Poll: Will the Mavs make a trade before the deadline?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
52.94%
27 52.94%
No
47.06%
24 47.06%
Total 51 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
NBA Trade Rumors |
(12-11-2019, 07:14 PM)vfromlmf Wrote: With the way they've played recently I honestly think they let this thing play out. Mavs are in no rush, in fact they're way ahead of schedule. 

The exception would be a no-brainer deal that could put them in contention immediately. I don't think Love or Favors is the player. 

I'm thinking more along the lines of a dynamic scoring guard or small-ball four / wing to better match up with the Clippers.
Agree that the Mavs seem an unlikely landing spot for Love. 

Don't think the Mavs are in the mode of trying to construct the team to match up against a specific opponent. 

Kevin Love would be a plus in attack, but they are already elite offensively. If they make a move, I look for them to try to shore up the roster defensively.

The headline of the article is very misleading. The author does not base his prediction on any reporting -- it's just him spinning a few possibilities in his head.
Like Reply
(12-12-2019, 01:06 AM)fifteenth Wrote:
(12-11-2019, 09:29 PM)vfromlmf Wrote: The Mavs need a dynamic scoring guard or elite defensive wing who can shoot MUCH more than they need to marginally upgrade the frontcourt.

Just quoted a little bit, but man, this whole post is awesome

(12-11-2019, 10:07 PM)vfromlmf Wrote: I don't care who starts. If the Mavs were in a tight playoff game versus the Clippers the Mavs would close with Porzingis at the five and shooters around Doncic.

DP and Favors would both sit. Just like Zubac would sit.

Mavs need Doncic, Porzingis, DFS, THJ and another guard or wing unless you want them to close with Barea or Curry trying to defend Paul George, Kawhi Leonard and Lou Williams.

Some might argue that Wright is the "other guard or wing". I LOVE Wright, but he's certainly not the guy to close a playoff game unless he really ups his confidence game. I don't think the Clippers would guard him on the 3pt line, which would wreck spacing, and he turns down too many good shots. As much as I love Wright and want him develop into a closer, he's not there yet.

Yes, yes, yes! V has the goods on this topic.

Thing is, although many on the RPM thread are dissing that stat, what it's showing is that wings (SGs and SFs) who have good DRPM and also contribute positively on offense generally tend to be stars who aren't available in trade. Yeah, "just go out and get that guy," eye roll. The reason everyone covets Covington so much in spite of his health problems is that he a rare bird in today's league - a true 3-and-D wing who isn't a star.
Like Reply
(12-12-2019, 01:40 PM)ThunderMav Wrote: https://twitter.com/TheHoopCentral/statu...2760650757
There's nothing there...what was this?
"There are no friends on the court." - Luka Doncic
Like Reply
(12-12-2019, 11:02 AM)omahen Wrote: https://twitter.com/johnhollinger/status/1205096703226994688?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1205144431072034816&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fbleacherreport.com%2Fdallas-mavericks

This part is interesting, Warriors trying to get below the tax line:

That takes us to Kevon Looney. A productive big who makes $4.4 million, Looney likely has positive trade value and could be flipped for a second-round pick to a team with a small trade exception.
"There is only one other eight digit exception league-wide, which is the league’s most underrated trade chip right now: Dallas’s $11.8 million remaining exception from the Harrison Barnes trade. Importantly, the Mavs are far enough below the tax line to use the whole thing.
The exception probably isn’t quite big enough to make it a real gold mine, especially in concert with the Mavs’ lack of first-round draft equity. But it has some potential – for instance, the Mavs could swallow a contract like that of former Mav Jae Crowder, in return for the 2020 Golden State second-round pick the Mavericks own, which has suddenly turned into a lottery ticket.
[b]3. Most contenders have their hands tied. [/b]Dallas is an exception to the rule – a good team that still may have some realistic trade possibilities. The summer of 2019 arms race has left several of the most prominent contenders scrounging for ammo at this year’s trade deadline."

The Mavs part of the story.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/TheHoopCentral/statu...2084011008

(12-12-2019, 02:29 PM)TXBamanut Wrote:
(12-12-2019, 01:40 PM)ThunderMav Wrote: https://twitter.com/TheHoopCentral/statu...2760650757
There's nothing there...what was this?

I don’t know its gone now.  I think it was about Love but can’t find it either I think he deleted the tweet.
Like Reply
The latest ESPN+ article was posted on Mavs-reddit:

Dallas Mavericks

What to watch: The roster outside of Luka Doncic and Kristaps Porzingis Despite not being able to trade a first until 2025, the Mavericks do have trade assets with their own players. Dallas has Courtney Lee ($12.8 million) on an expiring, Dwight Powell and Maxi Kleber on team-friendly deals and a mix of solid young players in Jalen Brunson and Justin Jackson. Is that combination enough to pry a player like the Pistons' Andre Drummond? Unlikely, but if Dallas is looking to pair Doncic and Porzingis with a low-post threat, that is the combination of players that would likely be shipped out.

The Lee expiring contract along with Dallas' collection of second-round picks could be enough to get the Grizzlies' Andre Iguodala. The Warrior' 2020 second-rounder is looking particularly valuable. Lee-for-Iguodala would work straight up, and two second-rounders might be the best Memphis gets.

Front-office deadline history: Dallas' jump into playoff contention makes the two first-rounders included in the Porzingis trade look like more of a steal. Besides acquiring Porzingis, Dallas also acquired Justin Jackson in exchange for Harrison Barnes. Jackson has shot 44.4% from 3 off the bench this season.

Restrictions/notes

The Mavericks have trade exceptions worth $11.8 million and $1.2 million.

Porzingis, Dorian Finney-Smith and Maxi Kleber cannot be traded until Jan. 15. Powell cannot be traded until Jan. 6.
Porzingis has a 5% trade bonus that becomes voided if he is moved.

J.J. Barea has a one-year Bird restriction and can veto any trade.

Dallas owes New York an unprotected first in 2021 and a top-10 protected first in 2023 that rolls over to 2024 and 2025 if not conveyed. The Mavericks cannot trade a first until two years after their commitment to New York is met. Dallas could trade a 2025 first-rounder by removing the protection on the 2023 pick.

https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status...98626?s=20

I'd offer the GS 2nd for Cedi Osman. And then some more if needed to. He's young, can play, and locked into a multi-year contract that starts next summer but declines every year.
Like Reply
(12-12-2019, 05:48 PM)JamesConway Wrote: I'd offer the GS 2nd for Cedi Osman. And then some more if needed to. He's young, can play, and locked into a multi-year contract that starts next summer but declines every year.

I need more "Like" buttons  Big Grin
Like Reply
(12-12-2019, 05:48 PM)JamesConway Wrote: I'd offer the GS 2nd for Cedi Osman. And then some more if needed to. He's young, can play, and locked into a multi-year contract that starts next summer but declines every year.

I may be wrong, but I don't think they can trade him, as he signed the extension during this season. He would be ok for us, but I think it would take more for him
Like Reply
The bottom line is this team does not need offense. Dallas is one of the most efficient offenses of all time and its projected to only improve with time. This team is YOUNG and Luka and KP have less than half a season together. All things equal, it should improve.

This team needs DEFENSE. This is what makes the Lakers and the Clippers and the Bucks and Philly most likely favorites against Dallas in the playoffs. Defense, defense, defense. The ability, when the pressure steps up and we move to playoff basketball, to get a stop. right. now. lock. down. and squeeze the life out of an opponent. Other than KP, Dallas is a very average (below average) defense.

I am not sure we need a 3rd scorer. I am absolutely positive we need some better perimeter defenders. How to solve this problem? I have no freaking idea.
Like Reply
1) Drummond
2) Adams
3) Covington

Those three players would make the biggest difference this year
Like Reply
It's funny, I think fans obsessively loath the guy who makes $17 million who is probably a $10 million player, but you're going to need those guys to facillitate trades for high end starters in the league for salary matching reasons. High end starters make $28-$40 million, and then there are a lot of guys making $4-$12. Doesn't seem like there's as much in the middle. It's hard to trade for one of the first group with a collection of the latter without absolutely gutting your team. And most contending teams want to add to their existing talent base, they don't want to just swap out high end starters. Hard to find a lot of landing spots for guys like Love with teams who can match his salary without gutting their team of depth.
Like Reply
(12-13-2019, 07:02 AM)Kkswoosh Wrote: 1) Drummond
2) Adams
3) Covington

Those three players would make the biggest difference this year

Drummond is too much like Deandre Jordan. He is a better version for sure but he isn't helping your defense really. Mavs had any shot they wanted in the paint.

