Poll: Who gets the Dirkie?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Josh Green (6pts, 2rbd, 2ast, 2stls, +20)
0%
0 0%
DJJ (8pts, 4rbd, 1ast, 1stl, +23)
0%
0 0%
Maxi (12pts, 12rbd, 3ast, 1stl, 1blk, +26)
10.20%
5 10.20%
Kyrie (25pts, 6rbd, 8ast, 1stl, +32)
4.08%
2 4.08%
Luka (32pts, 8rbd, 9ast in only 3 quarters! +18)
4.08%
2 4.08%
THJ (10 pts, 1rbd, 1ast, 1stl, +28)
0%
0 0%
PJ Washington (14pts, 5rbd, 1ast, 1stl, 6/10 FG, +24)
4.08%
2 4.08%
Daniel Gafford (19pts, 9rbd, 1blk, in 17 mins, +9)
77.55%
38 77.55%
Hardy (11pts, 3ast, 1stl, in 10 mins, -5)
0%
0 0%
Total 49 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 53 DIRKIE: Gafford by a mile
[Image: GGBVv-NW0AASwVB?format=jpg&name=large]
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • MarkAguirreWrathofGod
Like Reply
(02-10-2024, 06:40 PM)JamesConway912 Wrote: - Loved Gafford but I think it’s pretty obvious that he’s perfectly suited in that bench role. He could end up being BWright on steroids here off the bench going forward.

What makes you say this?
Gafford is a legitimate threat to start (although I am opposed to this idea, basically because if I were Kidd I wouldn't shatter Lively's confidence-- the order of things must be established. DLive is the future and deserves a starting role, and Gafford needs to know he is in support role).

I haven't seen much of Gafford, and as a Mav, it's only one game, so this evaluation is just for one game: Gafford provides the toughness inside. I'm not saying Lively isn't (broken nose and all, still finished the game), but to me, Gafford is the "get-out-of-my-way" type of nasty. Lively's a rookie so maybe he develops that too, but for now, Gafford has the edge in toughness.  Whereas Lively would relish the matchup against Chet, Gafford seems like he doesn't care who's in front of him.

The real question for me is -- who stays in the last 5 minutes of a highly contested game when both Lively and Gafford are healthy.
Like Reply
I could see that maybe Gafford is "suited" to the role in the sense that he can bring real energy off the bench - something that's really helpful to a team that may start flat. But in terms of actual talent, Gafford is likely a starter on most NBA teams I would think. He moves well, gets up in the air, screens, and blocks out. He was averaging 26 MPG before he got here.

I could see where a team might go small and force him to the perimeter more, but I don't see that many starting centers that look better than he does.
Like Reply
probably start Lively but close with Gafford until Lively proves he can hit 70%+ of his FTs. Also matchup dependent, need length go Lively, strength go Gafford. Could also close with Maxi/PJW if perimeter d is the focus and need to not allow any 3s.
[-] The following 4 users Like Jakeospikez's post:
  • KillerLeft, Mavs2021, mvossman, RGP1981
Like Reply
(02-11-2024, 09:30 PM)Jakeospikez Wrote: probably start Lively but close with Gafford until Lively proves he can hit 70%+ of his FTs. Also matchup dependent, need length go Lively, strength go Gafford. Could also close with Maxi/PJW if perimeter d is the focus and need to not allow any 3s.

This is astute.

End of game free-throw shooting is obviously super important, and while I haven’t even checked their percentages yet, Gafford seemed very comfortable at the free throw line the other night. 

Plus, Kleber/Washington is a pretty damn good option to close a lot of games.
Like Reply
(02-11-2024, 08:39 PM)Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo Wrote: What makes you say this?
Gafford is a legitimate threat to start (although I am opposed to this idea, basically because if I were Kidd I wouldn't shatter Lively's confidence-- the order of things must be established. DLive is the future and deserves a starting role, and Gafford needs to know he is in support role).

I haven't seen much of Gafford, and as a Mav, it's only one game, so this evaluation is just for one game: Gafford provides the toughness inside. I'm not saying Lively isn't (broken nose and all, still finished the game), but to me, Gafford is the "get-out-of-my-way" type of nasty. Lively's a rookie so maybe he develops that too, but for now, Gafford has the edge in toughness.  Whereas Lively would relish the matchup against Chet, Gafford seems like he doesn't care who's in front of him.

The real question for me is -- who stays in the last 5 minutes of a highly contested game when both Lively and Gafford are healthy.

Depends on matchups, and how the opposing team wants to play offense. If Gafford’s lack of foot speed and lateral mobility aren’t being exploited, he plays. If Lively’s lack of bulk isn’t being exploited, he’s probably in there.

Decisions likely to be made in real time.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DallasMaverick's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
(02-11-2024, 10:51 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: Depends on matchups, and how the opposing team wants to play offense. If Gafford’s lack of foot speed and lateral mobility aren’t being exploited, he plays. If Lively’s lack of bulk isn’t being exploited, he’s probably in there.

Decisions likely to be made in real time.

Too bad our in-game decision maker lacks the skill of decision making.
Like Reply
[Image: znwetg7kythc1.png?width=750&auto=webp&s=...28f6a3f5e5]

I think we have our most popular Dirkie poll in a LONG time.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • ballsrchr
Like Reply
(02-10-2024, 06:12 PM)Tyler Wrote: Man, what a game! Gafford and PJ made all the difference. My only regret is not being able to vote for Nico Dennis Lindsey.

Fixed your post! Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes RGP1981's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply