Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dead part of offseason, what do you think is the worst/best trade in Mavs history
Eric Montross trade was a swap of 6th (Antoine Walker) and 9th (Samaki Walker) and a 1995 1st rd pick (Ron Mercer, also the 6th pick) and Dallas received Montross.
After the Rondo trade, I was against EVER trading with Boston again.
Like Reply
(08-01-2023, 11:35 AM)SkenfromLMF Wrote: Eric Montross trade was a swap of 6th (Antoine Walker) and 9th (Samaki Walker) and a 1995 1st rd pick (Ron Mercer, also the 6th pick) and Dallas received Montross.
After the Rondo trade, I was against EVER trading with Boston again.

That one is at least in part from us botching the drafting process and taking Samaki Walker at 9th. Taking Samaki Walker is part of thee reason why the pick we gave Boston the next year was so high, and while Mercer was an ok player he was no home run pick for Boston. We definitely got the short end of the stick, though. 

For people talking about the Odom trade that one was also bad because the protections we put on the pick we sent to LA didn't immediately trigger and actually hampered our ability to make moves to help Dirk out for multiple years
[-] The following 1 user Likes MrGoat's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
In 2002, Dallas dealt Tim Hardaway, Donnell Harvey, Juwan Howard, cash and a 2002 1st round draft pick to the Denver Nuggets for Tariq Abdul-Wahad, Avery Johnson, Raef LaFrentz and Nick Van Exel.

Not a bad trade, really.
Like Reply
(08-04-2023, 08:38 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: In 2002, Dallas dealt Tim Hardaway, Donnell Harvey, Juwan Howard, cash and a 2002 1st round draft pick to the Denver Nuggets for Tariq Abdul-Wahad, Avery Johnson, Raef LaFrentz and Nick Van Exel.

Not a bad trade, really.

Great trade, imo. This is the one I brought up earlier.

Funny thing: people in Dallas at the time thought the trade was about LaFrentz. While I’m sure Nelson’s Mavs were into the idea of a left handed shot blocker who could shoot 3’s, that trade was unquestionably about Van Exel. It’s amazing how much more savvy to how the league actually works the average NBA fan has become since then.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
So for a bit of self pride...

I proposed on a board a long time ago (say 20 years) and far far away a deal that would have sent LaFrentz to Dallas; NVE to Boston and Howard & Harvey to Denver.
Ron Haneberg (RIP) dissed the deal due to Dallas receiving the best player in the deal while shipping out complete dead weight. in salary (can't remember who I had coming back from Boston).
My counter was that Dallas could cut the Boston angle out and simply take both NVE and LaFrentz if that would be more realistic. By the time the trade went down LMF had switched servers and the thread/board was lost to the powers of the interwebs.

Almost as solid as my prediction that Dallas COULD kick the cap space in the summer of '19 and hold onto Harrison Barnes' Trade Exception into the season if they did not like (or if any FA did not like them) an available target in the Summer of Discontent as a way of extending the trade asset. What I did not presume was that Cuban would preserve the largest TE in NBA history and mount it on the wall as a trophy.

I hate it when I am right, because NVE is in my top 5 most uncomfortable to root for Mavs: Odom, Rondo, DAJ, NVE, Deron Williams
[-] The following 2 users Like SkenfromLMF's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(08-07-2023, 11:46 PM)SkenfromLMF Wrote: So for a bit of self pride...

I proposed on a board a long time ago (say 20 years) and far far away a deal that would have sent LaFrentz to Dallas; NVE to Boston and Howard & Harvey to Denver.
Ron Haneberg (RIP) dissed the deal due to Dallas receiving the best player in the deal while shipping out complete dead weight. in salary (can't remember who I had coming back from Boston).
My counter was that Dallas could cut the Boston angle out and simply take both NVE and LaFrentz if that would be more realistic. By the time the trade went down LMF had switched servers and the thread/board was lost to the powers of the interwebs.

Almost as solid as my prediction that Dallas COULD kick the cap space in the summer of '19 and hold onto Harrison Barnes' Trade Exception into the season if they did not like (or if any FA did not like them) an available target in the Summer of Discontent as a way of extending the trade asset. What I did not presume was that Cuban would preserve the largest TE in NBA history and mount it on the wall as a trophy.

I hate it when I am right, because NVE is in my top 5 most uncomfortable to root for Mavs: Odom, Rondo, DAJ, NVE, Deron Williams

Love the story, but what's your beef with Nick the quick?????
Like Reply
(08-08-2023, 10:06 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Love the story, but what's your beef with Nick the quick?????

I could only guess. Nick was a former Laker so maybe it's that.

He also had quite a bit of a reputation as a malcontent when we acquired him so some Mavs fans were biased against the move when it was made. He wasn't traded from either of his first two teams on particularly good terms. He worked out pretty well for us though. He was huge in getting us past the Kings only to have a real Finals shot ruined by Ginobli taking a cheap shot on Dirk that injured him in a WCF that was looking pretty good for us until that cheap shot. I still hold a deep resentment for the Spurs for that and will always minimize and talk bad about the overrated Duncan, Parker, and especially Vaginobli
Like Reply
(08-08-2023, 09:19 PM)MrGoat Wrote: I could only guess. Nick was a former Laker so maybe it's that.

He also had quite a bit of a reputation as a malcontent when we acquired him so some Mavs fans were biased against the move when it was made. He wasn't traded from either of his first two teams on particularly good terms. He worked out pretty well for us though. He was huge in getting us past the Kings only to have a real Finals shot ruined by Ginobli taking a cheap shot on Dirk that injured him in a WCF that was looking pretty good for us until that cheap shot. I still hold a deep resentment for the Spurs for that and will always minimize and talk bad about the overrated Duncan, Parker, and especially Vaginobli

Yeah, I remember him having a rep. It was nowhere near the rep someone like Irving has now though, unless I'm remembering poorly. 

And I agree - his stint here went super well. I can't remember the exact details of his departure, as in what him leaving allowed the team to get. In fact, I can't even remember if it was a trade or just a simple decision not to re-sign him. Either way, I remember being surprised the team moved on from him so quickly.
Like Reply
(08-08-2023, 09:35 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Yeah, I remember him having a rep. It was nowhere near the rep someone like Irving has now though, unless I'm remembering poorly. 

And I agree - his stint here went super well. I can't remember the exact details of his departure, as in what him leaving allowed the team to get. In fact, I can't even remember if it was a trade or just a simple decision not to re-sign him. Either way, I remember being surprised the team moved on from him so quickly.

From the Lakers I think he shoved a ref and got a long suspension once and later pissed off Shaq by making jokes about Cancun when it was clear they were about to get swept in a series. He had a pretty bad attitude there after being benched for Dereka Fisher

And I think he made a very public trade request on his next team that eventually landed him with us (that is not a new thing by any means)

I was surprised we didn't keep him though
Like Reply
(08-08-2023, 09:41 PM)MrGoat Wrote: From the Lakers I think he shoved a ref and got a long suspension once and later pissed off Shaq by making jokes about Cancun when it was clear they were about to get swept in a series. He had a pretty bad attitude there after being benched for Dereka Fisher

And I think he made a very public trade request on his next team that eventually landed him with us (that is not a new thing by any means)

I was surprised we didn't keep him though

Right. Kind of tame by today’s prima donna behavior standards though, right?
Like Reply
(08-08-2023, 11:40 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Right. Kind of tame by today’s prima donna behavior standards though, right?

More along the lines of lucky social media wasn't around yet. But I still liked NVE a lot

Speaking of guys who were lucky social media wasn't around yet I researched Dale Ellis a bit after making comments about him earlier and found out that Gary Payton spilled the details about the vicious fight between Dale Ellis and X Man that made the late 80s Sonics implode and trade them both and it turns out Ellis was even more of an asshole than I thought

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Y7kVsnM7UU

Sucker punching a guy while he's holding his kid is even more of a dick move than I would expect out of Draymond Green
Like Reply
(08-08-2023, 10:06 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Love the story, but what's your beef with Nick the quick?????

Actually personal in nature...

So I was at Trinity Valley in '88 when Shawn Kemp was there. Thought of myself as a decent enough player but this guy was hanging in the auxiliary gym and just destroyed me. I hit one shot, and the dude said nice shot (skyhook) you won't get that again... Guy was just super chill and actually thanked me and a buddy for hooping with him - that was Shawn Kemp.
Kemp declares for the '89 draft.

Next fall Trinity Valley brings in NVE.
That spring I am playing intramural softball and Nick is on the opposing team. He is left-handed and needs to borrow my glove. I am good with it and we go a couple of innings. He comes up to bat and running out a ground ball to short. He was blazing fast and our SS had no chance of throwing him out, but I am holding the bag just in case our SS doesn't realize it until after throwing. When Nick gets to first he shoulder checks me, and basically challenges me to a fight for staring at him. When the inning was over he is standing on first whistling for me to give him my glove... Well being petty, I have never been more comfortable while sitting on my glove.

Go forward a few years and the check of the ref over the scorers table while playing for the Lakers confirmed everything I ever felt regarding him. Right until Dallas traded for Raef LaFrentz - then... Well I was conflicted.
[-] The following 2 users Like SkenfromLMF's post:
  • KillerLeft, MrGoat
Like Reply