Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 109, '76ers 91
Mavs Fell Sixers in Comeback Blowout

Well, that's more like it! Mavs fall behind in first half, but return with a vengeance in the second. Great team win to close out the home stand at 3-3.

Game Story

KP was out for the Mavs. Philly was missing Joel Embiid. 

The first half was a nightmare. Rick started Maxi in KP's place, but the gambit failed to produce a favorable opening. The Mavericks turned the ball over and gave up offensive rebounds at a fiendish rate (not just because of Maxi, of course -- no one looked good). They were saved only by the Sixers' abysmal shooting, and went into the interval with a 41-50 deficit, representing an improvement from 12 points down. They had set a season record for fewest points scored in a half. The less remembered about that, the better. 

At halftime, one of the assistant coaches, Mike Weiner, gave a few well-timed words which Rick thinks motivated the team. They came out of the locker room with force, zoomed past the visitors about halfway through the third, and never looked back. In the fourth, they reached a double-digit lead that ultimately ballooned to as much as 21 points. Whew!

Analytics

This was a strange one. The Mavs put up a whopping 19 shots fewer than Philly, including a 10-try deficit in three-point attempts. Luckily for Dallas, the Sixers shot so poorly that the Mavs came out of the game with eight more points from the field than their opponent. The home team also had a 27-12 edge in free-throw attempts, and despite missing 9 free throws, came out way ahead on points from the line. At the final buzzer, the Mavericks were +2 on points from twos, +6 on points from threes, and +10 on made free throws. 

Dallas lost 16 points on turnovers, but had a 16-point advantage in second-chance points, despite giving up 14 offensive rebounds. The defense looked much better in the second half, with the Sixers limited to 41 points, and the offense clicked, serving up 68 points in the last 24 minutes. 

Players

Powell (35 min). It was a good night for the big man, who put up 19 points on 8-11 shooting, along with a season-high 12 rebounds. The FSSW crew complimented Dwight for stepping up in the absence of KP, putting the ball on the deck, shouldering part of the scoring load, crashing the boards, and doing a lot of dirty work. They particularly praised his energy and effort in the third quarter, when he led the team with 10 points. Powell is becoming a pretty reliable scorer, which could be an exciting development. 

Luka (33 min) had a 19-8-12 line. He made only 4 shots out of 15 attempts, but got to the line for a game-high 12 freebies. He turned the ball over 5 times, but three of those were in the first quarter, and he took better care of the ball once he calmed down. Despite not shooting very well, he had a positive impact on the game, and did a good job of staying within the flow of the offense as the game went along. 

DFS (32 min) had a steady performance, putting up 16 points on 7-10 shooting, and collecting 6 rebounds. Perhaps even more important than his contributions to the box score was his excellent defense. Cedric and Jet credited DFS and DP as two of the major factors in the victory. Doe Doe said after the game that he has the green light to decide whether to crash the offensive glass or get back on D on any given play, and feels that he has developed the ability to make good reads in that respect. Good progress!

Maxi (31 min) had 10 points and 8 boards in his starting role, and helped carry the defensive load in the front court. Rick thought Kleber played great. He would have loved to start Maxi every game in the last stretch, but cited some sort of minutes concern. Coach saw a need to play bigger and more physically against Philadelphia, so gave the German the nod to start. 

Tim (30 min) recorded 12 points and 9 boards, and at times took over the primary ball-handling activity, giving Luka some time to play off the ball. THJ clearly considers it his job to take the initiative to carry the scoring load when necessary. That can sometimes result in his trying to do too much, but it is good to see someone take that kind of responsibility. 

Rick thought that Jackson (16 min) did a terrific job spelling Maxi. Brunson fouled out in 10 minutes. Guarding Ben Simmons is hard. 

Boban (8 min) put up 12 points in short minutes, and was featured on the promotional materials in this game against his former team. Rick said he made some huge plays, and commended him for staying ready. A favorite among teammates, fans, and even the opponent, he drew cheers whenever he scored, and his game-ending three had the bench and crowd going wild, lol. Powell said seeing Bobi make the sixth three of his career was "sheer elation" and "utter joy." Even KP was jumping up and cheering from the bench, and Luka was celebrating like they had won the game of the century. Fun times!

Random Observations

Dirk was in the crowd, sitting next to Mark Cuban. When he was introduced on the Jumbotron, the ovation was so loud that the Sixers coaches had to give up on trying to explain the next play to their huddle, lol. Dirk kept an eye on his compatriot from Wurzburg, and appeared to enjoy the game. 

Kudos to Ryan Broekhoff and Ben Simmons for making a pre-game appearance to bring awareness to the fans regarding the disastrous wildfires in their homeland of Australia. 

Remarks

The Mavs entered the game looking like they had come straight from the Lakers match. Terrible. I was beginning to fear that the team was on some type of downhill spiral. But in the second half, their attentive defense and rebounding took away the Sixers' transition game, and they were able to take advantage of an underperforming Philadelphia team. The offense was really clicking, in a way we hadn't seen in a while, and that was satisfying. The crowd was very into it, and Rick thought that was a factor in the W. Great to see the Mavs looking like themselves again!

