Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game 62: Indiana Pacers (34-28) vs. Dallas Mavericks (34-27)
Good things from this are THJ having a very short leash the instant he forces something really stupid and Gafford actually getting playtime against a 5 out team. Luka couldn't get any rest cause of being so far behind early and started shooting everything short mid/late 2nd half.
Like Reply
What is this? Luka's 4th straight 30 point triple double? In a loss? Some people are unhappy with this. Call him a ball hog, showboat...and other things.

I say it's because Luka is forced to do it to try and stay competitive with the opponents.

Is it the team? I say not necessarily. I'm with those who are unhappy with the coaching.

A while ago, in a poll, I voted for "Kidd will not be fired before the end of the year no matter what." I pray that I am wrong. Please, Please!...let me be wrong.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ballsrchr's post:
  • surfpuckmd
Like Reply
Pacers share the ball. That's how you win in this league. They had 9 players in double figures. Mavs had 4. You can have 2 primary scorers, but you need consistent help off the bench. Key word is consistent.
[-] The following 2 users Like HoosierDaddyKid's post:
  • audiosway, KillerLeft
Like Reply
I think it is time to stop arguing on lineups and playing time. A serious team does not play like that in the past two games with what is on the line. I would expect something better even if Luka was out.

Unfortunate it lies on Kidd and the team leaders.
[-] The following 3 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • BigDirk41, RoyTarpleysGhost, SleepingHero
Like Reply
Jason Kidd needs to be fired....Rick has coached circles around him in their two match ups.

Kidds rotations are gawd awful. The fact he keeps trotting THJ out there, brick after brick, is the definition of insanity.
Like Reply
The Dallas Mavericks had a "great film session" on Monday, seeking to clean up the NBA's worst defense since the All-Star break.

Suffice to say, no one paid attention at the film session.  To me, it's obvious the Mavs have tuned out Kidd.  In my opinion, the loss at Cleveland was the one that changed the course of this season.  Even though we won the next night at Toronto, our defense has been awful ever since.
Like Reply
Meeting after the game in the locker room going on still according to townsend

Hopefully it’s the big meltdown we need
Like Reply
(03-05-2024, 11:39 PM)Jason Terry Wrote: Meeting after the game in the locker room going on still according to townsend

Hopefully it’s the big meltdown we need

players only?
Like Reply
Nothing will matter until a new coaching staff is here. You can have all the meetings you want. The scheme just makes the Mavs play off their heels the whole game. Constant penetration. No defensive concepts to keep players in front of you. And the offensive scheme is even worse. No ball movement.
[-] The following 4 users Like ThisIStheYear's post:
  • Branduil, Luka77, MarkAguirreWrathofGod, Mavs2021
Like Reply
Its not that they don't want it, but that defense is just beyond hopeless. One screen by offense and defense completely falls apart.
[-] The following 2 users Like omahen's post:
  • Mavs2021, surfpuckmd
Like Reply
Are we seriously blaming Luka? Heck I'm not putting the blame on the players anymore.
We've said for years how badly we've needed a rim rolling 5 that can play defense. Well we got it in Lively.
We've said for years how badly we need some rebounding at the center position. Well we got it in Gafford.
We've said for years how badly we need a 2-way wing that can create off the dribble. Well we got it in PJ.
We've said for years how badly we need some more ball creation from the wings. Well we got it in Exum.

The talent is there. The coach is not. At some point you have to blame the system these players are forced to play in. The choices Kidd makes is asinine. Pacers entire gameplan was to build a wall around Luka.
Look here:
https://www.nba.com/stats/events?CFID=&CFPARAMS=&ContextMeasure=TOV&EndPeriod=0&EndRange=28800&GameID=0022300892&PlayerID=1629029&RangeType=0&Season=2023-24&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&StartPeriod=0&StartRange=0&TeamID=1610612742&flag=1&sct=plot%C2%A7ion=game

(Q3. 1:28 remaining) 
Pause at 4 seconds. Pacers have Mathurin trailing. Smith is playing high walling up. And here's the key, Toppin is sinking 1 pass away to create a wall. You also have Sheppard shading baseline so if Luka throws the lob he's there to provide some resistance but he's not shading too far so that if Luka kicks it to Exum for a corner shot he can contest that too. So basically 4 guys are on Luka and Gafford.

So why am I bringing this up? Obviously this is a scheme related issue. Why is Kyrie in the corner effectively out of the play? Why is DJJ above the break so Toppin is allowed to build this wall? Further, this was the Pacers strategy the entire game, so WHY IN GOD'S GREAT EARTH DID KIDD NOT ADJUST? Pacers basically said we aren't guarding your wing guy because we know the pass isn't going to him.

This team plays so one dimensional on offense and their entire shot diet are hard contested iso shots that to build any consistency from it is impossible.

Then on defense here is a great example of why Kidd is a fucking dolt: 

https://www.nba.com/stats/events?CFID=&CFPARAMS=&ContextMeasure=FG3A&EndPeriod=0&EndRange=28800&GameID=0022300892&PlayerID=1641767&RangeType=0&Season=2023-24&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&StartPeriod=0&StartRange=0&TeamID=1610612754&flag=3&sct=plot§ion=game

(Q4, 11:22 remaining) 

Carlisle knows and understands Kidd's scheme. Kidd is entirely happy to give up the corner 3. He truly does not care about it. How do I know? Every single time our guy who is supposed to cover the corner sinks basically to the paint and allows a kick out. McConnell is smart. He knows this. Watch Kyrie sink below the basket, to the point where he's stacked with PJ right at the rim. There is zero reason for him to do this, and it gives up a wide open 3.

https://www.nba.com/stats/events?CFID=&CFPARAMS=&ContextMeasure=FG3A&EndPeriod=0&EndRange=28800&GameID=0022300892&PlayerID=1630167&RangeType=0&Season=2023-24&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&StartPeriod=0&StartRange=0&TeamID=1610612754&flag=3&sct=plot§ion=game

(Q3, 0:19 remaining)

Another example. Maxi sinks to cover the mismatch. The only reason why the Pacers get this mismatch is because DJJ and Kyrie don't preswitch to prevent a wide open cut. Result? Wide open 3.

https://www.nba.com/stats/events?CFID=&CFPARAMS=&ContextMeasure=FGA&EndPeriod=0&EndRange=28800&GameID=0022300892&PlayerID=204456&RangeType=0&Season=2023-24&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&StartPeriod=0&StartRange=0&TeamID=1610612754&flag=3&sct=plot§ion=game

(Q4, 8:41 remaining)

So now you have the players who by this point are traumatized at giving up the open 3. To the point where Kyrie himself just runs out to the 3pt line early and forgets he needs to cover the basket first.

https://www.nba.com/stats/events?CFID=&CFPARAMS=&ContextMeasure=FGA&EndPeriod=0&EndRange=28800&GameID=0022300892&PlayerID=1631097&RangeType=0&Season=2023-24&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&StartPeriod=0&StartRange=0&TeamID=1610612754&flag=3&sct=plot§ion=game

(Q2, 4:05 remaining) 

Here is another example of literally zero defensive cohesion. Pause at 3 seconds.  Luka has sunk all the way into the paint to prevent Turner from catching the ball. At the same exact time you have PJ literally underneath the basket...why? To cover Turner? Isn't that's what Luka is there for? This is Kidd's scheme shining through to once again allowing the corner.

But wait! There's more! Kyrie for whatever reason is just behind Turner, instead of covering the skip pass like he should be doing as he's the safety guarding 2 on 1. Haliburton makes an incredible read and Kyrie can't get the steal. After that, it's a single pass away from a wide open 3 for Mathurin. Lively tries to contest and does a valiant effort considering, but the fact this shot became available was due to such a stupid breakdown earlier.

Kidd was out coached plain and simple.

My only silver lining is that should the Mavs somehow miss the playoffs AGAIN, I don't see how Kidd survives. Relationships be damned.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 3 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • ballsrchr, Scott41theMavs, surfpuckmd
Like Reply
(03-05-2024, 11:13 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: Pacers share the ball. That's how you win in this league. They had 9 players in double figures. Mavs had 4. You can have 2 primary scorers, but you need consistent help off the bench. Key word is consistent.

That's good coaching. Rick destroyed Kidd tonight. Kidd is just not a good coach. I was afraid of this when they hired him.
We didn't make the cut but thanks for all the support!
[-] The following 1 user Likes audiosway's post:
  • HoosierDaddyKidd
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/MavsHighlights/statu...7PoFSI3ohQ&s=19

Luka is pissed.

Jason Kidd on how he can clean up the defense:

“We tried everything. We switched, switched to hit, we went zone…For us it’s about the rotations, not giving up the corner 3…We’ll go back, look at the film, and see what we can do better…This is actually a great test for us…”

https://x.com/townbrad/status/1765243564265521412?s=20

Jason Kidd on staying positive: "Rome wasn't built in a day. 2011 wasn't built in a day. Right? And so, there's only a few of us in that locker room who have won at the highest level. And so it's for us to help these young men get through this tough
Jason Kidd on the Mavs' struggles: "We got the personnel. ... This is a great test for us to go through a hard time in March because it only gets harder in April, May, and June. This is a great test to be tested in the sense if we're going to let go of the rope or we're going to continue to come to work."

https://x.com/townbrad/status/1765238403124146449?s=20

Luka: "We gotta do something...we gotta be better... Positivity. Markieff spoke. He’s always speaking, helping us a lot. A lot helping me too…He’s the voice in the locker room. We all should listen to him.”
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • ballsrchr
Like Reply
I have to say that I was UNHAPPY with Kidd being hired to replace Rick.

Then I thought I was wrong during the WCF run...
So give Kidd some trust...

Now I was right initially, but we've crapped 3 years of Prime Luka away with flawed rosters and even worse coaching. I thought we would struggle post-Rick due to his greatness at BLOB and SLOB strategies as well as his attention to execution following timeouts. I miss those things, but this is so much worse.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/BiasedSlightly/statu...0281559324

Like WHY IS MAXI TOUCHING THE PAINT HERE? DO THEY NOT TRUST LUKA? LET THEM THROW THE BALL TO TURNER FIRST BEFORE YOU COLLAPSE AND GIVE A WIDE OPEN 3.
Like Reply
So much to say about defensive scheme... As I said earlier, Mavs looked like they did want it. I couldn't say they were lazy. They are just outplayed by totally basic stuff. Start of the game, basically every single time Haly-Turner PnR. Mavs in drop coverage, Green can't get around the screen and it is 5 on 4 every single time.

https://www.nba.com/stats/events/?CFID=&CFPARAMS=&GameEventID=21&GameID=0022300892&Season=2023-24&flag=1&title=Haliburton%2014%27%20Driving%20Floating%20Jump%20Shot%20(2%20PTS)%20(Turner%202%20AST)

https://www.nba.com/stats/events/?CFID=&CFPARAMS=&GameEventID=16&GameID=0022300892&Season=2023-24&flag=1&title=Lively%20II%20S.FOUL%20(P2.T1)%20(M.Kogut)

https://www.nba.com/stats/events?CFID=&CFPARAMS=&GameEventID=45&GameID=0022300892&Season=2023-24&flag=1&title=Turner%201%27%20Cutting%20Finger%20Roll%20Layup%20Shot%20(9%20PTS)%20(Haliburton%201%20AST)

https://www.nba.com/stats/events?CFID=&CFPARAMS=&GameEventID=49&GameID=0022300892&Season=2023-24&flag=1&title=Haliburton%2018%27%20Pullup%20Jump%20Shot%20(4%20PTS)%20(Nesmith%201%20AST)

THJ gets in for Green and immediately same story (go wonder why...)

https://www.nba.com/stats/events?CFID=&CFPARAMS=&GameEventID=56&GameID=0022300892&Season=2023-24&flag=1&title=Turner%2012%27%20Jump%20Shot%20(11%20PTS)%20(Haliburton%202%20AST)

Lively forgetting Turner can shoot

https://www.nba.com/stats/events/?CFID=&CFPARAMS=&GameEventID=34&GameID=0022300892&Season=2023-24&flag=1&title=Turner%2026%27%203PT%20Jump%20Shot%20(5%20PTS)%20(Nembhard%201%20AST)

https://www.nba.com/stats/events?CFID=&CFPARAMS=&GameEventID=42&GameID=0022300892&Season=2023-24&flag=1&title=Turner%2016%27%20Turnaround%20Jump%20Shot%20(7%20PTS)%20(Nembhard%202%20AST)

