Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game 20: Utah Jazz (7-14) vs. Dallas Mavericks (12-8) | 97-147 WIN!!!!!!!!
(12-06-2023, 10:43 PM)mvossman Wrote: Might have been late with the post.  The lineup was Powell/Luka/Timmy/Kyrie/Curry.

Bleccchhh!!!!!!!

(12-06-2023, 11:03 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: Luka is amazing. He recorded the first 25 pt triple-double in the first half in league history.

He's pretty good at basketball.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scott41theMavs's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
(12-06-2023, 10:43 PM)mvossman Wrote: Might have been late with the post.  The lineup was Powell/Luka/Timmy/Kyrie/Curry.

That’s ok. O-Max can defend all 5 opposing players…FROM THE BENCH
[-] The following 3 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • fifteenth, omahen, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
Luka remains a whole lot of fun to watch. Could the headband become similar to Dirk’s long hair?
Like Reply
(12-06-2023, 11:50 PM)Reunion Mav Wrote: Luka remains a whole lot of fun to watch. Could the headband become similar to Dirk’s long hair?

Which version of Dirk was better, super long hair Dirk or buzz cut Dirk?

The correct answer was option C: messiah beard Dirk

[Image: 51575876eab8ea4760000012?width=1200&format=jpeg]
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 2 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • fifteenth, Reunion Mav
Like Reply
Mavs took care of business, not much else to say about the game. Even games against so depleted teams were often a challenge last season.

What is going on with Kessler? Affter a great rookie season he is now a back-up to Yurtseven?

Never liked Collins ideas in a Luka-Kyrie team. He is not a great defender and very difficult player to build around. Best position on offense is a center as he is great in PnR, but difficult to do with Lively as your starter. Ideal partner for him would be someone like Maxi, in his best version of course. Collins is someone who might get us a tiny little bit better, but far from putting us in the contender level. As Kuz said the other day - Mavs are one guy away. But, it has to be the right guy. Everything else will be just tinkering around the edges with similar end result regarding number of wins and position in the standings.

That is also why I am saying. If the right guy becomes available, I don't care about the cost. Size of salary, assets to get him. Not important. Of course Mavs should do best in negotiations, but I don't care what the end cost would be, as long as they add to their current core. I just want that they get it done. Look at Houston. Everyone was saying how crazy they overpayed Brooks and FVV, but they were the right guys to get them out of tanking. Sure, they might not be enough to get them to contender level, but that is more on their top picks from tanking years, who should be the stars. Not FVV or Brooks.
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • Chicagojk
Like Reply
The on-ball defense from O-max was impressive. He’s got perimeter and paint skills as well. He really has a legit shot of being a true 1-5 defender. We need to prioritize getting him ready because…..

Lively is getting more and more polished. He’s developing the chemistry with Luka. He will be ready by the end of the year and with an offseason
Like Reply
(12-07-2023, 03:11 AM)omahen Wrote: Mavs took care of business, not much else to say about the game. Even games against so depleted teams were often a challenge last season.

What is going on with Kessler? Affter a great rookie season he is now a back-up to Yurtseven?

Never liked Collins ideas in a Luka-Kyrie team. He is not a great defender and very difficult player to build around. Best position on offense is a center as he is great in PnR, but difficult to do with Lively as your starter. Ideal partner for him would be someone like Maxi, in his best version of course. Collins is someone who might get us a tiny little bit better, but far from putting us in the contender level. As Kuz said the other day - Mavs are one guy away. But, it has to be the right guy. Everything else will be just tinkering around the edges with similar end result regarding number of wins and position in the standings.

That is also why I am saying. If the right guy becomes available, I don't care about the cost. Size of salary, assets to get him. Not important. Of course Mavs should do best in negotiations, but I don't care what the end cost would be, as long as they add to their current core. I just want that they get it done. Look at Houston. Everyone was saying how crazy they overpayed Brooks and FVV, but they were the right guys to get them out of tanking. Sure, they might not be enough to get them to contender level, but that is more on their top picks from tanking years, who should be the stars. Not FVV or Brooks.

