Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game 20: Utah Jazz (7-14) vs. Dallas Mavericks (12-8) | 97-147 WIN!!!!!!!!
My biggest issue with OMax's shot is that it's way too slow on the wind up. Makes wide open looks into contested shots.

I remember Dodo having a similar problem his rookie year. Took him 3 years before he had a comfortable looking shot. I don't think OMax will take that long, but he won't really be a ready product until he can comfortably step into a shot. Until then, he's a pretty flawed, albeit talented bench player.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(12-08-2023, 09:55 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: My biggest issue with OMax's shot is that it's way too slow on the wind up. Makes wide open looks into contested shots.

I remember Dodo having a similar problem his rookie year. Took him 3 years before he had a comfortable looking shot. I don't think OMax will take that long, but he won't really be a ready product until he can comfortably step into a shot. Until then, he's a pretty flawed, albeit talented bench player.

It might take his shot a while. I hope not, but I agree, it's possible. 

If/when he becomes a threat from the corner, don't you think he's already shown the ability to attack closeouts, though? Seriously, his handle is better than I expected. It's the intent that needs work with him, imo.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • MarkAguirreWrathofGod
Like Reply
(12-08-2023, 09:29 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: I disagree. 

He is guilty of playing too fast for his current understanding of the game, yes. Anyone can see that. 

But, while his shot isn't falling, you can tell he HAS a shot, and tbh, his handles and ability to straight line drive are far better than I expected. He can actually DO quite a bit of useful stuff on offense, it's just a matter of getting him to calm down and pick the right TIMES to do those things. 

I'm not worried at all.

I agree with the guy above. i dont see it with OMax. At all. 

I'm usually fooled by young talent. i think all of our guys are going to be great.  I started watching Mavs bball back in 92-93.  I've seen plenty of busts that i saw something that fooled me their rookie year. From guys like Samaki Walker and Tony Dumas to Courtney Alexander, Mo Ager, Dominique Jones, Ricky Ledo, Shane Larkin, and Jared Cunningham. 

I saw stuff in spares like that. I absolutely do not see anything serviceable in OMax. Yes he hustles and plays hard. He flashes defensive potential. But from my very amateur eye, i'm not seeing an NBA player here. 

This is one thing i do not want to be correct about. So i'm pulling for the kid and hope he has a successful career. Here or wherever.
Like Reply
(12-08-2023, 10:52 AM)Nowitzki Way Wrote: I agree with the guy above. i dont see it with OMax. At all. 

I'm usually fooled by young talent. i think all of our guys are going to be great.  I started watching Mavs bball back in 92-93.  I've seen plenty of busts that i saw something that fooled me their rookie year. From guys like Samaki Walker and Tony Dumas to Courtney Alexander, Mo Ager, Dominique Jones, Ricky Ledo, Shane Larkin, and Jared Cunningham. 

I saw stuff in spares like that. I absolutely do not see anything serviceable in OMax. Yes he hustles and plays hard. He flashes defensive potential. But from my very amateur eye, i'm not seeing an NBA player here. 

This is one thing i do not want to be correct about. So i'm pulling for the kid and hope he has a successful career. Here or wherever.

Well, according to your own post, your track record isn't great, right? 

Did you watch O-Max in college at all? Did you like the way he bothered Chet Holmgren the other night? Man, I sure did. The whole "he can guard 1-5" thing gets thrown around a lot nowadays, but in O-Max's case, I think it's actually TRUE. 

I think he's going to be a stud, and I don't think he's as raw as some people claim (key word being "as"). 

But, hey, I've been wrong before, too. I was pretty convince Patrick Williams would be a steal for Chicago at #4, and picking him turned out to be an extinction-level-event for this entire era of their team. Well, that and Ball's injury.

I will HAPPILY buy up everyone's land on O-Max island. Name your prices, friends!
Like Reply
O-Max certainly brings the energy, which can be important on some nights.

I think, as an earlier poster said, he needs to slow down and let the game come to him. Right now he's like a little terrier who has been enclosed in a kennel too long and just has to burn off the energy when he gets a chance.

My hope is that he finds out the pros are a big step up in overall skill from college, but it's not necessarily faster than college. Maybe even more deliberate as the season is a LOT longer and experienced pros can use your eagerness against you.

I think O-Max will be OK once he gets more game time. We are all a little spoiled by how quickly our other 1st rounder has become a key player, but everybody is different.
[-] The following 1 user Likes michaeltex's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
(12-08-2023, 11:21 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Well, according to your own post, your track record isn't great, right? 

Did you watch O-Max in college at all? Did you like the way he bothered Chet Holmgren the other night? Man, I sure did. The whole "he can guard 1-5" thing gets thrown around a lot nowadays, but in O-Max's case, I think it's actually TRUE. 

I think he's going to be a stud, and I don't think he's as raw as some people claim (key word being "as"). 

But, hey, I've been wrong before, too. I was pretty convince Patrick Williams would be a steal for Chicago at #4, and picking him turned out to be an extinction-level-event for this entire era of their team. Well, that and Ball's injury.

I will HAPPILY buy up everyone's land on O-Max island. Name your prices, friends!

Oh, my track record is sketchy at best. I definitely don't have a future as a talent evaluator.  I thought Roddy B was the next D-Wade. 

I can admit i watched zero O-Max college games. I did start paying attention to him after hearing his name come up during the combine. Watched the typical youtube highlights. He looked more fluid in collge. Right now he just looks so awkward, athletically. He looks like he's running in concrete shoes. Its strange. 

I hope you're right on this one. If he develops into what you some of you think, we've got a steal. I'm all for it.
[-] The following 3 users Like Nowitzki Way's post:
  • DallasMaverick, KillerLeft, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(12-08-2023, 01:26 PM)Nowitzki Way Wrote: I correctly asserted that Roddy B was better than D-Wade. 

Fixed this for you.
[-] The following 3 users Like StrandedOnBeauboisHill's post:
  • DallasMaverick, ItsGoTime, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply