Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
2024 Playoffs- 2nd Round: Oklahoma City Thunder - Dallas Mavericks
[Image: GN3drpGXkAE3yHo?format=jpg&name=large]

Ref assignments for game 6. Can't help but wonder why Tony Brothers has gotten to ref 2 games this series. 

Records for each team with these refs:

Mavs record this year with these officials:

Brothers: 3-3
Tiven: 1-5
Ervin: 3-2

OKC record this year with these officials:

Brothers: 4-1
Tiven: 3-1
Ervin: 4-2

Mavs have to actually win by 30 to win by 5 this game.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(4 hours ago)KillerLeft Wrote: . . . 

What I can't quite figure out is why, once foul trouble isn't a problem in the 2nd half, Lively isn't playing more in general. He's so clearly the superior player.

I have wondered whether playing defensive, hustle guys (Josh, Maxi, Dereck) limited minutes is about the amount of energy required to do what they’re doing. And the desire to have them fresh to do it in shorter, more effective stints. 

Perhaps this is your answer?
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
[-] The following 2 users Like The Jom's post:
  • Arioch, KillerLeft
Like Reply
I think it's situational. Gafford and Lively are both getting about the same minutes in the playoffs. In three of the five OKC playoff games, Lively has had three fouls on him while playing most of the 4th quarter I think (I haven't' checked to quarter minutes). That feels to me like they're protecting him for the right time - and with little worry. And I agree with Jom that both centers need the rest as they are being asked to handle much on the interior as well as screen and close out on the perimeter periodically. But it feels like Lively is being trusted in the 4th quarter now, and that's where he needs to be at his best.

The fact that Lively seems to have really mastered his coverage without fouling is pretty surprising for a rookie.
[-] The following 2 users Like Winter's post:
  • KillerLeft, The Jom
Like Reply
(3 hours ago)The Jom Wrote: I have wondered whether playing defensive, hustle guys (Josh, Maxi, Dereck) limited minutes is about the amount of energy required to do what they’re doing. And the desire to have them fresh to do it in shorter, more effective stints. 

Perhaps this is your answer?

Very possibly. It's a good thought. 

Still, even if that is the case, I'd be tempted to push the boundaries a little, in case "the line" isn't where I thought it was. Kidd probably has a better idea of where that is than any of us, having played all of his life and seeing how the guys do in practice, etc, but I personally can't shake the feeling that Lively could be out there more. 

You've added a good point, though.
Like Reply
(2 hours ago)Winter Wrote: I think it's situational. Gafford and Lively are both getting about the same minutes in the playoffs. In three of the five OKC playoff games, Lively has had three fouls on him while playing most of the 4th quarter I think (I haven't' checked to quarter minutes). That feels to me like they're protecting him for the right time - and with little worry. And I agree with Jom that both centers need the rest as they are being asked to handle much on the interior as well as screen and close out on the perimeter periodically. But it feels like Lively is being trusted in the 4th quarter now, and that's where he needs to be at his best.

The fact that Lively seems to have really mastered his coverage without fouling is pretty surprising for a rookie.

To add to your point, I think the untimely injury to Maxi was a blessing in disguise for the development of Lively, because I’m quite sure that Kidd would have gone with PJ at the four and Kleber at the five in the fourth quarter to finish the games. Simply because he trusts him more because he‘s been in that situation oftentimes. Now Kidd was forced to go with Lively and I think he and we as a team benefited greatly from it.
Like Reply
(1 hour ago)Knutsen Wrote: To add to your point, I think the untimely injury to Maxi was a blessing in disguise for the development of Lively, because I’m quite sure that Kidd would have gone with PJ at the four and Kleber at the five in the fourth quarter to finish the games. Simply because he trusts him more because he‘s been in that situation oftentimes. Now Kidd was forced to go with Lively and I think he and we as a team benefited greatly from it.

I agree that LIVELY has benefited from Kleber's injury due to an increase in high-leverage playoff minutes, but I think the team would've won the series in 5 (possibly even 4) if that Kleber/Washington lineup was available to use. It's the best thing the Mavs had going down the stretch, and that's honestly not very debatable.
Like Reply
(1 hour ago)KillerLeft Wrote: I agree that LIVELY has benefited from Kleber's injury due to an increase in high-leverage playoff minutes, but I think the team would've won the series in 5 (possibly even 4) if that Kleber/Washington lineup was available to use. It's the best thing the Mavs had going down the stretch, and that's honestly not very debatable.

I don’t have a strong opinion on that specific point, because I can’t really tell if the team benefited in this series by having Lively end games in place of Maxi or not. Has Lively lost us game 1 or game 4 in the end or would we have lost those two with Maxi as well? And how would the PJ and Kleber lineup stack up against this particular opponent, would Chet be able to dominate the boards and give them second chances and limit us to one shot? Would Maxi be able to shut down the paint and make life as miserable as possible for SGA like Lively did in game 5? I have no idea. 

In the long term the team will definitely benefit from it because it further speeds up Lively‘s maturation, him being able to knock down those crucial crunchtime free throws for example.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Knutsen's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(59 minutes ago)Knutsen Wrote: I don’t have a strong opinion on that specific point, because I can’t really tell if the team benefited in this series by having Lively end games in place of Maxi or not. Has Lively lost us game 1 or game 4 in the end or would we have lost those two with Maxi as well? And how would the PJ and Kleber lineup stack up against this particular opponent, would Chet be able to dominate the boards and give them second chances and limit us to one shot? Would Maxi be able to shut down the paint and make life as miserable as possible for SGA like Lively did in game 5? I have no idea. 

In the long term the team will definitely benefit from it because it further speeds up Lively‘s maturation, him being able to knock down those crucial crunchtime free throws for example.

Ah, I get you now. You’re saying the TEAM benefits because LIVELY benefits. Yeah, I totally agree with that.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • Knutsen
Like Reply
(1 hour ago)Knutsen Wrote: To add to your point, I think the untimely injury to Maxi was a blessing in disguise for the development of Lively, because I’m quite sure that Kidd would have gone with PJ at the four and Kleber at the five in the fourth quarter to finish the games. Simply because he trusts him more because he‘s been in that situation oftentimes. Now Kidd was forced to go with Lively and I think he and we as a team benefited greatly from it.

I think that's a valid take. The Mavs have will more information to work with in the future.
Like Reply