Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This place is dead to me.
I see why everyone is bailing.  Just a short month ago, this site was breaming with discussion activity. Now because of the Mavs very disappointing season, I guess people decided to hop off the train.
Like Reply
The solution is not to complain how dead you think the board is. Contribute, write something interesting. For me personally, the overwhelming whining is a thing that is putting me off. Usually by people who complain about Luka complaining Smile 

It seems people built extremely high expectations due to WCF last season. For me personally it was obvious in the summer, the team took a step back due to the failure to resign Brunson, bring in an extra wing. Also the center improvements proved to be a total failure. One is out of rotation and it seems the other was not even wanted in the first place, which makes me wonder, why the hell did they trade for him. Based on all this, I am not dissapointed, as I didn't really expect much more. My whining is focused on the summer failures. I see the on court result as just a consequence of that.
[-] The following 6 users Like omahen's post:
  • audiosway, ballsrchr, KillerLeft, Reunion Mav, SleepingHero, Smitty
Like Reply
(03-14-2023, 06:27 AM)omahen Wrote: The solution is not to complain how dead you think the board is. Contribute, write something interesting. For me personally, the overwhelming whining is a thing that is putting me off. Usually by people who complain about Luka complaining Smile 

It seems people built extremely high expectations due to WCF last season. For me personally it was obvious in the summer, the team took a step back due to the failure to resign Brunson, bring in an extra wing. Also the center improvements proved to be a total failure. One is out of rotation and it seems the other was not even wanted in the first place, which makes me wonder, why the hell did they trade for him. Based on all this, I am not dissapointed, as I didn't really expect much more. My whining is focused on the summer failures. I see the on court result as just a consequence of that.

I think your post highlights why this thing is dying.  Nothing makes sense so why contribute anything?

Who wants to contribute anything to something that has moving goal posts or doesnt make sense?

Funny how I am one strike away from being banned here for being reasonable.   This highlights this board.  Nothing is reasonable.
Like Reply
(03-14-2023, 06:27 AM)omahen Wrote: it was obvious in the summer, the team took a step back due to the failure to resign Brunson
Like Reply
It has been a real tough season.  Very little enjoyment for me.    Weirdly, I feel better since the Kyrie trade.  Now, Kyrie complicates things because it is very rarely just basketball with him.  But the talent is clear.    Finding two star level players is the hard part.    Building around two stars is hard, but it is definitely possible with a competent front office.   

The front office just makes odd conflicting moves.   We discussed endlessly they said their plan was to resign Jalen and get a wing, and get better rebounding and rim protection.  Well they lost Jalen and didn't backfill with a player who could do some of what Jalen did.  They didn't find a wing and struck out big time trying to upgrade their defense and rebounding.  Same thing at the deadline.    They don't move Wood and then immediately start playing him 15-20 minutes a night after the deadline.    They appear to have a roster without a PF or C (Maxi being the exception but coming off injury and Wood who they appear are not fans of).    Could they not even find a 20 minute per game PF to at least even out the roster a bit at the deadline?
[-] The following 6 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • audiosway, ballsrchr, F Gump, KillerLeft, Reunion Mav, rocky164
Like Reply
(03-14-2023, 06:27 AM)omahen Wrote: The solution is not to complain how dead you think the board is. Contribute, write something interesting. For me personally, the overwhelming whining is a thing that is putting me off. Usually by people who complain about Luka complaining Smile 

I guess I'm one of those who had high expectations for this year.  I was confounded how the Mavs lost Brunson.  In truth...I believe Brunson had made up his mind very early to leave.  I try not to whine.  It's just a simple fact that something has to change.  Fan of the Mavs for ?...43 years so I doubt that I'll be going anywhere.  But then I was also a long term fan of the Cowboys--now I'm not...  

(03-14-2023, 07:11 AM)dynamicalVoid Wrote: I think your post highlights why this thing is dying.  Nothing makes sense so why contribute anything?

Who wants to contribute anything to something that has moving goal posts or doesnt make sense?

Funny how I am one strike away from being banned here for being reasonable.   This highlights this board.  Nothing is reasonable.

I hope we keep this board alive.  It's up to us.  Yeah...there was some unreasonable nit picking along the way, but that is the way of forums all over the internet.

One strike away?  I don't see that.  I think that was spoken in jest.  And if it's true that there is no moderator with super moderator capabilities--no one will be banned.  Actually I did get a soft strike (so to speak) along the way.  I was wrong.  I apologized.  We went on.  This is the internet.  Just let it roll off your back...

(03-14-2023, 07:54 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: It has been a real tough season.  Very little enjoyment for me.    Weirdly, I feel better since the Kyrie trade.  Now, Kyrie complicates things because it is very rarely just basketball with him.  But the talent is clear.    Finding two star level players is the hard part.    Building around two stars is hard, but it is definitely possible with a competent front office.   

The front office just makes odd conflicting moves.   We discussed endlessly they said their plan was to resign Jalen and get a wing, and get better rebounding and rim protection.  Well they lost Jalen and didn't backfill with a player who could do some of what Jalen did.  They didn't find a wing and struck out big time trying to upgrade their defense and rebounding.  Same thing at the deadline.    They don't move Wood and then immediately start playing him 15-20 minutes a night after the deadline.    They appear to have a roster without a PF or C (Maxi being the exception but coming off injury and Wood who they appear are not fans of).    Could they not even find a 20 minute per game PF to at least even out the roster a bit at the deadline?

I also feel better after the Kyrie trade.  Weirdly is the right word, because I was against the trade.  Unfortunately Kyrie has a habit of taking time off when he feels like it...for whatever reason.  Not as bad as the prima donna Khawi, but noticeable.  Can the front office keep Kyrie?  I doubt it, but we will see.  Competent front office?  We will need to see about that as well.

I agree with the rest of your post.  And there were numerous opportunities, though the cost was high.  The cost has been higher not to make these moves.

This place is only as dead as we make it. The Cuban era has been bad, for the most part, but the Mavs will rebound--some day.  I plan on being here when they do.
[-] The following 2 users Like ballsrchr's post:
  • Reunion Mav, SleepingHero
Like Reply
I hope you guys keep posting your ideas and comments about the mavs. I've been reading your post since the Fish and Dlords era. I really enjoyed visiting this forum, even though I'm not a U.S. native, I've been a mavericks fan since the day I was able to afford internet (since cable here was so expensive).
[-] The following 3 users Like DLK41's post:
  • ballsrchr, Reunion Mav, SleepingHero
Like Reply
mavsluvr, Kamm, DanS, Killer, F Gump and cow have all kind of vanished or are posting wayyyyyyy less and I don't think people understand how much their work propped this board up.

I've kind of stepped back because work has gotten crazy but even when I come back there's not a lot to respond to because those were the ones who were putting out really interesting thoughts on a regular basis.  There's still a decent number of good posters here but I'm worried that we're kind of below the threshold of people that are required to keep the conversation constantly going.  Might end up checking out what the Discord is all about but will always check in here to see what kind of discussion is happening to see if it picks back up.

For the folks who have been around since the yuku/db.com days it's really sad to see.  This place was always the best Mavs discussion, plenty of people who really understood how this league works and didn't get sucked into ESPN/Reddit narratives.  I hope folks didn't take that for granted.
[-] The following 5 users Like StrandedOnBeauboisHill's post:
  • ballsrchr, BigDirk41, Knutsen, Reunion Mav, SleepingHero
Like Reply
I think we're at a weird inflexion point for the board. A combination of people getting burnt out, a team that isn't much fun to root for at the moment (whether it be bad coaching, unpleasant basketball, or a front office hellbent on making the same mistakes we've seen for a decade), and life stuff hitting others is all combining to cause less activity.

I don't think any of these are a bad things individually. It's natural. We're all diehard fans and we all just want to watch the Mavs do well, and when things aren't going well it's harder to make topics. I appreciate everyone posting everyday, but don't try to force stuff if the creative juices aren't flowing. Even if the conversation is a little less right now, I still think it's good and high quality. Just on a smaller scale Smile 

It's also to be said a healthy chunk of posters migrated over to discord and aren't posting here. Usually when other great posters took a break it wasn't noticed too much given we had a healthy 20-30 people posting a couple of things a day. Now? We're down to maybe 7-9. That's a big drop off. In any case, I think once Luka and Kyrie come back from injury and this team finishes out the season I think activity will gradually come back since there'll be more to talk about.

Anyways, thanks to every single member for being apart of this boat and for caring. Hopefully we see some good Mav action on the horizon.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 2 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • ballsrchr, Reunion Mav
Like Reply
(03-14-2023, 11:32 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: I think we're at a weird inflexion point for the board. A combination of people getting burnt out, a team that isn't much fun to root for at the moment (whether it be bad coaching, unpleasant basketball, or a front office hellbent on making the same mistakes we've seen for a decade), and life stuff hitting others is all combining to cause less activity.