These are just first 5 minutes of the first quarter

I just can't get the links to work, I don't have the option for copy as link Sad I will try more

edit2: looks like I made it
[-] The following 2 users Like omahen's post:
  • SleepingHero, surfpuckmd
Like Reply
Seems like Kidd´s strategies work for about a year, then the rest of the league has figured them out, just like with the Bucks. Just like with the Bucks the stars liked Kidd. He connects with them, but for winning the Mavs should have put great assistants like Stotts around him, cause I think the assistant coaches are a sh*tshow, too. Probably Cuban being cheap again. Seems pretty obvious that if you think, you need Kidd to keep Luka/Kyrie in check, then you hire the experienced assistants for the X´s and O´s. Otherwise should have gotten Nick Nurse or now get Budenholzer.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mavs2021's post:
  • rocky164, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(03-06-2024, 03:31 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Seems like Kidd´s strategies work for about a year, then the rest of the league has figured them out, just like with the Bucks. Just like with the Bucks the stars liked Kidd. He connects with them, but for winning the Mavs should have put great assistants like Stotts around him, cause I think the assistant coaches are a sh*tshow, too. Probably Cuban being cheap again. Seems pretty obvious that if you think, you need Kidd to keep Luka/Kyrie in check, then you hire the experienced assistants for the X´s and O´s. Otherwise should have gotten Nick Nurse or now get Budenholzer.

There was plenty of evidence with Kidd system working for a year and then collapsing, yet Mavs chose to trust him. Right now we see exactly the thing plenty of us were worried about would happen. 

I am more or less sure the assistants are on Kidd. He ran Kokoskov away because he was affraid of him. He likes to surround himself with yes-sayers that don't endanger him. Sweeney has been with him every time. Every time with same system that just doesn't work.
Like Reply
Really feels like Kleber and Irving cannot handle more than a few games in a row. Kleber had an incredible run after his return from injury but looks slower than he did just two weeks ago.
Kyrie was incredible in february but the last three games were a disaster on the defensive end and sloppy on offense.

Overall team performance isn't helping them because they aren't getting any breaks and are desperately needed to prevent a complete collapse but I wouldn't be suprised if they miss more than just 1-2 games in the next few weeks.

Kyrie is better than KP ever was but when it comes to durability it is the same story. And Kleber is still the same old Kleber. On a good team he would probably get the Iggy treatment. Bubble wrapped during the regular season. Playing starter minutes in the playoffs.
But the Mavs aren't in a position where they can afford to give both of them extended rest. And it feels like they are running both of them into the ground. Something that we already saw in past seasons (Bullock and DFS after the WCF, Luka post allstar break last season).
[-] The following 1 user Likes dirkfansince1998's post:
  • Smitty
Like Reply
(03-06-2024, 07:55 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Really feels like Kleber and Irving cannot handle more than a few games in a row. Kleber had an incredible run after his return from injury but looks slower than he did just two weeks ago.
Kyrie was incredible in february but the last three games were a disaster on the defensive end and sloppy on offense.

Overall team performance isn't helping them because they aren't getting any breaks and are desperately needed to prevent a complete collapse but I wouldn't be suprised if they miss more than just 1-2 games in the next few weeks.

Kyrie is better than KP ever was but when it comes to durability it is the same story. And Kleber is still the same old Kleber. On a good team he would probably get the Iggy treatment. Bubble wrapped during the regular season. Playing starter minutes in the playoffs.
But the Mavs aren't in a position where they can afford to give both of them extended rest. And it feels like they are running both of them into the ground. Something that we already saw in past seasons (Bullock and DFS after the WCF, Luka post allstar break last season).

Yep. It's good to see someone else talking about this. It's a real issue. Maxi can't hold up to an NBA season, certainly not 20+ MPG. Kyrie is just as injury prone and if/when he plays against Miami, it will be his 14th consecutive game played. Something he hasn't done since the 2017-2018 season.

Also, the starting lineup plays roughly 12 of the 48 minutes each game. That is a problem. For comparison, Pacers starting 5 plays ~26 minutes a night together.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Smitty's post:
  • MarkAguirreWrathofGod
Like Reply