Poll: Are you satisfied with the offseason?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
91.67%
33 91.67%
No
8.33%
3 8.33%
Total 36 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are you satisfied with the offseason (so far)
(07-22-2023, 01:05 PM)hakeemfaan Wrote: As for majority on this board liking these moves we have seen this time and again. Get excited in the off-season and then once the regular season starts have the excuses as to what anyone expected from a #10 pick or a Dwight Powell or a Curry.

But I'm saying all of that NOW, and I still think this was a hell of a fine summer. 

My evaluation of how the off-season was executed and how competitive the team is this season are not linked at the hip. There was simply too much wrong here to think that way. We have all been patient since Luka was drafted, and it's frustrating that the team isn't in better position. They SHOULD have been at a place where adding 1-2 pieces meant contention, but they just weren't. I fully blame the front office for years of missed opportunity, and am not letting them off the hook. But, I think THIS SUMMER was a step in the right direction, and if they had just identified the Porzingis situation as the disaster it was sooner (I knew after the bubble season) and started doing this back then, they'd be in a better place now in all likelihood. 

TL;DR: I don't expect they'll compete this year, might not even make the playoffs, AND I think they had a good summer. Unfortunately, the state of the team at the end of last season was such that both can be true.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • dirkfansince1998
Like Reply
(07-22-2023, 01:05 PM)hakeemfaan Wrote: As for majority on this board liking these moves we have seen this time and again. Get excited in the off-season and then once the regular season starts have the excuses as to what anyone expected from a #10 pick or a Dwight Powell or a Curry.

Thankfully, we've also seen an example of Luka carrying a team the naysayers panned (as they do every year) to the WCF.   Wink
[-] The following 3 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • F Gump, mvossman, Smitty
Like Reply
(07-22-2023, 01:37 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Thankfully, we've also seen an example of Luka carrying a team the naysayers panned (as they do every year) to the WCF.   Wink

This is true, too, and that's the best part of this current strategy, imo: It doesn't negate the chance that the team will be good. In fact, their asset situation was so sad that I'm honestly not sure how much better off this year's team would've been had they brought in 1-2 win-now types, as per usual. Normally, I get their thinking in those situations and defend it around here, but the bills were coming due on all the misses and something had to give this summer. I didn't anticipate they'd see it that way, but to their credit they obviously did. 

If they ball this year, which is very possible because of Luka and Kyrie, OUTSTANDING. 

If they are underwhelming, there is hope of improvement - REAL improvement  - in the near future for the first time since the Porzingis dream went belly up (imo) and certainly at least since Brunson walked.
Like Reply
This off-season was a solid A. Easily. Deft draft maneuvering. Love Lively and Omax. Got our guy in GW. Kyrie at reasonable-ish $ and term. Seth is a nice value signing and a deadly shooter who should get tons of open looks. A flyer on Exum. I think Holmes is a serviceable big with a chip on his shoulder. Powell knows the system, is a leader and great mentor for the youth. 

To top it all off, there has been no panic trade for an overpaid big man. They may still add someone like Capela to serve as a bridge to Lively if the price is right. But if they don’t? It’s better than burning assets unnecessarily. Drawing lines in negotiations and seemingly sticking to them. Progress! 

We have a young core for what seems like the first time in forever. We have flexibility. We still have some draft capital to use for another upgrade.

I seriously don’t understand how anyone can be less than thrilled by this off-season. This is just the first step of a multi-step process. Next up: extend Josh Green. See how Luka and Kyrie vibe. See what we have in Lively and Omax (and Hardy.) and then make moves accordingly. 