I don't think any of these are a bad things individually. It's natural. We're all diehard fans and we all just want to watch the Mavs do well, and when things aren't going well it's harder to make topics. I appreciate everyone posting everyday, but don't try to force stuff if the creative juices aren't flowing. Even if the conversation is a little less right now, I still think it's good and high quality. Just on a smaller scale Smile 

It's also to be said a healthy chunk of posters migrated over to discord and aren't posting here. Usually when other great posters took a break it wasn't noticed too much given we had a healthy 20-30 people posting a couple of things a day. Now? We're down to maybe 7-9. That's a big drop off. In any case, I think once Luka and Kyrie come back from injury and this team finishes out the season I think activity will gradually come back since there'll be more to talk about.

Anyways, thanks to every single member for being apart of this boat and for caring. Hopefully we see some good Mav action on the horizon.

excuse my ignorance, but how does the discord work with this site?   I see an icon when I view the Mavs section here to the right.   It is labeled General-Mavs.   I don't believe I ever signed up for anything, but I may be mistaken.   It appears to be one chat based thread.  Is that the Discord site and is it tied to this website?
Like Reply
Its all fake.

Hypothetically...I bet if I decided to find a new team to watch, lets say its universally understood as the best run team in the NBA...I bet that whole team would nose dive and start making decisions like the Mavs that didnt make sense for no apparent reason.   I would assume its some reverse psychology trick that isnt working or this is all a fake reality with its mission to cause me to react.

Regardless...nothing is making sense...so why do anything.  Its nothing but deep rabbit holes trying to justify things that dont make sense...and that only benefits slave drivers.
Like Reply
(03-14-2023, 11:46 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: excuse my ignorance, but how does the discord work with this site?   I see an icon when I view the Mavs section here to the right.   It is labeled General-Mavs.   I don't believe I ever signed up for anything, but I may be mistaken.   It appears to be one chat based thread.  Is that the Discord site and is it tied to this website?

We initially created the discord to just be used instead of game threads. Some more discord savvy users set it up and Clutch Dirk found a plug in for the forum to put it on the front page when the site was just getting started.

Eventually the discord transformed from just a game chat to what it is now and just took a life on it's own. There is one chat based thread called General-Mavs and instead of individual topics, it's just one endless stream of conversation. You do need a discord account and an invite to the the discord to begin chatting, but the icon on the front page allows you to see what people are talking about. 

Discord is a separate entity and isn't tied to this site besides the plug-in that Clutch set up. I've been talking with cjeter and SBJ and there is a way to create "threads" more like a regular forum (in case we all want to migrate over), but it isn't exactly the same. It's close though...

Still, its the same familiar faces talking Mavs and I like to pop in there from time to time.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • Reunion Mav
Like Reply
(03-14-2023, 11:53 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: We initially created the discord to just be used instead of game threads. Some more discord savvy users set it up and Clutch Dirk found a plug in for the forum to put it on the front page when the site was just getting started.

Eventually the discord transformed from just a game chat to what it is now and just took a life on it's own. There is one chat based thread called General-Mavs and instead of individual topics, it's just one endless stream of conversation. You do need a discord account and an invite to the the discord to begin chatting, but the icon on the front page allows you to see what people are talking about. 

Discord is a separate entity and isn't tied to this site besides the plug-in that Clutch set up. I've been talking with cjeter and SBJ and there is a way to create "threads" more like a regular forum (in case we all want to migrate over), but it isn't exactly the same. It's close though...

Still, its the same familiar faces talking Mavs and I like to pop in there from time to time.

Great.  Thanks for the explanation.
Like Reply

Nobody is complaining or whining. I'm just calling it like I see it. This is a discussion board and while we all have different opinions, I respect that even if I don't necessarily agree with it. There's a reason for activity declining here, I'm just trying to find out why.
Like Reply
(03-14-2023, 12:17 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: Nobody is complaining or whining. I'm just calling it like I see it. This is a discussion board and while we all have different opinions, I respect that even if I don't necessarily agree with it. There's a reason for activity declining here, I'm just trying to find out why.

Who wants to discuss something when there are no rules to the game?

The game is going to zig if you zag.

The non-stats guys dont want to read lengthy posts by some stat/analytics guy about how some player that cant dribble a basketball makes sense.  Its an on-purpose rabbit hole to cause you to react.  It doesnt make sense and the "stat" guy knows it.  There is way too much of that here.

Plus...who wants to watch or discuss a team that allows a professional bball player to launch shots whenever he pleases and never be benched or have any repercussions?  It doesnt make sense.  These NBA coaches supposedly make good money...yet can allow bad mistakes a 6th grader knows better than?   But...you have guys trying to justify it AT LENGTH here even though they knows it doesnt make sense.  Its to cause a reaction...its not real and not good convo and not worth partaking in. 

