Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 120, Blazers 112
Mavs Top Blazers in Fourth Straight Win

The Mavericks took care of business in front of their home fans in what turned out to be the Luka v Lillard show. 

Game Story

Collins, Hood, and Labissiere occupied slots on Portland's injury list. Dame played with an upper respiratory infection, which could have meant a cold. McCollum left the game in the second quarter with a sprained ankle. On the Mavs' side, KP was out for the 10th consecutive game. So, what IS wrong with Zinger, anyway?

Maxi took Porzee's place in the starting lineup. Dallas opened the game slogging through mud, and were down by 11 within the first five minutes. Then they stormed back with 26 points in four minutes or so, and took their first lead with 4:09 left in the quarter. Two Brunson free throws put them ahead 38-37 at the end of the frame in what was turning into a shootout. The two teams combined for 22 3PTAs in the period, hitting 12. Luka dazzled for the Mavs with fourteen points. The home team would never surrender their lead.

The Mavericks surged in the second, and went into the half with a 72-63 advantage. Not a lot of defense being played from either squad. Brunson led the team with 11 points in the quarter, and put the finishing touch on the period with a running reverse layup. Bazemore, who drew the bewildering job of guarding Luka, had four fouls by halftime, limiting his ability to be aggressive in his defensive duties. 

The third period was Hardaway's time to shine, and he put on a show with 15 points. The team had a game-high 17-point lead with 3 minutes left. Being the Mavs, they found a way to make it interesting, and the opponents went on a 12-4 run to close the quarter. Dallas' lead was down to 98-89 when the buzzer sounded. 

The home team continued their slide to begin the fourth, and their edge was down to four within the first five minutes. The starters came back in en masse with 8 minutes left, and the unit ended the period with an 18-14 edge. Seth led the squad with 7 points and some clever ball handling. His dramatic steal from Lillard and ensuing layup was a momentum move and was deemed the play of the game. The Mavs clamped down toward the end with five defensive stops, and a layup and dagger three from Luka sealed the deal. 

Analytics

Three-point shooting was the name of the game for the Mavs. They took 17 more long-range attempts than Portland, and hit 20 of those for a 43% pyrotechnical display. The match was a little choppy, with 50 fouls called, but the Mavs responded by shooting 79% from the line. The Mavericks' overall game plan with KP out appeared to be trading threes for twos, as they repeatedly funneled the Blazers into the paint, and provided little to no resistance at the rim. It worked, after a fashion, and the blue and silver ended up +33 on points from threes, +7 on made free throws, and -32 on points from twos. 

Dallas secured 13 offensive rebounds and had 20 second-chance points. The Mavs lead the league in second-chance points -- who knew? On the other hand, they gave up 17 points off turnovers, leaving the possession game relatively even. The second period was key, with the Mavs' point differential per quarter being +1, +8, 0, and -1. The bench showed up with 42 points, while Portland's second unit had a measly 20. Defense began as a nonexistent concept, but grew progressively better as the game went along, and was impressive during the final run. 

Players

Luka (34 min) was on fire. He had a 35-8-7 line, and hit a career-high 8 threes in the contest. His 7 assists led the team, and he kept his turnovers down to a relatively reasonable three. He had a dramatic four-point play in the second, when he shocked his man with a sudden pull-up three, despite being closely guarded. Bazemore was tagged with his fourth foul with about a minute left in the second period, and Luka took advantage with a 26-foot three and driving finger-roll layup before the interval. 

Doncic was called for a controversial flagrant in the third, when he raised his arms to shoot with Whiteside in his grill, and his elbows caught Hassan's face. Guess ball don't lie, as HW missed both free throws. The young phenom lit the place up all night. Amazing to think that his best is yet to come. 