I was thinking about Kessler too.   I saw on Reddit someone say he was injured to start the year and also lost confidence with Team USA.   Something to monitor but he didn't look nearly as imposing as he was last year.

Utah still has a ton of picks coming, but the shine has worn off a little about being one of the "next" teams.   Lauri is really good, but they still need a lot of "A" talent.   Even Minny has played well and that trade doesn't look awful at the moment as Gobert has been playing really well.   

I really wonder if there is some reflection that they did not embrace the tank last year.   Tough to do with Lauri playing so well and the start they got off to.   But, they are sort in an odd position now.
Like Reply
(12-06-2023, 11:13 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: That’s ok. O-Max can defend all 5 opposing players…FROM THE BENCH

I think the shot is going to be an issue all year.   It is not a one year fix.  But I think the Mavs knew that.  On offense, he is a little out of sorts.  Especially when he needs to go get the ball.    It just looks odd right now.  He seems comfortable grabbing a board and going with it though.  The half court offense looks off.  

The key for playing time right now is knowing the defensive rotations, playing good man defense and finding ways to impact the game without having plays called for him (cutting, rebounding, etc).   I think we may see him get chances slowly.  Even if it is only 10-15 minutes by the end of the year (and probably then be out of the playoff rotation when that comes).   It would be great if he earned that role this year and going into next year working for a bigger role.  Minutes are tight though so he will really need to earn those minutes and gain trust in the staff.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply
(12-07-2023, 09:27 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I was thinking about Kessler too.   I saw on Reddit someone say he was injured to start the year and also lost confidence with Team USA.   Something to monitor but he didn't look nearly as imposing as he was last year.

Utah still has a ton of picks coming, but the shine has worn off a little about being one of the "next" teams.   Lauri is really good, but they still need a lot of "A" talent.   Even Minny has played well and that trade doesn't look awful at the moment as Gobert has been playing really well.   

I really wonder if there is some reflection that they did not embrace the tank last year.   Tough to do with Lauri playing so well and the start they got off to.   But, they are sort in an odd position now.

Yeah, Utah played surprisingly well last season, but they traded most of their talent at TDL, because they were no where near ready. I think they will go more or less full tank this season, although SA, Detroit and Washington will be hard to "beat".

(12-07-2023, 09:31 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I think the shot is going to be an issue all year.   It is not a one year fix.  But I think the Mavs knew that.  On offense, he is a little out of sorts.  Especially when he needs to go get the ball.    It just looks odd right now.  He seems comfortable grabbing a board and going with it though.  The half court offense looks off.  

The key for playing time right now is knowing the defensive rotations, playing good man defense and finding ways to impact the game without having plays called for him (cutting, rebounding, etc).   I think we may see him get chances slowly.  Even if it is only 10-15 minutes by the end of the year (and probably then be out of the playoff rotation when that comes).   It would be great if he earned that role this year and going into next year working for a bigger role.  Minutes are tight though so he will really need to earn those minutes and gain trust in the staff.

The thing that bothers me with him on offense is that he "complicates". His only task is to stand in the corner, shoot an open shot or pass it if it isn't there. But he is rarely taking the shot and almost always deciding for a couple of half measured dribbles towards the paint which are not an aggresive drive. Basically totally needless dribbles.
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply
Really like how Omax always contests shots. I also like how his hands are always moving when he is guarding one on one. Just something small but I think it helps. He is also good at using his body to stop penetration and to fight over screens.

Still a lot of work for him but these are similar things you saw in his college highlights.

https://twitter.com/anelsmailbasic/statu...7875525075
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(12-07-2023, 12:04 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Really like how Omax always contests shots.  I also like how his hands are always moving when he is guarding one on one.  Just something small but I think it helps.  He is also good at using his body to stop penetration and to fight over screens. 

Still a lot of work for him but these are similar things you saw in his college highlights.