Bad step back 3s at the end of every quarter?  Those cant go away?  The coach cant make them stop?  Makes a lot of sense.   But....you have posters here defending it AT LENGTH when they know its bad basketball.  Its fake and to cause a reaction.

Luke or Dinwiddie dribbling the air out of the ball for 22 seconds is good basketball?  But you have posters defending it AT LENGTH when they know it doesnt make sense.  Its fake.  Its not good discussion and the posters defending it know it.  Its to cause reaction not because this is real.

Cant draft or pick up players that have NBA average fundamentals?  Makes sense.   But posters on here defend it AT LENGTH to cause a reaction.   Its not worth partaking in.

Its all a lie.  They "system" isnt smart enough to figure it out without hurting or lying to others.
Like Reply
(03-14-2023, 12:28 PM)dynamicalVoid Wrote: Who wants to discuss something when there are no rules to the game?

The game is going to zig if you zag.

The non-stats guys dont want to read lengthy posts by some stat/analytics guy about how some player that cant dribble a basketball makes sense.  Its an on-purpose rabbit hole to cause you to react.  It doesnt make sense and the "stat" guy knows it.  There is way too much of that here.

Plus...who wants to watch or discuss a team that allows a professional bball player to launch shots whenever he pleases and never be benched or have any repercussions?  It doesnt make sense.  These NBA coaches supposedly make good money...yet can allow bad mistakes a 6th grader knows better than?   But...you have guys trying to justify it AT LENGTH here even though they knows it doesnt make sense.  Its to cause a reaction...its not real and not good convo and not worth partaking in. 

Bad step back 3s at the end of every quarter?  Those cant go away?  The coach cant make them stop?  Makes a lot of sense.   But....you have posters here defending it AT LENGTH when they know its bad basketball.  Its fake and to cause a reaction.

Luke or Dinwiddie dribbling the air out of the ball for 22 seconds is good basketball?  But you have posters defending it AT LENGTH when they know it doesnt make sense.  Its fake.  Its not good discussion and the posters defending it know it.  Its to cause reaction not because this is real.

Cant draft or pick up players that have NBA average fundamentals?  Makes sense.   But posters on here defend it AT LENGTH to cause a reaction.   Its not worth partaking in.

Its all a lie.  They "system" isnt smart enough to figure it out without hurting or lying to others.

So...

Tell me about your childhood.
[-] The following 3 users Like DallasMaverick's post:
  • ItsGoTime, KillerLeft, StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply
(03-14-2023, 02:32 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: So...

Tell me about your childhood.

Youre not smart enough to not be scum
Like Reply
(03-14-2023, 11:53 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: We initially created the discord to just be used instead of game threads. Some more discord savvy users set it up and Clutch Dirk found a plug in for the forum to put it on the front page when the site was just getting started.

I signed up for discord awhile back, but for some reason I can't sign in now.  I don't like to chat during a game.  Being old and semi-senile I can't keep up with the game if I'm talking to some one else.  It's either watch the game--or chat.  I used to have that little icon that showed some chats, but I reloaded my OS a couple of days ago...and it's not there any more.

The point is--I can't use a chat program during a game.  I would hate to see everyone migrate from here to there.  I wonder if that would feel kind of like--Fish...
[-] The following 1 user Likes ballsrchr's post:
  • dirkfansince1998
Like Reply
(03-14-2023, 04:59 PM)ballsrchr Wrote: The point is--I can't use a chat program during a game.  I would hate to see everyone migrate from here to there.  I wonder if that would feel kind of like--Fish...

Hey I much rather prefer the classic style of forums to discuss the Mavs too!

Was merely pointing out that it's a possibility to rejoin most of the former community together all in discord and have threads that are similar to the forum style so everyone gets a little bit of something.

Of course that hasn't ever been seriously discussed and isn't even close to being a real thing. Was just throwing it out there as a possibility. 

Regarding being locked out of Discord, it's real easy to make a new account. Just need a new email+password to sign up and boom you're in. If you want to recover your old account, you just need to remember the email you used to sign up with and Discord should send you instructions to get you back in.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • dirkfansince1998
Like Reply
Rarely missed a game. Even during the worst pre Luka seasons. But I only watched one out of the last five games.

Just super depressing to watch the Mavs right now. Bad times when the Mavs are worse than my own "Negative Nancy" predictions from last summer. But for me that´s more of a side story. It´s not like I ever expected fundamental changes but I used to have a glimmer of hope that at some point lack of success would trigger changes and a new approach when it comes to management and roster building. Not anymore. The last offseason was the final nail in the coffin.
Like Reply