Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TRADE: Mavs get Grant Williams+2 2nds| SAS gets Bullock+2030 pick swap| BOS gets 2nds
(07-06-2023, 06:43 AM)Kidnova Wrote: I agree.  Megathreads have their place, but not everybody stops by on a daily basis so having a dedicated post to discuss things that have actually happened (not rumors) is good.  If you haven't been to the board in a week or more it can be almost impossible to find a specific topic in one of those megas.

I respectfully disagree. I just read the same things discussed in this one in the Trade and FA thread.  But I concur, I have no dog in this fight. Carry on...
Like Reply
(07-06-2023, 06:58 AM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote:  I respectfully disagree. I just read the same things discussed in this one in the Trade and FA thread.  But I concur, I have no dog in this fight. Carry on...

Exactly correct because it's the hottest new topic.  Now imagine an Ayton trade goes down later this week and you come to the board after having not been keeping close track this week.  All of the Williams talk in the megathread will be buried in pages and pages of Ayton discussion.  Plus, it's not like this board is full of new topics that are pushing important threads off of the front page.  It's pretty barren around here since most of the discussion does go on in the megas.
Like Reply
(07-06-2023, 05:16 AM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: Don't flame me but did we really need to start a separate thread about this trade? It's already talked about in the Trade and FA page.

Yes this needs its own thread. It can be the Grant Williams thread down the line when he does other cool stuff.
Like Reply
(07-06-2023, 05:36 AM)Dundalis Wrote: I don't see why all confirmed Mavs trades shouldn't have their own thread. It's not like there will be 20 of them. They are our players and can be used to talk about them outside of trade and FA scenarios as we get closer to the season or even in season. That page is mainly for rumors IMO even though a lot of discussion about confirmed trades obviously happens there.

Also just saw this:

I know this isn't what he always looks like, but god damn there's some incredible defensive plays here. He actually does some of the things you see from Thybulle making up ground to make incredible defensive plays despite seemingly being out of the frame to make a play.

This guy really knows how to get his hands on the ball anywhere from low on the dribble and every level all the way up. It is hard to describe what he does but his defensive eye hand coordination reminds me of Derek Harper’s incredible ability in this area…except Grant W can do that at any level. He is going to help us because Luka and Kyrie will jam that ball right down the opponents throats.

Also I always look for the confirmed big news threads. Keep up the good work. I enjoy them. I also appreciate the heading updates though i sometimes have to go back several pages to find the details of what happened but then I am usually patient enough to find what I need.
[-] The following 2 users Like Reunion Mav's post:
  • ItsGoTime, MFFL
Like Reply
What a signing! Nico is fn killing it, man! Finally someone who will play elite defense!

Also, on one podcast last year, he was asked which player he would start a franchise to build around. He chose Luka.
[-] The following 1 user Likes donzingis38's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
Any clarity on the picks? Cato mentions only the 2030 pick swap and 2025 SRP swap
Like Reply
(07-07-2023, 12:34 PM)omahen Wrote: Any clarity on the picks? Cato mentions only the 2030 pick swap and 2025 SRP swap

Trade is not executed yet. There may be add-on's and changes brewing.
Like Reply
(07-06-2023, 06:58 AM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote:  I respectfully disagree. But I concur...

:-)
Not very astute ^^^^
Like Reply
https://i.postimg.cc/nzLPXsPr/gw.png

Interesting, he’s even more versatile than I thought. This makes me think he’d be just fine if we had gotten PJ (I guess that isn’t necessarily dead either).
[-] The following 1 user Likes ItsGoTime's post:
  • Smitty
Like Reply
(07-13-2023, 06:52 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: https://i.postimg.cc/nzLPXsPr/gw.png

Interesting, he’s even more versatile than I thought. This makes me think he’d be just fine if we had gotten PJ (I guess that isn’t necessarily dead either).

It would be even more interesting to see how he fared against each category!
[-] The following 2 users Like DallasMaverick's post:
  • JBB, Smitty
Like Reply
Grant Williams on the JJ Redick pod, The Old Man and the Three, that just dropped today is great!

I am still not done with it, but a couple times in this interview I got extremely hyped about adding Grant Williams to our team.

Him admitting he is an a-hole, and JJ agreeing with him saying that is good, and how it works to his benefit on defense.

The way he described liking Ime coaching vs Brad vs Joe, and How each had their finer points of coaching, which to me expressed what he likes most, (coaches letting the players have a bit more say a la Ime, but he also respects the analytical work of Joe and was respectful of the output, but acknowledged he liked that Ime would let them play a bit more while also being more blunt and hold them more accountable BECAUSE he was a player... which could speak a lot for the potential relationship in Kidd and Williams.)

