Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Expectations for 23/24 season
(09-19-2023, 05:51 PM)Reunion Mav Wrote: say nothing about Kidd for say 30 games.

I'll give it 10 games or the first time he just gives it to Luka 1v5 for the last shot. Whichever comes first.
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
[-] The following 1 user Likes IamDougieFresh's post:
  • Reunion Mav
Like Reply
Jason Kidd when he doesn’t tell his point guard what to do is just being himself as a point guard. He trusted himself on the floor much more than the coach. He and Luka both have the ability to make that work. The two of them need to keep the trust but include Kyrie not just a step back 3
Like Reply
Yeah, Kidd is a huge question mark heading into this year. I was very leery of his hire, but thought he was great his first year. Very good communication, very calming presence on the bench but at times very animated on defensive possessions. I am still kicking myself for not seeing a second year dip. It is something I never factored in. Just by judging by his history, we should have. It seems like this organization did everything wrong last year. Front office, Coach, player evaluation, etc. I am really hoping it was just one of those years. I don't think I can deal with another season like last.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • Reunion Mav
Like Reply
My regular season expectation: 47 Wins.

Doncic (34)/Irving (14)
Irving (18)/Hardy (14)/Hardaway (8)/Green (8)
Green (18)/Hardaway (16)/Jones Jr. (12)/Prosper (2)
Williams (26)/Kleber (12)/Prosper (6)/Jones Jr. (4)
Powell (20)/Holmes (16)/Kleber (12)

Doncic - 34 - lead BH
Irving - 32 - lead BH/spotup
Williams - 26 - 3&D
Green - 26 - 3&D
Hardaway - 24 - spotup
Kleber - 24 - 3&D
Powell - 20 - PnR big
Holmes - 16 - PnR big
Jones Jr. - 16 - Cuts/spotup
Hardy - 14 - Spotup/lead BH
Prosper - 8 - Cuts/spotup

Lively/Curry/Exum in GT minutes.
We just paid a whole lot of money to a guy that went 9-29 (31%) on FG and 3-20 (15%) 3-pt% in both our win or go home elimination games last couple of playoffs. SMH 
Like Reply
(09-20-2023, 09:40 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Yeah, Kidd is a huge question mark heading into this year.  I was very leery of his hire, but thought he was great his first year.  Very good communication, very calming presence on the bench but at times very animated on defensive possessions.  I am still kicking myself for not seeing a second year dip.  It is something I never factored in.  Just by judging by his history, we should have.  It seems like this organization did everything wrong last year.  Front office, Coach, player evaluation, etc.  I am really hoping it was just one of those years.  I don't think I can deal with another season like last.

Go ahead. Let last year go. Get into this year like fans have always done. Precisely because everyone on the team suffered last year it is unlikely to happen again. We have seen plenty of evidence that learning from the suffering has happened. This summer has been good. Bring back hope to this team and good things happening this season becomes more likely. Learning hope and renewed effort go along way when we do have some serious talent.
Like Reply
(09-20-2023, 10:31 AM)HAguiar95 Wrote: My regular season expectation: 47 Wins.

Doncic (34)/Irving (14)

Doncic - 34 - lead BH
Williams - 26 - 3&D
Green - 26 - 3&D
Hardaway - 24 - spotup
Kleber - 24 - 3&D
Powell - 20 - PnR big
Holmes - 16 - PnR big

That is 11 plus 3 guys with legitimate contributions. That is way more than last year.
Like Reply
If it turns out Omax is a player, what do you think is his best position? With the blurring of positions that may not be as important question as it was in the past. But with Dallas, it may be a little more important. Dallas needs a defender to guard elite guard and they also need one to guard wings. OMAX just look pretty big. See picture...scroll to OMAx picture.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CxbLEi6rBBC/..._copy_link

A lot of players need to prove they deserve their roles, but a Grant Williams, Josh Green, Omax, + one more person, feels sort of intriguing to play the 3 and 4 minutes. The question is that one more person developed in house or is he the trade piece.
Like Reply
(09-20-2023, 02:46 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: If it turns out Omax is a player, what do you think is his best position?  With the blurring of positions that may not be as important question as it was in the past.  But with Dallas, it may be a little more important.  Dallas needs a defender to guard elite guard and they also need one to guard wings.    OMAX just look pretty big.  See picture...scroll to OMAx picture. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CxbLEi6rBBC/..._copy_link

A lot of players need to prove they deserve their roles, but a Grant Williams, Josh Green, Omax, + one more person, feels sort of intriguing to play the 3 and 4 minutes.    The question is that one more person developed in house or is he the trade piece.

In 2023, Omax is a 4. He'll be able to play some 3 in some situations while he's young, but his best position is/will be the 4.

That's how I see him, anyway.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • mvossman
Like Reply

Doncic (34)/Irving (14)

Doncic - 34 - lead BH
Williams - 26 - 3&D
Green - 26 - 3&D
Hardaway - 24 - spotup
Kleber - 24 - 3&D
Powell - 20 - PnR big
Holmes - 16 - PnR big

I think those last three guys will get more than GT minutes.  Its easy to see where Lively gets his (Maxi, Powell, Holmes and DJJ could have less minutes) but harder to fit in Curry and Exum.  This team is deep.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mvossman's post:
  • Reunion Mav
Like Reply
(09-20-2023, 11:32 AM)Reunion Mav Wrote: That is 11 plus 3 guys with legitimate contributions. That is way more than last year.

This is the optmistic view. One could say that besides Doncic and Irving, there's no one that you can trust with the ball.
We just paid a whole lot of money to a guy that went 9-29 (31%) on FG and 3-20 (15%) 3-pt% in both our win or go home elimination games last couple of playoffs. SMH 
Like Reply
Gimme 50
[-] The following 1 user Likes DallasMaverick's post:
  • Reunion Mav
Like Reply
(09-20-2023, 06:44 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: Gimme 50

ESPN says 44
Bleacher Report has them at 48
Current Vegas betting lines are 44.5 to 45.5
Like Reply
(09-21-2023, 12:09 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: ESPN says 44
Bleacher Report has them at 48
Current Vegas betting lines are 44.5 to 45.5

I’m headed to the Flamingo to take the over. That is where I won big in 2011. Give me 46 wins but as always I’m hoping for a top 4 seed. That will always remain my standard and this year that may only take 53 wins.
Like Reply
(09-21-2023, 08:55 PM)Reunion Mav Wrote: I’m headed to the Flamingo to take the over. That is where I won big in 2011. Give me 46 wins but as always I’m hoping for a top 4 seed. That will always remain my standard and this year that may only take 53 wins.

I wonder if records will be as flat as last year 
53 wins got the Nuggets the #1 seed and 45 wins was good for that 4th seed. Maybe even flatter with Houston and the Spurs being more competitive
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jym's post:
  • Reunion Mav
Like Reply
Well...drastically tempering my normally optimistic homer-ism...I'll say 46 wins.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ballsrchr's post:
  • Reunion Mav
Like Reply
I’ll go with 45 wins. That would be quite the leap from last year. 

Hopefully we’ll see good progress from Green, Lively, Omax and Hardy. If one starts and the other three can become regular rotation guys while being competitive the year would be a success in my book.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JamesConway912's post:
  • Reunion Mav
Like Reply
I think they will be around 40 wins, if team is as it is.
Like Reply
41 to 43.
Like Reply
(09-22-2023, 05:57 AM)omahen Wrote: I think they will be around 40 wins, if team is as it is.

U think they are lucky to make the playins?
Like Reply
(09-21-2023, 09:01 PM)Jym Wrote: I wonder if records will be as flat as last year 
53 wins got the Nuggets the #1 seed and 45 wins was good for that 4th seed. Maybe even flatter with Houston and the Spurs being more competitive

I had forgotten how low last year’s win numbers were. I still remember us and the Spurs getting to 60. Last year explains why this year’s over under is so low. Doesn’t mean it happens again. 

We will be better because Luka has and will hopefully effectively use more help. The one dimensional offense and the horrific hole on defense should both improve.
Like Reply