Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 1: San Antonio Spurs (0-1) vs. Dallas Mavericks (1-0)| 119-126 WIN!
I hope Z.Collins doesn't fit well on the same court as Wemby. I'd love him platooning with GWill at PF.
Like Reply
(10-25-2023, 10:17 AM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: I think they want Green to be the secondary creator when he’s on the floor instead of just standing in the corner so instead of playing with Luka and Kyrie, he’ll play with one of them. Some of his talents are wasted when Luka is out there dribbling the air out of the ball for the entire shot clock.

While I don't disagree with this way of thinking and it's clear that Green plays way better with Kyrie than with Luka or Luka and Kyrie, this sounds a lot more like a Luka issue than a Green issue.  It's frustrating.
Like Reply
(10-25-2023, 01:00 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: While I don't disagree with this way of thinking and it's clear that Green plays way better with Kyrie than with Luka or Luka and Kyrie, this sounds a lot more like a Luka issue than a Green issue.  It's frustrating.

Lots of metrics disagree with this. At least it's not that Green plays badly with Luka. He's been one of the best pairs with Luka the last 2 years.

But in essence when the ball is moving and pushed, Green *looks* better. Kyrie definitely pushes the ball more, which is probably what you're seeing.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply
(10-25-2023, 01:09 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Lots of metrics disagree with this. At least it's not that Green plays badly with Luka. He's been one of the best pairs with Luka the last 2 years.

But in essence when the ball is moving and pushed, Green *looks* better. Kyrie definitely pushes the ball more, which is probably what you're seeing.

Ya for sure, I know the tandem has really great splits (which makes Kidd's decisions even more of a head scratcher) but to your point, I think Green looks more comfortable in a faster tempo and we get to see more of his game in those other situations.  Those individual net ratings though I would expect to always be dragged down when Luka isn't there to be one of the best players on the planet.

I guess what I would say is that while the numbers are certainly positive with Green and Luka, it sure seems like they could be even better if Luka found different ways to utilize him.

In the last preseason game there was a possession where Green was at the elbow extended and tossed it over to Kyrie at the top of the key and Green's man cheated over to Kyrie and he immediately gave the ball back to Green to let him attack the rim.  Those are the sort of things that I feel Luka isn't looking for, he's always looking to get people open spot up shots and I'd like to see him just find people earlier in the shot clock if the are in a good position to do something themselves with the ball.
[-] The following 1 user Likes StrandedOnBeauboisHill's post:
  • ItsGoTime
Like Reply
(10-24-2023, 06:58 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Okay lets try to rationalize this because it doesn't make that much sense from a talent perspective.

DJJ hit 37% on corner 3s last season. Couple that with his low usage, he makes sense to slide in next to 2 offensive powerhouses at the beginning of the game.

Defensively, DJJ is a bit bigger, perhaps the Mavs are looking for his length against guys like Wemby and Keldon Johnson. Who knows?

The bench needs more creation and scoring. There's a reason why Kidd wants THJ on the bench. If he was starting, our bench would have very little firepower. Josh has flashed his newfound self creation abilities. Perhaps Kidd wants Josh the freedom to use that in a lineup with Exum and THJ vs. Kyrie and Luka.

I don't agree with it. I see the thought process.

With Kidd, there is no thought process.
Like Reply
Looks like Exum is next in line once the Jones Jr experiment has failed:

https://x.com/netw3rk/status/1717248366835269692?s=46&t=-bN4oD2OLU_Ue80HIM_CZQ

This is a behind the scenes thing. No doubt Imo. Kidd probably didn’t want Green to be extended and now we’re seeing a bunch of mental gymnastics for a while.
Like Reply
(10-25-2023, 02:17 PM)JamesConway912 Wrote: Looks like Exum is next in line once the Jones Jr experiment has failed:

https://x.com/netw3rk/status/1717248366835269692?s=46&t=-bN4oD2OLU_Ue80HIM_CZQ

This is a behind the scenes thing. No doubt Imo. Kidd probably didn’t want Green to be extended and now we’re seeing a bunch of mental gymnastics for a while.

I give up
Like Reply
I'll... reserve judgment about the DJJ starting report until I see how it's handled. The season's about to start, I want to at least just enjoy one game before I nitpick

They'd better give Wemby a rough welcome to the NBA though
[-] The following 1 user Likes MrGoat's post:
  • MFFL
Like Reply
(10-25-2023, 10:26 AM)michaeltex Wrote: Vassell - 6' 5"
Johnson - 6' 5"
Sochan - 6' 8"
Collins - 6' 11"
Wembanyama - 7'3"

Kyrie - 6' 2"
DJJ - 6' 6"
Williams 6' 6"
Luka - 6' 7"
Lively - 7' 1"

Nah, I don't see any matchup issues here....

I heard they’re trying to turn Sochan into a point guard. Didn’t watch a single Spurs game last year so can’t speak to his skill set.
Like Reply
With the beginning of the season and Luka coming back from a small injury, I wonder if the Mavs would consider not letting him play a full quarter in the first and third? I know he prefers this but it may be smart to let him get smaller runs earlier in the season.
Like Reply
He was still listed as questionable an hour ago.
Like Reply
Dallas Mavericks Starters vs. San Antonio Spurs:

G Kyrie Irving
G Luka Doncic
F Derrick Jones Jr.
F Grant Williams
C Maxi Kleber
Like Reply
Man we’re weird.
Like Reply
I can understand it. The 3 best defenders with Luka and Kai. Green should still get starter minutes and Lively will get plenty also is my guess.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Smitty's post:
  • MFFL
Like Reply
I'm out
See you guys when Kidd is fired
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jym's post:
  • SwisherPrice
Like Reply
What's the record for most threes taken in a game? Against Wemby, I feel like the Mavs might try to challenge that record tonight  Undecided
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/coopmavs/status/1717346644956455399
Mavs starters: Jones, Williams, Kleber, Irving, Doncic
SA starters: Johnson Wembanyama, Collins, Vassell, Sochan
8:43 tip @971TheFreak
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
Kleber, huh? Starting at the 5, after all.
Like Reply
spurs are a good team now with wemby. tough match and mavs will win it IMHO.
Like Reply
Luka step back 3 to open the season!

And then Luka with the defense!
Like Reply