Maxi (33 min) had 10 points on 2-8 shooting, to go with 5 rebounds. His contributions, however, far outweighed his line, and he and Doe Doe led the team in +/- at +9. He drew defensive duty on Carmelo, who was a handful, but he performed with aplomb. The Mavs ran some MK-SC pick and roll in the fourth, and MK had a beautiful kick-out to Seth for a three. Playmaker! Rick noted that Maxi had long minutes as one of the team's only two bigs. While Carlisle prefers to keep their minutes in the twenties, he thought that Kleber made it through his 33 minutes just fine. At one point, I was watching a play out of the corner of my eye and thought that Luka was looking quite stellar on defense, only to realize on closer inspection that it was Maxi I was watching, lol.

Hardaway (32 min) was blazing, putting together an amazing 29 points on 16 shots. Portland focused on trying to keep the ball out of Luka's hands, and Tim stepped up in a big way. Rick gushed over the guard, who he thought was great all night on both ends. Coach appreciated his aggression, dialed-in focus, concentration, brilliant shotmaking, great presence, and infectious energy. 

Carlisle opined that there is no question that Tim is a starter in the league, and the only question roster-wise was whether he should be used as a starter or a sixth man. He tried Tim in a sixth-man role to begin the season. When Seth got sick and THJ filled in, Rick thought it was "pretty clear" that Tim should play the starting role, and that Seth had had a great attitude about it.

Seth (29 min) had 16 points off the bench, and played a key role in the stretch. Rick has been giving Luka periods of "rest" during the game by taking him off the ball, so that he doesn't have to use up his energy driving all the time. Seth drew that responsibility in the fourth, and Luka looked fresh and strong delivering in the clutch. Rick thought Curry's glittering steal and layup was "huge," and was key to getting the crowd involved. Seth revealed that Rick is making an effort to use Seth more as a ball handler when he and Luka are both on the floor, and the experiment worked on the night. 

Brunson (19 min) had a pretty good night out, with 13 points on 5-10 shooting. In addition to leading the offense, he had an exciting giant-killer, when his shot close to the rim arched WAY up high over his big man defender, and came down right through the nylon. He was aggressive off the bench, and provided a steadying influence when Luka was off the floor. 

Blazers. Dame entertained with 34 points and 10 assists. What a great player! Although there is no stopping a player of that quality, the Mavs gained some valuable experience giving it a go. The Luka-Lillard matchup was a highlight of the season. Carmelo had 22 points on 16 shots. We can talk a lot (and we have) about Melo's deficiencies, but he can flat put the ball in the basket. Whiteside dominated the paint on both ends, and stuffed the box score with 21 points, 18 rebounds, and 5 blocks. Nevertheless, he had plenty of head-scratching plays, dopey fouls, and several defensive three-second technicals. Some commentators thought he was one of the best players for the Mavs, lol. The Blazers had a bad break when CJ went out with a sprained ankle, and the visitors lost the starting back court battle 38-64.

Remarks

Rick thought that this was a good win and liked his squad's play, while acknowledging that his team dodged bullets all night and committed mistakes that they can improve on in the future. He thought they performed well in the clutch, winning the game with stops. He praised Seth's huge steal and layup and PNR plays, Hardaway's deflections, DFS' rebounding, and Luka's dagger in the final few minutes.

The Mavs made their share of cringeworthy mistakes in this match (for example, giving up offensive rebounds while ball-watching, including after a lane violation on a Portland free throw attempt), but on balance, I liked the performance. They held onto the lead for the last three quarters. Despite narrowing their advantage from 17 to 4 over the last few minutes of the third and beginning of the fourth, they had some good energy in the tank to finish the game strong. I think the extra day of rest after the last game had Luka looking lively, after he had seemed to be wearing down under the pressure of a crowded schedule. 

The team still allowed a parade to the basket, with no one offering the rim protection that KP does. However, hot three-point shooting covers a multitude of sins, and the Mavs sparkled from long distance. Hardaway was spectacular, and the entire team showed a lot of synergy. Defense was impressive in the fourth, and the squad looked rejuvenated at home. It wasn't their best performance, but it was a long way from their worst, and they are showing progress as the season rolls along. Good win!

Next. The Mavs will get another run at the Clippers on Tuesday. Hopefully, they will benefit from the rest between now and then. 

