Thread Rating:
  • 16 Vote(s) - 3.63 Average
MAVS NEWS: Luka Is Hurt, But is Trudging On | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT
(05-14-2024, 06:26 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Always love these type of games. I'm of course biased. Went with:

Luka ($7)
Kyrie ($3)
Caruso ($1)
Isaac ($1)
Wemby ($3)

In a world where injuries can't happen, I think this is a formidable team. Also was tempted to replace Kyrie and go with White and OG instead. But chemistry matters on my superteam!

I go with:

Wembly (3)
Luka (7)
OG (2)
Mikal (2)
Caruso (1)
Like Reply
(05-14-2024, 06:26 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Always love these type of games. I'm of course biased. Went with:

Luka ($7)
Kyrie ($3)
Caruso ($1)
Isaac ($1)
Wemby ($3)

In a world where injuries can't happen, I think this is a formidable team. Also was tempted to replace Kyrie and go with White and OG instead. But chemistry matters on my superteam!

Fox (2), Bridges (2), Anunoby (2), JJJ (2), Jokic (7)

or

Fox (2), White (2), Bridges (2), Anunoby (2), Jokic (7)
Like Reply
https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5490499...ree-agent/

DJJ has come full circle.
Like Reply
On Luka's knee injury, aside from hearing coaches say he's fine or a gamer and being listed as probable or questionable, has anyone heard any mention anywhere of any potential long-term issues by his playing on the knee for 40+mins a game?

I've not heard anything about this, and that's my concern. I don't want him and the Mavs to push to the point where he does some permanent damage.
Like Reply
(05-15-2024, 01:30 PM)LifeAquatic Wrote: On Luka's knee injury, aside from hearing coaches say he's fine or a gamer and being listed as probable or questionable, has anyone heard any mention anywhere of any potential long-term issues by his playing on the knee for 40+mins a game?

I've not heard anything about this, and that's my concern. I don't want him and the Mavs to push to the point where he does some permanent damage.

We obviously don’t know, but you have to assume they wouldn’t be that stupid.
Like Reply
(05-15-2024, 02:18 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: We obviously don’t know, but you have to assume they wouldn’t be that stupid.

I'm not going to assume that, but I'm going to assume with complete confidence that it's a moot point in the most absolute sense of the word, because Luka wasn't ever not going to play in these games if he could walk, long term effects be damned and we're done here.
Like Reply
(05-15-2024, 01:30 PM)LifeAquatic Wrote: On Luka's knee injury, aside from hearing coaches say he's fine or a gamer and being listed as probable or questionable, has anyone heard any mention anywhere of any potential long-term issues by his playing on the knee for 40+mins a game?

I trust the Mavs not to push him harder than he wants. But it's out of their hands. If Luka can walk, he plays in these games, and trying to stop him is likely the only way left that the FO could damage their relationship with him. If there's permanent damage 1) it will be Luka's fault, and 2) there was never, ever, any way to prevent it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scott41theMavs's post:
  • LifeAquatic
Like Reply
(05-15-2024, 02:33 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: I'm not going to assume that, but I'm going to assume with complete confidence that it's a moot point in the most absolute sense of the word, because Luka wasn't ever not going to play in these games if he could walk, long term effects be damned and we're done here.

Well, yeah. There is that.

I’m just saying that Jason Kidd started his tenure here by promising Brunson “let’s get you paid.” To me, that doesn’t sound like the beginning of a culture looking to put injured players on the floor.

But yeah, for all we know they are begging Luka to sit and he’s giving them the finger. I kind of doubt it, though. I think he has hit the sweet spot of injuries where he is good to go, but not 100%. I don’t mean to trivialize it, but I’m sure he’s not the only player currently battling something fairly significant, health-wise.
Like Reply
I was just asking if anyone had heard any news on that front from anywhere. I agree that Luka's attitude is to play, and so from a reality standpoint that's end of discussion, its moot. 

But, I do not assume that a team isn't stupid enough to risk a player's health. I just hope Kidd or someone is looking out for his interests as much as Nellie did Dirk back in the day.

https://clutchpoints.com/mavs-news-dirk-...don-nelson
[-] The following 1 user Likes LifeAquatic's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(05-15-2024, 03:13 PM)LifeAquatic Wrote: I was just asking if anyone had heard any news on that front from anywhere. I agree that Luka's attitude is to play, and so from a reality standpoint that's end of discussion, its moot. 

But, I do not assume that a team isn't stupid enough to risk a player's health. I just hope Kidd or someone is looking out for his interests as much as Nellie did Dirk back in the day.

https://clutchpoints.com/mavs-news-dirk-...don-nelson

Yes, this was the exact situation I was thinking of. My thinking is that Kidd is even MORE protective of his players than Nellie was, based on that Brunson nugget and a few other things he has said over the past few years, but it's all just speculation on my part. 

I'd also like to think that Cuban has learned enough since back then to have a more realistic view of his team's chances to win the title and a star player's injury within that context, but that, too, is speculation.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • LifeAquatic, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
I suspect Kidd would really like to have a consistent rotation player who is unafraid of shooting in a playoff environment.

Josh Green is not that guy, and no amount of saying "he's really getting it" will make it so. I think Kidd would like to find the player Hardaway used to be, but that player is no longer available. Fortunately, there's a cumulative aspect to our bench that makes it good enough in aggregate. Josh is good enough in other aspects of the game to be really useful. I do wish the rotation players had better defined roles and were a little more predictable, but I can settle for what it is for now since they play pretty well together. With Kleber out, the biggest player in the rotation in my mind is Lively. He's the one player in the rotation that really effects the game. He once again had the best +/- at +22. No one else was close to that. Lively truly is a pleasant surprise. He may be the only rotation player who seems to be playing "up" in the playoffs. What a great future he has.
[-] The following 3 users Like Winter's post:
  • BigDirk41, From Dirk to Luka, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
In other news and considering that Exum/Green are a hot topic right now. Australia named the camp roster for the Olympics. 17 players including Exum and Green. Only 12 make the final roster.

Xavier Cooks
Jock Landale
Dyson Daniels
Will Magnay
Matthew Dellavedova
Jack McVeigh
Danté Exum
Patty Mills
Josh Giddey
Duop Reath
Chris Goulding
Matisse Thybulle
Josh Green
Dejan Vasiljevic
Joe Ingles
Jack White
Nick Kay

No clue about the guys that aren't playing in the NBA (have no NBA history) but with Giddey and Daniels playing bigger roles on their teams and FIBA rules turning Mills into one of the best players in the world Exum and Green will have to fight for their spot.
Like Reply
(05-15-2024, 08:17 AM)HoosierDaddyKidd Wrote: https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5490499...ree-agent/

DJJ has come full circle.

No Ragrets

So Kidd had a pivotal role in getting him to sign to Dallas. Kidd's relationship with players more than his Xs and Os will most likely keep him as Dallas coach for a while...Mavs just need to surround him with better Xs and Os guys and let Kidd manage players and egos
[-] The following 1 user Likes BolsDamols's post:
  • rocky164
Like Reply
(05-16-2024, 07:42 PM)BolsDamols Wrote: No Ragrets

So Kidd had a pivotal role in getting him to sign to Dallas. Kidd's relationship with players more than his Xs and Os will most likely keep him as Dallas coach for a while...Mavs just need to surround him with better Xs and Os guys and let Kidd manage players and egos

The only problem with this mindset is that one of the bigger egos in Dallas that needs managing is his own. There is a pretty long history of Kidd not allowing high profile assistants around his teams. He has never quite had a situation happen as bad as the Adrian Griffen/Terry Stotts fiasco, but he has not always found ways to incorporate talented people into his workflow.

Still, people can change, and people can improve. He obviously has job security here, so maybe that will go some ways towards leveling out insecurity that he has shown in the past.

There are some things that I still don’t love about Jason Kidd as a head coach, but I have reluctantly come around on a lot of his game. This team plays hard and unselfishly, and that is a large part of the battle.
[-] The following 4 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • michaeltex, mvossman, Reunion Mav, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
https://x.com/sixfivelando/status/179154...18492?s=46&t=Ofn9ihgBPdBFQJpnkEDS0A

come on...you don't need to do THJ like that Smile

https://x.com/noahweber00/status/1791536773186617692
Like Reply
Tim Grgurich at Mavs practice. There was a video of him at a Mavericks practice earlier this year. He was a Mavs assistant in the past. I believe he is close to Kidd. Does he have an official role with the team?

https://x.com/townbrad/status/1791526023021895827
Like Reply
(05-16-2024, 07:42 PM)BolsDamols Wrote: No Ragrets

Ya, who was the former Mavs assistant who quit from MIL prior to the season even started?
Like Reply
(8 hours ago)Ghost of Podkolzin Wrote: Ya, who was the former Mavs assistant who quit from MIL prior to the season even started?

That would be Terry Stotts. I believe he was RC's assistant on the title team in 2011.
[-] The following 1 user Likes HoosierDaddyKid's post:
  • Ghost of Podkolzin
Like Reply
(8 hours ago)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: That would be Terry Stotts. I believe he was RC's assistant on the title team in 2011.

Exactly.  He would be great on the Mavs' bench.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ghost of Podkolzin's post:
  • rocky164
Like Reply