Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TRADE: Holiday to BOS| Rob Willams+Brogdon+2 FRP to POR
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/3853...de-blazers

They gave up a lot for him to me.
Like Reply
East arms race in full extent. I also wonder if Boston is actually better after this trade, as they only have Horford and KP in their frontcourt after losing GW and trading Williams. Can they even play together? Boston starting five will be awesome, but their bench is thin.

I wonder what Philly does after this. Their star might become unhappy after what seems it will be another unsuccessful season.

Also to note. That final piece costs a lot. The hope that final piece puts you over the top is worth way more than what one may think is a market value of a certain player. Have that in mind when discussing Mavs trades. Either you pay the price or always come out empty handed. The magic is imho not so much in "winning" the trades than to identify the correct pieces.
[-] The following 2 users Like omahen's post:
  • MFFL, RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
https://x.com/wojespn/status/1708516046800359499?s=20

Adrian Wojnarowski (@wojespn)
That's the current tally on Lillard trade, anyway: Portland plans to keep Robert Williams to pair with Deandre Ayton, sources say, but there has certainly been interest in veteran Malcolm Brogdon and expect teams will be calling on him. Blazers are committed to young guards.

Surprised the Blazers will try and keep Williams. I think he's a TDL candidate to be moved for sure.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(10-01-2023, 12:04 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: https://x.com/wojespn/status/1708516046800359499?s=20

Adrian Wojnarowski (@wojespn)
That's the current tally on Lillard trade, anyway: Portland plans to keep Robert Williams to pair with Deandre Ayton, sources say, but there has certainly been interest in veteran Malcolm Brogdon and expect teams will be calling on him. Blazers are committed to young guards.

Surprised the Blazers will try and keep Williams. I think he's a TDL candidate to be moved for sure.

Just like Woj says, I think they'll keep him. What other backup do they have? Nobody. Brogdon is their trade chip.
[-] The following 1 user Likes HoosierDaddyKid's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan
Like Reply
(10-01-2023, 12:45 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: Just like Woj says, I think they'll keep him. What other backup do they have? Nobody. Brogdon is their trade chip.

Yeah, it sounds like they are keeping him.   For how long is a different conversation.  I would be surprised if he is on the team by the start of next season.   No need for a rebuilding team to have two centers on long term deals imo.   But we will see.

Yeah, I think Brogdan is moved.  The question is where?   Maybe the Clippers look back at that deal.  I wouldn't expect a very strong asset back though.   

Question, Boston and Milwaukee are both all in for win now.  Boston is a better positioned for a longer run imo due to their youth of their stars, but we will see.  A few injuries and that could change.   Who is the next up and coming East team?  Is it Orlando?   Anyone else?  It feels like there is a giant opening for that next "up next" team in the East.
Like Reply
(10-01-2023, 01:11 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Yeah, it sounds like they are keeping him.   For how long is a different conversation.  I would be surprised if he is on the team by the start of next season.   No need for a rebuilding team to have two centers on long term deals imo.   But we will see.

Yeah, I think Brogdan is moved.  The question is where?   Maybe the Clippers look back at that deal.  I wouldn't expect a very strong asset back though.   

Question, Boston and Milwaukee are both all in for win now.  Boston is a better positioned for a longer run imo due to their youth of their stars, but we will see.  A few injuries and that could change.   Who is the next up and coming East team?  Is it Orlando?   Anyone else?  It feels like there is a giant opening for that next "up next" team in the East.

Orlando could be that team. They've got athletic bigs and good depth. I expect Detroit and Indiana to take the next step as well. But you still can't forget about Cleveland, Brooklyn, NY, or maybe Charlotte can surprise . There always is a surprise team that has improved each year.
Like Reply
(10-01-2023, 01:44 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: Orlando could be that team. They've got athletic bigs and good depth. I expect Detroit and Indiana to take the next step as well. But you still can't forget about Cleveland, Brooklyn, NY, or maybe Charlotte can surprise . There always is a surprise team that has improved each year.

