Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game 65: Dallas Mavericks (36-28) vs. Chicago Bulls (31-33)
(03-11-2024, 10:41 PM)surfpuckmd Wrote: I'm actually really enjoying reading this conversation about our centers and specifically Gafford.  

I'm a big Gafford and I really like what he's bringing us.  I would prefer he be our backup big rather than start though.  I think his ferocity as a rebounder and finisher is exactly what we needed off the bench.  I really appreciate the constant effort that he plays with.  

I understand the plus/minus data isn't good for Gafford thus far but I believe that will improve with time.  I think he made need some time and experience to catch up within our defensive system.  Especially as Jason Kidd is not really a very good communicator and coach.  

Gafford's advanced stats were really good with the Wizards so it's not a stretch to think they'll improve with the Mavericks.  

Most NBA teams continue to play a center in most lineups so I think it's wise to have two capable ones on our roster.  Lively has been hurt a lot and spends a lot of other time in foul trouble.  Gafford is the solution to those problems.

I said this in another thread but I like him as the starter. I don’t care about advanced stats.The Tyson quote of “Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face” comes to mind. I love the way he plays bully ball underneath. I love the way he goaltends shots off of the backboard. I love the ferocity of his dunks. He brings an edge this team has missed since we had guys like Deshawn Stevenson and Tyson Chandler. That’s why I like him starting - that aggression helps set the tone of the game, a tone this team desperately needs.

As a wise man once said, “ Listen, I like milk drinkers, but I don’t like too many milk drinkers”

And to your point of having two centers - let’s remember many roads in the playoffs eventually lead to the likes of Denver or Philly. Having two centers of this caliber will be key if the Mavs are fortunate enough to face either of them.
[-] The following 3 users Like soog's post:
  • BigDirk41, michaeltex, surfpuckmd
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Game 65: Dallas Mavericks (36-28) vs. Chicago Bulls (31-33) - by soog - 03-11-2024, 10:54 PM