Next.  Golden State, in San Francisco, on Tuesday. 

Go Mavs!
Like Reply
Thanks for the great synopsis, as usual!  My biggest observation about this game, mainly from the second half, was the increased level of energy and aggressiveness.
Like Reply
Mavs once again seemed off in the beginning of the game but managed to bounce back. 

KP needs to come back ASAP. This team looks really off without him.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(01-12-2020, 05:24 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: Mavs Fell Sixers in Comeback Blowout

Well, that's more like it! Mavs fall behind in first half, but return with a vengeance in the second. Great team win to close out the home stand at 3-3.

Game Story

KP was out for the Mavs. Philly was missing Joel Embiid. 

Next.  Golden State, in San Francisco, on Tuesday. 

Go Mavs!
Quote:At halftime, one of the assistant coaches, Mike Weiner, gave a few well-timed words which Rick thinks motivated the team.

Coach Carlisle made a very strong point of this in the post game press conference.  I thought it was a very nice tough to highlight this assistant coach as Rick pointed out that he is nor normally the type to say much so when he did, it really got the teams attentions.  Assistant coaches matter too. Nice job!  Big Grin

Quote:This was a strange one. The Mavs put up a whopping 19 shots fewer than Philly, including a 10-try deficit in three-point attempts. Luckily for Dallas, the Sixers shot so poorly that the Mavs came out of the game with eight more points from the field than their opponent.

Give big props to the Mavs but also part of this story is that this Sixers team is pretty dysfunctional.  The offense is wildly underachieving and inconsistent for the talent level and it seem like Coach Brett Brown is very close to losing the team after years of being the Shepard over "The Process" that started in the Hinkie era.  
Brown can't get his star PG Ben Simmons to even take a minimum of ONE 3 pointer a game despite the fact that he publicly called Simmons out to shoot at least one.  

Simmons refusal to shoot outside kills their spacing flexibility. 
It was a debate for a little while but now its pretty clear as draft picks go Doncic (#3 pick) >> Simmons (#1 pick)

Quote:Powell (35 min). It was a good night for the big man, ... 

Maxi (31 min) had 10 points and 8 boards in his starting role, and helped carry the defensive load in the front court

Even though I'm probably the captain of team Boban for increased usage I've said before the development of Powell and Kleber is great for Mavs and deserves big props to the entire MBT.  Those 2 guys deserve to get the lion share of the minutes supporting and backing up KP. 

Speaking of Bobi! 
Quote:Boban (8 min) put up 12 points in short minutes, and was featured on the promotional materials in this game against his former team. Rick said he made some huge plays, and commended him for staying ready. A favorite among teammates, fans, and even the opponent, he drew cheers whenever he scored, and his game-ending three had the bench and crowd going wild, lol. Powell said seeing Bobi make the sixth three of his career was "sheer elation" and "utter joy." Even KP was jumping up and cheering from the bench, and Luka was celebrating like they had won the game of the century. Fun times!

Great stuff as always ML.  
Wow.  So when do I get to say "I told ya so." Mavsluvr when it comes to making the case Boban could help this team more?  Was it last game or so I commented on how others including even you were talking about the need for help at backup Big but mentioning names as if Marjonovic wasn't even on the roster? 

He's too gentle yes, but the Mavs don't have another guy that can put BEEF in the paint and force the opposing centers to stay occupied around the boards just fighting off his monster presence and avoiding fouls.  Here it was Sixers but the same would work for Lakers and others. 

This guy gets put and in and 9 times out of 10 produces at the very least on offense and the boards for Dallas in a way that Dallas simply has no other post presence to do.  Yes Luka is great but he's never going to be 7 foot + which at times just matters (Hello Jokic). 

One last point on this, I heard a bit of Carlisle interviewing on radio with Coop and he as asked about Boban and if he could / should be used more.  Carlisle essentially said there's no question Boban has always been an NBA ++ on offense.  His concern and limiting factor according to Rick is as we all know what happens on defense and most specifically on the PnR.  It sounds like its not even the 5-out stretch five that worries Carlisle but its Boban getting picked on in the Pick in Roll.  

So yeah, Carlisle is of course thinking about Boban's offense but he evidently just can't live with getting eaten up in the pervasive NBA pick in roll.  I give Coach credit there, defense can't be neglected in the NBA.  
At the same time my pet peeve is when the Mavs need to hold a lead over a short time and just scoring a few buckets could be enough to save a game.  
In the those situations its the other team has to get stops more than the Mavericks and that's when a devastating inside option can be the difference between an 'L' and a 'W'.
Like Reply
(01-12-2020, 02:49 PM)Dahlsim Wrote: Great stuff as always ML.  
Wow.  So when do I get to say "I told ya so." Mavsluvr when it comes to making the case Boban could help this team more?  Was it last game or so I commented on how others including even you were talking about the need for help at backup Big but mentioning names as if Marjonovic wasn't even on the roster? 

I don't think I ever suggested that Boban wasn't on the roster, lol. Iirc, I was talking about the action on the court and how none of the Mavs could stop the Lakers big men. I intended to refer to the guys on the court. That's how I remember it, anyway, and that was what I meant if I didn't phrase it well. Not saying now that Boban could have stopped them, either -- we'll never know, will we?

He's too gentle yes, but the Mavs don't have another guy that can put BEEF in the paint and force the opposing centers to stay occupied around the boards just fighting off his monster presence and avoiding fouls.  Here it was Sixers but the same would work for Lakers and others. 

Not accusing Boban of being too gentle. That's actually a quality about him that I like. When other guys who dunk are all full of sturm und drang, Bobi just calmly puts the ball in without even jumping. What a bad-ass move, ha. 

This guy gets put and in and 9 times out of 10 produces at the very least on offense and the boards for Dallas in a way that Dallas simply has no other post presence to do.  Yes Luka is great but he's never going to be 7 foot + which at times just matters (Hello Jokic). 

Can't argue with that. 

One last point on this, I heard a bit of Carlisle interviewing on radio with Coop and he as asked about Boban and if he could / should be used more.  Carlisle essentially said there's no question Boban has always been an NBA ++ on offense.  His concern and limiting factor according to Rick is as we all know what happens on defense and most specifically on the PnR.  It sounds like its not even the 5-out stretch five that worries Carlisle but its Boban getting picked on in the Pick in Roll.  

I believe that, and think it is why Rick is reluctant to overexpose him. It's risking giving the opposing guard a path to the basket every time. But, as you say, the same could be said of the other bigs in certain situations, and at least Marjanovic provides some offense.

So yeah, Carlisle is of course thinking about Boban's offense but he evidently just can't live with getting eaten up in the pervasive NBA pick in roll.  I give Coach credit there, defense can't be neglected in the NBA.  
At the same time my pet peeve is when the Mavs need to hold a lead over a short time and just scoring a few buckets could be enough to save a game.  
In the those situations its the other team has to get stops more than the Mavericks and that's when a devastating inside option can be the difference between an 'L' and a 'W'.
You make good points, dahl. All I can think of is that when it comes to choosing between development and maximizing wins this season, Carlisle prioritizes development. I think Boban is only getting minutes now because Rick has some sort of concern about the minutes of Maxi/Powell. Boban is not part of the long-term plan, so he doesn't get out much. I enjoy watching him, and would like to see him more. 
Like Reply
It was a good win , starters outside of Luka shot well when Mavs shoot well they look good
Like Reply
(01-12-2020, 06:16 PM)bartlettbear Wrote: when Mavs shoot well they look good

Its funny because I remember Pop saying a couple of years ago that you can predict who wins the game just by looking at who shot the 3 point shot better. And he was 100% right. 

Making shots usually means other things are clicking. Hopefully the Mavs can get hot and stay hot.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(01-12-2020, 07:09 PM)SleepingHero Wrote:
(01-12-2020, 06:16 PM)bartlettbear Wrote: when Mavs shoot well they look good

Its funny because I remember Pop saying a couple of years ago that you can predict who wins the game just by looking at who shot the 3 point shot better. And he was 100% right. 

Making shots usually means other things are clicking. Hopefully the Mavs can get hot and stay hot.
It's funny I remember Harp saying a couple years ago, something to the effect of -- when the Mavs make shots, they're a really good team!
Like Reply
That being said when they dont make shots they have to find away to play better D.
Like Reply
(01-12-2020, 12:36 PM)mtrot Wrote: Thanks for the great synopsis, as usual!  My biggest observation about this game, mainly from the second half, was the increased level of energy and aggressiveness.
Definitely improved in the second half.
Like Reply
(01-12-2020, 01:12 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Mavs once again seemed off in the beginning of the game but managed to bounce back. 

KP needs to come back ASAP. This team looks really off without him.
Saw that he has been upgraded to questionable. Apparently went through most of practice, but still not feeling well.
Like Reply
(01-12-2020, 02:49 PM)Dahlsim Wrote: Give big props to the Mavs but also part of this story is that this Sixers team is pretty dysfunctional.  The offense is wildly underachieving and inconsistent for the talent level and it seem like Coach Brett Brown is very close to losing the team after years of being the Shepard over "The Process" that started in the Hinkie era.  
Brown can't get his star PG Ben Simmons to even take a minimum of ONE 3 pointer a game despite the fact that he publicly called Simmons out to shoot at least one.  

Simmons refusal to shoot outside kills their spacing flexibility. 
It was a debate for a little while but now its pretty clear as draft picks go Doncic (#3 pick) >> Simmons (#1 pick)
Good points, dahl. I have watched the Sixers with interest, ever since their super-tanking Process began with Hinkie. What was supposed to result in a Generational Dynasty hasn't, so far, and their rebuilding effort doesn't appear to have progressed any faster than conventional processes have. They may still get there, but, as you say, they still seem pretty dysfunctional.
Like Reply