Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TRADE: Daniel Gafford to DAL | Holmes +FRP to WAS | OKC pickswap
So do we have 4 seconds now?

There is risk in both trades imo. A lot will determine how both fit in. I think both fit the prototype of players we should look for, but that is on paper. Lets see if they can make productive plays on good teams.

I am really anxious to see what our PF lineup looks like and what our finishing lineup looks like. We may be going super big with Washington and Maxi at PF. Jones jr may be boxed out of minutes. For closing games, does Maxi bypass the other two centers and close some games? It will be interesting.
[-] The following 2 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • MarkAguirreWrathofGod, RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
https://hoopshype.com/2024/02/08/raptors...dinwiddie/

I would love Din as our 6th man.
[-] The following 2 users Like Ghost of Podkolzin's post:
  • BigDirk41, MarkAguirreWrathofGod
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 03:29 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: So do we have 4 seconds now?   

Since 2027 is protected, I guess it turns into 2028 SRP if it doesn't convert. So Mavs can't trade that SRP pick. They can trade remaining 3 SRP and if 2024 pick converts to NY, they will also be able to trade 2025 SRP which is locked at the moment by the 2024 pick protections.
[-] The following 3 users Like omahen's post:
  • Chicagojk, KillerLeft, Smitty
Like Reply
We will see how he does on the court. Defense and rebound will be the big areas to determine if this trade was worth it. A lot of these offensive highlights are transferable to our offense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCFevN9i-r0
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 01:54 PM)Winter Wrote: Coach Powell?

Front office Powell.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Reunion Mav's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 01:55 PM)F Gump Wrote: I suspect it will be a 3-way OKC-CHA-DAL. OKC pays 2 2nds to CHA as part of the Hayward buy, and those then land in Dallas in the trade (to lessen the net outlay of the 2027 1st from DAL to CHA).

Bad guess! ^ There was no 3-way deal, instead it was separate.

By the time we get to 2028 I may feel differently, but at the moment I'm pleasantly surprised by the trade with OKC. 

The Mavs only gave up a pick swap (which, in optimistic scenarios, isn't even exercised). In return, they will end up with not only a 2028 FRP but also a 2024 FRP. And that 2024 FRP had enough value to turn Holmes into Gafford, so it was definitely valuable. Valuable enough!
[-] The following 3 users Like F Gump's post:
  • BigDirk41, DallasMaverick, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 07:36 PM)F Gump Wrote: Bad guess! ^ There was no 3-way deal, instead it was separate.

By the time we get to 2028 I may feel differently, but at the moment I'm pleasantly surprised by the trade with OKC. 

The Mavs only gave up a pick swap (which, in optimistic scenarios, isn't even exercised). In return, they will end up with not only a 2028 FRP but also a 2024 FRP. And that 2024 FRP had enough value to turn Holmes into Gafford, so it was definitely valuable. Valuable enough!
You could even look at it like a pick swap that could never happen for Gafford and Omax
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jason Terry's post:
  • F Gump
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 04:33 PM)omahen Wrote: Since 2027 is protected, I guess it turns into 2028 SRP if it doesn't convert. So Mavs can't trade that SRP pick. They can trade remaining 3 SRP and if 2024 pick converts to NY, they will also be able to trade 2025 SRP which is locked at the moment by the 2024 pick protections.

I don't remember reading anywhere in the trade that if the 2027 doesn't convert it turns into a 2028 2nd.

Just cause it's protected doesn't mean the Mavs have to replace the asset if it doesn't convert. Of course it helps and adds value, but I haven't seen it written yet. Since it hasn't even been mentioned by Woj or Shams I assume there are no other stipulations on that 2027 FRP. In the doomsday scenario the Mavs get the 2027 first, then CHA is left with nada.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(02-09-2024, 04:10 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: I don't remember reading anywhere in the trade that if the 2027 doesn't convert it turns into a 2028 2nd.

Just cause it's protected doesn't mean the Mavs have to replace the asset if it doesn't convert. Of course it helps and adds value, but I haven't seen it written yet. Since it hasn't even been mentioned by Woj or Shams I assume there are no other stipulations on that 2027 FRP. In the doomsday scenario the Mavs get the 2027 first, then CHA is left with nada.

