Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game 65: Dallas Mavericks (36-28) vs. Chicago Bulls (31-33)
(03-12-2024, 07:29 AM)surfpuckmd Wrote: I suppose I see the argument about Gafford vs Lively starting as reasonable either way.  I like the idea of injecting Gafford's energy off the bench when the Mavs are lethargic.  I'm also fine with that intensity being expressed at the beginning of the game.

Gafford's limitation is that he compounds our biggest defensive weakness which is slow defensive rotations.  I think he would be more effective if Luka, Kyrie and THJ weren't such limited defensive players.  I think we also can't really be sure what he's being told to do defensively.  Maybe Kidd would rather give up some open 3-pointers than allow uncontested parades to the basket when Gafford is in the game.  

What I don't like though is the argument that we only need one capable center.  Many of the league's best teams employ a defensive "dinosaur" at center.  Somehow the Celtics have survived the season with Porzingis defensively.  Horford is no longer fleet of foot as his backup.  They actually play Luke Kornet occasionally as well who is only 7'2" and neither quick nor rangy.  The Timberwolves have been one of the league's best teams with 3 of their top 6 players as bigs.  

I think many teams would rather not spend the salary or assets to have two expensive centers.  I think we need two bigs though.  Lively has been unexpectedly excellent but he has been often injured and often in foul trouble.  I think Maxi brings some positive things to the game but is not fit to compete with bigs like Jokic, Nurkic, Valanciunas or Gobert.  I also like the high-efficiency finishing of our bigs as a supplement to our offense that is highly reliant on 3-point shooting.  Luka is no longer getting calls on drives to the basket so we need some more efficient offensive strategies.  Having PJ shooting 30% from 3 and Maxi shooting 32% is hurting our offense.  Gafford and Lively hitting 70% at the rim is the antidote to that.  Luke plus a big who can finish at the rim is an awesome combination.  

Also, We lost against the Warriors a couple years ago partly because we were dominated on the boards by Kevon Looney.  Gafford and Lively will prevent us from being dominated at the rim and on the boards. 

Despite some recent struggles, I really like our roster right now.  Even if we lose in the first round of the playoffs, I think we have the ingredients on this team now to be a contender.  We might just need a little more experience and another coach.

I disagree with one thing you said. I think you're overstating Lively's unreliability to some extent. He didn't choose to have his face/nose broken, and otherwise he's fine. Doesn't change the fact he can't play 48 mpg, and I agree with everything else you said. Great post.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scott41theMavs's post:
  • surfpuckmd
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Game 65: Dallas Mavericks (36-28) vs. Chicago Bulls (31-33) - by Scott41theMavs - 03-12-2024, 07:40 AM