Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game 68: Denver Nuggets (47-20) vs. Dallas Mavericks (38-29)
[Image: GImQoc7XEAABsrA?format=jpg&name=large]
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
What a treat. The Suns/Bucks game is on ABC before this one. Mavs could find themselves in a 3-way tie for the 6th seed (technically 7 seed based on win %) or it could be a disaster and Mavs fall to 2GB, with a Suns win + Mavs loss, and only 8 games above .500 with 14 games to go.

Surprisingly, the Mavs opened as only +2.5 dogs and are currently +3.5. That seems to indicate that Luka will play despite his sore hamstring.

Luka or no Luka this one will be tough. Denver has won 11 of 12 and look like the best team in the league again. The Mavs will be without Josh Green and possibly Exum which means more THJ and some Hardy...
[-] The following 1 user Likes Smitty's post:
  • Lukedoncic
Like Reply
Omax recalled. I don’t expect to see him in the rotation. Lawson would probably get the call before him anyway..and Lawson probably isn’t in the rotation. Against a tall Denver team though, Dallas may need to look for options if Jones were to get in foul trouble.

When you beat Denver, you always feel like you got lucky. They just make it so tough to get a win (outside of the few games when they don’t have it). Dallas isn’t at that level but that is one of the next steps for Dallas. Having a team feel like they got lucky beating you…even when you don’t have your A game. Boston and Denver are the two teams who give me that feeling.

Also Dallas will need to be connected on defense. Denver gets great shots on most possessions anyway. But you just can’t leave there really good players wide open due to poor or lazy rotations
Like Reply
Hope our guys got inspired by Iowa State’s defense. Now that was locked in defense!
Like Reply
Basically have to hope for an off shooting night for Murray and Porter Jr. And even then just hope Jokic doesn't destroy you.

If Luka is 100% we have a chance. I fear he isn't though and is just going to tough it out. 40 from Luka and 30 from Kyrie still probably won't be enough.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(03-17-2024, 09:31 AM)Smitty Wrote: What a treat. The Suns/Bucks game is on ABC before this one. Mavs could find themselves in a 3-way tie for the 6th seed (technically 7 seed based on win %) or it could be a disaster and Mavs fall to 2GB, with a Suns win + Mavs loss, and only 8 games above .500 with 14 games to go.

Giannis not playing today, so that’s a huge break for the Suns.
Like Reply
@TheSteinLine

The expectation, I'm told, is that Luka Dončić will return to Dallas’ lineup today after missing Thursday's trip to Oklahoma City with left hamstring soreness.

The Mavericks host Denver and Luka pal Nikola Jokić in a St. Patrick's Day matinee.
  • SleepingHero
Like Reply
(03-17-2024, 12:16 PM)Knutsen Wrote: Giannis not playing today, so that’s a huge break for the Suns.

Bobby Portis is playing though.
  • Lukedoncic
Like Reply
Luka is amazing man.

Dude always finds a way to show up.
Like Reply
(03-17-2024, 12:54 PM)Smitty Wrote: Bobby Portis is playing though.

So the Suns are shooting 55 percent in the first half - and are down by 22 points? Amazing!
Like Reply
(03-17-2024, 01:08 PM)Knutsen Wrote: So the Suns are shooting 55 percent in the first half - and are down by 22 points? Amazing!

Bucks have made 18 3's in the 1st half alone, for a 82-60 score. Portis has 25 off the bench.
Like Reply
Nuggets won 5 in a row. They are due for a loss.
Like Reply
Dallas Mavericks Starters vs. Denver Nuggets:

G Kyrie Irving
G Luka Doncic
F Derrick Jones Jr.
F P.J. Washington
C Daniel Gafford
Like Reply
Good start!
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • Smitty
Like Reply
Luka looks healthy. DJJ look like he hurt his hand/shoulder though? Maybe I’m just seeing things.
Like Reply
(03-17-2024, 02:45 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Good start!

Helps when they hit shots. And the opponent misses.
Like Reply
(03-17-2024, 02:46 PM)Smitty Wrote: Luka looks healthy. DJJ look like he hurt his hand/shoulder though? Maybe I’m just seeing things.

I think he banged it on the rim when he tried to dunk that rebound.

Speaking of him, my issue with this lineup is that possessions inevitably breakdown to the point where he is left to attack off of the dribble. Not my favorite weapon in the Mavericks arsenal. But, Green is hurt, so I suppose there’s not much else to do.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • Smitty
Like Reply
Nice to finally have some interior resistance against the Nugs.
“BE CURIOUS, NOT JUDGMENTAL…”
Like Reply
I think this might be a long day for the Mavs. After a good start, Denver, very calmly adjusted on both ends of the floor, and the last stretch was ugly.

Good time out from Kidd. Let’s see if he has anything to offer.
Like Reply
And just like that a 13-2 run for Denver. Mavs can’t hit anything.
Like Reply