Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game 17: Houston Rockets (8-7) vs. Dallas Mavericks (11-6) | 115-121 WIN!!!
(11-28-2023, 11:19 PM)SwisherPrice Wrote: DJJ should get 30+ minutes a game no matter what. His length and athleticism just allows him to do things that Green and GW can't...even though he's not technically as good a shooter as them

I like how he was used tonight.

I think Having DJJ, Grant, and Luka all start together makes the lineup way lacking in lateral quickness. All three of those guys should be guarding the opposing 4.
[-] The following 1 user Likes RoyTarpleysGhost's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
Very nice win  but mavs reallly need more consistency in their performances.

Highlight of the night was  jason kidd rant  against  tim "the ghoul" mac mahon.
Like Reply
(11-28-2023, 11:13 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Impressed by this Houston team.  They are tough.  We haven’t even seen their two rookies yet.  Man, a rare mistake by OKC not taking Senguin.  They might be a favorite if you added him to that roster.

Not so sure about that. Holmgren is pretty good in his own right, especially defensively.

(11-28-2023, 11:19 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Udoka is clearly a good coach.

I told anyone that listened, Udoka was going to get them straightened out, and buy in to his scheme.
[-] The following 1 user Likes HoosierDaddyKid's post:
  • The Jom
Like Reply
Missing the Dirkie. Wanted to point out the key Luka stats. Points, rebounds, assists have always been there. Last night he committed zero turnovers and hit 8/9 free throws. That’s huge. Huge-er perhaps than his monster 41/9/9.
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
[-] The following 3 users Like The Jom's post:
  • ballsrchr, BigDirk41, Reunion Mav
Like Reply
(11-29-2023, 08:30 AM)The Jom Wrote: Missing the Dirkie. Wanted to point out the key Luka stats. Points, rebounds, assists have always been there. Last night he committed zero turnovers and hit 8/9 free throws. That’s huge. Huge-er perhaps than his monster 41/9/9.

Me too...
[-] The following 1 user Likes ballsrchr's post:
  • The Jom
Like Reply
(11-29-2023, 10:03 AM)ballsrchr Wrote: Me too...

I see two people complaining about the absence of a thread instead of creating the thread.

I can’t tell you how many times we’ve made it clear that thread starting isn’t a mods-only thing.
[-] The following 3 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • BigDirk41, ItsGoTime, The Jom
Like Reply
(11-29-2023, 10:28 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: I see two people complaining about the absence of a thread instead of creating the thread.

I can’t tell you how many times we’ve made it clear that thread starting isn’t a mods-only thing.

I didn’t read that (those) thread(s). Didn’t mean for my post to come across as complaining. Guess I can see why it would come across that way. Appreciate the permission. Thought about starting it but feared would be stepping on toes.

Edit: And now that I’ve tried, I appear to be too old (or technically challenged for other reasons) to post a poll. Maybe I’ll figure that out tonight.
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
[-] The following 1 user Likes The Jom's post:
  • ItsGoTime
Like Reply
How was Holmes to you all last night?
Like Reply
(11-29-2023, 01:42 PM)youzigizag Wrote: How was Holmes to you all last night?
I think he at least for that game, showed to be a better option than Powell.
Like Reply
(11-29-2023, 01:36 PM)The Jom Wrote: I didn’t read that (those) thread(s). Didn’t mean for my post to come across as complaining. Guess I can see why it would come across that way. Appreciate the permission. Thought about starting it but feared would be stepping on toes.

Edit: And now that I’ve tried, I appear to be too old (or technically challenged for other reasons) to post a poll. Maybe I’ll figure that out tonight.

I would have posted it but it seems to do nothing whenever I check the I want to post a poll option on the preview. Luka has my vote
Like Reply
(11-29-2023, 01:36 PM)The Jom Wrote: I didn’t read that (those) thread(s). Didn’t mean for my post to come across as complaining. Guess I can see why it would come across that way. Appreciate the permission. Thought about starting it but feared would be stepping on toes.

You are welcome to start any thread you want. I’m sure SH would be pleased to not have to post every single game thread if he didn’t have to. The beauty of you posting the thread yourself is you can also make it look and say anything you want. Start a new tradition with whatever you want to talk about and how you want to talk about it!
[-] The following 1 user Likes ItsGoTime's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(11-29-2023, 02:04 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: You are welcome to start any thread you want. I’m sure SH would be pleased to not have to post every single game thread if he didn’t have to. The beauty of you posting the thread yourself is you can also make it look and say anything you want. Start a new tradition with whatever you want to talk about and how you want to talk about it!

Cool!

Thinking about renaming the award from “The Dirkie” to “The Powie” in honor of the greatest Mav ever.

Or maybe “The Timmay”?
[-] The following 3 users Like DallasMaverick's post:
  • BigDirk41, ItsGoTime, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(11-29-2023, 02:06 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: Cool!

Thinking about renaming the award from “The Dirkie” to “The Powie” in honor of the greatest Mav ever.