Go Mavs!
Like Reply
I have gone back and forth btwn getting another big or wing or both. I am convinced now a defensive wing is the number one priority. Mavs can also get another big on the cheap for depth but if they are going to spend assets it will probably be on a wing. RoCo certainly tops the list and Mavs have several assets they could throw at the Wolves to get them interested. Our perimeter defense needs an upgrade. I am telling you if we can make it harder on teams at the perimeter the Mavs are so good offensively, particularly from 3 that teams will not be able to come back, especially with KP in the middle.

Think about a closing lineup of:

Luka
THJ
RoCo
DFS
KP

With the ability to sub Curry or Maxi for one of those spots based on matchups. I love Maxi but he cannot cover everybody. He is versatile but you need a RoCo type who is truly a lockdown guy. When teams try to go small against the Mavs, the Mavs would have their own "small" lineup that isn't really small. In the above scenario you have THJ who is 6'5/6'6 as your smallest player, 6'7 Luka, two 6'9 guys and 7'3 KP.

Mavs upgraded "small" lineup with a RoCo or Iguodala would still have plenty of offense but be able to slow down the other team who is jacking up shots in an attempt to come back.
Like Reply
Portland's stars lavished praise on the Mavs' top guys. 

Carmelo said it made him happy to see KP smiling. He hopes that Dallas appreciates what they have in Luka. 

Dame thinks Luka should be MVP right now.

Tampering?
Like Reply
I felt a bit foolish for mistaking Maxi for Luka, but don't you see how that could happen?

https://twitter.com/RyMichail/status/121...24576?s=20
Like Reply
(01-18-2020, 02:30 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: I felt a bit foolish for mistaking Maxi for Luka, but don't you see how that could happen?

Don't. I had the same impression in the game. I just don't know, why is Luka trying so hard to look like Maxi .. Smile ..  But if he'll absorb Maxi's D performance beside his look I hope I'll be mistaken many more times in the future.

Good recap ML, nothing to add, good game and good W with a little drama smell at the end and with a shoot for the show. Go Mavs!
Like Reply
(01-18-2020, 02:30 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: I felt a bit foolish for mistaking Maxi for Luka, but don't you see how that could happen?

All of those Euros look alike.
Like Reply
(01-18-2020, 03:45 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:

All of those Euros look alike.
LOL

I see Bazemore didn't survive those four fouls for long. Portland has reportedly traded him to Sac.
Like Reply
This was an odd game for me. On the one hand, it was an offensive explosion. Luka orchestrated quite the offensive performance and the Mavs at times seemed unstoppable. Yet there were also long stretches where they couldn't put the ball in the hoop. It was really a tale of two extremes, at random times, throughout the game, which for me gave it an odd pacing. Sometimes they played blistering fast, other times it droned on. Overall though it was wildly entertaining.

The defense was atrocious however. Blazers got anything and everything they wanted. There was zero interior defense most importantly. The Blazers were running a layup line to the rim and Whiteside was getting free shots left and right.  Powell came crashing down to Earth this game after his 2 great performances. He barely produced on offense, and his interior defense was non-existent. Whiteside just destroyed Powell every which way. Thankfully while Whiteside was having his way, he also made an innumerable amount of small mistakes. How many 3-second calls can a dude get before he understands he can't camp out in the paint?? 

But I don't want to make it seem like I'm just signaling out Powell. Make no mistake everyone besides Maxi was bad on D. Some players had some great runs like THJ in the 4th, who was in the passing lanes and was locked in. DFS tried to stay in front of Lillard but failed multiple accounts. 

All in all, seeing Luka hit the 2 game sealing shots in the final minute gave me such a high. Dude is one of the most entertaining players to see play that I've seen in a long time.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(01-18-2020, 10:49 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: Mavs Top Blazers in Fourth Straight Win

The Mavericks took care of business in front of their home fans in what turned out to be the Luka v Lillard show. 

