Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 1 Playoffs 2024: Dallas Mavericks (0-0) vs. Los Angeles Clippers (0-0)
Clippers played well. Endangered animal. They didn’t play awesome. Great energy though. Mavs didn’t start the game with playoff energy. Hopefully that is the last time we see that. They deserve the pain they are going to hear from the media for the next few games.
Like Reply
I think Mavs shown their worst and Clippers perhaps their best. They were shooting the lights out even on several difficult shots, while Mavs couldn't buy a bucket in the first half. Center line, or our third star as some like to call it, was nowhere to be found. Maxi is useless on offense. What could be expected, Clippers took away Mavs PnR as a lot of other good teams have. Put Zubac on DJJ and protect him from getting in the PnR.

The positives. PJ played excellent defense on George. Luka was decent on Harden. Second half was ok, but difficult to say how much did the Clippers just took the foot of the pedal due to the high lead.

Doesn't matter, it is just game one. Those who though Clippers will be easy got their answer. Needless to say Mavs need to win next one. They need to get more from "the other guys". Centers did nothing, "shooters" were 3 of 15 from three. Don't play THJ anymore, Green was much better.
[-] The following 2 users Like omahen's post:
  • Lukedoncic, Smitty
Like Reply
DJJ very good defensively but unplayable offensively. We need his defense on Harden so he has to be able to contribute something offensively. This was really not unexpected. But what was surprising was Zubac dominating Gifford. I did not see that coming. I didn’t see enough of Lively guarding Zubac to see any difference so no comment there. If Zubac continues to own Gafford our only choice is to start Lively. But I was also tell Luka to drive at Zubac as often as possible attempting to draw fouls and get him out of the game. Really can’t tell much from the second half even though the Mavs won the half because the game was essentially over at halftime. But at least it might generate some confidence. In game 2 I would like to see more Lively, and more Luka/Ky/Exum with Maxi and PJ. That is probably our best lineup going forward. It was a disappointing loss, but home team has won every playoff game thus far. Series doesn’t start until home team loses a game. Flush this turd and move on
Like Reply
(04-21-2024, 04:50 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: I think Mavs are going to need Green in this series to match guys like Manns energy.

THJ played 16 min in this game and Green had 9 min.  They should have been reversed.
[-] The following 1 user Likes chaparral's post:
  • MarkAguirreWrathofGod
Like Reply
(04-21-2024, 05:11 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Yep, mavs made a point in the second half of the season to be bigger than most teams, get more easier baskets, and defend the rim better than most teams.  The need to win the matchup.

Sure, Kleber is a nice change of pace for quick segments but I don’t think he is the answer for long runs.  My opinion

Problem is that they need to be able to do two things. Prevent Zubac from playing bully ball in the paint. Slow down Harden in the pick and roll. I am more hopeful when it comes to Zubac. Don't see how Lively or Gafford playing drop defense is a viable option against Harden. Basically the Luka formula performed by the original inventor. Can make any read for a pass under the rim or to the open shooter on the perimeter. Can shoot the step back. Can put the defender on his back and slow down to draw the foul or finish at the rim.
I think you have to switch the pick and roll. Or hope that Harden has his usual meltdown and shoots way below his season/career averages for the rest of the series.
Like Reply
Also, Kidd got owned in this first game. Mavs obviously weren't prepared, Clippers were. Clippers out of time out plays were successful every time. Why the hell didn't he used at least one challenge is beyond me. Did something to lift the team. Lets see if watching and letting players figure it out will have a better long term result than a short term win like using a challenge on that Harden three pointer.
[-] The following 3 users Like omahen's post:
  • Luka77, MarkAguirreWrathofGod, surfpuckmd
Like Reply
Slow start doomed the Mavs for sure.

Take away only Q1 (say if Mavs production had matched Clips): DAL 75 vs LAC 75
Take away only Q2 (say if Mavs production had matched Clips): DAL 89 vs LAC 87

Tale of 2 halves:
1st Half DAL 30 vs LAC 56
2nd Half DAL 67 vs LAC 53

Didn't feel like that during the game just because Clips built such a healthy lead. Again as someone said, it was without Leonard so missed opportunity but they just can't afford to come out cold or play from behind.
Like Reply
Luka didn't have a great game, but Mavs were still +3 in 42.5 minutes he played, which means they were -15 in 5.5 minutes he didn't play. Mavs lost first half by 26, but were "only" -15 in 20.5 Luka minutes and -11 in 3.5 minutes he didn't play. His second half was very good on both ends.

You can't to have mistakes as THJ afforded in the first half and hope to win a playoff game.

I think Mavs will not change much rotation wise in game 2, but individual players will approach game differently. They need to get Zubac in the PnR. They also need to force more transition opportunities, which might be done more easily if Clippers miss more shots.
Like Reply
One thing to consider. Up to now, Mavs were always the underdogs in every series they played in the playoffs in the Luka era. First time they are considered as favorites, especially with Kawhi out in game 1. I expect them to show a much different face in game 2, or I will be bitterly dissapointed. The series start will be fully successful, if they win the second game in LA.
[-] The following 2 users Like omahen's post:
  • Chicagojk, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(04-21-2024, 05:37 PM)omahen Wrote: Also, Kidd got owned in this first game. Mavs obviously weren't prepared, Clippers were. Clippers out of time out plays were successful every time. Why the hell didn't he used at least one challenge is beyond me. Did something to lift the team. Lets see if watching and letting players figure it out will have a better long term result than a short term win like using a challenge on that Harden three pointer.

Kidd got owned because Lue is a better coach and tactician. He drew up great plays out of TO's. I never see Kidd doing that.
Like Reply
(04-21-2024, 05:55 PM)omahen Wrote: One thing to consider. Up to now, Mavs were always the underdogs in every series they played in the playoffs in the Luka era. First time they are considered as favorites, especially with Kawhi out in game 1. I expect them to show a much different face in game 2, or I will be bitterly dissapointed. The series start will be fully successful, if they win the second game in LA.

I wasn't fully surprised the Mavs lost today.  I was worried about the Clippers coming out desperate after hearing that they have no chance against the Mavs without Leonard.  That concerned me.   The Clippers shot well enough to win today as well.   

I was surprised how the Mavs came out though.  They played with more urgency in some of their regular season games during the streak.    Hopefully that is the last we say that.   From the start, the Clippers were the more aggressive, desperate team.   Luka took a 3 on the first possession and then Kyrie gave up an offensive rebound on the first shot.  

Credit Lue too.  I liked how he changed the narrative from the beginning.   Mavs have been bullying teams during their streak. Lue tried to set the tone and be the bully.  I am sure Zubac has been challenged by Lue leading up to today.  It worked.  Zubac was fantastic.  Mavs really need Gafford and Lively to be factors in this series.  Hopefully the stage is not too big for them.
[-] The following 3 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • Lukedoncic, omahen, Smitty
Like Reply
what the saying...a series doesn't really start until a team wins on the road. It would certainly have been great to steal game one and cast all sort of doubt on the short handed Clippers team who has seen a lot of heartbreak. It didn't happen and I honesty don't feel great with their performance today. Not close to the team we have seen the last few months. Lets hope if was just a bad start and hit in the jaw that got them off rhythm early and couldn't fully recover.
Like Reply
(04-21-2024, 05:37 PM)omahen Wrote: Also, Kidd got owned in this first game. Mavs obviously weren't prepared, Clippers were. Clippers out of time out plays were successful every time. Why the hell didn't he used at least one challenge is beyond me. Did something to lift the team. Lets see if watching and letting players figure it out will have a better long term result than a short term win like using a challenge on that Harden three pointer.