The wild card in it all being Kidd (and his staff.) It better be a pretty short leash he’s on after his shit show nightmare performance last season.
[-] The following 4 users Like MarkAguirreWrathofGod's post:
  • KillerLeft, MFFL, mvossman, Smitty
Like Reply
(07-22-2023, 11:45 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: C:   Holmes - Powell -          Lively -                    McGee
PF:  Doncic - Kleber -           Prosper
SF:  Williams - Hardaway
SG:  Green - Curry               Hardy
PG:  Irving -                        Exum

This is more how I see it.  Note that I've got the three kids (and unproven Exum) outside the nine man playoff rotation.  They will all get time during the regular season, but will have to prove something with that time to be serious parts of a playoff rotation.  I think it is an open question as to whether Hardy will pass Curry in terms of a playoff rotation by the time we get there (which answers the question of why is Curry here).  We are anxious for Hardy to be the star we hope he will be.  The team recognizes he's a baby and needs a real NBA player (but not necessarily a star) playing in front of him).

Maybe not day one, but I suspect Holmes will start more games than Powell when all is said and done.  Having both (and I've already said I think Maxi closes games) allows them to bring Lively along slowly (maybe at a similar pace to Hardy last year).  I'm a follower of the career of Holmes and have tried to fantasy trade for him for years.  I think he will prove to be just fine.  In fact, I'm not sure center is the place I would invest significant assets into (especially if THJ is outgoing).

To the question asked by the OP, I think there is a difference between a 'grade' and 'satisfaction'.  I grade the offseason as an A+.  Everything they did was so much better than I expected.  I love getting Lively and OMax.  Williams fits like a glove IMHO.  I do think Holmes is going to be much better than most perceive and that Powell will excel (like he always has) in a more limited role.  As mentioned, the terms of the Kyrie deal were fantastic.  I love that we got rid of Bertans and Reggie while acquiring real players and second round picks (I think the 2028 second is an underrated, yet important event).  All of that isn't free, but the 2030 pick swap (and whatever the hell we did moving around second rounders) seems a small price for what we got.  All of that is just BRILLIANT to me and we got significantly younger.   I have no issue with staying under the tax this year....A+

But, am I 'satisfied'?  No.  I'm never satisfied and it isn't helped by Stein's insistence there is more coming.  So, I'm not going to lock this answer in until I see what happens (and even if something happens, I will scheme toward the next move proving I'm still not satisfied).  The O/U at 45.5 wins would have been 4th in the West last season.  I see us as a 4-7 team if things go well (which fits the O/U).  I don't think it requires much 'hope'.  We have two Top 20 players.  The role playing starters are going to be just fine and the next 4 bench guys and the 3 super young guys behind them give us a good blend of experienced hands (Powell, Maxi, THJ, Curry) with exciting youngsters (Lively, OMax and Hardy).  I think we are better than a play-in team right now, but 'hope' there is one more move up our sleeves just like everyone else.

Love your positivity Dan.  Hope you are right.

Damn, there's that word "Hope" again.
Like Reply
(07-22-2023, 12:56 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Yes, Yes, Yes and Yes.  None of this means Lively/OMax/Hardy won't play or aren't important.  It just means there is a nine man rotation that makes sense without hurrying any of them.  

Could Lively overtake Powell by season end (my view of Holmes/Powell)?  Absolutely.  But, you could do a lot worse than Powell/Maxi as your backup C's.  

Could OMax force his way into a playoff rotation?  Absolutely.  If Maxi is closing at Center and we need more D than THJ provides, OMax would be a welcome addition.  I think you have to watch what the O looks like with him on the floor.  He doesn't have to hit 38% of his 3's as a rookie.  But, he can't crush the offense when he's out there either.  His ability to beat closeouts and finish well will get him regular season minutes.  Converting open 3's in addition to that 'might' get him playoff minutes.

I don't think we have a Curry vs. Hardy thing if THJ is moved.  But, if he's here, it gets kind of crowded at the position those guys all fulfill.  Ideally, THJ outgoing would bring back a two-way starter (at almost any position).  If that player was clearly an upgrade from Green to where Green is pushed to the bench resulting in a bench like this: 

Powell or Maxi
OMax
Green
Hardy or Curry
Luka or Kyrie

then this team makes great sense to me.  Does that two way player that pushes Josh to the bench have to happen by October?  Probably not.  Even without him, I'd make the case that compared to the WCF team:  

Holmes > Powell, 
Kyrie > Brunson, 
Green > Reggie, 
Williams > DFS (some of those margins are substantial and some...like DFS...are closer).  

We haven't replaced Dinwiddie yet but we have THJ, Curry and Hardy as candidates.  Oh, and I haven't even mentioned Lively and OMax in the comparison to the WCF team.  That is a significant transition of players and we didn't sacrifice youth to do it.  BTW, SD played well in his 28 minutes per game in the playoffs, but his minutes were a net negative during that run.  So, replacing those minutes isn't impossible.

I think we also have to view the first part of the season as an experiment, with lots of different lineups, both starting and bench.  And probably lots of disappointments, with combinations that don't work, rookies that make rookie mistakes, new players that struggle to find their roles, etc.

But we'll probably also catch glimpses of potential and team chemistry that swing our emotions back into irrational exhuberance.

Get your popcorn ready!
[-] The following 1 user Likes DallasMaverick's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(07-22-2023, 01:37 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Thankfully, we've also seen an example of Luka carrying a team the naysayers panned (as they do every year) to the WCF.   Wink

In a down year in the WC. We also saw that Jalen was massively underrated in his time here and the first bad series he had in that playoffs run, we lost. We also had a 3 headed guard tandem them that we didn’t replace. 

Plus this thread was about grading their off season.  I don’t see reaching for a project center, resigning Powell and getting Curry back as giving it a A. I like Grant Williams but if you were going for a project amyway and taking a chance at 12, I would have preferred a bolder move than trying for need.
[-] The following 1 user Likes hakeemfaan's post:
  • omahen
Like Reply
(07-22-2023, 01:05 PM)hakeemfaan Wrote: Well said.  I can’t get over the fact that they had the #10 pick and whatever you think of the draft day moves their main pick was a project defensive center.  Either take a player who can play right away or if banking on future potential and willing to take a chance go for a skill position.  

As for majority on this board liking these moves we have seen this time and again. Get excited in the off-season and then once the regular season starts have the excuses as to what anyone expected from a #10 pick or a Dwight Powell or a Curry.

No clue where this is coming from. There hasn't been a single offseason since the Mavs traded for injured KP that everyone was actually happy about. This one is different because they tanked and kept a lottery pick and were able to make lots of good moves. The offseason that was supposed to be huge that just ended up with Delon Wright as the prize signing was a colossal failure that needed puppet media guys to attack the fan base for being so angry. Board listed so many possibilities from role players to players with upside and they came away with pretty much nothing. That alone ruined Doncic's rookie contract years. They actually got stuff done this time instead of being left with nothing but powder. The FO is competing against 29 other teams, it's not free to just get whatever players you want.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jakeospikez's post:
  • MarkAguirreWrathofGod
Like Reply
(07-22-2023, 08:30 PM)Jakeospikez Wrote: No clue where this is coming from. There hasn't been a single offseason since the Mavs traded for injured KP that everyone was actually happy about. This one is different because they tanked and kept a lottery pick and were able to make lots of good moves. The offseason that was supposed to be huge that just ended up with Delon Wright as the prize signing was a colossal failure that needed puppet media guys to attack the fan base for being so angry. Board listed so many possibilities from role players to players with upside and they came away with pretty much nothing. That alone ruined Doncic's rookie contract years. They actually got stuff done this time instead of being left with nothing but powder. The FO is competing against 29 other teams, it's not free to just get whatever players you want.

What was the draft board this time? Were Lively and OMax the 12th and 24th best talent on the boards when they picked or are they drafting for need?  Teams get into trouble reaching for need in the draft. I don’t blame GMs for missing out. The draft is always a crapshoot but I do care about talent and skill in the draft. The NBA is now more than ever a skill league.  OMax actually I don’t have complaints about. Teams might regret passing on Emoni but that happens. At 12 though you better hope Lively turns out to be really good because there were better skilled guys available. Teams don’t get better in a day. I don’t expect them to. However stacking up on skill gives you a chance that you might hit on something special and even if not, that type of asset is sought after in future trades. 