Just because we don’t have that detail yet, doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist.  It wouldn’t surprise me if it converts to two 2028’s or a 27 and a 28 (since we now have them to give).  Back in the summer when we got the 2028 second I thought its purpose to be a fallback for a trade involving a protected 2027 pick.  Lindsey (presumably) doing a great job at designing moves in anticipation of future moves.
[-] The following 2 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • DallasMaverick, Smitty
Like Reply
(02-09-2024, 07:56 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Just because we don’t have that detail yet, doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist.  It wouldn’t surprise me if it converts to two 2028’s (since we now have two of them).  Back in the summer when we got the 2028 second I thought its purpose to be a fallback for a trade involving a protected 2027 pick.  Lindsey (presumably) doing a great job at designing moves in anticipation of future moves.
If it is a stipulation, it’ll most likely come out before the time when we start looking at offseason trades. As of now, with nothing reported, we have 5 SRPs to trade.
Like Reply
So didnt those two CHA 2nds go to Washington, right?
Like Reply
(02-09-2024, 08:55 AM)ACMFFL Wrote: So didnt those two CHA 2nds go to Washington, right?
Nope.
[-] The following 2 users Like ItsGoTime's post:
  • ACMFFL, BigDirk41
Like Reply
First time that Gafford is playing for a non tanking team. Hard to evaluate his career up to this point. Just hope that he isn't Whiteside 2.0. His +/- impact on defense hasn't been good but I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt because he played next to some of the worst defenders in the league. His DFG% at the rim isn't as good as his block numbers suggest (same with Lively).
Really hope that on a competitive team he is more Tyson Chandler and less Hassan Whiteside. I guess we will find out in the coming months.
Like Reply
(02-09-2024, 10:34 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: First time that Gafford is playing for a non tanking team. Hard to evaluate his career up to this point. Just hope that he isn't Whiteside 2.0. His +/- impact on defense hasn't been good but I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt because he played next to some of the worst defenders in the league. His DFG% at the rim isn't as good as his block numbers suggest (same with Lively).
Really hope that on a competitive team he is more Tyson Chandler and less Hassan Whiteside. I guess we will find out in the coming months.

We are 10 points worse defensively any time Lively and Powell are off the floor.  So, those minutes are now gone.  Relative to the Powell minutes, he rebounds, blocks and defends shots in the paint better than Powell and he’s harder to push around than Powell.  Some of this has to be eye test until we see the actual product, but the eye test infers he’s better at pretty much everything near the basket than Powell.  The harder test to evaluate is the part away from the basket (switching, drop coverage).  Time will tell, but logic says this will be an improvement.
[-] The following 8 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • BigDirk41, DallasMaverick, ItsGoTime, MarkAguirreWrathofGod, MFFL, mvossman, Scott41theMavs, Winter
Like Reply
(@GrantAfseth)
Luka Doncic on trade additions of P.J. Washington and Daniel Gafford: "I think we've got two really good players. We added some size to our team. We add a backup center, which I wanted [for] like three years already. So, I think both players really going to help us out a lot."
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 3 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • KillerLeft, Radical Mavs, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(02-09-2024, 11:58 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: We are 10 points worse defensively any time Lively and Powell are off the floor.  So, those minutes are now gone.  Relative to the Powell minutes, he rebounds, blocks and defends shots in the paint better than Powell and he’s harder to push around than Powell.  Some of this has to be eye test until we see the actual product, but the eye test infers he’s better at pretty much everything near the basket than Powell.  The harder test to evaluate is the part away from the basket (switching, drop coverage).  Time will tell, but logic says this will be an improvement.

Glass half empty. Last time Gafford wasn't a negative in defensive on/off was his rookie season. I really hope that it's just about him playing next to Kuzma and Poole but I am not as convinced as others on this board that just because he is a shot blocker the defense is going to be better. Have seen too many players that chased blocks/rebounds instead of playing good team defense. I haven't seen enough of Gafford to make the call but the numbers are at least somewhat concerning.
Glass half full. He has all the tools to make an impact and for the first time in his career his on court performance actually matters. He is playing on a winning team. As we saw last season selfish/lazy defenders like McGee will quickly lose their spot in the rotation. So I am going to assume that Gafford will embrace his new role.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dirkfansince1998's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(02-09-2024, 12:16 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Glass half empty. Last time Gafford wasn't a negative in defensive on/off was his rookie season. I really hope that it's just about him playing next to Kuzma and Poole but I am not as convinced as others on this board that just because he is a shot blocker the defense is going to be better. Have seen too many players that chased blocks/rebounds instead of playing good team defense. I haven't seen enough of Gafford to make the call but the numbers are at least somewhat concerning.
Glass half full. He has all the tools to make an impact and for the first time in his career his on court performance actually matters. He is playing on a winning team. As we saw last season selfish/lazy defenders like McGee will quickly lose their spot in the rotation. So I am going to assume that Gafford will embrace his new role.

Gafford sure seems to move well and is athletic so the ability to play defense is there. Hopefully him and Washington buy into giving 100% on the defensive end. I can see Gafford and Lively helping each other get better.
Like Reply
(02-09-2024, 02:50 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: Gafford sure seems to move well and is athletic so the ability to play defense is there. Hopefully him and Washington buy into giving 100% on the defensive end. I can see Gafford and Lively helping each other get better.

The problem is, of course, that Kidd's defensive scheme is generally abominable, so executing it well and vigorously may still produce less-than-desired results.
Like Reply
(02-09-2024, 02:50 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: Gafford sure seems to move well and is athletic so the ability to play defense is there. Hopefully him and Washington buy into giving 100% on the defensive end. I can see Gafford and Lively helping each other get better.

I have a lot of confidence that Kidd can get them to understand and perform well in their new roles.

He’s a player’s coach.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DallasMaverick's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
(02-09-2024, 04:01 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: I have a lot of confidence that Kidd can get them to understand and perform well in their new roles.

He’s a player’s coach.

LOLOLOLOLOLOL so is Doc Rivers. X's and O's matter.
Like Reply