Game Story

Analytics

Three-point shooting was the name of the game for the Mavs. They took 17 more long-range attempts than Portland, and hit 20 of those for a 43% pyrotechnical display. The match was a little choppy, with 50 fouls called, but the Mavs responded by shooting 79% from the line. The Mavericks' overall game plan with KP out appeared to be trading threes for twos, as they repeatedly funneled the Blazers into the paint, and provided little to no resistance at the rim. It worked, after a fashion, and the blue and silver ended up +33 on points from threes, +7 on made free throws, and -32 on points from twos. 

Next. The Mavs will get another run at the Clippers on Tuesday. Hopefully, they will benefit from the rest between now and then. 

Go Mavs!

Nice work by the Mavs and by ML here on the summary.  Smile 

There are some real signs of this team maturing in recent games.  There's some progress, slowly but surely, in the way the young guys and the team in general is closing games and handling runs. Still a problem but the signs of progress are also clear.  

I like the make up of this roster a lot but if I looked to to add anything this season it would be some more rim protection.  
Particularly given that KP's health for the season looks dicey, the need for another impediment at the rim to at least slow people down inside is glaring. 

The trick is to get the type of inside force that will get minutes trusted to them in the Carlisle system. A lot of centers don't fit in some way, like we saw for example recently with Salah Mejri and before that Javale McGee.  The result is a big man that is on the roster but can't seem to get on the floor even when they have good games most of the time in the minutes they do get. 

Since its so 'matchup based' the inside help and rim protection doesn't get into the rotation enough to be a consistent help inside, just spot minutes that help a game here and there.  I wish I could say Boban could help here but the gentle Giant has always been too gentle to be the type of force at the rim on defense he should be in the limited minutes he plays (although his rebounding presence helps on both sides). 
Maybe if they could coach Marjanovic up on his rim defense, with his obvious impact on the offense he'd be an answer behind KP, next to a Kleber or Powell when Mavs need inside force and rim protection.  Because of his limited minutes Boban is never really in foul trouble so he should aggressively go after blocks at the rim with little fear of laying the body wood and putting people on the floor.  Just make the same sort of shot blocking effort that Kleber does so well.   Make them at least think about paying a price for attacking the Dallas rim.  Generally though, that instinct doesn't seem to be there. 

Go get another rim enforcer behind KP or coach up Boban's rim defense. Let him take a couple more hard fouls in his backup role, while going only after the ball of courseAngel 
Like Reply
(01-18-2020, 12:07 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: Portland's stars lavished praise on the Mavs' top guys. 

Carmelo said it made him happy to see KP smiling. He hopes that Dallas appreciates what they have in Luka. 

Dame thinks Luka should be MVP right now.

Tampering?
Well I approve of Dame trying to get himself to Dallas. He´d be alright as a #2 scoring option. Cool
Like Reply
(01-19-2020, 12:48 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Powell came crashing down to Earth this game after his 2 great performances. He barely produced on offense, and his interior defense was non-existent. Whiteside just destroyed Powell every which way.

Powell actually had a monster behind-the-scenes hustle stat line:  12 screen assists that lead to 29 points, 2 deflections, 15 contested shots (shots contested?), and 13 box-outs.  His own triple-double.

Not bad for a guy that had 8 points and 6 rebounds.
Like Reply
Trade talk is like a virus. It spreads and infects other threads! Treating the virus with wins doesn't even stop the spread!

(01-19-2020, 12:48 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Powell came crashing down to Earth this game after his 2 great performances.

2 great performances? He shot 82% on good volume while rebounding well for 8 games. Not surprising Dwight can't handle Whiteside under the basket.

Was Powell's low scoring due to missed shots or the ball swinging to others in this game?
Like Reply
(01-19-2020, 12:48 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: This was an odd game for me. On the one hand, it was an offensive explosion. Luka orchestrated quite the offensive performance and the Mavs at times seemed unstoppable. Yet there were also long stretches where they couldn't put the ball in the hoop. It was really a tale of two extremes, at random times, throughout the game, which for me gave it an odd pacing. Sometimes they played blistering fast, other times it droned on. Overall though it was wildly entertaining.