Let’s even put Lively aside when it comes to evaluating this off-season as even those supporting his selection are not factoring him to contribute much. I have rooted for this team when they barely managed double digit wins. I will continue to. However when it comes to grading off-seasons I see the lack of rebounding and defense at the center spot as a huge concern and don’t see a raw rookie helping there. I see the lack of a 3 headed guard rotation as a concern. These were glaring issues even last season. So without addressing those why the rush to give this off-season high grades?  If the answer is they are not done yet, I am fine with that. Again no need to rush to give a great grade.

To me a big part of this season, assuming no other blockbuster, is to force feed Hardy. Hardaway and Green are not the answer. Exum did not inspire confidence in his first stint. I don’t know if Hardy is the answer but he brings certain things as far as skillset and putting pressure on defenses in ways that Green and Hardaway can’t. Even if Exum has got better the team absolutely has to give Hardy minutes. I also take back my concession on being ok with Lively not getting many minutes this year. Force feed him minutes even if 8-10 mins a night. I am thinking OMax will get minutes. If the Mavs do that with Hardy, OMax and Lively, I will totally be fine with how this season goes as far as wins and losses. They can’t afford to run journeymen centers or find some retreads and hope for different results. You have Luka and Kyrie. Be bold with some other moves or rotaions and take a chance to see if some of these guys can be difference makers.
Like Reply
(07-22-2023, 01:37 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: But I'm saying all of that NOW, and I still think this was a hell of a fine summer. 

My evaluation of how the off-season was executed and how competitive the team is this season are not linked at the hip. There was simply too much wrong here to think that way. We have all been patient since Luka was drafted, and it's frustrating that the team isn't in better position. They SHOULD have been at a place where adding 1-2 pieces meant contention, but they just weren't. I fully blame the front office for years of missed opportunity, and am not letting them off the hook. But, I think THIS SUMMER was a step in the right direction, and if they had just identified the Porzingis situation as the disaster it was sooner (I knew after the bubble season) and started doing this back then, they'd be in a better place now in all likelihood. 

TL;DR: I don't expect they'll compete this year, might not even make the playoffs, AND I think they had a good summer. Unfortunately, the state of the team at the end of last season was such that both can be true.

I don’t disagree with most of what you wrote. My disagreement was with you also throwing in a caveat at one point that you don’t consider #10 as a high pick. It might not have been your intention but it seemed like you were already lining up the excuses if Lively didn’t pan out.  It is a high pick and the Mavs have to hit on that pick even if it takes Lively a couple of years.

It doesn’t matter other GMs miss as well. Most organizations have accountability. Donnie was let off the hook one too many times post the championship.  Cuban can’t do the same with Nico. Patience is fine but don’t let him off the hook if a couple of years later Lively looks like a journeyman. By the same token give him an A if and when Lively pans out. Evaluatuons and hitting on talent matters for a GM.
Like Reply
I have said this before, but this is the first time in a while I feel energized about our future. That is pretty crazy when Luka has been here for 5 years. Last year, I was looking at a future where we were not a serious contender but also a team that lacked assets and seeing a future where the young teams mature and get good. I thought we were in no mans land. My hope for the offseason is they would toe the line between the now and the future. That is a real difficult balance due to having an elite player already and limited assets heading into the offseason.

I still think there is work to do to land the plane for the present. In a tough west, they still have a up hill battle this upcoming year. Finding a true caliber starter who does things to fill the holes, would do wonders. I am just not sure they have an offer at this stage to find one of these guys.

As far as the future, their draft picks may fizzle out and Kyrie may be looking to get to LA in two years. Who knows. But for the first time they have targeted talented youth who I believe fit the ideal characteristics to fit around Luka. I love the Lively pick. Did I have Whitmore rated higher? Yep. Could Whitmore wind up averaging 25 points a game at some point? Probably. But the question I was asking of all these draft prospects is if their main skill was being able to score, were we ever going to get the most out of them when we have two dominant scorers already? There is only one ball.

Lastly, as I mentioned earlier without a trade, we are facing an uphill battle. But I think a lot of people are discounting how good a engaged Luka and Kyrie can be....especially if they learn to play off each other. I would not read much into their poor results together last year. It may not happen and Kyrie may decide to go somewhere else, but the game is not that hard when you have a top 5 player. Surround him with guys that allows your star to be a star and you are already better than half of the league. For the first time, they have targeted guys I have been hoping for for a long time. We will see if it works.
[-] The following 2 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • MFFL, Smitty
Like Reply
As one of the boards resident negative nancy´s. I am more hopeful than usually around this time of the year. In the end results matter but there has been a noticable change of approach and I cannot ignore that as far as creativity and asset management goes they did exactly what many of us have been asking for since what feels like forever.
As far as Lively goes. I wasn´t the biggest fan pre draft and probably wouldn´t have taken him at 12 but I don´t think it was as big of a reach as hakeemfan suggests. People tend to forget that he was the top recruit of his class not even two years ago. Mediocre first half of the season saw him fall into the mid/late 1st round but he finished strong and by the end of the season he was the best defender in college basketball. Add a couple of good workouts and it is easy to understand how he jumped back into the lottery.
[-] The following 2 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • KillerLeft, mvossman
Like Reply
(07-23-2023, 09:28 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: As one of the boards resident negative nancy´s. I am more hopeful than usually around this time of the year. In the end results matter but there has been a noticable change of approach and I cannot ignore that as far as creativity and asset management goes they did exactly what many of us have been asking for since what feels like forever.
As far as Lively goes. I wasn´t the biggest fan pre draft and probably wouldn´t have taken him at 12 but I don´t think it was as big of a reach as hakeemfan suggests. People tend to forget that he was the top recruit of his class not even two years ago. Mediocre first half of the season saw him fall into the mid/late 1st round but he finished strong and by the end of the season he was the best defender in college basketball. Add a couple of good workouts and it is easy to understand how he jumped back into the lottery.

I did go back and look at his high school highlights.  He seemed to dominate just on height as most really tall and athletic high schoolers do. Plus he was hitting 3s. The 2nd part is the key.  The first part I don’t put much stock into unless he was playing in an advanced league as in most of the highlights he didn’t even get any real resistance. I think it got exposed a bit in college. 

I want two things from a modern day defensive center.  Be able to switch and block out for rebounds on the defensive end if near the glass.  He looks weak right now on the second part. That is of a concern to me because even Powell and Maxy can switch out well. The problem is they get pushed around in the paint. Dirk OTOH is never recognized as a force in the middle but from day 1 what stood out to me was that this dude can get defensive rebounds in traffic. There is a reason why his rebounding number went up in the post season when the battles were even more intense. 

If the 3 point shot comes it is a huge bonus. However if he can just block out and get defensive rebounds in traffic along with his ability to switch on the perimeter, I will gladly take that and take back anything negative I feel about his selection.
Like Reply
(07-23-2023, 07:16 AM)hakeemfaan Wrote: What was the draft board this time? Were Lively and OMax the 12th and 24th best talent on the boards when they picked or are they drafting for need?  Teams get into trouble reaching for need in the draft. I don’t blame GMs for missing out. The draft is always a crapshoot but I do care about talent and skill in the draft. The NBA is now more than ever a skill league.  OMax actually I don’t have complaints about. Teams might regret passing on Emoni but that happens. At 12 though you better hope Lively turns out to be really good because there were better skilled guys available. Teams don’t get better in a day. I don’t expect them to. However stacking up on skill gives you a chance that you might hit on something special and even if not, that type of asset is sought after in future trades. 

