Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game 23: LA Lakers (14-10) vs. Dallas Mavericks (15-8) | 125-127 WIN!!!
On THJ, the same dynamic that he is very willing to make clutch shots and more than a few plays on offense and defense does hurt him and us when he over confidently takes bad shots when Luka is out. Jet had a somewhat similar confidence level that perhaps unwarranted. It is often a good thing and got us a championship.

So THJ is not Luka and probably not the very best option at his position. OK! As others are pointing out he is giving great effort and is improving on his weaknesses. Maybe we can win with him and maybe his wished for trade replacement would simply disappoint us.
[-] The following 2 users Like Reunion Mav's post:
  • KillerLeft, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
One fascinating tidbit from the post-game interview with Luka last night:

The interviewer was asking Luka about the behind-the-head-through-the-arms pass to Exum for the three at the top of the key.  How did he do it?  How did he see where Exum was?

Luka answered that he always tells his teammates NOT TO MOVE, and he'll remember where they are.  

So really, he doesn't have to look very much.  He can throw the ball to a spot, and know there will be someone there.

Obviously, that isn't true for every situation, like Lively's lobs. But I think the system is designed for perimeter players to stand and wait, and be ready to shoot threes.

So for those of you that want a GS-style, full-motion offense... there's that.
Like Reply
This is outstanding analysis of this game. Every fan should watch this, imho. Our own @chicagojk already mentioned some of this, but it's great stuff.

https://youtu.be/E8zSNFEmvPQ?si=kSxGkRPE0qs1GdRA
[-] The following 3 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • Reunion Mav, RoyTarpleysGhost, Winter
Like Reply
THJ was never a plus defender prior to this year. His defense improved last year, and he's giving tremendous effort this year with better defenders (GW, DJJ, Exum, Lively) around him. The effort probably feeds both on and into team morale. Props to the man. Would love to see him add that final component - passing the ball - but I wouldn't trade him now unless a really great opportunity comes up.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scott41theMavs's post:
  • WillE
Like Reply
Want to give a shotout to Hardy who played some of his best defense this game
[-] The following 1 user Likes juanc's post:
  • ballsrchr
Like Reply
That win is so very satisfying. Racking up so many wins against lesser/injured teams was amazing, but this was the current best team in the league, suiting up almost their full roster with their 2 stars playing well (box stats-wise). WE were even heavily injured!

Bravo and please, please, please, ENCORE!

Now that he has more than a few games under his belt, and with his great play against a good team playing great right now, I’m feeling much more comfortable about Lively’s ability to play like this or better going forward. The bully smallball he saw against Mem had me shaky about him (for this year, I always believed he would figure it out eventually), but the great thing to see is he’s learning from every single second he is on the floor. He didn’t produce the big time box score stats, but his impact on the game is and has almost always been seen. I really appreciate that from him.

So glad to see GWill get his shot back. It really is nice to have the bulk on the roster that can defend those big bodied PF/C’s of the league (and the anomaly that is Lebron). This was the type of defensive matchup that GWill is best suited to and I’m so happy he found such a good redemption game.

Exum was soooooo amazing! I actually started the game where my heart stopped beating until the outcome of his outside shot was displayed to being semi-confident that if he was open, it was going in! Please let that scouting report stick, and please don’t let this be an anomaly game! He’s so important out there even without the outside shot, so all the better that it might be going in.

Completely happy with this win! Let’s get the next one too!!!
[-] The following 2 users Like ItsGoTime's post:
  • KillerLeft, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
5 Minutes on Dante Exum... The Film Room

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfOVocOGYS8
[-] The following 3 users Like Winter's post:
  • KillerLeft, mvossman, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(12-13-2023, 07:09 PM)Winter Wrote: 5 Minutes on Dante Exum... The Film Room

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfOVocOGYS8

He's already my second-favorite Mav.
Like Reply
Exum needs to be reupped
Like Reply
(12-14-2023, 01:06 AM)GATA Wrote: Exum needs to be reupped

What do you mean? He’s on a two year deal, do you mean after that?
Like Reply
(12-13-2023, 11:30 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: This is outstanding analysis of this game. Every fan should watch this, imho. Our own @chicagojk already mentioned some of this, but it's great stuff.

This guy is great! I gotta make him a regular in the rotation. 

I was thinking about why they put Luka on the nail for the whole 4th quarter. It worked so well! My thought was that maybe they wanted him to work less hard to get to the start of the play. But Jason's analysis was super helpful. 

I'm with the group here on the form on being underwhelmed by JKidd at times. But this 4th quarter was definitely point Kidd. Funny thing is, I was so out on Kidd in the third quarter when he didn't put the ball in Exum's hands and let Hardy almost ruin the party. 

But maybe Kidd did that because he wanted Hardy to try to drive and kick to a hot shooting Exum. Maybe that's on Hardy and not Kidd. I would have preferred that Kidd fix the approach before the lead was completely coughed up, but hey, he got the win with a good 4th quarter plan.
Not very astute ^^^^
Like Reply
(12-13-2023, 11:30 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: This is outstanding analysis of this game. Every fan should watch this, imho. Our own @chicagojk already mentioned some of this, but it's great stuff.

Good point by him at the end about Vanderbilt being out and the Lakers' defensive lethargy.  If Vanderbilt is playing, a healthy Kyrie obviously helps Luka against him and other big defenses.
Like Reply
(12-14-2023, 01:26 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: What do you mean? He’s on a two year deal, do you mean after that?

Yep. His second year is non guaranteed but it looks pretty safe to say right now that we're going to guarantee it, kind of wish we did a similar structure with DJJ now because he is going to be due a raise
Like Reply