Poll: Will the Mavs make a trade before the deadline?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
52.94%
27 52.94%
No
47.06%
24 47.06%
Total 51 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
NBA Trade Rumors |
Adams and KP would be like the polar opposite grooming skills teammates.
Like Reply
(12-11-2019, 02:03 PM)Hypermav Wrote: Adams and KP would be like the polar opposite grooming skills teammates.
I audibly chuckled. Tommy likey, Tommy want wingy.
Like Reply
https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/kevin...annis/amp/

Kevin Love trade: Heat, Mavericks among top five landing spots, but will they wait for shot at Giannis?
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(12-11-2019, 02:03 PM)Hypermav Wrote: Adams and KP would be like the polar opposite grooming skills teammates.

I just wanna see Adams getting Luka and the team to do Haka before a BB game

https://twitter.com/9NewsAUS/status/1202775847549063169

(12-11-2019, 02:22 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/kevin...annis/amp/

Kevin Love trade: Heat, Mavericks among top five landing spots, but will they wait for shot at Giannis?

I don’t see the fit.  KL plays zero defense.  Takes 3’s which sometimes means it would takeaway from current players.  You guys need some beef down low for playoff type rougher BB (compared to a K Love type player)
Like Reply
(12-11-2019, 01:54 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote:
(12-11-2019, 01:43 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: https://heavy.com/sports/2019/12/nba-tra...illiamson/
Please, please, please Mavs, be in on this!

If all he costs is 2nd rounders (the Mavs have those) and the Mavs have the best deal available, I will break things if the Mavs pass on him for some philosophical reason or another (unless, of course, they trade for a superior player, of whom there are not many). He is the perfect frontcourt mate - perhaps the single most apropos in the entire NBA - for KP.

(12-11-2019, 02:28 PM)ThunderMav Wrote:

I just wanna see Adams getting Luka and the team to do Haka before a BB game

https://twitter.com/9NewsAUS/status/1202775847549063169

(12-11-2019, 02:22 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/kevin...annis/amp/

I don’t see the fit.  KL plays zero defense.  Takes 3’s which sometimes means it would takeaway from current players.  You guys need some beef down low for playoff type rougher BB (compared to a K Love type player)

If the Mavs added Love instead of Adams, Favors, or a player of that ilk...

https://media.giphy.com/media/4VUiK7uleZ.../giphy.gif
Like Reply
Just speculation and no Mavs aren't going to be in on K Love.
Like Reply
I've said from before the season, Adams is the man. I hope we get him because I don't see a better fit next to KP... The only other choices would be a Bruiser Post-Up type of Defender at the 4... either way we need a stronger post defender at the 4/5 than Powell... 

and I would like either a better shooter/scorer than THJ and/or a defensive two-way wing

Iggy would be great and should be cheap to acquire... Maybe we should get JJ Reddick or something... If we get a shooter like JJ then we definitely need an Adams type at the 4/5. If we got an Iggy/two way wing type we could get away with having KP at 5...

so either a combination of these or at least one of these need to be added to our team this season
Like Reply
(12-11-2019, 06:27 PM)Magickian Wrote: I've said from before the season, Adams is the man. I hope we get him because I don't see a better fit next to KP... The only other choices would be a Bruiser Post-Up type of Defender at the 4... either way we need a stronger post defender at the 4/5 than Powell... 

and I would like either a better shooter/scorer than THJ and/or a defensive two-way wing

Iggy would be great and should be cheap to acquire... Maybe we should get JJ Reddick or something... If we get a shooter like JJ then we definitely need an Adams type at the 4/5. If we got an Iggy/two way wing type we could get away with having KP at 5...

so either a combination of these or at least one of these need to be added to our team this season

In-Division trades are very rare. I highly doubt a Pelican being traded to the Mavs.

Iguodala is unlikely for the same reason, although might be possible because Memphis is on a different timeline and Iguodala will only help in the short term anyway, if at all.

Adams, Drummond, Covington, are the most interesting players. Maybe Gallinari.
Like Reply
Some Adams stats and stuff

Steven Adams' last 8 Games:
14.9 points
9.1 rebounds
3.1 assists
0.5 steals
1.6 blocks
72.1% FG
75.0% FT
OKC 5-3

Reminder: this is only in 28 minutes per game as he increases his workload as he gets healthy.

Steven Adams normally plays the first 7 mins of the 1st qtr, & we all know how well he plays. Here's those numbers averaged out across a whole game:

22.7 points
12.7 rebounds
5.3 assists
1.1 steals
0.8 blocks
23.8% Usage (up from 16.3%)
114.8 O-Rtg, 107.0 D-Rtg, +7.8 Net Rtg

Among qualified players, Steven Adams ranks:
23rd PER
21st WS p/48
19th BPM
45th OBPM
17th DBPM
25th VORP

His value goes far beyond the box score because of all the different ways he can impact the game.

Steven Adams posts up the 16th most in the NBA (3.6 times per game), out of those 16 he's 2nd in FG% (59.4%). From those 16, only Joel Embiid, Kevin Love & Andre Drummond post ups result in points more often. Nobody turns it over less than Adams does.

Steven Adams' passing has long been underrated, but is starting to get noticed. Right now:

- posting 5.1 assists per 100 (7th among C's)
- 16.5 AST% (6th among C's)
- 10th in APG, 6th since the Philly OT win
- 9th in Secondary Assists

It's realistic he could average 4-5apg.

Steven Adams lack of touches after the 1st qtr finally being noticed is pointing out he's not getting the ball enough overall. He passes the ball 46.7 times per game (6th overall among C's) only receiving passes 29.9 times (20th).

18th in front court touches isn't nearly enough.

- 3rd, Screen Assists
- 11th, Deflections
- 8th, Loose Balls Recovered
- In the top 25 bigs contesting shots, he ranks 9th in Def FG% (52.9%)

https://mobile.twitter.com/OKCTHUNDERAle...9465638913

We better get a lot he is a good trade chip

https://twitter.com/RealGM/status/1204843794736152577
Like Reply
With the way they've played recently I honestly think they let this thing play out. Mavs are in no rush, in fact they're way ahead of schedule. 

The exception would be a no-brainer deal that could put them in contention immediately. I don't think Love or Favors is the player. 

I'm thinking more along the lines of a dynamic scoring guard or small-ball four / wing to better match up with the Clippers.
Like Reply
(12-11-2019, 07:14 PM)vfromlmf Wrote: With the way they've played recently I honestly think they let this thing play out. Mavs are in no rush, in fact they're way ahead of schedule.

The exception would be a no-brainer deal that could put them in contention immediately. I don't think Love or Favors is the player.

I'm thinking more along the lines of a dynamic scoring guard or small-ball four / wing to better match up with the Clippers.

How in the world do Love (a player that would change our style of play and hurt more than help) and Favors (who is a far better fit next to KP in the frontcourt than Dwight) fit in the same sentence of negativity? Confused.

(12-11-2019, 06:40 PM)SportPsychMav Wrote:
(12-11-2019, 06:27 PM)Magickian Wrote: I've said from before the season, Adams is the man. I hope we get him because I don't see a better fit next to KP... The only other choices would be a Bruiser Post-Up type of Defender at the 4... either way we need a stronger post defender at the 4/5 than Powell...

In-Division trades are very rare. I highly doubt a Pelican being traded to the Mavs.

Iguodala is unlikely for the same reason, although might be possible because Memphis is on a different timeline and Iguodala will only help in the short term anyway, if at all.

(12-11-2019, 06:40 PM)SportPsychMav Wrote:

I have less than no interest in Drummond (as in, I would be upset if we traded for him). A lumbering dinosaur from a bygone era who doesn't play enough defense and makes way too much money. Would far rather have Adams.

My high-excitement list would be Bogdanovich, Covington, and Favors , with a healthy Covington playing the biggest role of the three in moving us toward contention this year, but with Bogdanovich being the most exciting in terms of the long term, and Favors being a drooling no-brainer if the MBT has a brain between them, which their non-pursuit of Favors last summer calls into profound question. Adams would fit just under that because of his contract. Marvin Williams and similar expiring players mentioned in that article posted in the other thread would be meh, with Iggy fitting in the same category (because there's no way he re-signs, and what we need are players who are going to be part of the first of Luka's many Mavs championships, which is unlikely to be this year, but might well be next year). In the negative would be Paul (contract + taking the ball out of Luka's hands while he's on the court, which should never happen + locker room problems + length and size of contract), Drummond, and Love.
Like Reply
(12-11-2019, 07:18 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: How in the world do Love (a player that would change our style of play and hurt more than help) and Favors (who is a far better fit next to KP in the frontcourt than Dwight) fit in the same sentence of negativity? Confused.

Love isn't the answer for certain reasons. And Favors isn't the answer for different reasons.

Favors is an upgrade over Powell to be sure. But there is opportunity cost. First, if you deal Powell you lose the Mavs best energy player. Two, like it or not, Powell is already giving you elite level offensive contribution. Three, if you play Favors more than 24-28 minutes per game you cut into Kleber's minutes. And like it or not Kleber is already giving you elite contribution in many of the areas Powell does not. Four, does Favors help you beat the Clippers? I'd argue Favors would probably be on the bench when the Clips finish with Beverly, Williams, George, Kawhi, and Harrell.

So, complicated answer but bottom line, I agree Favors is an upgrade, but how much so is certainly debatable given the risks to continuity, chemistry etc., and the fact that he'd be sitting at crunch time against the best team in the West.

The Mavs need a dynamic scoring guard or elite defensive wing who can shoot MUCH more than they need to marginally upgrade the frontcourt.
Like Reply
(12-11-2019, 09:29 PM)vfromlmf Wrote:
(12-11-2019, 07:18 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: How in the world do Love (a player that would change our style of play and hurt more than help) and Favors (who is a far better fit next to KP in the frontcourt than Dwight) fit in the same sentence of negativity? Confused.

Love isn't the answer for certain reasons. And Favors isn't the answer for different reasons.

Favors is an upgrade over Powell to be sure. But there is opportunity cost. First, if you deal Powell you lose the Mavs best energy player. Two, like it or not, Powell is already giving you elite level offensive contribution. Three, if you play Favors more than 24-28 minutes per game you cut into Kleber's minutes. And like it or not Kleber is already giving you elite contribution in many of the areas Powell does not. Four, does Favors help you beat the Clippers? I'd argue Favors would probably be on the bench when the Clips finish with Beverly, Williams, George, Kawhi, and Harrell.

So, complicated answer but bottom line, I agree Favors is an upgrade, but how much so is certainly debatable given the risks to continuity, chemistry etc., and the fact that he'd be sitting at crunch time against the best team in the West.

The Mavs need a dynamic scoring guard or elite defensive wing who can shoot MUCH more than they need to marginally upgrade the frontcourt.

How can Favors both be an upgrade over Powell while hurting the team in terms of energy and offense? I think he's better than Powell in both. And unlike Powell, he doesn't hurt defensively and on the boards.

As for your last sentence, in other words, they need Bogdanovich and Covington. Yes, yes, thank you very much. But when three of your starters are DP, DFS, and THJ, you need significant upgrades over all three. I think Bogdanovich is a major longshot, but "dynamic scoring guards" of young to prime age are pretty slim pickings in terms of trade availability, and 3-and-D wings even moreso.
Like Reply
(12-11-2019, 09:58 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: How can Favors both be an upgrade over Powell while hurting the team

Rondo was an upgrade over Jameer Nelson and that went terribly. 

One "better" player doesn't always mean better team.

Look, I'm not literally comparing Favors to Rondo but hopefully you get my point. Nelson was playing GREAT for the Mavs and they had an elite offense that year. But trading him screwed things up for lots of reasons including chemistry. Doncic + Powell PnR is the best play in the league by far. Why ruin that? Favors might be just as good, but you never know.

It's worth noting the Mavs were 19-8 when the Rondo trade went down.

(12-11-2019, 09:58 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: in other words, they need Bogdanovich and Covington. Yes, yes, thank you very much. But when three of your starters are DP, DFS, and THJ, you need significant upgrades over all three.

I don't care who starts. If the Mavs were in a tight playoff game versus the Clippers the Mavs would close with Porzingis at the five and shooters around Doncic. 

DP and Favors would both sit. Just like Zubac would sit. 

Mavs need Doncic, Porzingis, DFS, THJ and another guard or wing unless you want them to close with Barea or Curry trying to defend Paul George, Kawhi Leonard and Lou Williams.

Some might argue that Wright is the "other guard or wing". I LOVE Wright, but he's certainly not the guy to close a playoff game unless he really ups his confidence game. I don't think the Clippers would guard him on the 3pt line, which would wreck spacing, and he turns down too many good shots. As much as I love Wright and want him develop into a closer, he's not there yet.
Like Reply
(12-11-2019, 10:07 PM)vfromlmf Wrote:
(12-11-2019, 09:58 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: How can Favors both be an upgrade over Powell while hurting the team

Rondo was an upgrade over Jameer Nelson and that went terribly.

One "better" player doesn't always mean better team.

Look, I'm not literally comparing Favors to Rondo but hopefully you get my point. Nelson was playing GREAT for the Mavs and they had an elite offense that year. But trading him screwed things up for lots of reasons including chemistry. Doncic + Powell PnR is the best play in the league by far. Why ruin that? Favors might be just as good, but you never know.

It's worth noting the Mavs were 19-8 when the Rondo trade went down.

(12-11-2019, 09:58 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: in other words, they need Bogdanovich and Covington. Yes, yes, thank you very much. But when three of your starters are DP, DFS, and THJ, you need significant upgrades over all three.

I don't care who starts. If the Mavs were in a tight playoff game versus the Clippers the Mavs would close with Porzingis at the five and shooters around Doncic.

Mavs need Doncic, Porzingis, DFS, THJ and another guard or wing unless you want them to close with Barea or Curry trying to defend Paul George, Kawhi Leonard and Lou Williams.

Some might argue that Wright is the "other guard or wing". I LOVE Wright, but he's certainly not the guy to close a playoff game unless he really ups his confidence game. I don't think the Clippers would guard him on the 3pt line, which would wreck spacing, and he turns down too many good shots. As much as I love Wright and want him develop into a closer, he's not there yet.

Fine, fine, fine - then Mavs, go get Covington!!!
Like Reply
(12-11-2019, 09:29 PM)vfromlmf Wrote: The Mavs need a dynamic scoring guard or elite defensive wing who can shoot MUCH more than they need to marginally upgrade the frontcourt.

Just quoted a little bit, but man, this whole post is awesome

(12-11-2019, 10:07 PM)vfromlmf Wrote: I don't care who starts. If the Mavs were in a tight playoff game versus the Clippers the Mavs would close with Porzingis at the five and shooters around Doncic. 

Yes, yes, yes! V has the goods on this topic.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/johnhollinger/status/1205096703226994688?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1205144431072034816&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fbleacherreport.com%2Fdallas-mavericks

This part is interesting, Warriors trying to get below the tax line:

That takes us to Kevon Looney. A productive big who makes $4.4 million, Looney likely has positive trade value and could be flipped for a second-round pick to a team with a small trade exception.
Like Reply
The Cleveland Cavaliers are likely sellers this season as they continue to rebuild in the post-LeBron James years, and one obvious trade chip is veteran power forward Kevin Love.

But moving Love may not be as fruitful as the Cavaliers hope. Jason Lloyd of The Athletic reported: "The Cavs are asking for a first-round pick in exchange for Love, one source with knowledge of the situation said. But teams are actually asking for a first-round pick from Cleveland just to absorb the final three-and-a-half years on his deal."
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(12-12-2019, 12:11 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: The Cleveland Cavaliers are likely sellers this season as they continue to rebuild in the post-LeBron James years, and one obvious trade chip is veteran power forward Kevin Love.

But moving Love may not be as fruitful as the Cavaliers hope. Jason Lloyd of The Athletic reported: "The Cavs are asking for a first-round pick in exchange for Love, one source with knowledge of the situation said. But teams are actually asking for a first-round pick from Cleveland just to absorb the final three-and-a-half years on his deal."

lol vintage Cleveland there. How about Courtney Lee's expiring, our accountant, and Golden State's 2nd rounder?

Just kidding -- Love's contract is simply not worth it for the Mavs under practically any circumstance. We could def do better imo.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/TheHoopCentral/statu...2760650757
Like Reply