The defense was atrocious however. Blazers got anything and everything they wanted. There was zero interior defense most importantly. The Blazers were running a layup line to the rim and Whiteside was getting free shots left and right.  Powell came crashing down to Earth this game after his 2 great performances. He barely produced on offense, and his interior defense was non-existent. Whiteside just destroyed Powell every which way. Thankfully while Whiteside was having his way, he also made an innumerable amount of small mistakes. How many 3-second calls can a dude get before he understands he can't camp out in the paint?? 

But I don't want to make it seem like I'm just signaling out Powell. Make no mistake everyone besides Maxi was bad on D. Some players had some great runs like THJ in the 4th, who was in the passing lanes and was locked in. DFS tried to stay in front of Lillard but failed multiple accounts. 

All in all, seeing Luka hit the 2 game sealing shots in the final minute gave me such a high. Dude is one of the most entertaining players to see play that I've seen in a long time.
Agree that the interior defense was terrible. However, I thought the perimeter defense was pretty good, assuming the intent was to run the Blazers off the 3-point line. 

Also agree that DFS couldn't stay in front of Lillard. I'm not docking him a lot of points for that. The NBA is filled with guys who can't stay in front of Dame, lol. 

Agree that the game was entertaining, if a little spotty, and that Luka is a barrel of fun to watch.
Like Reply
(01-19-2020, 10:42 AM)DaRiv Wrote:
(01-19-2020, 12:48 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Powell came crashing down to Earth this game after his 2 great performances. He barely produced on offense, and his interior defense was non-existent. Whiteside just destroyed Powell every which way.

Powell actually had a monster behind-the-scenes hustle stat line:  12 screen assists that lead to 29 points, 2 deflections, 15 contested shots (shots contested?), and 13 box-outs.  His own triple-double.

Not bad for a guy that had 8 points and 6 rebounds.
I like that you show evidence of Powell's impact on the game, as opposed to just citing a box score or +/- stat.
Like Reply
From the eye test it looked like he did fine to me. As far as citing advanced stats...15 contested shots does not necessarily mean those were good contests. I would want to know the FG% against him which would tell how successful he was in his contests. Lots of guys try to contest shots, that doesn't mean it bothers the shooter. At any rate I thought Powell did fine. He wasn't put on Melo as I recall so he didn't have a guy who would light him up on defense.
Like Reply
(01-20-2020, 09:34 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: From the eye test it looked like he did fine to me. As far as citing advanced stats...15 contested shots does not necessarily mean those were good contests. I would want to know the FG% against him which would tell how successful he was in his contests. Lots of guys try to contest shots, that doesn't mean it bothers the shooter. At any rate I thought Powell did fine. He wasn't put on Melo as I recall so he didn't have a guy who would light him up on defense.

12/15 DFGA for Powell

for comparisation:

5/23 DFGA for Kleber
Like Reply
(01-20-2020, 09:43 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote:
(01-20-2020, 09:34 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: From the eye test it looked like he did fine to me. As far as citing advanced stats...15 contested shots does not necessarily mean those were good contests. I would want to know the FG% against him which would tell how successful he was in his contests. Lots of guys try to contest shots, that doesn't mean it bothers the shooter. At any rate I thought Powell did fine. He wasn't put on Melo as I recall so he didn't have a guy who would light him up on defense.

12/15 DFGA for Powell

for comparisation:

5/23 DFGA for Kleber

Ouch.

Bad for Powell; makes me love Maxi all the more.
Like Reply
(01-20-2020, 09:43 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: 12/15 DFGA for Powell

for comparisation:

5/23 DFGA for Kleber

That's ugly! DP gave up a very DP like shooting percentage.
Like Reply
(01-19-2020, 08:08 AM)Dahlsim Wrote: Go get another rim enforcer behind KP or coach up Boban's rim defense
You make some interesting points in your post, and I hear what you are saying. However, in terms of the Mavs, I would be surprised if they aggressively go after another big man mid-season. (If one falls into their lap, I think they would consider it, though.) The reasons -- 

When the Mavs put this roster together, they envisioned Luka as the fulcrum of the offense, and KP as the anchor of the defense. I don't think they are going to make substantial changes to address the issues caused by KP's absence if they indeed consider the absence a short-term problem. 