Or maybe “The Timmay”?
Participation in any thread is not required!
[-] The following 1 user Likes ItsGoTime's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
The tournament is for suckers! Since they didn't advance, the Mavs got rewarded with 2 winnable games now vs. the Jazz and Trailblazers instead...I'll take it. Those 2 games could come in handy in April for playoff seeding
Like Reply
(11-29-2023, 01:36 PM)The Jom Wrote: I didn’t read that (those) thread(s). Didn’t mean for my post to come across as complaining. Guess I can see why it would come across that way. Appreciate the permission. Thought about starting it but feared would be stepping on toes.

Sorry if my response was harsh. That was unintentional. 

Yeah, Kamm basically felt like he had to do everything all of the time, and so basically, he DID everything all of the time. We kept telling him to just let some things slide and stay sane, and we made a big deal back then about how ANYONE can make threads. He never figured out how to simply not do something he was sick of doing, and consequently, he got burned out and bailed. Sucks. 

I can't speak for the other two mods (we don't even have the power to make more, because all the admins have left), but I'm not going to be a slave to the board's schedule. We're all around enough to make sure the place is modded, and that, to me, is holding up our end. SH is great about making game threads/dirkies, but it's unreasonable to expect him to do all of them - it's not like we get paid. I'll do some, sometimes, but if a consistent Dirkie thread is something the community wants, the community is going to have to pony up some of the effort.
[-] The following 4 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • BigDirk41, DallasMaverick, ItsGoTime, mvossman
Like Reply
(11-29-2023, 10:28 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: I see two people complaining about the absence of a thread instead of creating the thread.

I also didn't complain.  Just made a comment about the Dirkie thread.  And I have read that it isn't a mods only thing.  And once again...I don't want to make that thread.  My old flat head (engine) brain probably couldn't figure it out either.

If you guys don't want to do the Dirkie--fine.  Don't do it.  That'll just be one more aspect of a thriving forum that fades away.

If a Dirkie thread is made...I'll join in awarding "my" Dirkie.  I will also usually comment on the overall game and specific players.  I make no claim to being a basketball savant.  Just a long time...very long time...Mavs fan.
Like Reply
(11-29-2023, 08:24 PM)ballsrchr Wrote: If you guys don't want to do the Dirkie--fine.  Don't do it.  That'll just be one more aspect of a thriving forum that fades away.

Maybe you don't mean it this way, but this comment strikes me as very, very negative. Hence "complaint." 

Nobody is twisting your arm (or anyone else's) about making a Dirkie thread, but if you don't want to be part of the solution, the easiest way not to be negative is to just not mention anything. Pointing out that it isn't getting made IS expecting someone to work for you (for free), or at least can be interpreted that way very, very easily.

Just something to think about.
Like Reply
(11-29-2023, 08:30 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Maybe you don't mean it this way, but this comment strikes me as very, very negative. Hence "complaint." 

Nobody is twisting your arm (or anyone else's) about making a Dirkie thread, but if you don't want to be part of the solution, the easiest way not to be negative is to just not mention anything. Pointing out that it isn't getting made IS expecting someone to work for you (for free), or at least can be interpreted that way very, very easily.

Just something to think about.

Alright.  I though about it.  Sorry for my "complaint".  I don't know when it was--didn't seem all that long ago--some of us donated money to keep this forum going.  I'm certainly willing to do the same again if it will help.  Would it be possible to contact the last person who had "superuser" capabilities and get that transferred?  That might help relieve some pressure on the current mods.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ballsrchr's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(11-29-2023, 08:42 PM)ballsrchr Wrote: Alright.  I though about it.  Sorry for my "complaint".  I don't know when it was--didn't seem all that long ago--some of us donated money to keep this forum going.  I'm certainly willing to do the same again if it will help.  Would it be possible to contact the last person who had "superuser" capabilities and get that transferred?  That might help relieve some pressure on the current mods.

It's StepBackJay's site. 

My current read is that he's hoping it will die, since he hasn't given any of the three remaining mods admin powers, despite numerous requests. Even if that's wrong, I need to be fully transparent and say that I, personally, have no clue where that donation money goes, how much it costs to maintain this place, or any of that. I just don't know. 

On the topic at hand, thread-making, I'll just point out again that NONE of us here are better than or separate from any of the rest. We're all on the same level, here for the same reasons, so thread-making isn't really a "mod" thing. It might seem like there's a connection there because of how Kammrath maintained all the "super threads" but going back to Yuku and before, people in this community have always started threads. Always. 

EVERYONE READING SHOULD FEEL FREE TO PITCH IN AND MAKE THIS COMMUNITY WHAT YOU WANT IT TO BE.
[-] The following 6 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • ballsrchr, BolsDamols, DallasMaverick, HIMAV, ItsGoTime, Reunion Mav
Like Reply
(11-29-2023, 02:48 PM)SwisherPrice Wrote: The tournament is for suckers! Since they didn't advance, the Mavs got rewarded with 2 winnable games now vs. the Jazz and Trailblazers instead...I'll take it. Those 2 games could come in handy in April 
I guess given all other games are scheduled the old certain amount of games against certain teams thing has indeed been mildly modified. It sure looked like the Rockets last night were willing to give up that advantage in favor of moving on for the cup. Yeah. Learned something.
Like Reply