Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TRADE: Harden+Tucker to LAC| Morris+Batum+RoCo+KJ Martin to PHI+picks
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1719233117100142839
BREAKING: The Philadelphia 76ers have agreed on a trade to send guard James Harden to the Los Angeles Clippers, sources tell ESPN.

[Image: F9vxaJhW4AAGkAF?format=jpg&name=small]
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
And no details! And it’s almost 3am where I am. Ughh.
Like Reply
@wojespn
The Sixers are acquiring Marcus Morris, Nic Batum, Robert Covington, KJ Martin, multiple draft picks and a pick swap for James Harden, PJ Tucker and Filip Petrusev, sources tell ESPN.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1719242635972337916
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
Seems like Marcus Morris has to be part of it, salary-wise and in that he’s a quality player on an expiring contract. Then Powell, Zubac or Mann. Not sure Morey wants that Powell contract. Zubac would be an amazing and overqualified backup for Embiid and I’m sure they could flip him. They also just paid Paul Reed.
Like Reply
@wojespn
The Clippers are sending the Sixers a 2028 unprotected first-round pick, two second-round picks and a pick swap, sources tell ESPN. The Clippers are also routing the 76ers an additional future first-round pick from a third team.
Like Reply
@wojespn
The 76ers are waiving veteran guard Danny Green, sources tell ESPN. Philadelphia needed the roster spot to complete the trade with the Clippers.
Like Reply
I guess the picks were really important because they basically just got a pu pu player for Harden and PJ. Covington seems pretty washed, KJ Martin is pretty meh. Batum and Morris are nice pieces for a contender. But they’ll have to move those picks for another difference maker. 

Also sucks that LAC got to hang onto Powell, Mann AND Zubac. Arguably all 3 are better players than anyone the Sixers got in the deal.
Like Reply
Morris has been mega ass for the last 2 years. Batum has been solid but I'm shocked he hasn't announced he's going to not report and just retire (as he said the Clips are the last team he'll play for and this is his last season).

KJ is an okay piece with upside. Seems like they sent Harden for free given that they didn't even get Mann.
Like Reply
(10-31-2023, 01:57 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Morris has been mega ass for the last 2 years. Batum has been solid but I'm shocked he hasn't announced he's going to not report and just retire (as he said the Clips are the last team he'll play for and this is his last season).

KJ is an okay piece with upside. Seems like they sent Harden for free given that they didn't even get Mann.

It is hard to fathom. Not that Morey had any options. Cant punt on a year of Embiids prime and risk him walking. And they couldn’t trade him anywhere else because he would e just pulled fat lazy James routine. 

I think the only explanation is that Morey values the picks more highly than getting one or more of Mann, Zubac or Powell— for varying reasons.
Like Reply
(10-31-2023, 02:55 AM)MarkAguirreWrathofGod Wrote: It is hard to fathom. Not that Morey had any options. Cant punt on a year of Embiids prime and risk him walking. And they couldn’t trade him anywhere else because he would e just pulled fat lazy James routine. 

I think the only explanation is that Morey values the picks more highly than getting one or more of Mann, Zubac or Powell— for varying reasons.

I think the plan is pretty clear - they are looking to trade the first round picks for the next unhappy superstar. Their core is good enough to keep them in the playoff hunt and then Morey will be active at the trade deadline, looking to duplicate our Irving or the Suns Durant trade from last season and reload for the playoffs.
[-] The following 3 users Like Knutsen's post:
  • HoosierDaddyKid, omahen, RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
(10-31-2023, 04:08 AM)Knutsen Wrote: I think the plan is pretty clear - they are looking to trade the first round picks for the next unhappy superstar. Their core is good enough to keep them in the playoff hunt and then Morey will be active at the trade deadline, looking to duplicate our Irving or the Suns Durant trade from last season and reload for the playoffs.

Toronto and Chicago probably prime targets. Any of those guys (LaVine, DeRozan, Siakam, Anunoby) could fit with Philly. 

Interesting - LAC gave Philly all four of their PF and now have Tucker as their only option (outside of their stars).
Like Reply
All the contracts are expiring for the sixers. They could have 65 million in cap room this summer. I expect morey is active to make a trade this year though and then have a max spot still available. I see the clippers are routing another team first to Philly. Whose and how did the acquire another first?

Clippers are going to be interesting to see how this all plays out.
Like Reply
(10-31-2023, 05:09 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: All the contracts are expiring for the sixers.  They could have 65 million in cap room this summer.  I expect morey is active to make a trade this year though and then have a max spot still available.  I see the clippers are routing another team first to Philly.  Whose and how did the acquire another first?

Clippers are going to be interesting to see how this all plays out.

Clippers may wind up being a clown show with Harden, Westbrook, Kawhi, and PG. And Ty Lue who I like as a HC has to make this all work.  Who's going to defer and sacrifice for the good of the team?  And Ballmer?  Does he actually know what he's doing taking on toxic James Harden?  He must like throwing all his money around.
[-] The following 1 user Likes HoosierDaddyKid's post:
  • The Jom
Like Reply
Shams saying the sixers also get the 26 clippers first. OKC had that and their fans valued that pick as it was unprotected. It will be interesting to see what OKC got.
Like Reply
(10-31-2023, 05:26 AM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: Clippers may wind up being a clown show with Harden, Westbrook, Kawhi, and PG. And Ty Lue who I like as a HC has to make this all work.  Who's going to defer and sacrifice for the good of the team?  And Ballmer?  Does he actually know what he's doing taking on toxic James Harden?  He must like throwing all his money around.

In the playoffs, I think Westbrook comes off the bench, while either Mann or Powell starts with Harden, Kawhi, PG and Zubac.

- Harden, Mann, PG, Kawhi, Zubac
- Westbrook, Powell, Kobe Brown, Tucker, Plumlee
+ Bones, Petrusev
Like Reply
(10-31-2023, 08:01 AM)RGP1981 Wrote: In the playoffs, I think Westbrook comes off the bench, while either Mann or Powell starts with Harden, Kawhi, PG and Zubac.

- Harden, Mann, PG, Kawhi, Zubac
- Westbrook, Powell, Kobe Brown, Tucker, Plumlee
+ Bones, Petrusev

I'm interested to see if they develop continuity. Kinda of a tough sell when 4 of them are pretty much ball-dominant  I can't even say if they are a legit playoff team. To be determined....
Like Reply
(10-31-2023, 08:33 AM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: I'm interested to see if they develop continuity. Kinda of a tough sell when 4 of them are pretty much ball-dominant  I can't even say if they are a legit playoff team. To be determined....

The trade really marginalizes Westbrook because Harden is a vastly superior player who completely dominates the ball.  I think Kawhi and Paul George can play off the ball and they are both elite defensive wings when motivated.  Westbrook becomes a 15 mpg backup with this trade.  He might be effective there if he will hustle and not protest.  

I think this move makes the Clippers the 2nd-best team in the West if they are healthy.  I'd take their top 3 over the Suns' top 3.  Their depth is also much better than the Suns.  

The Clippers are scary unless one of their stars is hurt.  The good news is their stars seem to get hurt a lot.
[-] The following 2 users Like surfpuckmd's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, ItsGoTime
Like Reply
(10-31-2023, 06:35 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Shams saying the sixers also get the 26 clippers first.  OKC had that and their fans valued that pick as it was unprotected.  It will be interesting to see what OKC got.

Sounds like it’s the worst of the picks they have for 2026 and they received a 2027 swap from the clippers for it.
Like Reply
(10-31-2023, 01:52 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: @wojespn
The 76ers are waiving veteran guard Danny Green, sources tell ESPN. Philadelphia needed the roster spot to complete the trade with the Clippers.

BE PREPARED
[-] The following 2 users Like Scott41theMavs's post:
  • KillerLeft, MarkAguirreWrathofGod
Like Reply
@KeithSmithNBA
I’ve got the Clippers short about $1M or so in matching salary , if James Harden waives his trade bonus. If he doesn’t, the Clippers are about $5M or so short.

Between that and the third team for pick purposes, there are still lots of moving parts in this trade.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan
Like Reply