Not sure how to put images on here but if you look at the 1:05 mark of that video you can see exactly what the Mavs envisioned when they drafted OMax.  He's the perfect weak side wing help defender for a defense that is designed to overload the strong side.  You just need a giant condor like OMax to make that stuff work the way it's written up.
[-] The following 4 users Like StrandedOnBeauboisHill's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, mvossman, Scott41theMavs, surfpuckmd
Like Reply
(12-07-2023, 03:11 AM)omahen Wrote:  

I'm not convinced Collins to Dallas is dead (or a bad idea).  First, it is the nature of Ainge.  He's a day trader and he bought low (space and a distant second).  Plus, he needed the salary to get to the floor.  As soon as he can find something worth more than a distant second, I suspect Collins is gone.  

The packages that make sense are probably THJ and some kind of draft capital (THJ would also be flipped at some point as none of this is about on-court fit for Ainge).  THJ + Green also works.  Pet Peeve...Nick on the Locked On Pod the other day told listeners that Green's poison pill is 'too complex to really explain', but that we should just understand that Green is hard to trade and it probably requires a third team.  If you are going to run a freaking podcast, please do a little math every now and then.  Green's PP isn't that difficult (as the fact that he and THJ can be traded for Collins illustrates).  If Green went out with THJ and Collins was the only returning, Dallas would be under the LT still.  I've long assumed they want to use up that space, but no more in any deal I'm designing.

Is Collins ideal?  No.  Might he be better off the bench than THJ on a team that needs size and more rebounding?  Yes.  Do I care that he or GWill, making the money they do, might have to come off the bench?  No.  I'm trying to build a stronger team (even if it is incremental).  Do I hate to give up on Josh?  Yeah, but if there is somewhere we can absorb the loss, it is probably a spot where Exum, Seth and Hardy can play.  Heck, DJJ fits the bill too as he's been starting over Josh in what was assumed to be Josh's spot (except that one recent game).  If we like Collins for a few minutes at backup center, he brings more size and rebounding than DJJ and GWill who often get mentioned for the role of S-B5.  I've not sent out Holmes or Powell in this deal and I like your Maxi/Collins lineup idea.  I do not believe adding Collins stunts the development of OMax as there is room in a second unit for him to get developmental minutes.  His role is ultimately the role DJJ and Green are playing in smaller frames.

I don't disagree that this is tinkering.  But on a really good day this team can beat (and lose to) anyone.  I don't count tinkering as a bad thing.  I also think with all of the picks Ainge has there is probably a way to rearrange the deck chairs in a way that helps both teams.

(12-07-2023, 12:04 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Really like how Omax always contests shots.  I also like how his hands are always moving when he is guarding one on one.  Just something small but I think it helps.  He is also good at using his body to stop penetration and to fight over screens. 

He feels like he's every so slightly less 'deer in the headlights' rushed as each game goes by.  Encouraging.
Like Reply
I don't want to spend any assets on a minor improvement which will make it way more difficult to bring in the right guy. Collins has a year longer contract than THJ, Mavs will have an asset less and Collins salary will likely be needed to bring in that right guy. THJ expiring plus Green and other assets are way more attractive possibility in the summer than Collins.
[-] The following 3 users Like omahen's post:
  • MFFL, mvossman, StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply
(12-07-2023, 02:42 PM)omahen Wrote: I don't want to spend any assets on a minor improvement which will make it way more difficult to bring in the right guy. Collins has a year longer contract than THJ, Mavs will have an asset less and Collins salary will likely be needed to bring in that right guy. THJ expiring plus Green and other assets are way more attractive possibility in the summer than Collins.

Not to mention that I disagree with the idea that Collins fits better here than THJ. 

I guess I'm the only one who's in love with Hardaway's fit as 6th man. Such a noticeable difference when he was out the other day. The offense suffered quite a bit. 

I get that it might be enticing to view him as a luxury there and to use him in a trade to shore up an area of need, hoping (because it's hope, not a given) that either Curry, Hardy or a combination of both can fill in for Hardaway, but...idk, Collins doesn't do it for me, really. I can kind of see it, I guess, but I really think Hardaway would be missed here.

(12-07-2023, 01:43 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote:

He feels like he's every so slightly less 'deer in the headlights' rushed as each game goes by.  Encouraging.

Man, if O-Max can become even just the 10th-11th guy by the end of this season, this whole thing changes significantly for the better. 

THERE'S your Williams replacement. Just have to be patient.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(12-07-2023, 09:38 AM)omahen Wrote: The thing that bothers me with him on offense is that he "complicates". His only task is to stand in the corner, shoot an open shot or pass it if it isn't there. But he is rarely taking the shot and almost always deciding for a couple of half measured dribbles towards the paint which are not an aggresive drive. Basically totally needless dribbles.
I think that’s because he has no lift on his jump (which is also why his rebounding numbers are bad). If he were to drive like that with a full head of steam and had the lift to dunk emphatically (think Zion), lots of players would just stay away.

Edit: Oh crap, you were talking OMax, not GWill. Well, I do see the same thing with GWill and that is what I think is the issue.
Like Reply
Agree with what everyone here is saying about Omax. He simply needs to become serviceable in the next two seasons on offense. Just a league average 3 point shooter. His defensive potential is absolutely off the charts. I’ve said this before, but if we are patient, we may have our future OG right here in front of us. That’s said, I would still keep Green, DJJ AND try to trade for a big wing (ala OG) if the right one comes available. I think Omax is at least a few years away from being a dependable deep playoff run performer. Omax will replace Maxi as he ages out quite nicely. 

If Green and Omax continue to develop and we add another big wing like OG we could potentially roll out a Lively, Omax, OG, Green, Luka lineup.
Like Reply
(12-07-2023, 12:38 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: Not sure how to put images on here but if you look at the 1:05 mark of that video you can see exactly what the Mavs envisioned when they drafted OMax.  He's the perfect weak side wing help defender for a defense that is designed to overload the strong side.  You just need a giant condor like OMax to make that stuff work the way it's written up.

I really like the condor analogy.  He looks like a tap dancing condor out there.  He fights on defense like he's starving for minutes. The defensive potential is awesome.

Also, tip of the cap to Jason Kidd for playing OMax over Markieff Morris lately.  I think that's a courageous decision.  I like how Kidd is finding minutes for OMax and hope this continues...even if it costs a few games this season.  

His offense is really bad but I don't care.  I see all NBA defense in the future.
Like Reply
(12-07-2023, 11:36 PM)surfpuckmd Wrote: Also, tip of the cap to Jason Kidd for playing OMax over Markieff Morris lately.  I think that's a courageous decision.  I like how Kidd is finding minutes for OMax and hope this continues...even if it costs a few games this season.  

Why? That's an easy decision.
Morris has nothing left.

I think Omax playing is not at the expense of Morris, but rather the minutes come directly from GW/DJJ.
A small slice of the pie, but Kidd would get his credit for that.

Now...
Kidd has played THJ as PF more than a few times, I'd give Kidd added credit if he plays Omax rather than the abomination of THJ (as PF) and GW (as C).
THJ at PF should never happen. Might as well play Omax than do that.
Like Reply
Don't really share the optimisim regardin O-Max, to be honest. Yes, I see the defensive potential (and impact already) BUT I assume he has not started playing basketball two months ago, right? He is even more raw on offense than Hasheem Thabeet, he is runnig around like a headless chicken and has no jumpshot whatsoever. Why would that change in the foreseeable future? What the hell has he been doing until now?
Like Reply
(12-08-2023, 04:24 AM)meistermatze Wrote: Don't really share the optimisim regardin O-Max,...He is even more raw on offense than Hasheem Thabeet, 

I disagree. 

He is guilty of playing too fast for his current understanding of the game, yes. Anyone can see that. 

But, while his shot isn't falling, you can tell he HAS a shot, and tbh, his handles and ability to straight line drive are far better than I expected. He can actually DO quite a bit of useful stuff on offense, it's just a matter of getting him to calm down and pick the right TIMES to do those things. 

I'm not worried at all.
Like Reply