Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game 19: Oklahoma City Thunder (12-6) vs. Dallas Mavericks (11-7) | 8:00pm CST
(12-04-2023, 04:54 PM)mvossman Wrote: Who is your primary target for that DJJ upgrade?  Siakam?

I would like to see a healthy Maxi return and see if he can get back to what he used to be.  What are you willing to send out at the TDL for that backup center role?

Question #1:  Anyone who obviously pushes GWill to the bench.  Siakam would be the best I could imagine, but we won't have the capital to do that until summer.  Maybe the Collins and Grant and PJ types could be had at the TDL?

Question #2:  I'm about done with Maxi.  If I'm trading for a center this season (if), it is to set us up with greater certainty for the playoffs.  Just like you can't give away playoff games because your center gets in foul trouble (a known issue), you can't give them away because Maxi gets dinged again (another known issue)  If one doesn't care about the playoffs this year, then stand pat and it is a developmental year.  I'm just not sold we have the patience for that (nor am I sold that we should have the patience for that).

The quality of center and what else we send out determines where I am on sending 2027 and what the protections look like.  I think part of acquiring a 2028 second is that it can serve as the consolation prize if 2027 doesn't convey because of the protections.  I've never been sold on Hardy being untouchable.  I think you can find undersized gunners with questionable handles any time you want.  So, he could be included also.  Something to be mindful of is some of the teams that come up in rumors already have their version of Hardy.  For instance, does Hardy to Utah make any sense when they already have Sexton and Clarkson?
[-] The following 3 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • DallasMaverick, ItsGoTime, StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply
(12-04-2023, 07:28 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Question #1:  Anyone who obviously pushes GWill to the bench.  Siakam would be the best I could imagine, but we won't have the capital to do that until summer.  Maybe the Collins and Grant and PJ types could be had at the TDL?

Question #2:  I'm about done with Maxi.  If I'm trading for a center this season (if), it is to set us up with greater certainty for the playoffs.  Just like you can't give away playoff games because your center gets in foul trouble (a known issue), you can't give them away because Maxi gets dinged again (another known issue)  If one doesn't care about the playoffs this year, then stand pat and it is a developmental year.  I'm just not sold we have the patience for that (nor am I sold that we should have the patience for that).

The quality of center and what else we send out determines where I am on sending 2027 and what the protections look like.  I think part of acquiring a 2028 second is that it can serve as the consolation prize if 2027 doesn't convey because of the protections.  I've never been sold on Hardy being untouchable.  I think you can find undersized gunners with questionable handles any time you want.  So, he could be included also.  Something to be mindful of is some of the teams that come up in rumors already have their version of Hardy.  For instance, does Hardy to Utah make any sense when they already have Sexton and Clarkson?

The problem is all three of those guys are a downgrade defensively from DJJ, and Collins (at 26 mil a year) is the only one bringing more rebounding (Grant is actually worse).  Seems like we would be spending to upgrade the offense without really addressing the defensive issues.  I'm struggling to come up with a true DJJ upgrade that we could afford at the TDL.

It sounds like you are willing to send out the 27 for another center if its the right deal.  To me, Lively looks like he will be ready to play 30 minutes a game by next season and you can probably get a decent backup with the tax MLE.  I can see an argument for a small deal to beef up the center rotation, but I would hate to give up our last real asset for a backup center.

On another note regarding protecting the pick, I wonder if there is an argument to made that we would be better off trading the pick as unprotected in order to get maximum value.  We have very little firsts to trade, and protecting them in a trade would be reducing an already small asset pool for the sake of risk aversion.  Protected picks can also hamper access to future firsts to trade.
Like Reply
(12-04-2023, 07:28 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Siakam would be the best I could imagine, but we won't have the capital to do that until summer.  

I am not sure Toronto can get more than one unprotected first for Siakam at TDL. He is an UFA in the summer and will want a max or near max contract. The thing going for them is that the league is wide open and many teams could see themselves as serious contenders if they get a guy like Siakam. Mavs biggest issue is non expiring salary.

I have said many times - Siakam pretty much dictates where he wants to go to. No team will pay serious assets without strong assurance he will resign with them in the summer. Even with this it is still a risk. So if Siakam signals a couple of teams where he wants to be, there won't be much competition for him.

I think Toronto blew their chance for huge return for Siakam last TDL.
Like Reply
(12-04-2023, 05:33 PM)youzigizag Wrote: What you all think of Kevin "Red Velvet" Heurter?

He and THJ have the exact same stats this year.  Same contract size too. 

Heurter is 25 years old.  Possibly has fallen out of favor with fans.  His game has taken a step back...speculation is because coach told him to work on his all around game not bombing 3's...and supposedly he has.  Hes been decent few games Ive seen of him.

Sacramento is looking for a 3point shooting PF to spread floor for Sabonis to work.

Is THJ/filler for Collins still a thing?  If it is...

Dallas In:  Collins/Heurter

Sacramento In: Maxi

Utah In: THJ/Filler/Draft assets

Of course...Utah and Sac could just do a deal lol.  Utah would get out from Collins money a year earlier and have THJ expiring next year.  Sacramento gets their stretch 4 who fits with Sabonis and Fox.  Mavs take on Collins contract which isnt great but get younger at PF and SG.

That deal is totally one-sided for Dallas. Sac doesn't want or need Maxi who is regressing as he ages with injuries. Utah doesn't really have a need for THJ and I doubt they deal Collins for him, Sac needs 3 pt shooting so I doubt they give up on Huerter and they are developing Keegan Murray as their 3 pt shooting 4 man. He shoots it very well. I don't see this projected trade happening.
Like Reply
(12-05-2023, 08:45 AM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: That deal is totally one-sided for Dallas. Sac doesn't want or need Maxi who is regressing as he ages with injuries. Utah doesn't really have a need for THJ and I doubt they deal Collins for him, Sac needs 3 pt shooting so I doubt they give up on Huerter and they are developing Keegan Murray as their 3 pt shooting 4 man. He shoots it very well. I don't see this projected trade happening.

Ah...its THJ for Jonathan Isaac I was thinking about.   Thats the deal that is mentioned on here frequently lately, not Collins.

But the reason I posted it is because there is a thread on RealGM(yup, thats where I get most of my bball info. sue me) asking for people to submit their trade ideas on helping Sac find a PF and the PF needs to not clog the lane on offense so that Fox and Sabonis can cook.  So...I assumed Sac probably needs a stretch PF.   There were lots of people discussing options like it was a need for Sac.   If the internet played me and its BS...whatever.

I understand Maxi value has tanked since he has become AD injury wise. FO's cant take risks on injury prone guys...but I think Maxi, for all his flaws, is a quick footed, long, defensive PF that can stretch the floor. But here we are on this very forum talking about trading THJ for Jonathan Isaac. I get that the potential with Isaac is far greater...but his injury risk is far greater too. If we can talk about acquiring Isaac, I think it fair I can talk about Maxi be acquired by someone.

Ainge is the other issue with this...he is supposedly hard to work with. Getting off a guy that most think is a little overpaid earlier, new player cheaper on the books and becoming an expiring soon...while also getting assets back. Maybe he would do the deal. Whats funny is, Collins is seen as a negative on RealGM boards and a lot of posts are saying we shouldnt trade THJ based on how he is playing and his contract.
Like Reply
(12-05-2023, 09:55 AM)youzigizag Wrote: Ah...its THJ for Jonathan Isaac I was thinking about.   Thats the deal that is mentioned on here frequently lately, not Collins.

But the reason I posted it is because there is a thread on RealGM(yup, thats where I get most of my bball info. sue me) asking for people to submit their trade ideas on helping Sac find a PF and the PF needs to not clog the lane on offense so that Fox and Sabonis can cook.  So...I assumed Sac probably needs a stretch PF.   There were lots of people discussing options like it was a need for Sac.   If the internet played me and its BS...whatever.

I understand Maxi value has tanked since he has become AD injury wise.  FO's cant take risks on injury prone guys...but I think Maxi, for all his flaws, is a quick footed, long, defensive PF that can stretch the floor.  But here we are on this very forum talking about trading THJ for Jonathan Isaac.  I get that the potential with Isaac is far greater...but his injury risk is far greater too.  If we can talk about acquiring Isaac, I think it fair I can talk about Maxi be acquired by someone.

Ainge is the other issue with this...he is supposedly hard to work with.  Getting off a guy that most think is a little overpaid earlier, new player cheaper on the books and becoming an expiring soon...while also getting assets back.  Maybe he would do the deal.  Whats funny is,  Collins is seen as a negative on RealGM boards and a lot of posts are saying we shouldnt trade THJ based on how he is playing and his contract.

I don't think anyone proposed THJ for Isaac straight up. He is a lesser player for sure. That trade was about assets for THJ as Orlando needs shooting. Some think Isaac is still good and Orlando would be unwilling to trade him (I didn't see him play this season, so I can't really judge).
Like Reply
(12-05-2023, 12:58 PM)omahen Wrote: I don't think anyone proposed THJ for Isaac straight up. He is a lesser player for sure. That trade was about assets for THJ as Orlando needs shooting. Some think Isaac is still good and Orlando would be unwilling to trade him (I didn't see him play this season, so I can't really judge).

I think Sac would prefer to just go after Collins over Maxi anyway...so the whole deal is kinda bogus.  I was just throwing it out there since it seems to help all teams and if there was a scenario where Sac and Utah couldnt figure things out and third team became involved and all parties agreed.

Im sure there are better deals to be had for all three Orgs though.

Trade Machine says it was a success!  I just thunk it up in my head and looked at salaries online.  Surprised it worked on first try, though. Change in team outlook is all red for Sac though hahah. RealGM Trade Machine trade# 7889722.
Like Reply
One thing I forgot to note about this game. Chet took it at Lively in summer league. There was a few times where he bumped him and another time where he flexed with a strong move to get a basket. Chet is going to be a problem for a long time. But I really liked how it looks like Lively remembered that and wanted to get some revenge. Maybe they are good friends off the court but LIvely also really highlighted some posts on Intagram dunking over Chet. Both are former top picks. I am sure there is some ego there. Great to see.
[-] The following 3 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • mvossman, Scott41theMavs, StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply
(12-05-2023, 02:43 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: One thing I forgot to note about this game.  Chet took it at Lively in summer league.  There was a  few times where he bumped him and another time where he flexed with a strong move to get a basket.  Chet is going to be a problem for a long time.  But I really liked how it looks like Lively remembered that and wanted to get some revenge.  Maybe they are good friends off the court but LIvely also really highlighted some posts on Intagram dunking over Chet.  Both are former top picks.  I am sure there is some ego there.  Great to see.

Lively's performance was amazing.  He outperformed Chet.  Chet Holmgren isn't some typical rookie either.  EPM has him as one of the top 5 players in the entire NBA already.  I've watched at least half of the Thunder games this season.  I believe Chet is having the best rookie season since Lebron entered the NBA.  Lively outplayed him this particular game.  Just an amazing glimpse into our possible future.
Like Reply