Pretty sure the challenge failure was the assistants, who are tasked with watching the replay and telling Kidd what they saw.
Like Reply
(04-21-2024, 06:09 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: I wasn't fully surprised the Mavs lost today.  I was worried about the Clippers coming out desperate after hearing that they have no chance against the Mavs without Leonard.  That concerned me.   The Clippers shot well enough to win today as well.   

I was surprised how the Mavs came out though.  They played with more urgency in some of their regular season games during the streak.    Hopefully that is the last we say that.   From the start, the Clippers were the more aggressive, desperate team.   Luka took a 3 on the first possession and then Kyrie gave up an offensive rebound on the first shot.  

Credit Lue too.  I liked how he changed the narrative from the beginning.   Mavs have been bullying teams during their streak. Lue tried to set the tone and be the bully.  I am sure Zubac has been challenged by Lue leading up to today.  It worked.  Zubac was fantastic.  Mavs really need Gafford and Lively to be factors in this series.  Hopefully the stage is not too big for them.

The Clipps were winning lots of games without Kawhi in the last month or two. Kidd had plenty of scouting material, and the players should have known that the Clipps minus Kawhi were as good as they were at their best.
Like Reply
The lack of scoring off the Bench was majorly evident in this game.

The Mavs someone that can light it up off the bench. That's suppose to be THJ but he is woefully in this role.

Other than Luka or Kyrie no one can be trusted to consistently put the ball in the basket.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Luka77's post:
  • MarkAguirreWrathofGod
Like Reply
At the end of the day, some stuff was just a hot LA team but mostly, the Mavs centers really failed. Other stuff is fixable, but Gafford, DLive, and Maxi have to bring it next game.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ThisIStheYear's post:
  • surfpuckmd
Like Reply
Only one game.

I think Mavs win series...or at least they should unless they forget to rebound, go mysteriously cold or Clippers cant miss...

I also think Mavs arent showing everything they can do offensively...

But...I think the value/bargain bin shopping is starting to show.

Gotta go get an expensive 2-way that you can count on scoring wise.

PJ's defense on ball is good. He was pumping himself up...he knew he was playing good defense against Paul George. Good for him.
Like Reply
(04-21-2024, 07:53 PM)youzigizag Wrote: Only one game.

I think Mavs win series...or at least they should unless they forget to rebound, go mysteriously cold or Clippers cant miss...

I also think Mavs arent showing everything they can do offensively...

But...I think the value/bargain bin shopping is starting to show.

Gotta go get an expensive 2-way that you can count on scoring wise.

PJ's defense on ball is good.  He was pumping himself up...he knew he was playing good defense against Paul George.  Good for him.

PJ played decent D, but George still scored 22 pts to PJ'S 11. Harden and Zubac did most of the damage.
Like Reply
Kidd is going to keep going to THJ first to try and catch a heater. If that’s the plan, then maybe run some action to try and get him a couple of shots that aren’t stand there and shoot when Luka/Kai kick it to you.

When you go Maxi/PJ frontcourt, run the PnR with PJ instead of Maxi. At least present the appearance of an offensive threat from the screener.

Challenge Gafford’s manhood because Zubac took it from him in game one.

Play Exum 25+ minutes. He does disappearing acts but he’s at least competent with the ball in his hand and can defend multiple Clippers.

Lastly, DJJ and Green need to split whatever minutes you allot to that POA defender and be unleashed to play 100 mph for short stints.

Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk.
[-] The following 2 users Like MaxiThreeba's post:
  • Lukedoncic, surfpuckmd
Like Reply
(04-21-2024, 08:59 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: PJ played decent D, but George still scored 22 pts to PJ'S 11. Harden and Zubac did most of the damage.

They played same amount of minutes...

Did George score all 22 on PJ?

Saw PJ make a few good stops on George.

I'll tell you what...PJ is becoming a favorite of mine because he gets hyped up at his own defense.   He wants to play good defense.  I dont know what his assignments are on defense or if he is not good at team defense...but his on ball seems to be pretty darn good.

Mavs need a guy that can get a shot off against good defense.
Like Reply