Poll: Will the Mavs make a trade before the deadline?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
52.94%
27 52.94%
No
47.06%
24 47.06%
Total 51 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
NBA Trade Rumors |
(12-13-2019, 11:21 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I don't think we need someone who can shoot from outside as Powell isn't really that guy either

Powell "doesn't need" to shoot because he is elite rim runner. If KP takes his role, the Powell replacement has to be good enough shooter to keep defense honest, otherwise they will just leave him open and prevent KP rim running.
Like Reply
(12-13-2019, 09:48 AM)Hypermav Wrote:
(12-13-2019, 09:28 AM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote: The Mavs need wing defense as their biggest priority and it's not even close, and preferably someone who is such a liability shooting the ball that you're playing a 4 man offense.

I am still baffled by Mavs fan infatuation with big muscle who ruins our floor spacing and clogs up the paint for Luka. The Mavs dominated the Pistons/Drummong on rebounding last night.
https://dunkingwithwolves.com/2019/12/10/minnesota-timberwolves-trade-robert-covington/

This is the guy but how to get him seems difficult. KP was a pipe dream and that worked, the Mavs used a lot of trade capital to make that trade happen.

But, if the Rocketts think they can get him, why not Dallas?

I agree. RoCo is at the very top of my trade wish list.
Like Reply
(12-13-2019, 12:33 PM)omahen Wrote: If KP takes his role, the Powell replacement has to be good enough shooter to keep defense honest, otherwise they will just leave him open and prevent KP rim running.
So when KP was running the rim last night, where was Powell? You are right that having a shooter would be better, I just think "need" is a strong word and removing that word opens up lots more possibilities for players that would fit in really well.
Like Reply
Powell did some rim-rolling last night too. The interesting wrinkle I want to discuss more in the KP thread is how I saw more Rockets like spacing last night on offense which I really liked. I don't think we can take too much out of this as it could have been Rick's decision that the Pistons could not cover our spacing with their bigs (and he was right). Even Powell drew out Griffin close to the 3 point line. If it was me I would have left Powell wide open and let him shoot a couple 3's. I don't think this strategy will work all the time but I enjoyed seeing it.

Altho we have other rim-rolling capable guys, ie Maxi and KP I think the Mavs really want Powell for now to be that main guy on offense.
Like Reply
The most "Luka Friendly" lineup you can put on the floor is one big who can sit behind the arc that clears out a big from the paint (currently KP), and then another big who is a pick and roll partner who teams have to respect enough as a rim rummer that they can't just collapse on Luka when he drives (currently DP).     If you're going to make KP the rim rummer, fine, but you got to replace Powell with another big who is a high level 3 point shooter who replaces KPs current role as the guy who spaces the floor by clearing out the big.     But really, everyone's current role works really well for the team.  The MBT did a really good job building a team around Luka.  KP even without being a "rim rummer" will get a lot of dunks just by defenders being overly aggressive on him closing out behind the arc ... which is what happened last night when he posterized Drummond.    It would be nice if you had a really high level switchable defender who could also provide DP's rim running ... there's like a handful of guys like that in the league, and we're talking like AD and Giannis.
Like Reply
(12-13-2019, 01:21 PM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote: The most "Luka Friendly" lineup you can put on the floor is one big who can sit behind the arc that clears out a big from the paint (currently KP), and then another big who is a pick and roll partner who teams have to respect enough as a rim rummer that they can't just collapse on Luka when he drives (currently DP).     If you're going to make KP the rim rummer, fine, but you got to replace Powell with another big who is a high level 3 point shooter who replaces KPs current role as the guy who spaces the floor by clearing out the big.     But really, everyone's current role works really well for the team.   The MBT did a really good job building a team around Luka.   KP even without being a "rim rummer" will get a lot of dunks just by defenders being overly aggressive on him closing out behind the arc ... which is what happened last night when he posterized Drummond.    It would be nice if you had a really high level switchable defender who could also provide DP's rim running ... there's like a handful of guys like that in the league, and we're talking like AD and Giannis.
I still get what you're saying, I just think "got to" and "need" are too strong of words to describe this. Favors is not a good outside shooter, like Powell. He can set really good picks and rim run himself (albeit not right now as practiced or as high flying as DP, but he has done it). The point is to capitalize when the defense over commits one way or the other. 

Putting Favors in one corner and KP in the other allows both to read the defense and capitalize on what they're being given, just like last night's game. Putting Favors in the pick setting spot at the top of the key allows him to rim run with Luka and do the exact same thing Powell is doing now.
Like Reply
Was it Fish who was saying that the Mavs front office liked Favors?
Like Reply
(12-13-2019, 02:17 PM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote: Was it Fish who was saying that the Mavs front office liked Favors?

Not enough to get him for a song this summer, they didn't.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1205929663299760132

https://media.giphy.com/media/SWVzkIlHdE.../giphy.gif
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
"New season, new intel"

New season? Sure
New intel? Doubt it.
Like Reply
(12-14-2019, 03:35 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: "New season, new intel"

New season? Sure
New intel? Doubt it.
The new Intel is we are trying to get Adams and Bertans... Angel
Like Reply
(12-14-2019, 04:26 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote:

New season? Sure
New intel? Doubt it.

Is that really what they said? If so, not bad...
Like Reply
(12-14-2019, 06:01 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:
(12-14-2019, 04:26 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote:

New season? Sure
New intel? Doubt it.

Is that really what they said? If so, not bad...
Sorry I was kidding and thought the angel emoticon would be enough to show that...

My bad Scott...they will release the info on the show I'm guessing...
Like Reply
It will be interesting to see if any trades happen straight away.
Due to Records of the 8th seeds in each conference. Almost any team can still convince themselves they still have a chance at a playoff spot.

So it may stay quite for a couple more weeks.

The Knicks should start trying to trade some of their 10 PFs.
But they just fired their coach since it was a coaching problem not a bad roster management problem.
Like Reply
No new Adams rumors and I want him to stay but if he goes anywhere I want it to be Mavs.  He is really good at lots of things and cares less about his stats he is team first and I’d love to see what Rick could do with him (I think he can do more).

He is really a good guy too.  

https://twitter.com/OKCTHUNDERAlex/statu...0602596353

https://twitter.com/OKCTHUNDERAlex/statu...9345112064

https://twitter.com/OKCTHUNDERAlex/statu...9140717568
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/BR_NBA/status/1206297410097446913
Like Reply
Surely Waiters is radioactive to any team at this point.  It'll be interesting to see if Miami chooses to eat his contract or pay a very steep price to unload him.
Like Reply
(12-15-2019, 03:41 PM)Tyler Wrote: Surely Waiters is radioactive to any team at this point. It'll be interesting to see if Miami chooses to eat his contract or pay a very steep price to unload him.

Exactly. I'll take Waiters for Lee's contract if they throw in Bam and/or Herro. If not, no deal, no way, no how.
Like Reply
(12-15-2019, 03:41 PM)Tyler Wrote: Surely Waiters is radioactive to any team at this point.  It'll be interesting to see if Miami chooses to eat his contract or pay a very steep price to unload him.

You don't need to let him near your team. You can also buy him out or keep his contract for salary filler. However, Miami doesn't have any assets anyway. At least not such they would be willing to move.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/BR_NBA/status/1206376002282123265
Like Reply