Good point.  I forgot about Cleveland.  Yeah that is a team that should be able to fill the gap, but they have a lot of questions from their playoff series last year.  Indy is another good name.  NY Knicks and Brooklyn could be those teams too with another move.
Like Reply
Surprised that the Knicks haven't made something of an all-in move
Maybe waiting for the Embiid sweepstakes
Like Reply
I have not come to the conclusion if I like the Boston Jrue deal yet, but I believe I will end up thinking that it was a good gamble. They gave up a GS first round pick and one of their own first round picks, so they still have future firsts and a ton of seconds to offer. Losing Williams and Brogdan really hurts their depth, but it appears both Boston and Brogdan were done with each other. Williams has always been a X factor for Boston. He just can't stay healthy though. Boston probably thought they would not be able to play two of Horford, KP and Williams together often. So they traded an important part for another important part.

The Boston starting 5 looks really good. After that Horford and Pritchard will be fine. Horford probably needs to watch his minutes in the regular season and Pritchard will be fine in the regular season (Playoffs TBD). After that, the depth is really questionable. Boston is a smart franchise though (another reason to feel good that they had targeted OMAX before Dallas made the trade). I actually like a lot of the fringe moves Boston has made though. We will see if any of them can be important playoff type role players though.

Looking at their roster, PF looks like an issue to me. Brissett maybe fills that. I am not very familiar with his game. Right now it appears Tatum is going to get a lot of PF minutes. Looking back, Grant Williams would be perfect to fill the hole they have a 6th man to eat up a lot of those minutes.
Like Reply
(10-02-2023, 09:51 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I have not come to the conclusion if I like the Boston Jrue deal yet, but I believe I will end up thinking that it was a good gamble.  They gave up a GS first round pick and one of their own first round picks, so they still have future firsts and a ton of seconds to offer.  Losing Williams and Brogdan really hurts their depth, but it appears both Boston and Brogdan were done with each other.  Williams has always been a X factor for Boston.  He just can't stay healthy though.  Boston probably thought they would not be able to play two of Horford, KP and Williams together often.  So they traded an important part for another important part.

The Boston starting 5 looks really good.  After that Horford and Pritchard will be fine.  Horford probably needs to watch his minutes in the regular season and Pritchard will be fine in the regular season (Playoffs TBD).  After that, the depth is really questionable.  Boston is a smart franchise though (another reason to feel good that they had targeted OMAX before Dallas made the trade).  I actually like a lot of the fringe moves Boston has made though.  We will see if any of them can be important playoff type role players though. 

Looking at their roster, PF looks like an issue to me.  Brissett maybe fills that.  I am not very familiar with his game.  Right now it appears Tatum is going to get a lot of PF minutes.  Looking back, Grant Williams would be perfect to fill the hole they have a 6th man to eat up a lot of those minutes.
For Boston, it’s the type of trade that I always look for. Trading 2 good role players for 1 star, except with the assets the Mavs have had, I’ve been looking for 2 mediocre role players for 1 good role player. Next year Bos can build out their bench. The most important part is done.
Like Reply
(10-02-2023, 12:48 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: For Boston, it’s the type of trade that I always look for. Trading 2 good role players for 1 star, except with the assets the Mavs have had, I’ve been looking for 2 mediocre role players for 1 good role player. Next year Bos can build out their bench. The most important part is done.

Theoretically, that possibility will be there next summer.  THJ and Holmes are expiring and we will have the picks to add.  The thing that is probably missing from our offer is the swing-value of Williams.  He might dramatically increase his value by the trade deadline with a few good months of health and performance.  Or, he could get hurt again and have very little value.  Holmes probably can’t tank his value much further, but he could certainly remind teams that he can be an excellent center off the bench.
[-] The following 2 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • ItsGoTime, mvossman
Like Reply
(10-02-2023, 09:51 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I have not come to the conclusion if I like the Boston Jrue deal yet, but I believe I will end up thinking that it was a good gamble.  They gave up a GS first round pick and one of their own first round picks, so they still have future firsts and a ton of seconds to offer.  Losing Williams and Brogdan really hurts their depth, but it appears both Boston and Brogdan were done with each other.  Williams has always been a X factor for Boston.  He just can't stay healthy though.  Boston probably thought they would not be able to play two of Horford, KP and Williams together often.  So they traded an important part for another important part.

The Boston starting 5 looks really good.  After that Horford and Pritchard will be fine.  Horford probably needs to watch his minutes in the regular season and Pritchard will be fine in the regular season (Playoffs TBD).  After that, the depth is really questionable.  Boston is a smart franchise though (another reason to feel good that they had targeted OMAX before Dallas made the trade).  I actually like a lot of the fringe moves Boston has made though.  We will see if any of them can be important playoff type role players though. 

Looking at their roster, PF looks like an issue to me.  Brissett maybe fills that.  I am not very familiar with his game.  Right now it appears Tatum is going to get a lot of PF minutes.  Looking back, Grant Williams would be perfect to fill the hole they have a 6th man to eat up a lot of those minutes.

I have not been a fan of Boston's moves up to this point, but this move helps to make up for some of it.  They traded for an injury prone big man, so it makes sense they send out their two most injury prone players.  They also lost a lot of defense with Smart and Williams, and Jrue will replace that while adding additional offense.  I still think they took a big risk with KP.  Not only is there a danger of him being disgruntled with lack of offense going through him, but he is a huge injury risk and their only backup plan is 37.
Like Reply
(10-02-2023, 02:24 PM)mvossman Wrote: I have not been a fan of Boston's moves up to this point, but this move helps to make up for some of it.  They traded for an injury prone big man, so it makes sense they send out their two most injury prone players.  They also lost a lot of defense with Smart and Williams, and Jrue will replace that while adding additional offense.  I still think they took a big risk with KP.  Not only is there a danger of him being disgruntled with lack of offense going through him, but he is a huge injury risk and their only backup plan is 37.

Ditto.

Holiday is a great addition to a team so close. Unfortunately, adding Porzingis moved them from close to very, very, very far away, they just don’t know it yet.
Like Reply
(10-02-2023, 02:30 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Ditto.

Holiday is a great addition to a team so close. Unfortunately, adding Porzingis moved them from close to very, very, very far away, they just don’t know it yet.

I was just thinking about the KP move and how he's going to fit next to Brown, Tatum, and now Holiday. He had severe issues playing 2nd fiddle next to Luka for 20 mins a game, how is he going to fare being at best a 3rd option?

On paper that team is probably the scariest in the league imo. A balanced offensive powerhouse with amazing defense. 

And of course health is always going to be a topic whenever KP is involved, although it seems like Timelord also had that issue anyways.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
That was an overpay for a guy who consistently disappears on offense in the playoffs like Jrue Holiday, I'm not kidding, guy is seriously an offensive downgrade from Marcus Smart if you compare their playoff performances over the last few seasons. In theory at full health Boston's defense should be scary, though. But I say in theory because Milwaukee's defense had no business getting lit up by Miami the way they did but it happened anyway. Also, KP is their main rim protector if healthy (big if) and Jrue is a 6' 3" defensive guard who's pushing 34 years old come playoff time

Blazers did well here, can probably get even more assets for Brogdon. Their haul for Lillard looks a lot better than it initially did
[-] The following 1 user Likes MrGoat's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(10-04-2023, 07:23 PM)MrGoat Wrote: That was an overpay for a guy who consistently disappears on offense in the playoffs like Jrue Holiday, I'm not kidding, guy is seriously an offensive downgrade from Marcus Smart if you compare their playoff performances over the last few seasons. In theory at full health Boston's defense should be scary, though. But I say in theory because Milwaukee's defense had no business getting lit up by Miami the way they did but it happened anyway. Also, KP is their main rim protector if healthy (big if) and Jrue is a 6' 3" defensive guard who's pushing 34 years old come playoff time

Blazers did well here, can probably get even more assets for Brogdon. Their haul for Lillard looks a lot better than it initially did

Agree that the Blazers did well, and that the doing well is still likely ongoing. 

Agree that Holiday will disappear on you at times on offense in a way Smart won't. But, Smart being constantly noticeable on offense comes with a fair amount of bad noticeability, too.
Like Reply
blazers appear to be a good trade partner for us later in the season. Thybulle and ayton were our top targets and now both of them are on their roster. i guess the blazers will begin full tanking mode at a certain point (like they did last season) and shop their talents for picks. I'm not sure how much a package of ayton and Thybulle would cost though.
Like Reply
(10-25-2023, 06:33 PM)LukaMVP Wrote: blazers appear to be a good trade partner for us later in the season. Thybulle and ayton were our top targets and now both of them are on their roster. i guess the blazers will begin full tanking mode at a certain point (like they did last season) and shop their talents for picks. I'm not sure how much a package of ayton and Thybulle would cost though.

We can't trade for Thybulle until the next offseason because we offered him a deal that the Blazers matched this offseason.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan
Like Reply