasonable margins. As well theirs D afford during most of the game was pretty solid. I've took a minute and dig into some part of game stats to see if my impression can be seeing from them.

[Image: LACDALBSH.jpg]

Effort still doesn't mean gaining a ball possession but they where brave and fight physical team quite well.

Teams are slowly getting to know each other in this part of the season and comparing this game with the first one against Clips in November shows considerable progression in mavs game. Even in a L I am not disappointed with mavs performance yesterday. They lost against better team with clutch game veterans. But they where right there, damn.... lol.

Much more than this L hurts DP's injury. Best wishes and prayers for him. Mavs and we all will miss him till he will come back, even those who where not happy with his game.
They will have a little less to talk about Cool
Thanks for the stats and analysis, Luk.
Like Reply
(01-22-2020, 09:52 AM)Dahlsim Wrote: For Carlisle to maximize him though, he really should do more than just get him minutes.  
They need to run some offense through him more deliberately, more often.  He opens a lot of space on the floor for the Mavs many shooters because its literally impossible to ignore him if he's near the rim or headed toward the rim.  One or two bodies guaranteed to be occupied.
I don't know if Carlisle will run any offense for Boban, but that will certainly be an option on the table. 

Thanks for this and your other going points, Dahl. I have a feeling we are going to learn a lot more about Bobi soon.
Like Reply
Big Grin 
(01-23-2020, 01:28 AM)mavsluvr Wrote:
(01-22-2020, 09:52 AM)Dahlsim Wrote: For Carlisle to maximize him though, he really should do more than just get him minutes.  
I don't know if Carlisle will run any offense for Boban, but that will certainly be an option on the table. 

Thanks for this and your other going points, Dahl. I have a feeling we are going to learn a lot more about Bobi soon.

Yeah, I'm not holding my breath for any big change in the way Bobi is used, just musing here in your thread ML. 
Rick Carlisle has a system, he has a ring, and he's likely going to be pretty set in his ways. Heck, he's already said post up is basically a dead offensive play so its almost comical now that he has an elite post up player on the bench dying to play while he's also now down a key starter. If only Bobi could survive the PnR better, maybe coach would consider a post up resurrection.    Smile

Carlisle's been doing a good job this year overall, so good he'd probably be at least in conversation for coach of the year especially if KP could shoot the ball a little better.  
As I posted else where KP was 4 of 17 while Boban was 5 of 6 in a 3 point loss.  Now take a few of KP's shots and give them to Boban? 
Its not Rocket Science.  Huh
Like Reply
(01-23-2020, 06:55 AM)Dahlsim Wrote: Its not Rocket Science.  Huh
Don't tell that to analytics guys!
Like Reply
(01-22-2020, 02:06 PM)Reunion Mav Wrote: Spot on analysis mavsluvr! I too have been reading the Powell and trade deadline stuff but I really appreciate what you do. I agree with the things we have to improve on and watching the game go so badly at times, I marveled at how we kept giving ourselves a chance.....but did not quite succeed with our chances. 

Special Kudos for Delon Wright giving us a GREAT chance by getting that late steal on the inbounds pass.
Thanks, RM! Yes, that was a fantastic play!

(01-23-2020, 06:55 AM)Dahlsim Wrote: Yeah, I'm not holding my breath for any big change in the way Bobi is used, just musing here in your thread ML. 
Rick Carlisle has a system, he has a ring, and he's likely going to be pretty set in his ways. Heck, he's already said post up is basically a dead offensive play so its almost comical now that he has an elite post up player on the bench dying to play while he's also now down a key starter. If only Bobi could survive the PnR better, maybe coach would consider a post up resurrection.   
I get Rick's stand on this. He is trying to get guys open shots, rather than contested ones. Bobi is a natural for post-up play, so if a post-up is the best shot they can get in any given possession, Bobi would be a good one to take it.
Like Reply