His trash talking beef with Booker, and how it makes him better, and he is excited to join Luka in the west because he knows Luka and Book have a beef, and he wants to help see them multiple times a year and help in that, he said lol.

I am VERY excited to have him on the team!

https://youtu.be/kq_L1Lyw4x8
[-] The following 2 users Like Magickian's post:
  • KillerLeft, MFFL
Like Reply
LOL!!!! okay so towards the end of this pod, there are two more great gems

Williams starts to talk about his two ejections this season, and he gets too excited almost like he is proud. Immediately you see the tone in JJ's face change. You can tell JJ likes Grant a lot, but also thinks this is a place he needs to mature on. JJ tells him he needs to work on his Anger, while also admitting they are similar as people but this is why he advises him to work on it, because he is older, at a different stage in life. I thought this was an interesting change in tone that you can see it JJ's eyes long before he says it.

Then Williams follows this up with trying to convince JJ to come out of retirement and just play 4-5 games in the playoffs for the Mavs and hit some killer 3s to help the Mavs win some crucial games............

I just LOVE that energy, enthusiasm, recruiting mentality, while also ambitious and already thinking about a true championship run, and was hoping JJ could be our Peja in a championship run...

Another thing to note, all the comments are Boston fans saying how much they love him and will continue to root for him.
Like Reply
(07-21-2023, 12:38 PM)Magickian Wrote: Grant Williams on the JJ Redick pod, The Old Man and the Three, that just dropped today is great!

I am still not done with it, but a couple times in this interview I got extremely hyped about adding Grant Williams to our team.

Him admitting he is an a-hole

We haven't had that a-hole player since DeShawn Stevenson. It is a role that the Mavs definitely needed to fill.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MFFL's post:
  • Magickian
Like Reply
(07-21-2023, 01:09 PM)MFFL Wrote: We haven't had that a-hole player since DeShawn Stevenson. It is a role that the Mavs definitely needed to fill.

Agreed, but what is most exciting to me about this all is, DeShawn, as much as I LOVE him and wish I had his T-Shirt he wore (we all know the one, lol)

He was a FAR smaller role for us, than what Williams will be on this team. Williams is either a starter or 6th man type, that can defend the 2-5(while admitting the stronger quicker 2s are his weak point(he says in the pod)) He can cover guys way bigger than DeShawn, and has a potential to be a way bigger piece of our puzzle.

So I am not trying to say who is better yada yada, but what I love is that Williams is signed to be one of our bigger core pieces going forward, AND yes is our new enforcer, in the spirit of 3venson
Like Reply
Just for the record, adding the detail on the trade for Grant Williams.

Players swapped          Picks sent by DAL       Picks received by DAL

Bullock - G Will               
                                     2025 2nd to BOS*          2025 2nd from BOS*  *only if BOS has better record
                                                                                                    *if DAL has a 2nd not a 1st (NY)
                                                                         2025 2nd (TOR's, from SA)

2028 2nd (MIA's, from SA)

2030 1st to SA**            2030 1st from SA**    *only if SA has better record
                                     2030 2nd to BOS                             

Boston also receives the better of 2024 NO/CHI 2nd from SA.
Like Reply
Interesting article in the Athletic about Williams from the view of a Boston writer

The physical chess match

Then there’s Grant Williams, whose brute force has refined enough to allow him to bring the attack to the offense rather than try to survive body blow after body blow. What made Smart and Grant Williams’ impact so hard to define and quantify is that they are players of aggregate value. They don’t just make winning plays, but they subtly chip away to slowly build an advantage.

Williams was a foul machine when he first entered the league, but managed to turn into, well, a much more efficient foul machine last year. But that was part of his job, at least when his coach fully trusted him. He was there to body, annoy, disrupt, and eventually defocus opposing stars. He could take Jimmy Butler, Giannis Antetokounmpo, Joel Embiid, and annoy them in a way that was sustainable.

He became so much better at being aggressive with his hands before a player would put the ball on the floor, as well as when they would gather up into their shot. He started to nail the angles defending drives so that he could make dislodging contact without getting called for blocking fouls. The leash was just too short for him this past season to let him get away with his sometimes over-aggressive tendencies on each end.

https://archive.ph/32Z5S
[-] The following 2 users Like MFFL's post:
  • KillerLeft, Reunion Mav
Like Reply
Steal of a deal
[-] The following 5 users Like Jym's post:
  • BigDirk41, KillerLeft, MFFL, Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo, StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply