Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
2024 Playoffs- 2nd Round: Oklahoma City Thunder - Dallas Mavericks- MAVS WIN 4-2!
(05-06-2024, 02:52 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I know better than to write this post as I'm doing it, because minds have never been more closed about Hardaway, but...

...I'm low-key hopeful that he can make a difference in this series. Obviously, he won't help much if he's still in that awful slump, but if he's NOT, then the team sure could use the shooting. Like, a LOT. Even if he's not hitting, he's at least willing to attempt open shots, which is more than I can say for Exum in round 1. That's why I don't get down on Washington every time he misses - because just knowing their man is willing and unafraid to shoot keeps defenders honest. Hardaway will FOR SURE be another to check that box, and consequently must be accounted for in game plans, even more than DJJ, who has been hitting his fair share of open shots.

Green looks like his rhythm is starting to come around, and I'm all for that. But, the goal should kind of be for DJJ to be the ONLY guy out there the defense thinks they can get away with not guarding (kind of like what we're expecting with the Mavs and Giddy). If it's just him (DJJ), then I have a fair amount of confidence that he'll hit enough of the open ones, along with finding creases to cut into from time to time, that he'll be able to stay out there and keep playing his stellar defense. But, if they're having to play Exum and DJJ together, which seems more likely now that Kleber is out of the mix, AND Washington isn't hitting, well...that's a recipe for OKC to take the entire pick and roll away from Dallas.

Like it or not, we should all be hoping Hardaway is able to remedy that to some useful extent.

For THJ to deserve to see the floor, his nose needs to be shoved into first round game film of the work Luka and Kyrie did on defense. I don't care if he has the hottest hand in the league on offense - if he hurts the defense the smallest iota, he can't play meaningful minutes.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scott41theMavs's post:
  • Lukedoncic
Like Reply
(05-06-2024, 03:27 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: For THJ to deserve to see the floor, his nose needs to be shoved into first round game film of the work Luka and Kyrie did on defense. I don't care if he has the hottest hand in the league on offense - if he hurts the defense the smallest iota, he can't play meaningful minutes.

Hyperbole aside, you do realize he is 100% going into the rotation, correct? I don't know to what extent, but Hardaway is going to play. Kidd literally said "Well, we're losing Maxi, but getting Timmy back, so that's how we'll look at it."
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • DallasMaverick, Lukedoncic
Like Reply
(05-06-2024, 01:06 PM)Winter Wrote: The elephant in the room is Hardaway.

Kidd will give him minutes. The positive side of me says Hardaway will likely understand that his defense will be critical, and that he has to be a two-way player to get his minutes. He will also need to make a few of those shots he didn't make in the second half of the season.

Hardaway is more important than he should be - or that I wish he was. But the fact is that we don't have much offensive horsepower on the bench and we really do need him in this series. No one in our playoff rotation has real NBA playoff experience except him now that Kleber is out.
I might be crazy, but i just have this feeling that THJ will have a couple Peja games in him during this postseason. He’s long overdue for a hot streak. If we can get some defense and a couple charges out of him, that’ll be a bonus! And as you said, with Maxi out we really need a few points from somewhere on the bench.
“BE CURIOUS, NOT JUDGMENTAL…”
[-] The following 3 users Like OBX Maverick's post:
  • DallasMaverick, KillerLeft, The Jom
Like Reply
(05-06-2024, 01:06 PM)Winter Wrote: The elephant in the room is Hardaway.

Kidd will give him minutes. The positive side of me says Hardaway will likely understand that his defense will be critical, and that he has to be a two-way player to get his minutes. He will also need to make a few of those shots he didn't make in the second half of the season.

Hardaway is more important than he should be - or that I wish he was. But the fact is that we don't have much offensive horsepower on the bench and we really do need him in this series. No one in our playoff rotation has real NBA playoff experience except him now that Kleber is out.

I missed this post until OBX quoted it. But, yes! This is where I am, too. 

Kleber WAS the team's bench scoring in round 1. That's important, because he's gone. Who, but Hardaway, has any chance of filling that void (and frankly, improving upon it in an ideal version of the near future). 

Do I think he'll be successful in this series? No idea, his last month of the season was BAD. But, I feel like we have no choice but to hope.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • Lukedoncic
Like Reply
(05-06-2024, 03:29 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Hyperbole aside, you do realize he is 100% going into the rotation, correct? I don't know to what extent, but Hardaway is going to play. Kidd literally said "Well, we're losing Maxi, but getting Timmy back, so that's how we'll look at it."

Sure, I expect them to try it. If his play hurts the team and then they continue to play him, I reserve the right to be really upset about it.
[-] The following 2 users Like Scott41theMavs's post:
  • KillerLeft, Lukedoncic
Like Reply
Following these last few posts, I think we can assume he knows it's the playoffs and he has to be different defensively.

What I really don't want him to do is to pretend he's a shot creator on offense. I want him to shoot the three ball on catch-and-shoots, not try to back down his defender on some iso-dream or force his way on a drive and make some errant pass. Leave the shot creator job to the big boys.

Catch-and-shoot = yes
Transition three = yes
Defend like you mean it = yes

Dribble more than three times = no
Take advice from your dad = no
Pretend you're really good = no
[-] The following 5 users Like Winter's post:
  • Jmaciscool, KillerLeft, Knutsen, Lukedoncic, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
Outstanding breakdown of the series. I highly recommend everyone watches the whole thing:

https://youtu.be/IUnLLCeeveA?si=RGz-XDsGCzibnn3F
Like Reply
(05-06-2024, 04:43 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Sure, I expect them to try it. If his play hurts the team and then they continue to play him, I reserve the right to be really upset about it.

I hesitate to say this but… I, for the first time in two years, am fairly optimistic that if THJ starts to hurt this team with his minutes, Kidd will pull him. Kidd surprisingly started to resemble an actual NBA head coach during the last series... He’s even calling timeouts instead of just “watching” like the rest of us!!
[-] The following 2 users Like soog's post:
  • MFFL, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(05-06-2024, 05:10 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Outstanding breakdown of the series. I highly recommend everyone watches the whole thing:

https://youtu.be/IUnLLCeeveA?si=RGz-XDsGCzibnn3F

Thanks for posting this. I checked for the video this morning...it must have dropped in the last couple of hours..

No one better at this game than Jason's "Hoops Tonight" video.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Winter's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
Grant Afseth (@GrantAfseth)
Jason Kidd on frontcourt options without Maxi Kleber: "Oklahoma's not a big team. ... We can look at Kieff, DP, PJ, we got quite a few bigs that we can go to, so we're not short on bigs."
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
I was pretty confident that we would beat the Clippers, especially since Leonard was going to be hobbled at best.

OKC is a slightly different beast. I THINK we'll beat them, we match up pretty well. But I can see where their internal cohesion will be a difference maker - they all know what to do since they have played together all year without any significant injuries. And Maxi was one of my keys to the series. Bleh.

I still think Mavs in 6 again.
Like Reply
Without access to Maxi, the 8-man is shaken up. Mavs will have to play smaller, and Green (and Exum, who was not himself at all in the first round) will have to step up big time.

The rotation should essentially be:
Kyrie 36 Luka 12
Luka 24 Exum 16 Green 8
DJJ 18 Exum 10 Green 20
PJ 36 DJJ 12
Gafford 24 Lively 24

THJ will certainly be given a large chunk of Exum and Green's 2-guard minutes unless/until he poops the bed.
Like Reply
THJ against the Thunder? Don’t care. Don’t need him. Won’t have a long enough leash to kill us. Maybe the rest and a slow re-entry will help him find his 3 ball.

But next round? With the Wolves at the door? We will be grateful for a 30% Timmy chuck on some possessions. Denver coulda used that tonight in place of what Jamal Murray is bringing to the table. Heck, a 30% chuck would improve their shooting percentage.
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
Like Reply
Shaq and Chuck pick OKC. Shaq says they’ll have it easy. Chuck says 6 or 7 games, and Dort will have an easy time defending Luka.

Kenny and Ernie mocked their “easy” takes and both picked Mavs in 7.
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
Like Reply
My concern is how bad will Luka's knee limit his efficiency and overall stamina throughout the series and, of course, losing Maxi. Kleber is a big loss, which will limit or versatility and threat of outside shooting.
Like Reply
@GrantAfseth
Jason Kidd says Tim Hardaway Jr. will be available when the Dallas Mavericks play Game 1 against the OKC Thunder.

Hardaway has participated in the Mavs’ practices after Game 6 of their first-round series.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/dallasmavs/status/17...6695522728

Great video of Kyrie getting hyped and Luka well... being Luka lol
Like Reply
(05-06-2024, 09:21 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Without access to Maxi, the 8-man is shaken up. Mavs will have to play smaller, and Green (and Exum, who was not himself at all in the first round) will have to step up big time.

The rotation should essentially be:
Kyrie 36 Luka 12
Luka 24 Exum 16 Green 8
DJJ 18 Exum 10 Green 20
PJ 36 DJJ 12
Gafford 24 Lively 24

THJ will certainly be given a large chunk of Exum and Green's 2-guard minutes unless/until he poops the bed.

Luka averaged over 42 minutes and Kyrie averaged 40.  I don't know that they are going to play less in this series.  I would pencil both in for 40 per game.

PJ and DJJ have been crucial, and will be even more so with no Maxi.  I think their minutes will go up.

Exum played 8 minutes a game and looked terrible doing it.  Not sure what his problem is, but I wouldn't pencil him in for 26 minutes until I see some sign that he is back to what he was earlier in the season.

I see something like:

Luka:    42 
Kyrie:    40
PJ:        40
DJJ:      36
Gaff:     24
Lively:   24
Green:  16

That leaves 18 minutes for Timmy and Exum.  My guess is Timmy gets a crack at them and we find out if we have pre TDL Timmy or post TDL Timmy.
Like Reply
(05-07-2024, 09:30 AM)mvossman Wrote: Luka averaged over 42 minutes and Kyrie averaged 40.  I don't know that they are going to play less in this series.  I would pencil both in for 40 per game.

PJ and DJJ have been crucial, and will be even more so with no Maxi.  I think their minutes will go up.

Exum played 8 minutes a game and looked terrible doing it.  Not sure what his problem is, but I wouldn't pencil him in for 26 minutes until I see some sign that he is back to what he was earlier in the season.

I see something like:

Luka:    42 
Kyrie:    40
PJ:        40
DJJ:      36
Gaff:     24
Lively:   24
Green:  16

That leaves 18 minutes for Timmy and Exum.  My guess is Timmy gets a crack at them and we find out if we have pre TDL Timmy or post TDL Timmy.

I am going to be interested to see how Exum responds.  It seems like round 1 he just didn't have the space he had during the regular season.   I am not sure if that was just playoff basketball or the size the Clippers had.  Or maybe he just feeling the pressure a tad.  

I expect the OKC series to have the floor more spread out and i think Dallas will need more ball creation on the floor.  OKC is probably going to try to really pressure Luka.   Getting the 15-20 minute per game Exum game would really help here.   Having him make good decisions with the ball is also important.  OKC thrives on turnovers.   If Mavs can keep track of the ball, I think this will be one of the keys to the series.  One team who get a lot of turnovers vs one team that doesn't turn the ball over a lot.   

I do wonder if we see some Luka at PF with a big.  Something like Lively, Luka, Jones, Green, Exum.   Maybe Hardaway instead of Jones to allow us to spread the floor but also make OKC worried about a big going to the rim or waiting at the rim on defense.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • mvossman
Like Reply
I wonder if we will see some Twin Towers action given the shortage of options with Kleber out. Maybe we have a 4-5 minutes overlap to get both closer to 30 minutes.
Like Reply