I have noted your questions about why the Mavs, especially when they have a lead, don't use Boban as an offensive tool and make the opponent match up to them, rather than trying to match up to the opponent. The reason that I think is most logical is that Rick is more concerned about molding his squad into a defensive machine than winning any particular game this season, and, with an eye to the future, he uses older guys who are not going to be part of that future (like Barea and Boban) sparingly. You hear this kind of philosophy from the players after games (this is just one game, the important thing is that the team is getting better, e.g.), and I assume this is emanating from Carlisle. 

In the summer, the Mavericks may well try to shore up the interior defense with new personnel in some more "permanent" way. Maybe even tweak it during the season if they see an opportunity that doesn't alter their grand plan. It's definitely an issue. 

As for coaching up Boban's defense, that would be great if he still has room to grow. I'm not sure the problem is that he is too gentle by personality, which might be a coachable thing. It seems to me that he is just a bit slow, and has limited mobility. If those are the issues, he might just be who he is at this stage in his career. 

Agree that this will be an issue to continue to keep an eye on.
Like Reply
(01-20-2020, 07:09 PM)mavsluvr Wrote:
(01-19-2020, 08:08 AM)Dahlsim Wrote: Go get another rim enforcer behind KP or coach up Boban's rim defense
You make some interesting points in your post, and I hear what you are saying. However, in terms of the Mavs, I would be surprised if they aggressively go after another big man mid-season. (If one falls into their lap, I think they would consider it, though.) The reasons -- 

When the Mavs put this roster together, they envisioned Luka as the fulcrum of the offense, and KP as the anchor of the defense. I don't think they are going to make substantial changes to address the issues caused by KP's absence if they indeed consider the absence a short-term problem. 

I have noted your questions about why the Mavs, especially when they have a lead, don't use Boban as an offensive tool and make the opponent match up to them, rather than trying to match up to the opponent. The reason that I think is most logical is that Rick is more concerned about molding his squad into a defensive machine than winning any particular game this season, and, with an eye to the future, he uses older guys who are not going to be part of that future (like Barea and Boban) sparingly. You hear this kind of philosophy from the players after games (this is just one game, the important thing is that the team is getting better, e.g.), and I assume this is emanating from Carlisle. 

In the summer, the Mavericks may well try to shore up the interior defense with new personnel in some more "permanent" way. Maybe even tweak it during the season if they see an opportunity that doesn't alter their grand plan. It's definitely an issue. 

As for coaching up Boban's defense, that would be great if he still has room to grow. I'm not sure the problem is that he is too gentle by personality, which might be a coachable thing. It seems to me that he is just a bit slow, and has limited mobility. If those are the issues, he might just be who he is at this stage in his career. 

Agree that this will be an issue to continue to keep an eye on.

Agreed that I'm not expecting the Mavs to actually pursue a rim protector.  As I said I like the current roster pretty well as is.  The main area to shore up at some point is rim protection behind KP and even with KP the lack of good physical bigs to counter the top front lines like AD/McGee/Howard. 
Pretty much the rest of the top teams in the league are going to have beat up Luka and the Mavs as their primary strategy. 

Good point on Carlisle opting for development over winning every winnable game.  That makes sense. 
On my man Boban being too gentle, sure he's slow but if you watch closely he's actually not so slow that he cannot close out and get to many of the drives at the rim. 
Sometimes he's right there to make the play at the rim or could easily get there especially with his massive wingspan and stride.  
He just doesn't seem to have those instincts and I'm not sure it is something he could be coached up on.  
I'd sure like to see the Mavs try though, because when he's in the game he does disrupt the general beat-up-rough-up-Dallas strategies used against Luka and company.
Like Reply