Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 6 Playoffs 2024: Oklahoma City Thunder (2-3) vs. Dallas Mavericks (3-2)
(05-19-2024, 09:55 AM)Luka77 Wrote: Both of these were with the refs looking right at the plays and swallowing their whistles.  Pathetic!

Looking forward to the L2M report. It won’t catch those mistakes, but will flag the incorrect out-of-bounds call. Wonder what else.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DallasMaverick's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(05-19-2024, 09:55 AM)Luka77 Wrote: Both of these were with the refs looking right at the plays and swallowing their whistles.  Pathetic!

Like I said the Thunder especially Dort knew Tony Brothers and his crew allow tremendous physical contact and teams know that. But we came right back and overcame. Our guys matched the physicality in more legal and less reckless ways and our efficient offense scored 117 in spite of the brutal difficulty. Kudos to us and the ultimate rebuke to Brothers.
Like Reply
I think I'd rather play Minnesota just because they aren't the defending champs. Playing in Denver is tougher because of the altitude. I think Minnesota is more likely to choke at the end of a tight game than Denver is. That being said, I can't wait for whoever we face.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BigDirk41's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
Why in the world is Dort allowed to play like a NFL linebacker? He has great footwork and quick hands so he would be a great defender regardless. Allowing him to body anyone he wants is just ridiculous. The treatment difference between SGA and Luka was sickening. I feel like Luka gets the Shaq treatment because he's huge for a guard. It's really unfair. Refs didn't decide this series, but they certainly impacted it greatly and could have easily decided it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BigDirk41's post:
  • Reunion Mav
Like Reply
(05-19-2024, 10:14 AM)BigDirk41 Wrote: Why in the world is Dort allowed to play like a NFL linebacker? He has great footwork and quick hands so he would be a great defender regardless. Allowing him to body anyone he wants is just ridiculous. The treatment difference between SGA and Luka was sickening. I feel like Luka gets the Shaq treatment because he's huge for a guard. It's really unfair. Refs didn't decide this series, but they certainly impacted it greatly and could have easily decided it.

Young players often get frustrated or rattled in response to officiating that isn’t what they expect.

More mature, experienced players understand and adapt their play to suit the style of the officiating. I see Luke trying hard to move from the first category to the second.
Like Reply
(05-19-2024, 10:25 AM)DallasMaverick Wrote: Young players often get frustrated or rattled in response to officiating that isn’t what they expect.

More mature, experienced players understand and adapt their play to suit the style of the officiating. I see Luke trying hard to move from the first category to the second.

I completely understand that part of it and I personally think Luka is whiny and annoying AF at times. None of that gives Dort the right to play 80s basketball during the softest times in NBA history. Luka letting officiating get to him is a different conversation. In today's NBA, you really can't touch anyone so it's completely weird to see someone bodying people every play down the court. Luka definitely needs to grow up, but the NBA needs to reign in Dort or allow everyone to play the same way.
Like Reply
Anthony Edwards is probably the best current wing defender I've seen when he decides to lock someone up. I couldn't imagine if they let him play like Dort. He would win DPOY every year going forward.
Like Reply
To those saying they'd rather play Denver, I retort:

Of course we could start with the Rudy T. line "Never underestimate the heart of a champion", but I think there's more to it than a bumper sticker slogan.

Teams that have done it before know what it takes. They understand the nuisances, as well as the overall gravity of the moment. Likewise, because they've done it before, they don't buy into the "We've never been here before so we have nothing to lose" bullshit that permeates a young locker room when they suddenly find themselves down. Young people, in general, cling to the "there's always next year", whereas older, experienced people and players (Kyrie, Luka who in the WCF two years earlier) know the stakes. To have gone from the WCF to the Lottery in one season, I think Luka understands that rosters (Brunson) aren't to be taken for granted and you can't assume tomorrow will be there.

So, even though we can pick apart Denver's lack of depth and injuries, I want no part of their pedigree.

And how many times, if the T'Wolves make it, will they hear that they haven't been in the WCF in a minute, and never in the Finals before they start to believe it.

Plus, I just like the sound of the Mavs vs the T'Wolves in the WCF because it just sounds so wrong
[-] The following 1 user Likes RasheedsBigWhiteSpot's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(05-19-2024, 11:36 AM)RasheedsBigWhiteSpot Wrote: Plus, I just like the sound of the Mavs vs the T'Wolves in the WCF because it just sounds so wrong

Boy, no kidding. I wonder what Las Vegas odds were on that WCF?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Winter's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(05-19-2024, 10:36 AM)BigDirk41 Wrote: Anthony Edwards is probably the best current wing defender I've seen when he decides to lock someone up. I couldn't imagine if they let him play like Dort. He would win DPOY every year going forward.

Well, he and McDaniels are both about to study what Dort did if they’re the next to play the Mavs, so get ready. 

If you felt like NBA opinion was against Luka when he was facing SGA, just wait until he is playing Edwards, the great American hope.
[-] The following 3 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • BigDirk41, dirkfansince1998, MarkAguirreWrathofGod
Like Reply
(05-19-2024, 11:53 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Well, he and McDaniels are both about to study what Dort did if they’re the next to play the Mavs, so get ready. 

If you felt like NBA opinion was against Luka when he was facing SGA, just wait until he is playing Edwards, the great American hope.

This is exactly why I want Denver. That, and Minny is legit stacked with length and defense.
Like Reply
(05-19-2024, 09:00 AM)Knutsen Wrote: So who are we rooting for tonight, guys? Pick your poison! 

I‘m going with Denver, at least as long as Murray still plays hobbled today. Reason is it wouldn’t be a shame losing against them - but it would be a great chance for Luka to establish himself as being on par with Jokic. And most importantly I think the teams are more different, with clear advantages like speed and rim presence and athleticism on our side. I fear that Minnesota has similar strengths than we do, but could be even more physical and tough nosed and win a streetfight against us which the Clippers and Thunder couldn’t.

If Minnesota plays defense like they did in game 2 and game 6, all bets are off.  They gave the Champs a 26 and 45 pt beatdown in both games.
Like Reply