Poll: Will the Mavs make a trade before the deadline?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
52.94%
27 52.94%
No
47.06%
24 47.06%
Total 51 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
NBA Trade Rumors |
I mostly agree except Wiggins could be a good deal for GS.  I think Towns is the problem in Minny

https://twitter.com/OKCTHUNDERAlex/statu...8629894144
Like Reply
(02-06-2020, 06:25 PM)cow Wrote: If you agree that KP and Luka were good moves...

I don't agree with every point, but content like that deserves all the likes it can get.  Nice work.
Like Reply
(02-06-2020, 08:11 PM)Baller AI Wrote: I think the Mavs view Curry as another core piece, and potentially Wright and/or Brunson. I like Wright more simply because of his fit with Luka. Brunson is the superior all around player though. Curry doesn’t get the recognition he deserves, hes such a great fit in the Mavs system and I’d love to see him here for the forseeable future

How exactly is Wright fitting with Luka? They don't play a ton together because right doesn't do as much off ball  I am undecided somewhat on Wright. Sometimes he looks awesome. Sometimes he doesn't look in command of the offense. Brunson has some qualities that make me think he's your JJB replacement off the bench. He has that "it" factor. I think he has the ability to take a game over. At any rate we have the rest of the season to evaluate. The problem is that Wright and Brunson can't co-exist forever.
Like Reply
Great post, Cow. Don't agree with everything, but everything is well-expressed and balanced. I tend to agree more with your evaluations than IGT's reduxes.
Like Reply
(02-06-2020, 06:25 PM)cow Wrote: If you agree that KP and Luka were good moves, you also need to realize the amount of assets we dumped acquiring them. 

-Luka cost us two firsts. 
-KP cost us two future first rounders, the previous years 9th overall pick and we had to take back the salaries of THJ and Lee. 

That left our cupboard really bare and also means that we can't squander what little assets we have for rentals.  I'm not saying that we shouldn't be critical of the MBT as there is plenty to be critical of, but we've done some good things as a team.

Good moves:

-Signed Maxi to a team friendly, long term contract.
-Signed DFS to a team friendly, long term contract.
-Held onto the GSW 2nd round pick. 
-Turned THJ into a viable starter and made his contract much easier to swallow.
-Drafted Brunson.  You can prefer to have Robinson and Jalen is probably never going to be a full-time starter, but I do think he can fill in as a started, be a rock solid backup and will be in the league for 10 years.

Neutral Moves:

-Singed Wright to a moderate contract.
-Signed Curry to a moderate contract.
-Powell extension.  I'm okay moving this to a bad move.  He was a tad overpaid before the injury and what happened to him sucks.
-Trading back for our second last year.  Helped us get Wright (neutral), helped us get WCS (band aid).
-Ditched Harrison Barnes but probably didn't extract enough value from that trade.

Bad Moves:

-Boban - We don't play him and when we do, don't favor his historic skill set.
-Failed to take advantage of Lee's expiring.
-Failed to take advantage of most of the TPE.
-Miami Heat trade debacle to start free agency.
-Seemingly failed to have meaningful conversations with Kemba and PatBev in free agency.
-Couldn't close on Green in free agency.

Needed Moves:

-One of Curry, Wright and Brunson need to be traded before the beginning of next season.  I think the two who don't get traded will flourish with regular playing time and a defined role.

There is a lot of roster building to be done to surround Luka and KP with the needed pieces to compete.  I'm fine with the Mavericks stance that this probably isn't our year so no need to gamble assets.  We are early into reconstructed this roster with only Maxi and DFS being core pieces to go with our superstars.  I'd be lying if I didn't say I was a little disappointed by free agency and the TDL and while I do understand wanting to grow talent organically, it's a little frustrating that we aren't making one of our younger, smaller guards available.  I am glad we held onto that GSW 2nd and didn't toss it away for AI or Drummond, those might have made us slightly better this year but that's not an age or skill set you'd want to invest in beyond this half season and they certainly wouldn't let you compete with the upper echelon of teams. 

We do need to be patient but I'm ready to have my pitchfork ready this next off season if it goes as poorly as last.  We need a homerun in the draft or to flip those draft asset into an established, quality starter.

I think the No-Moves bother me the most. Most of our problems occurred before the Slovenian Jesus arrived. This strategy to bridge 12 months gaps with solid veterans every year (even before we had any long-term #1 and #2 options). I don´t even mind the Barnes trade at all. That´s exactly what you should be doing. Try a young guy that needs an opportunity to express himself. Give him a 3+1 contract. If it doesn´t work out you do exactly what the Mavs did. Move on after 2 1/2 years. That´s what the GS Warriors will do with Wiggins. And if he works out you keep him or trade him for more value. There is no value in signing Delon Wright or Boban or DeAndre Jordan or Wes Matthews or.....
Like Reply
That’s not to say Donnie Nelson didn’t take calls, something I can confirm with even more certainty than usual. We were on the same Southwest flight to Washington D.C. this afternoon, after all. He was on the phone while waiting in the TSA line, took another call while waiting for our gate and had his phone to his ear while settling into an exit row seat. (He’s a window guy while Keith Grant, the long-tenured assistant general manager whom we profiled earlier this year, took the aisle.) Even an unlimited minutes plan gets stretched to its limits when it belongs to Donnie Nelson. You certainly know he was talking with teams, agents, anyone with something to sell him up until 2 p.m. arrived.

https://theathletic.com/1589987/2020/02/...dailyemail
Like Reply
(02-07-2020, 08:22 AM)Hypermav Wrote: That’s not to say Donnie Nelson didn’t take calls, something I can confirm with even more certainty than usual. We were on the same Southwest flight to Washington D.C. this afternoon, after all. He was on the phone while waiting in the TSA line, took another call while waiting for our gate and had his phone to his ear while settling into an exit row seat. (He’s a window guy while Keith Grant, the long-tenured assistant general manager whom we profiled earlier this year, took the aisle.) Even an unlimited minutes plan gets stretched to its limits when it belongs to Donnie Nelson. You certainly know he was talking with teams, agents, anyone with something to sell him up until 2 p.m. arrived.

https://theathletic.com/1589987/2020/02/...dailyemail

"Luka and KP have played together in four of the last 18 games".  Perspective.
Like Reply
Oh come on, I just can't understand this view. Not spending 12 million of cap space is just plain bad in my view. No excuse for that. If you gave Lee to someone in the summer that's 24 million. If you stretch Lee that would be 16 million. That summer was plain bad because of this fact. Don't tell me there was no player in record free agency summer, that would be worth throwing 12-24 million at to give it a go. Even if we would just trade him later. 

I have hoped, they will correct this mistake at TDL, but again nothing. 

The whole Nick and Young piece is like "great they didn't make a move, because it could be a mistake". Come on!!! You can't think like that. GM is there to make the right moves, not to not make moves, because he could make a mistake. I just get super pissed when I hear a take like that.

I can totally understand Cato take that Mavs were not set to be serious buyers because of the lack of assets. Totally agree. But then your whole focus HAS to be on accumulating assets for Lee and TE, perhaps even Jackson, to improve your position. Team would be as good as it is, playoff and summer plans would be the same. I would expect 5 Cato pieces on this options, but nothing. As if this part doesn't exist. But it should be a focus. Denver traded their guys for pick once they realized the big move just isn't there. So that Denver, who already has a far more complete team, will be able to outbid us once a disgruntled superstar demands a trade. Asset management!
Like Reply
Mavs had roughly 30 mil if they stayed under the cap. Stretching Lee or trading him was an option but they weren't going to do that unless they landed a serious big fish. Wright was 9.5 mil starting and Curry was 7.5 mil starting. That took 17 mil out of 30 which leaves 12-13 as you say left over. I agree there is no reason why Mavs couldn't have got some bargain wings for that price or a better big option than Boban. I really think they let themselves get held hostage by the Kawhi/Green situation. Green is just not good enough to wait. Kemba? Sure. Green waited so long that Mavs didn't have a ton of options after that fell through. They should have given him an ultimatum and moved on if he wanted to wait. Guy like House, RHJ, GR3, Burks and more signed cheap deals. Even if Mavs felt strongly about Wright they should have stayed under the cap to sign more guys. It really is inexcusable that they didn't.

Donnie had a big year last season trading for both Doncic and KP (not to mention drafting Brunson) which completely turned around this franchise. This year has been a disappointment. The positives are Maxi, DFS both resigning for extremely team-friendly deals and the signing of Curry who could be a core contributor as a 6th man shooter for years to come. The negatives are the Powell extension, Boban experiment and Wright okay but not great signing when we needed a wing more than a guard. Further leaving money on the table (literally) was unacceptable as the Mavs could have added more talent or picks. I believe Mavs thought Wright was going to be the starting 2-guard which is why they felt good about this season. Hopefully next summer we can get a wing or two to shore up this rotation. I have seen enough of Broekhoff to know he's okay as last the last guy on the bench since he can shoot but I don't really want to use up a roster spot if I don't have to.
Like Reply
(02-07-2020, 11:44 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: Mavs had roughly 30 mil if they stayed under the cap. Stretching Lee or trading him was an option but they weren't going to do that unless they landed a serious big fish. Wright was 9.5 mil starting and Curry was 7.5 mil starting. That took 17 mil out of 30 which leaves 12-13 as you say left over. I agree there is no reason why Mavs couldn't have got some bargain wings for that price or a better big option than Boban. I really think they let themselves get held hostage by the Kawhi/Green situation. Green is just not good enough to wait. Kemba? Sure. Green waited so long that Mavs didn't have a ton of options after that fell through. They should have given him an ultimatum and moved on if he wanted to wait. Guy like House, RHJ, GR3, Burks and more signed cheap deals. Even if Mavs felt strongly about Wright they should have stayed under the cap to sign more guys. It really is inexcusable that they didn't.

E'twaun Moore and Thomas Bryant signed for less than 10 million. Lamb signed for 10,5 million. They would all fill a position of need here.  They are proven players. Even if we gave a 2 year 12 mill contract for the first two and a 3 year 12 mil contract for Lamb it would not be a bad contract. Moore actually signed his contract July 21st. 

Carroll, Parker, Hood, Theiss, Davis, Holmes, Justin Holiday, Looney, Bullock all signed for 7 mil or less. None of them good enough to help us? There was just so many options out there and we didn't seem to bother, despite we clearly lacked a back up big man or a strong 3-4 3D guy.

Not to mention offering up to 25 mil per year for Bogdanovic (Utah). Can you imagine how this team would look with him instead of Wright, while we could still get Curry?
Like Reply
Bogdanovic would have been amazing. Really don't get why Mavs weren't in on him or Malcolm Brogdon. Bog's salary is 17 mil, I honestly have no idea why they wouldn't have thought that was better than Curry + Wright for the same money. You could have signed him and still had a max slot in 2021.
Like Reply
(02-07-2020, 12:09 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Bogdanovic would have been amazing. Really don't get why Mavs weren't in on him or Malcolm Brogdon. Bog's salary is 17 mil, I honestly have no idea why they wouldn't have thought that was better than Curry + Wright for the same money. You could have signed him and still had a max slot in 2021.

Go and read the Pacers blogs. Wink
Like Reply
(02-07-2020, 12:18 PM)Mapka Wrote: Go and read the Pacers blogs.

Save us the trouble and provide a short summary Smile Did they like him or not?
Like Reply
I would think they were pretty excited to get him considering the fact it was obvious Favors was not going to work next to Gobert.
Like Reply
(02-07-2020, 01:47 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: I would think they were pretty excited to get him considering the fact it was obvious Favors was not going to work next to Gobert.

He said Pacers blog, not Utah Smile
Like Reply
(02-07-2020, 02:26 PM)omahen Wrote:
(02-07-2020, 01:47 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: I would think they were pretty excited to get him considering the fact it was obvious Favors was not going to work next to Gobert.

He said Pacers blog, not Utah Smile

Oh duh. Easy to get those confused lol
Like Reply