Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PRESEASON GAME 2: MIN vs. DAL| 11am CT
Just never feels like Kidd has them ready to play. Not ready for the moment. Maybe it's just because the Wolves already have better chemistry and didn't have a big roster overhaul in the summer but the contrast couldn't be any bigger.
[-] The following 2 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • ItsGoTime, SwisherPrice
Like Reply
Holmes tried to do too much.
Like Reply
Hardy as the primary ballhandler is painful to watch. I get that they want him to get as many reps as possible but they cannot force him into a role. He looks so much better when he can attack of the catch.
[-] The following 2 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • ItsGoTime, RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
Naz Reid dominating.

Hardy plays like he’s Allen Iverson. Dribble dribble dribble dribble chuck.
[-] The following 1 user Likes RoyTarpleysGhost's post:
  • HoosierDaddyKid
Like Reply
Exum looking like the backup point
Like Reply
Hardy never misses an opportunity to dump the ball on a teammate with 2-3s left on the clock.
Like Reply
Really rough game for Hardy. Poor shooting and really poor decision making
Like Reply
(10-07-2023, 01:03 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Really rough game for Hardy.  Poor shooting and really poor decision making

He is way ahead of the curve when it comes to the development of skills like shooting or foul drawing but at the same time not even close to being ready for NBA minutes when it comes to fundamentals/intangibles. Decision making, positioning, awareness, playing within a scheme.
Like Reply
OMax's 3s are all short when he isn't shooting from the corners.
Like Reply
(10-07-2023, 01:18 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: OMax's 3s are all short when he isn't shooting from the corners.

Gotta think Green's starting spot is safe
Like Reply
Hardy mostly looks good when looking for his own shot. He mostly (if not always) looks bad when he looks to involve his teammates.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ItsGoTime's post:
  • RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
Another worrisome performance (only first half counts). Lively had a much better game today (still far from being a positive contributor on a contender) and was the only one that stood out for me in a positive way compared to game 1. Hardy had a much worse one, Holmes with a really bad stretch. Same as first game, GW took 7 threes and nothing else.
Like Reply
Lively looks like he can at least be in the rotation this season as a high-energy big man for some minutes. Definitely will take a few years to get stronger but Minnesota might be one of the most difficult matchups for a 19 year old rookie center. Not a lot of teams will have a KAT/Gobert/Reid group of big men
[-] The following 5 users Like SwisherPrice's post:
  • DallasMaverick, Ghost of Podkolzin, HIMAV, mvossman, omahen
Like Reply
Exactly what I wanted to see with Lively. Did a lot of things that may not show up in the box score. There is no doubt the more physical players are going to bully him down low. But if that is his biggest issue early, I can certainly live with that.

In the battle for playing time, I thought Holmes struggled. We will see if he gets more chances with rotation players prior to the start of season. Hardy was not good and Hardaway was not great either. I would assume Hardaway gets those minutes early unless Jaden forces it with his play. It may take some time for that to happen. I thought Exum looked good. Seemed really hesitant with his shot though. I would also like to see more shots for Green as well.
Like Reply
(10-07-2023, 01:37 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Exactly what I wanted to see with Lively.  Did a lot of things that may not show up in the box score.  There is no doubt the more physical players are going to bully him down low.  But if that is his biggest issue early, I can certainly live with that. 

In the battle for playing time, I thought Holmes struggled.  We will see if he gets more chances with rotation players prior to the start of season.  Hardy was not good and Hardaway was not great either.    I would assume Hardaway gets those minutes early unless Jaden forces it with his play.  It may take some time for that to happen.  I thought Exum looked good.  Seemed really hesitant with his shot though.  I would also like to see more shots for Green as well.

Even with the fouls in the last game, he did not look like a 19 year old rookie 
Just a couple obvious mistakes.
Like Reply
My positive thoughts on this game-

Derrick Lively continues to show a lot of potential.  It's so unique on this roster to have someone who routinely changes shots at the rim.  It's fun to watch a shot-blocker on the Mavs.  He's probably already our best rebounder.  He moves pretty well on offense although the results on that side haven't been very good thus far.  He's still raw and I think it would be a mistake to start him at the beginning of the regular season.  However, I think Kidd can gradually work him into the rotation as the season goes on.  I also think he's good enough that we shouldn't trade assets for a starting center (e.g. Capela).  I think Lively will be our starter by at least 2025.  He might be ready next season.  That's looking like a great draft pick..

Josh Green looked competent in the starting lineup.  I think the OMax vs Green debate should be over.  Josh is clearly better on both sides.  Let's let OMax spend some time in the G-league and gain experience against other professionals.

THJ looked pretty good.  In fact, all the maligned veterans seemed to look competent.  We had our best stretches when Powell, THJ and Green played.  I think there's clearly a spot in the rotation for each.

Hardy made a lot of mistakes but continues to show flashes of being special.  They're using him as the primary offensive option when he's in the game during preseason.  I don't think Kidd will do that during the regular season.  He'll look good again playing off-ball.

Dante Exum looks solid.  It will be nice to have him out there instead of McKinley Wright when Luka or Kyrie miss games.  

It's good to know that we have a player capable of tackling KAT.  I thought it was an unnecessarily play by Grant Williams but it's good to know Grant's out there in case somebody tackles Luka.  I wouldn't want Grant Williams tackling me.

The Timberwolves are a really good team.  That roster is pretty loaded and I think they're well-coached.  Not many teams have a top-3 as strong as Anthony Edwards, KAT and Gobert.  Mike Conley is a perfect point guard for that roster.  Jaden McDaniels is rising star.  They have a number of really good role players like Kyle Anderson and Naz Reid.  I think that can be a top-3 team in the West.  I think their roster may be better than the Warriors and the Lakers.  

The West really is loaded this season.
[-] The following 2 users Like surfpuckmd's post:
  • ballsrchr, Ghost of Podkolzin
Like Reply
(10-07-2023, 02:42 PM)surfpuckmd Wrote: My positive thoughts on this game-

Derrick Lively continues to show a lot of potential.  It's so unique on this roster to have someone who routinely changes shots at the rim.  It's fun to watch a shot-blocker on the Mavs.  He's probably already our best rebounder.  He moves pretty well on offense although the results on that side haven't been very good thus far.  He's still raw and I think it would be a mistake to start him at the beginning of the regular season.  However, I think Kidd can gradually work him into the rotation as the season goes on.  I also think he's good enough that we shouldn't trade assets for a starting center (e.g. Capela).  I think Lively will be our starter by at least 2025.  He might be ready next season.  That's looking like a great draft pick..

Josh Green looked competent in the starting lineup.  I think the OMax vs Green debate should be over.  Josh is clearly better on both sides.  Let's let OMax spend some time in the G-league and gain experience against other professionals.

THJ looked pretty good.  In fact, all the maligned veterans seemed to look competent.  We had our best stretches when Powell, THJ and Green played.  I think there's clearly a spot in the rotation for each.

Hardy made a lot of mistakes but continues to show flashes of being special.  They're using him as the primary offensive option when he's in the game during preseason.  I don't think Kidd will do that during the regular season.  He'll look good again playing off-ball.

Dante Exum looks solid.  It will be nice to have him out there instead of McKinley Wright when Luka or Kyrie miss games.  

It's good to know that we have a player capable of tackling KAT.  I thought it was an unnecessarily play by Grant Williams but it's good to know Grant's out there in case somebody tackles Luka.  I wouldn't want Grant Williams tackling me.

The Timberwolves are a really good team.  That roster is pretty loaded and I think they're well-coached.  Not many teams have a top-3 as strong as Anthony Edwards, KAT and Gobert.  Mike Conley is a perfect point guard for that roster.  Jaden McDaniels is rising star.  They have a number of really good role players like Kyle Anderson and Naz Reid.  I think that can be a top-3 team in the West.  I think their roster may be better than the Warriors and the Lakers.  

The West really is loaded this season.

I was skimming through the end and was so confused at the "well-coached" statement then realized you were talking about the Timberwolves
[-] The following 2 users Like Jym's post:
  • Ghost of Podkolzin, sterlingmallory
Like Reply
Still confused as to what the plan is with Grant Williams on offense.stationed him in the corner the opening couple possessions then it was all above the break again, basically where we would use Hardaway in the flare action. Quite odd.

The only place OMax should be trying to dribble is in Frisco. All I want is corner threes from him for a while.
Like Reply
Minnesota has a nice roster. Their big ? is what happens in the playoff when Rudy isn't the same level of player as in the regular season and KAT who has not produced well in important games. But looking at their roster to Dallas, you can make the case they have 5 of the top 7 players between the two teams. Williams and Conley being pretty close. I would rate Williams higher but both are best in support roles. Now talent isn't everything especially when you have the best player. The connection with the rest of the players is also important and one reason why we overachieved in our WCF run.

Hopefully we see Green start and get close to 30 minutes (maybe start play 6, come back in the second and play 8 minutes to begin the second quarter...etc). I just get the spidey sense the Mavs see the SF position is one they want to upgrade and view Green as a heavy minute bench player. The beginning of the season will be big for him to see if he can change that view. Maybe I am off, but it just seems like the position mavs use the remaining assets to improve.

Expect rough moments for Lively this year, but he looks exactly what we will need longterm. My question is if he struggles for stretches and needs sit for awhile during the long season, do we have an adequate group to fill in? Holmes did not look good yesterday. It was only a small run, but really need him to be a productive player.
Like Reply
Do we have our lottery pick next year?
Like Reply