Let’s even put Lively aside when it comes to evaluating this off-season as even those supporting his selection are not factoring him to contribute much. I have rooted for this team when they barely managed double digit wins. I will continue to. However when it comes to grading off-seasons I see the lack of rebounding and defense at the center spot as a huge concern and don’t see a raw rookie helping there. I see the lack of a 3 headed guard rotation as a concern. These were glaring issues even last season. So without addressing those why the rush to give this off-season high grades?  If the answer is they are not done yet, I am fine with that. Again no need to rush to give a great grade.

To me a big part of this season, assuming no other blockbuster, is to force feed Hardy. Hardaway and Green are not the answer. Exum did not inspire confidence in his first stint.  I don’t know if Hardy is the answer but he brings certain things as far as skillset and putting pressure on defenses in ways that Green and Hardaway can’t. Even if Exum has got better the team absolutely has to give Hardy minutes. I also take back my concession on being ok with Lively not getting many minutes this year. Force feed him minutes even if 8-10 mins a night. I am thinking OMax will get minutes. If the Mavs do that with Hardy, OMax and Lively, I will totally be fine with how this season goes as far as wins and losses. They can’t afford to run journeymen centers or find some retreads and hope for different results. You have Luka and Kyrie. Be bold with some other moves or rotaions and take a chance to see if some of these guys can be difference makers.

What makes this board worthwhile is seeing how each others opinions vary. You mention Hardy as if he could be a future star and say that Green is clearly not the answer.

I see it almost the exact opposite. Hardy is good and had about a month stretch of good scoring on good efficiency. But I see him as just that. A SG who can score. There are many in the league and they make a lot of money. THJ, Hield, etc.. but the two-way guys are the ones that mean more imo. Someone that can defend and score 12-15+ ppg is what I want to invest in. Hardy will never be a good defender and likely never a good facilitator or playmaker and that’s perfectly okay. But Green has the potential to do all of those things and has shown flashes as a starter last year at a very young age.
Like Reply
(07-23-2023, 09:01 PM)Smitty Wrote: What makes this board worthwhile is seeing how each others opinions vary. You mention Hardy as if he could be a future star and say that Green is clearly not the answer.

I see it almost the exact opposite. Hardy is good and had about a month stretch of good scoring on good efficiency. But I see him as just that. A SG who can score. There are many in the league and they make a lot of money. THJ, Hield, etc.. but the two-way guys are the ones that mean more imo. Someone that can defend and score 12-15+ ppg is what I want to invest in. Hardy will never be a good defender and likely never a good facilitator or playmaker and that’s perfectly okay. But Green has the potential to do all of those things and has shown flashes as a starter last year at a very young age.

Man, I agree. I mean, I don't really want to have a take in the "Green vs. Hardy" debate, but I am surprised at how down some people are on Green. He basically arrived last season. Other than consistently pulling the trigger on his catch and shoot game (which is not bad at all) when open, he pretty much just needs to do what he did last season on bigger minutes and he's going to be a pretty big deal in the league by the end of this season. I feel like he's about to have a breakout season.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • Smitty
Like Reply
(07-23-2023, 07:16 AM)hakeemfaan Wrote: What was the draft board this time? Were Lively and OMax the 12th and 24th best talent on the boards when they picked or are they drafting for need?  Teams get into trouble reaching for need in the draft. I don’t blame GMs for missing out. The draft is always a crapshoot but I do care about talent and skill in the draft. The NBA is now more than ever a skill league.  OMax actually I don’t have complaints about. Teams might regret passing on Emoni but that happens. At 12 though you better hope Lively turns out to be really good because there were better skilled guys available. Teams don’t get better in a day. I don’t expect them to. However stacking up on skill gives you a chance that you might hit on something special and even if not, that type of asset is sought after in future trades. 

To me a big part of this season, assuming no other blockbuster, is to force feed Hardy. Hardaway and Green are not the answer. Exum did not inspire confidence in his first stint.  I don’t know if Hardy is the answer but he brings certain things as far as skillset and putting pressure on defenses in ways that Green and Hardaway can’t. Even if Exum has got better the team absolutely has to give Hardy minutes. I also take back my concession on being ok with Lively not getting many minutes this year. Force feed him minutes even if 8-10 mins a night. I am thinking OMax will get minutes. If the Mavs do that with Hardy, OMax and Lively, I will totally be fine with how this season goes as far as wins and losses. They can’t afford to run journeymen centers or find some retreads and hope for different results. You have Luka and Kyrie. Be bold with some other moves or rotaions and take a chance to see if some of these guys can be difference makers.

Personally don't really care that much about pushing hard to be a contender this year so I don't knock the offseason down for that metric. From what I've seen so far, Luka/Kyrie/Green/OMax/Lively looks like an eventual contender starting 5 and that's all I really care about. I would be fine with giving OMax and Lively as many minutes as possible this year, let them learn on the job, deal with their mistakes and accelerate their growth. Also want them contributing asap and not be on the Josh Green plan where they finally become contributors by the time their rookie deal is up. Bench depth looks good too with Hardy/GW/Maxi, maybe THJ plus whichever other guys currently on the squad pan out. Just need to make the playoffs and give the young core as many playoff minutes as possible to get their feet wet. If the west looks really weak at the trade deadline for whatever reason or like Jokic gets injured or something then making a move for a hard playoff push is fine but I'd wait for the TDL and figure out what needs to be done. A lot of these teams now will be more willing to deal once they look like trash by the TDL. There are probably already plans on using expirings next offseason to go along with the draft picks that become available, so the THJ/Holmes/McGee contracts could be useful, not sure on what needs to be done there yet. How Green plays this year will be the biggest factor on future roster decisions imo.
Like Reply
(07-22-2023, 02:32 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: I think we also have to view the first part of the season as an experiment, with lots of different lineups, both starting and bench.  And probably lots of disappointments, with combinations that don't work, rookies that make rookie mistakes, new players that struggle to find their roles, etc.

But we'll probably also catch glimpses of potential and team chemistry that swing our emotions back into irrational exhuberance.

Get your popcorn ready!

I agree with this.  I think the most unsettled part of the deal is center.  But, we had the same thing last season with the failed McGee experiment to start the season.  Who knows how the 'bullpen-approach' to the C rotation will shake out, but I like what I see throughout the rest of the roster.

Speaking of last season, when we get ready to make predictions on wins/standings for 23/24, remember that Dallas spent the first half of January as the 4th place team in the west.  Most of December was played without Green and Maxi and the back half of December was played without DFS.  On 1/2, we were 22-16 and three of the losses were the three nights Luka sat.  22-16 is a 48 win pace.  The Kings finished 3rd in the West with 48 wins.

Since that time in early January, here are the On Court/Off Court nets (82games.com) for the guys who have left:

Dinwiddie -3.7
Wood -2.3
Bertans -4.4
DFS +0.8
Reggie - 4.6

Here are the same numbers for the guys they kept:

Luka +6.3
Irving +7.5
THJ + 7.5
Green +3.8
Powell +8.6

Notice a pattern?  Maxi is the only net negative we've kept outside of a rookie.  Maxi was +1.1 and +4.6 the two seasons prior to last season.  Now, lets look at the guys we've brought in:

I bring this up today in the off-season thread because Jones Jr. was a monster by this stat last season at +6.9 (BB-Ref has him at +7.5).  GWill was a +4.6 when you consider On Court only.  His Net of - 3.3 is more about they guy he subs for (Boston's best player) than anything Williams did. Oh, and the last time Holmes got significant minutes, he was +8.2 for Sacramento (and they just fell apart any time he sat).  

