Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TRADE: PJ Washington+ 2 2nds To DAL | G. Williams+ Curry+ 2027 FRP (top 2 protected)
(02-08-2024, 07:28 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Williams is younger than PJ and we were sure that he would improve...

He still might. But, there is not much improving that can fix a locker room where everyone hates him, which there is more and more smoke pointing towards.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • MFFL
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 07:20 PM)bodhisattva Wrote: Maybe you are right about Gafford, but I remember putting it into a trade machine at the time and it worked. Maybe Washington insisted on Bertrans, but it wasnt such a big difference in terms of role they played at the time.

Bullock I dont care about. Its the fact we gave Bullock AND a PICK SWAP for WILLIAMS, and 6 months later we are giving Williams and a FIRST ROUND PICK, for a player, who might turn out to be just as usefull as Williams.

In some companies, you would get fired for doing business like this.
I am optimistic and hope for the best, but no need to do mental gymnastics to convince yourself this is a good deal for Mavs.  If you look at it from a neutral point of view its just incompetent front office work, that has been going on for 15 years.

For the most part NBA moves are a zero sum game, so an average FO is going to have as many failures as successes.  If you hyper focus on the failures, you are going to be disappointed with just about every FO.  I would agree that every Mavs offseason since the Luka draft has been an overall failure, until this last one.  The GWill failure has been more than balanced out by Lively, Exum and DJJ.  If they continue to have offseasons like this last one, we should be in really good shape soon.

(02-08-2024, 07:34 PM)bodhisattva Wrote: Also this...
Hope you are right, but again a fans optimistic point of view.
Experience shows, we will probably be attaching 2 second round picks to PJ to trade him for Naz Ried or something similar about a year from now.
Again. I like Gafford, I am not so sure about PJ, but my opinion is Mavs didnt move much up with this 2 trades. Its a linear trade at a cost of loosing more draft capital, that is now close to 0. As in last 5 years Mavs are taking gambles in hopes, one of the players will have a breakthrough and his value would increase significantly. Newsflash, it doesnt work 95% of the time. Maybe Exum, but he was good for like 5 games before he went down.

That experience is based primarily on pre Lindsey days.  I'm hopeful that we started a new FO era with Lindsey on board.
[-] The following 4 users Like mvossman's post:
  • DallasMaverick, MFFL, Reunion Mav, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 06:32 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: It's a big risk. Mavs are gambling on his upside. Apparently they didn't see it with Williams. A gamble that only lasted a few month. Williams was the 7th/8th man on a contender. PJ 6th man on a tanking team. If PJ doesn't improve the Mavs are in trouble.

I agree. PJ has been objectively bad this year.

Just went to get dinner and had it on local Sports radio. Both the sports radio stations in Dallas were spinning “The Mavs really wanted PJ Washington all along and had to settle for Grant Williams in the summer when they couldn’t get PJ.” 

Maybe he’ll be more like Dinwiddie and become a lot better here.
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 07:28 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Williams is younger than PJ and we were sure that he would improve...

This is the classic sports forum argument of when you trade for a guy, 2/3 of people try to look for excuses he was struggling with his current team and 1/3 of people are like maybe but he sucked. 

I’ve been on these stupid forums too long.
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 08:57 PM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: This is the classic sports forum argument of when you trade for a guy, 2/3 of people try to look for excuses he was struggling with his current team and 1/3 of people are like maybe but he sucked. 

I’ve been on these stupid forums too long.

People see what they want to see. That's just how it is. You can talk yourself in and out of a player. Depending on the person you ask PJ is a three level scoring threat and plus defender that dropped 43 points just a few weeks ago. Or he is the guy that struggled to get consistent minutes on a bad team.
[-] The following 2 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • DallasMaverick, omahen
Like Reply
Is it already clear which SRP Mavs got?

According to Spotrac they received 2024 and 2028 picks. Charlotte has Boston SRP in 2024 (their own already traded) and has LAC and their own picks in 2028. So at least 2024 doesn't look to be a particularly valuable pick
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 05:47 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: There are reports out now that Luka was a really big fan of bringing Washington in… I heard it right from Woj’s mouth. I really am excited about the player. I just have to trick myself into stopping all thought related to draft capital. Like, ever again.

Ok Killer. Draft capital is down and was used to get rid of 2 out of the rotation salaries, 1 disappointing rotation player and overall making our salary use better. To compensate for the draft capital loss we kept all of our youth who have both player and trade value. We gained at the very least 2 rotation players for the loss of one. We hope the quality and position fit is way better but time will tell. 

Most comforting thought for you perhaps:  young players with legitimate trade value are worth as much as draft picks. We have plenty of 2nds to add to a young player as well. In Team Nico we trust. 

