Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Preseason Game 4: DET vs. DAL
[Image: F82JG1kXEAAHPFd?format=jpg&name=large]
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
The ball is really popping with Luka out.
Need more of that.
[-] The following 1 user Likes HoosierDaddyKid's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
The Lively and Green show so far.

LOVED that mid range make from Green for the team’s first basket.  Corner 3’s are great, but that moving mid-ranger showed confidence in that part of his game.

Lively has a monstrous catch radius.  Loved the push shot when he was too far from the basket to dunk it.  There was a conversation about whether he could score as much as other successful rookie centers.  I think double figures is within his reach.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
Yep, good game for Lively. Really good game For Green.
Like Reply
Fun game. Note that Detroit played last night though.

Pace was fun. Loved Josh being aggressive and Lively was good. Defense still appears to have some holes. They have some work to do. Rebounding is going to be a problem. they will need Luka to really help out there. Lively needs to be better attacking the ball off the defensive glass.

Maxi looked more mobile tonight. Tim likes to shoot. Holmes looks either really rusty or he doesn’t have much left. Dwight is much better off the bench…if Lively can hold down the starters minutes. Tough choice how they manage the Seth and Exum minutes. Different strengths and weaknesses. Tough to give both good minutes. Omax is going to need some time. Game is moving fast for him. He shot poorly in preseason. Form looks pretty good and he had several shots rim out. It wouldn’t surprise me if he got minutes as the season goes on though.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(10-20-2023, 07:42 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: The ball is really popping with Luka out.
Need more of that.

I noticed this, too. Let’s hope Luka noticed. Different game when everyone touches it.
Like Reply
Seems like the plan (at least plan A) is Lively and Powell at center with Kleber playing WITH Powell at the 4. Not what I’d do, as I’ve said many times, but it looked pretty good tonight.

Lots of comments about Lively’s game, which was obviously good, but I thought Powell low key played a really nice game, defensively. This will induce eyerolls, but I think Powell is literally the PERFECT guy to come off the bench behind Lively. He can play more or less as needed, depending on where Lively is on the rookie rollercoaster.

Hardaway looked good at times, showing more than the two dribble contested 3 (though he still managed to attempt too many of those). I’m hopeful he can be a plus in the 6th man role.

Green was OUTSTANDING.
[-] The following 4 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • ballsrchr, Mapka, MarkAguirreWrathofGod, surfpuckmd
Like Reply
Imagine it is the week of the TDL.  Our starters are Luka, Kyrie, Green, GWill and Lively.  We decide to spend some draft capital to upgrade one of those guys.  Are we sure Green or Lively are the weakest links?  Are their positions really the spot we need to spend assets?

I think I'd spend assets to move Williams to the bench if I were spending assets.  Lively is going to be really good some day.  His offense is going to be more that we were led to believe.  He and Powell will be fine as early as next season.  I'm not doing anything with Green.  I'm excited to someday see the 25 or 26 year old version of him.  GWill doesn't have near the upside of Green.  Real contention comes when we have someone who clearly pushes him to the bench.
[-] The following 5 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • Ghost of Podkolzin, MarkAguirreWrathofGod, MFFL, surfpuckmd, The Jom
Like Reply
This was an encouraging win.  

Josh Green looked great.  He looks like the 3rd-best player on the roster.  If his extension isn't for more than the Grant Williams contract then his agent is really bad at his job.

Lively is ahead of schedule.  He still needs to rebound better but he is more of a threat on offense than I anticipated.  He has really good hands on offense.  The reverse dunks in traffic were awesome to watch.  On defense, he altered 3 or 4 shots at the rim in addition to a block.   We should not spend assets on a starting center because Lively is decent enough now and will be a plus starter in a couple of years.  Nico nailed this one.  

DJJ had some nice moments and looks like a solid backup.

THJ looks really bad without either Luka or Kyrie on the floor with him.  I think he'll be fine playing off the ball though.  He obviously works well with Luka and should always be in the game when Kyrie is out.  

Grant Williams has been my biggest disappointment in preseason.  He looks extremely mediocre.  He's like the THJ of power forwards.  I think he's a good backup but a weak starter.   Maybe he'll improve with experience.
Like Reply
(10-20-2023, 10:31 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Imagine it is the week of the TDL.  Our starters are Luka, Kyrie, Green, GWill and Lively.  We decide to spend some draft capital to upgrade one of those guys.  Are we sure Green or Lively are the weakest links?  Are their positions really the spot we need to spend assets?

I think I'd spend assets to move Williams to the bench if I were spending assets.  Lively is going to be really good some day.  His offense is going to be more that we were led to believe.  He and Powell will be fine as early as next season.  I'm not doing anything with Green.  I'm excited to someday see the 25 or 26 year old version of him.  GWill doesn't have near the upside of Green.  Real contention comes when we have someone who clearly pushes him to the bench.

I was writing a surprisingly similar post while you wrote this.  We see this roster very similarly.  I absolutely agree that Grant Williams will be our weakest starter soon.  I really like our SF position with Josh Green backed up by THJ.  I think we'll see if Williams improves as a starter and if OMax has anything to offer this season.  I'm bullish on our future but I don't think this is our year to compete.  I think next year we can win 50 games under a better coach.
Like Reply
(10-20-2023, 10:31 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Imagine it is the week of the TDL.  Our starters are Luka, Kyrie, Green, GWill and Lively.  We decide to spend some draft capital to upgrade one of those guys.  Are we sure Green or Lively are the weakest links?  Are their positions really the spot we need to spend assets?

1,000% agree. Great post. And I like Grant Williams. But his upside is pretty much capped at where he’s at currently. We’ve all discussed OG ad nauseum. What other PF might be available that we have a shot at? If Jerami Grant gets moved what would he cost. 2027 1st unprotected plus…?
Like Reply
My hatred for Kidd will hit levels that I did not know possible if he fails to start Green and Lively day 1. There should be no question at this point.
Like Reply
(10-20-2023, 11:49 PM)Jym Wrote: My hatred for Kidd will hit levels that I did not know possible if he fails to start Green and Lively day 1. There should be no question at this point.

I think it’s clear that things are headed in that direction.
Like Reply
(10-20-2023, 11:54 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I think it’s clear that things are headed in that direction.

Hopefully so
I swear it seems like he's purposely throwing games at some points in the name of experimentation. The past 2 years the clear starting 5 would be there and he would not voluntarily play it
Like Reply
Josh Green is a good guard and a bad small forward, especially on a team without a real power forward. The Mavs need to pair Grant with a long, rangy SF. Josh will be good as a guard off the bench or as a hedge against injury. But, he probably has more value as a trade piece.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ThisIStheYear's post:
  • Moviemavguy
Like Reply
(10-20-2023, 11:49 PM)Jym Wrote: My hatred for Kidd will hit levels that I did not know possible if he fails to start Green and Lively day 1. There should be no question at this point.

I will die on almost any let's get Kidd fired hill, but starting DJJ does make some sense.  Team would be very small with Luka, Kyrie, Josh, Grant, and Lively.  

Biggest issue with Green is he plays better without Luka.  If they don't figure that out, then it might be best if he blossoms on another team.
Like Reply
(10-21-2023, 08:21 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: Josh Green is a good guard and a bad small forward, especially on a team without a real power forward. The Mavs need to pair Grant with a long, rangy SF.  Josh will be good as a guard off the bench or as a hedge against injury. But, he probably has more value as a trade piece.

It is something I have been thinking about as well.  It is a small lineup that will struggle on the boards.    

I just think Green is the best player currently.    Derrick Jones Jr is not a better rebounder I don't think.   He is also not as good with the open 3.    It was interesting they had Jones Jr guarding Cade though.  Don't mess around with Green.   Throw him out there.   Maybe he flourishes.    

What will be interesting is how they match the Non Luka and the Non Kyrie minutes up.   For instance, Luka Powell and Hardaway have good stats together.    Maybe they fill that out with Maxi and ?.   I will be interesting to see how the pieces fit together.
Like Reply
(10-20-2023, 09:43 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Lots of comments about Lively’s game, which was obviously good, but I thought Powell low key played a really nice game, defensively. This will induce eyerolls, but I think Powell is literally the PERFECT guy to come off the bench behind Lively. He can play more or less as needed, depending on where Lively is on the rookie rollercoaster.

The center minutes still worry me.   It is not Powell either.  As you mention, this should be a real good role for him in the regular season.  He plays hard all the time and doesn't make many mental mistakes.  That is what you want with a bench player.   He will be fine.   He will probably play better when the game gets looser too.

My concern is what happens if Lively goes through rough spots...they are probably coming.    Holmes hasn't impressed in his short runs.   Hopefully there is something there still.   My concern is Lively hits the rookie wall at game 40 and we are searching for options until Lively hopefully makes a breakthrough.  Maybe it is Grant Williams at small ball 5 with Maxi and Jones Jr.   That may be the answer if Holmes doesn't have it any longer.
Like Reply

Yeah that is a good point.   We will need one more 3/4.  I have always viewed it will be Green, Williams, Omax (hope he can play) and X.   Ideally that X is a taller wing....at least 6'8 but hopefully taller.    If you have four wings of good caliber you would hope you could play 3 of them together at times.   Such as Williams plays small ball 5.  X is your bigger wing and Josh/Omax is the other wing.   I think that would be the ideal pairing.   Who is that X though?
Like Reply
(10-21-2023, 08:46 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: The center minutes still worry me.   It is not Powell either.  As you mention, this should be a real good role for him in the regular season.  He plays hard all the time and doesn't make many mental mistakes.  That is what you want with a bench player.   He will be fine.   He will probably play better when the game gets looser too.

My concern is what happens if Lively goes through rough spots...they are probably coming.    Holmes hasn't impressed in his short runs.   Hopefully there is something there still.   My concern is Lively hits the rookie wall at game 40 and we are searching for options until Lively hopefully makes a breakthrough.  Maybe it is Grant Williams at small ball 5 with Maxi and Jones Jr.   That may be the answer if Holmes doesn't have it any longer.

Lively is going to blossom and get better as the year goes on. He works hard and loves the game. You just can’t know about a player’s dedication and ability to improve until you have them in the bldg for a time, but Lively has it. The Mavs made the right pick. It’s not as good as it will be, but the center rotation will be better than last year, barring injury. I just wish for a quality small forward with skill and power forward length — what we hope OMax can be and how he’s built.  But unlike Lively, OMax just doesn’t look skilled enough yet to play his position (and admittedly it’s a position that demands much higher skill). He needs to significantly improve his shooting, footwork, and handles. That position is my worry.  They have several guys with an attribute that would allow them to get by at the 3 for a short time in the right matchup, but no one with all of what is needed to succeed.
Like Reply