I think the Jones signing adds to what I already thought was a great off season.  The guys who weren't contributing to winning are gone.  They guys who stayed were positive contributors and we brought in some more of those types.  We have surrounded Luka/Kyrie with some premium shooters, some premium defenders (who seem to fit Kidd's scheme well) and some premium rim runners. It is too bad that no player manifests all of those traits, but you can keep some combo of shooting, defending and rim running on the court at all times.

I also like that we are not dependent on Lively, OMax and Hardy for anything, but the guys ahead of them aren't so overpaid that we wouldn't use the babies if they showed something early.  The DJJ signing means we are also less dependent on Maxi's health/shot.  This team is better than the one that sat in 4th place much of January.  With health, there isn't any reason they can't be in a similar position this season.  I think it has been a really smart off-season on so many levels.
[-] The following 7 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • DallasMaverick, dirkfansince1998, ItsGoTime, KillerLeft, mvossman, Smitty, surfpuckmd
Like Reply
(08-11-2023, 09:21 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I agree with this.  I think the most unsettled part of the deal is center.  But, we had the same thing last season with the failed McGee experiment to start the season.  Who knows how the 'bullpen-approach' to the C rotation will shake out, but I like what I see throughout the rest of the roster.

Speaking of last season, when we get ready to make predictions on wins/standings for 23/24, remember that Dallas spent the first half of January as the 4th place team in the west.  Most of December was played without Green and Maxi and the back half of December was played without DFS.  On 1/2, we were 22-16 and three of the losses were the three nights Luka sat.  22-16 is a 48 win pace.  The Kings finished 3rd in the West with 48 wins.

Since that time in early January, here are the On Court/Off Court nets (82games.com) for the guys who have left:

Dinwiddie -3.7
Wood -2.3
Bertans -4.4
DFS +0.8
Reggie - 4.6

Here are the same numbers for the guys they kept:

Luka +6.3
Irving +7.5
THJ + 7.5
Green +3.8
Powell +8.6

Notice a pattern?  Maxi is the only net negative we've kept outside of a rookie.  Maxi was +1.1 and +4.6 the two seasons prior to last season.  Now, lets look at the guys we've brought in:

I bring this up today in the off-season thread because Jones Jr. was a monster by this stat last season at +6.9 (BB-Ref has him at +7.5).  GWill was a +4.6 when you consider On Court only.  His Net of - 3.3 is more about they guy he subs for (Boston's best player) than anything Williams did. Oh, and the last time Holmes got significant minutes, he was +8.2 for Sacramento (and they just fell apart any time he sat).  

I think the Jones signing adds to what I already thought was a great off season.  The guys who weren't contributing to winning are gone.  They guys who stayed were positive contributors and we brought in some more of those types.  We have surrounded Luka/Kyrie with some premium shooters, some premium defenders (who seem to fit Kidd's scheme well) and some premium rim runners. It is too bad that no player manifests all of those traits, but you can keep some combo of shooting, defending and rim running on the court at all times.

I also like that we are not dependent on Lively, OMax and Hardy for anything, but the guys ahead of them aren't so overpaid that we wouldn't use the babies if they showed something early.  The DJJ signing means we are also less dependent on Maxi's health/shot.  This team is better than the one that sat in 4th place much of January.  With health, there isn't any reason they can't be in a similar position this season.  I think it has been a really smart off-season on so many levels.

[Image: z1we7bqu0c8b1.png?width=960&crop=smart&a...02850e070b]

Draft picks also fit into the analytics/plus-minus based approach.
[-] The following 4 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, KillerLeft, Smitty, surfpuckmd
Like Reply
So basically, the SECOND Kammrath gave up was the second the team started doing things to his liking.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • dirkfansince1998, MFFL
Like Reply
It’s difficult to find minutes for the young guys, particularly OMax with the addition of DJJ. I tried to make a rotation and get everyone “their minutes”. Injuries will be a factor of course but I came away thinking the Mavs are a much deeper team than years past.

Can swap Holmes and Powell. I view them as interchangeable at this point.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

[-] The following 1 user Likes Smitty's post:
  • mvossman
Like Reply