Question. Is Finley still part of the committee?
[-] The following 2 users Like Reunion Mav's post:
  • DallasMaverick, MFFL
Like Reply
Pointed out on Discord, PJ Wash has shot either 39 or 40% on catch n shoot 3’s for the last 4 years.
[-] The following 5 users Like ItsGoTime's post:
  • BigDirk41, KillerLeft, MarkAguirreWrathofGod, mvossman, Smitty
Like Reply
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 4 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • BigDirk41, DallasMaverick, MFFL, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(02-09-2024, 01:02 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Pointed out on Discord, PJ Wash has shot either 39 or 40% on catch n shoot 3’s for the last 4 years.

Where are you seeing this?  The numbers on NBA.com don't appear to agree with that.
Like Reply
Washington will be able to do what Christian Wood was supposed to be able to do here, and unlike Wood, Washington CAN play the 4 (Dan will be happy). And, he's not a terrible defender like Wood.
Like Reply
(02-09-2024, 04:22 PM)mvossman Wrote: Where are you seeing this?  The numbers on NBA.com don't appear to agree with that.
I didn’t go look for it myself, just took his word for it. Cjeter on Discord.
Like Reply
Tim MacMahon (@espn_macmahon)
The second-round picks the Hornets are sending the Mavericks in the P.J. Washington trade are Boston’s 2024 and the less favorable of Charlotte’s and the LA Clippers in 2028.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 08:53 PM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: I agree. PJ has been objectively bad this year.

Just went to get dinner and had it on local Sports radio. Both the sports radio stations in Dallas were spinning “The Mavs really wanted PJ Washington all along and had to settle for Grant Williams in the summer when they couldn’t get PJ.”
I don´t get how the Mavs think that makes it any better. I doubt the Hornets stance on PJ changed since the summer. They likely could have gotten Washington in the summer for the current price, without making the Williams 2030 1st round pick swap detour. 

I like the players. I like the trades. How we got there, once again cost us more assets than it should have.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mavs2021's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 08:53 PM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: Both the sports radio stations in Dallas were spinning “The Mavs really wanted PJ Washington all along and had to settle for Grant Williams in the summer when they couldn’t get PJ.” 

I think this may be true.  I recall PJ being asked later (pre-season I think) about Dallas and free agency and he said he came really close to going there.  Curious what the price was then vs. now.
Like Reply
(02-09-2024, 11:50 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Tim MacMahon (@espn_macmahon)
The second-round picks the Hornets are sending the Mavericks in the P.J. Washington trade are Boston’s 2024 and the less favorable of Charlotte’s and the LA Clippers in 2028.

Looks like Nr.60 this season. A little bit of hope both Charlotte and LAC will be bad in 2028. But not great value in these picks.
Like Reply
(02-10-2024, 07:36 AM)omahen Wrote: Looks like Nr.60 this season. A little bit of hope both Charlotte and LAC will be bad in 2028. But not great value in these picks.

Eh in 2015 we could have drafted Christian Wood with the 60th pick. Seven years later could have turned him into a 1st round pick.

[Image: f4637125c5d429fdb200668636ea2440_w200.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mavs2021's post:
  • SleepingHero
Like Reply
(02-10-2024, 07:44 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Eh in 2015 we could have drafted Christian Wood with the 60th pick. Seven years later could have turned him into a 1st round pick.

Sure, as long as it was a top 25 protected pick  Wink
Like Reply
(02-10-2024, 07:44 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Eh in 2015 we could have drafted Christian Wood with the 60th pick. Seven years later could have turned him into a 1st round pick.

[Image: that-was-a-little-funny-lol.gif]
Like Reply
(02-10-2024, 07:36 AM)omahen Wrote: Looks like Nr.60 this season. A little bit of hope both Charlotte and LAC will be bad in 2028. But not great value in these picks.

In the NBA hard cap world that has been invented, there is some usefulness in '2nd rounder' even if it is pick 60. 

If you are needing to stay under the apron, and don't have your full assortment of 14 players as required, for apron purposes those empty slots will cost you about $2.1M (the minimum salary for a player with 2 prior years of NBA experience). And every minimum salary player you sign will cost you AT LEAST that amount in apron accounting. But there is one exception -- if you are paying minimum salary to a 2nd round pick, his actual salary (which will be less) is what is counted. So if you are getting right up against the hard cap, with open slots you MUST fill, each 2nd rounder can save you as much as about $1M.
[-] The following 7 users Like F Gump's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, MarkAguirreWrathofGod, Mavs2021, MFFL, mvossman, Scott41theMavs, Smitty
Like Reply