Adams to me is a much better all around player. I think an Adams, KP front court would be one of the toughest to drive on. That would require Mavs change their philosophy of having KP play 5 on defense which I think would be fine and welcome. To me there is no reason he can't cover 4's which he has covered for his career. KP has quick feet and can get out to the perimeter. There are a lot of stretch 4's but that isn't an issue to me. Most of them are not going to blow by KP off the dribble. For teams that have 4's who are struggling from outside it would be even worse for the other team as KP would be able to cheat inside and provide more help defense. You can still run KP as the 5 in some lineups.

The other thing with Adams is what do you need to give up to get him? A lot is made of his big money deal but he only has 1 year left after this year. He is also one of the better starting centers in the league and he's still young. I think a Powell + Lee + GSW 2nd would be the trade I would offer which means the Mavs would have to be confident that Adams still can do what Powell does as the roll man. I think he's a great roll man but the Mavs also really like Powell. That is the trade I would like and it also clears Powell's long term money which isn't terrible but not great either.
Like Reply
The Mavs need wing defense as their biggest priority and it's not even close, and preferably someone who is such a liability shooting the ball that you're playing a 4 man offense.

I am still baffled by Mavs fan infatuation with big muscle who ruins our floor spacing and clogs up the paint for Luka. The Mavs dominated the Pistons/Drummong on rebounding last night.
Like Reply
(12-13-2019, 09:20 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: The other thing with Adams is what do you need to give up to get him?

A young player with high ceiling and a first round pick. Why would you trade him for a second round pick? And Powell, who will be well in his thirties, when OKC will be able to compete and will be difficult to move. Adams is loved in OKC and they are absolutely not pressured to sell. They will sell only if a good opportunity arrives. If not this season, than next, when he will be expiring.
Like Reply
(12-13-2019, 09:28 AM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote: The Mavs need wing defense as their biggest priority and it's not even close, and preferably someone who is such a liability shooting the ball that you're playing a 4 man offense.

I am still baffled by Mavs fan infatuation with big muscle who ruins our floor spacing and clogs up the paint for Luka.    The Mavs dominated the Pistons/Drummong on rebounding last night.
https://dunkingwithwolves.com/2019/12/10/minnesota-timberwolves-trade-robert-covington/

This is the guy but how to get him seems difficult.  KP was a pipe dream and that worked, the Mavs used a lot of trade capital to make that trade happen. 

But, if the Rocketts think they can get him, why not Dallas?
Like Reply
(12-13-2019, 09:28 AM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote: I am still baffled by Mavs fan infatuation with big muscle who ruins our floor spacing and clogs up the paint for Luka.    The Mavs dominated the Pistons/Drummong on rebounding last night.

Totally agree. Perhaps we could use a mobile strong center, for some specialty assignment, but we should find something very cheap. I mean - RC didn't even think necessary to use Bobi against Drummond. We need guys who have what THJ, DFS or Powell excell at and are better at other things. This will make our team better. So:
- a "THJ" who is excellent defender and a bit less streaky offensively (but still considered as dangerous offensive weapon so that defense is honest)
- a "DFS" who can play defense at high level, hustle on both ends, collect offensive rebounds and hit 40 % of threes
- a "DP" who is an elite rim runner, can switch on perimeter and stay honest against strong men in the paint

Not many guys fit the description and they probably cost around 15-20 mil per.

We could do more with the bench, where Brunson, Seth and Wright with JJ playing the 4 is probably not a perfect combination. We could use a wing here. Since it is a bench, either a "3" wing such as Bertans or "D" wing such as perhaps Crowder. I guess Seth or Brunson would fall out of top 10 rotation. Please also have in mind, Reeves might become a very useful role player. I would definitely try to give him a chance in the rotation, based on his plays in G-league.

However, I am not really inclined on wasting too much assets for some bench guys. I would prefer to go for a good starter as described above. Probably in the summer, when we will have plenty of assets. Especially if we manage to turn Lee and TE into some assets.

(12-13-2019, 09:48 AM)Hypermav Wrote: This is the guy but how to get him seems difficult.  KP was a pipe dream and that worked, the Mavs used a lot of trade capital to make that trade happen.

Let's be patient and wait till summer for big splash moves. We will have our first rounder, GSW "almost first" rounder and 2025 first rounder available on draft night. Plus second rounders. Plus THJ expiring.
Like Reply
a "DP" who is an elite rim runner, can switch on perimeter and stay honest against strong men in the paint

Definitely would love one of those guys, but honestly I don't even know who that is. Anthony Davis?

In his last 5 games Powell has shot 3 for 4, 2 for 3, 2 for 2, 9 for 9, 3 for 3. He's doing his job, it's just not a large role on this team. If anything, the Mavs might be overallocated to the center position already.
Like Reply
I would target the following:
- Fournier as THJ replacement. He is an excellent shooter who suffers in Orlando as he is the only one on the team who can shoot so whole defense is on him. He would thrive next to Doncic. 
- Bogdanovic as THJ replacement (SnT)
- Covington as DFS replacement

(12-13-2019, 10:08 AM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote: a "DP" who is an elite rim runner, can switch on perimeter and stay honest against strong men in the paint

Definitely would love one of those guys, but honestly I don't even know who that is.  Anthony Davis? 

In his last 5 games Powell has shot 3 for 4, 2 for 3, 2 for 2, 9 for 9, 3 for 3.    He's doing his job, it's just not a large role on this team.  If anything, the Mavs might be overallocated to the center position already.

Totally agree. There are not many guys. Closest I can think of and could be theoretically available is Capella. I think he can play honest defense on perimeter, the rest we know he is excellent at. Powells role on offense is larger than his stats. Because he is such an elite rim runner, defense can't afford to leave the paint empty which provides open looks for shooters. Of course Powell is bad on defense. But I really can't think of a guy who would provide such elite rim running as he does.

The alternative would be for KP to take Powels role as rim runner on offense. I think he is capable. This would enable to go for a strong 4 or 5 that can stretch the floor, can switch on perimeter and stay honest against strong men in the paint. Perhaps Turner? Morris? Olynik?
Like Reply
(12-13-2019, 09:35 AM)omahen Wrote:
(12-13-2019, 09:20 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: The other thing with Adams is what do you need to give up to get him?

A young player with high ceiling and a first round pick. Why would you trade him for a second round pick? And Powell, who will be well in his thirties, when OKC will be able to compete and will be difficult to move. Adams is loved in OKC and they are absolutely not pressured to sell. They will sell only if a good opportunity arrives. If not this season, than next, when he will be expiring.

Adams has been mentioned a lot in trade rumors over the years but I think it's mostly speculation. I also don't think the Mavs could get him but if OKC ever does a fire sale I'd at least want the Mavs to talk to OKC. Many pundits have acted like Adam's contract is terrible and untradable which I don't agree with. That being said if OKC does want to lower their salary commitments I would hope the Mavs make a call.
Like Reply
(12-13-2019, 09:28 AM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote: I am still baffled by Mavs fan infatuation with big muscle who ruins our floor spacing and clogs up the paint for Luka.
Looks like KP might be finding a role as an elite rim runner making DP's contribution to the offense less needed in the starting lineup. When I was saying we need more muscle to fight back against the muscle in the league DP was playing as soft as he ever was. The last several games the whole team is playing a lot more chippy and with more force as opposed to when they started. It looked like that was something this group was not willing to do. I'd like to see more ability to do it (meaning size), but I'm encouraged with the willingness. Overall, the need that I thought was there, is less a need and has become more of a want. I do feel that the playoffs will bring another level to the physicality that this team as a whole probably doesn't have the ability to match. 

DP works really well off the bench and with Maxi, we know that. This current bench is really small without DP with them. They could also use DP's elite rim running to help them space the lane and floor too. All that in mind, it would be really good to get someone like Favors who is a hustle and defense guy while not being a slouch on offense who adds muscle and an enforcer type with the starting group.

I agree that our wing depth is the weakest role on the team, there's only so many guys out there that might be available to add the wing depth that every team in the NBA is trying to get. Our position of strength right now is ball handlers, I would say we actually have an over-abundance of them by at least 1. I think the bench would be just as good if not better if we moved Powell down to the bench while moving one of Wright or Brunson as one of the major pieces to get a Favors (or better) type of player (one of them could be used to get the wing we want as well, and I would welcome that too as that puts DFS on the bench where he would be best suited, IMO). I've proposed a Wright deal to get OPJ someone I think would be just as good as RoCo on this team.

(12-13-2019, 10:10 AM)omahen Wrote: The alternative would be for KP to take Powels role as rim runner on offense. I think he is capable. This would enable to go for a strong 4 or 5 that can stretch the floor, can switch on perimeter and stay honest against strong men in the paint. Perhaps Turner? Morris? Olynik?
Hmmm, I didn't read this before writing the above. I'm glad others see the KP rim running replacement ability too. I don't think Powell currently keeps defenses honest in the sense you may be suggesting with the players you're saying to target. I don't think we need someone who can shoot from outside as Powell isn't really that guy either. That widens the search for a guy that should work IMO.
Like Reply