Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NBA Summer League | Mavs end off 4-1
(07-07-2023, 09:11 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Wemby reminds me a lot of KP thats way more agile, better defender, and great ball handling.

They have the same "weakness". Not being able punish mismatches in the post. Wemby has a few years to figure it out and has already shown that he is a better midrange shooter but he isn´t getting anything easy at the rim.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dirkfansince1998's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(07-07-2023, 09:13 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: They have the same "weakness". Not being able punish mismatches in the post. Wemby has a few years to figure it out and has already shown that he is a better midrange shooter but he isn´t getting anything easy at the rim.

Yeah thats a good description of it. I'm getting flashbacks of KP getting dominated by Marcus Smart right now watching Wemby trying to attack the rim.

Twitter already memeing him:

https://twitter.com/thehatecentral/statu...38400?s=46&t=Fmdr94oXagcEyy75KJqaFg

Hater Central (@TheHateCentral)
Victor Wembanyama at half tonight:

5 Points
1-7 FG
0-3 3PT
2 Turnovers
13 Slow-Mo Replays
11 Life Stories Reported

THE WEMBY EFFECT
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
Also easy to tell that Wemby has experienced double teams and collapsing defenders in europe. Embiid still hasn´t figured out how to make the right pass. Dirk needed a couple of years. Wemby already makes the right read more often than not.
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(07-07-2023, 09:15 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Also easy to tell that Wemby has experienced double teams and collapsing defenders in europe. Embiid still hasn´t figured out how to make the right pass. Dirk needed a couple of years. Wemby already makes the right read more often than not.

I agree with this. But don’t you think the average basketball IQ of the players in the NBA is improving as the game evolves to a more international style? I’m just not sure this is the flex it would’ve been back when Dirk broke in.
Like Reply
Brandon Miller really is gonna be a bust huh?

The Hornets curse lives on.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(07-07-2023, 09:22 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Brandon Miller really is gonna be a bust huh?

I don’t know about bust, but I was definitely more impressed with Henderson in the last game.
Like Reply
(07-07-2023, 09:02 PM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: google pics of Giannis when he was drafted

[Image: 171674733_10.jpg]

[Image: medium_2023-06-22-1cc58ef562.jpg]
Like Reply
(07-07-2023, 09:22 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Brandon Miller really is gonna be a bust huh?

Difficult to say anyone is a bust based on a few summer league games. Hope we give Lively and Omax a chance if they don’t come out of the gate looking like All-Stars.
Like Reply
Victor Wen-got-bammed-on-ya

(07-07-2023, 09:24 PM)Smitty Wrote: Difficult to say anyone is a bust based on a few summer league games. Hope we give Lively and Omax a chance if they don’t come out of the gate looking like All-Stars.

Overreacting to summer league games is an annual tradition you gotta get on board.
[-] The following 2 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • DallasMaverick, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(07-07-2023, 09:20 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I agree with this. But don’t you think the average basketball IQ of the players in the NBA is improving as the game evolves to a more international style? I’m just not sure this is the flex it would’ve been back when Dirk broke in.

On average. Probably. Feels like most players that come from europe (and actually played in one of the top leagues) are ahead of the curve. Would be nice to see changes in NCAA and highschool basketball. Cuban caused a lot of outrage among US players but he wasn´t wrong when he questioned the current focus on athleticism and individual skills. I think that´s a big reason for the steep learning curve once they enter the NBA. In contrast a player that played rotation minutes in europe has a big advantage when it comes to intangible stuff. Has played in different zone concepts. Probably had to learn more play calls than the average NBA team runs in an entire season.

And just looking at star players I just cannot get over examples like Embiid that aren´t able to figure out how to deal with a double team or trap. MVP that gets eliminated in the playoffs by the same kind of defense each year.
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
[Image: F0e1dB0akAAFfGB.png?width=818&height=1024]
Like Reply
Ok, that last block was pretty dope.
Like Reply
It’s obviously too early to say or even think this, but I am underwhelmed. Dude was getting booed and seemed pretty embarrassed during the post game interview. I felt sorry for him.
Like Reply
(07-07-2023, 10:15 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: It’s obviously too early to say or even think this, but I am underwhelmed. Dude was getting booed and seemed pretty embarrassed during the post game interview. I felt sorry for him.

Expectations are the thief of joy. There was no shot anyone would've been hyped for Wemby unless he dropped a dominant 20+point 10+rebound 5+ block kinda game.

He's raw, but his defensive talent is transformative. He had an off night offensively and you can see the man drip with potential. 

But its way funnier to post memes.
Like Reply
Between Wemby, Henderson and Miller. Have the top 3 picks ever looked worse in summer league? Feels like more often than not they simply skip summer league...for a reason. Cannot imagine that they are in great shape. First two haven´t played competitive bball in month and probably need some time to get back into it. Wemby has been playing non stop and didn´t even have one month to recover from a long season.
Like Reply
(07-07-2023, 10:30 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Between Wemby, Henderson and Miller. Have the top 3 picks ever looked worse in summer league? Feels like more often than not they simply skip summer league...for a reason. Cannot imagine that they are in great shape. First two haven´t played competitive bball in month and probably need some time to get back into it. Wemby has been playing non stop and didn´t even have one month to recover from a long season.

Completely disagree.  Wemby despite the poor shooting showed significant potential and anyone who says he shouldn't/wouldn't still be the first pick is full of it.  Henderson was cooking in the first quarter before he got injured.  Then to call out a draft class for top three performance....look back no further than 2013.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JBB's post:
  • HoosierDaddyKid
Like Reply
(07-07-2023, 08:42 PM)Jakeospikez Wrote: Someone mentioned he got some minor injury and had to cancel a lot of private workouts with teams which led to his fall. Too bad.

Their loss. Leonard Miller and GG Jackson where by miles the most impressive rookies on day 1. The T Wolves got lucky (even though it’s not the best situation for a rookie big).  Memphis just has a knack. GG will be one of if not the youngest player in the league and he already looks like a powerhouse.  Memphis has a type, except for Ja. How do they do that? They continually surprise me.
Like Reply

Pretty strong words to call him a bust after a few SL games. He's athletic and has a nice stroke. Looked nervous to me.  He will get better playing with LaMelo.
Like Reply
9/8/3 with 5 blks to beat so we can proclaim Lively the better Wembanyama.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mavs2021's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
Mavs at 230 central on ESPN2
[-] The following 1 user Likes RoyTarpleysGhost's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply