Poll: Who gets the Dirkie?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Green (+18, 5 pts, 5 rbd, 2 ast, 1 stl)
0%
0 0%
Bullock (+17, 15 pts, 3 rbd, 5-10 from 3!)
10.00%
2 10.00%
Kyrie (+15, 40 pts, 4 rbd, 6 ast, 3 stls, 68% FG)
55.00%
11 55.00%
Luka (+20, 42 pts, 4 rbd, 12 ast, 1 stl 59% FG)
30.00%
6 30.00%
Maxi (-3, 9 pts, 6 rbd, 3 ast)
0%
0 0%
THJ (-21, 8 pts, 2 rbd, 1 ast)
0%
0 0%
Wood (-21, 10 pts, 2 rbd)
0%
0 0%
Diamond Powell (+26, 4 pts, 4 rbd, 1 ast, 3 stls, 1 blk)
5.00%
1 5.00%
Total 20 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 64 DIRKIE: Kyrie Wins! (55%)
https://twitter.com/dallasmavs/status/16...OIr6QtAAAA
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
Wow what a win. 

The Mavs make history by marking the first time 2 players put up 40+ point performances in the same game. This is literally the dream supporters of the Kyrie trade believed in when the Mavs made the deal. The offense between the two was electric. The shots were falling, Kyrie was dazzling, and Luka was dominating. 

To cast my Dirkie vote early in my rant, I decided to go with Kyrie, as he put up one of the most efficient 40 point games I've ever seen, while also managing to pick his spots to allow Luka to operate. 

Giving credit where credit is due, Luka was fantastic tonight. He dialed back on the complaining, he was locked in on defense the majority of the time, and he relentlessly picked apart the 76ers. He was a monster. When his 3pt shot is falling there is no better player in the league. I also want to highlight that Luka pushed the pace well tonight, and picked his spots. Sure he had a couple of bad shots and turnovers, but overall a remarkable game by The Don. 

This team is a different animal when they are hitting their threes. Bullock, Luka, and Kyrie seemingly couldn't miss from 3, with everyone else that played (sans Holiday and Green) putting in at least 2 from downtown. That kind of hot shooting is what decimates teams and turns a 4 point lead at the half into a 25 point lead in 1 quarter.

With that being said, it's quite remarkable PHI kept it a game with the Mavs shooting it that way. It speaks to the Mavs defense (which I didn't think was that bad tonight), that they still manage to have a close game coming down in the 4th despite putting up 55% FG and 52% 3pt FG as a team. PHI shot incredibly well themselves (58/45/83 as a team). No lead is safe anymore in the NBA. I think Kidd should spray paint this slogan in the Mavs locker room as it feels like this team has a tendency to let up on the gas after they go up big, allowing teams to come storming back with all the momentum. The big thing that stands out is the lack of FT consistency. 66% as a team with 9 missed freebies. Make half of those and this game is put away a lot earlier I feel. 

Powell wasn't too bad tonight, although he got expectedly bullied by Embiid. I didn't expect Powell to stop him at all, which goes to show my expectations of the guy. Maxi on the other hand I felt played Embiid as well as he could given the circumstances. His defense really is the oil that makes the gears turn. I almost voted him for Dirkie just for that. 

Green had some terrible mistakes early on in the 4th that gave PHI all the momentum and Kidd pulled him understandably. What I found surprising was that Kidd actually put Green back in to close the game. That to me was a great move and I commend Kidd for trusting Green to come back in. 

All in all, the Mavs took down one of the hottest teams in the NBA tonight. PHI was 28-9 since December 5th and look like a top contender. They took care of business and I hope they can build off of this win.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 3 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • ballsrchr, HIMAV, Smitty
Like Reply
Diamond led the team in +/- and had a staggering 47 point delta from Wood/THJ.
[-] The following 2 users Like cow's post:
  • DallasMaverick, Tyler
Like Reply
(03-03-2023, 01:21 AM)cow Wrote: Diamond lead the team in +/- and had a staggering 47 point delta from Wood/THJ.

I expect a vote for him now  Big Grin
Like Reply
Voted for KI, but was glad to see Luka reign in the bitching and play with some more pace when they were able to get a few stops.
Like Reply
Kyrie. Double 40 games from teammates are very rare, it's hard to look up on google even but from what I can tell I'm not sure it's even been done 20 times in NBA history. It's time to end the narrative that Luka and Kyrie can't play together and realize Kidd has been more of the problem
Like Reply
(03-03-2023, 02:05 AM)MrGoat Wrote: Kyrie. Double 40 games from teammates are very rare, it's hard to look up on google even but from what I can tell I'm not sure it's even been done 20 times in NBA history. It's time to end the narrative that Luka and Kyrie can't play together and realize Kidd has been more of the problem

I don't think anyone was seriously saying Luka+Kyrie couldn't play together. If anything all of their losses fell to reasons outside of them as an offensive duo, and more to not doing the little things like defending, closing out possessions, taking smart shots, etc.

Mavs are a wing and a center away from being a legit contender.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • omahen
Like Reply
(03-03-2023, 02:08 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: I don't think anyone was seriously saying Luka+Kyrie couldn't play together. If anything all of their losses fell to reasons outside of them as an offensive duo, and more to not doing the little things like defending, closing out possessions, taking smart shots, etc.

Mavs are a wing and a center away from being a legit contender.

Well, not here. I've seen some really stupid narratives about them when I go into spaces that have fans of other teams. Kyrie being able to get his own 40 when Luka got a 40 himself is just spectacular though so he got my vote. First time that's ever happened in Mavs history (dual 40+s)
Like Reply
I don't need to say anything.  SleepingHero said it already.  Kyrie gets my Dirkie.
Like Reply
Luka and Kyrie deserve it but I went with Luka for only getting beat the traditional way instead of out of position complaining.  DP honorable mention for keeping Embiid under 100.
Like Reply
(03-03-2023, 01:19 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Wow what a win. 

The Mavs make history by marking the first time 2 players put up 40+ point performances in the same game. This is literally the dream supporters of the Kyrie trade believed in when the Mavs made the deal. The offense between the two was electric. The shots were falling, Kyrie was dazzling, and Luka was dominating. 

To cast my Dirkie vote early in my rant, I decided to go with Kyrie, as he put up one of the most efficient 40 point games I've ever seen, while also managing to pick his spots to allow Luka to operate. 

Giving credit where credit is due, Luka was fantastic tonight. He dialed back on the complaining, he was locked in on defense the majority of the time, and he relentlessly picked apart the 76ers. He was a monster. When his 3pt shot is falling there is no better player in the league. I also want to highlight that Luka pushed the pace well tonight, and picked his spots. Sure he had a couple of bad shots and turnovers, but overall a remarkable game by The Don. 

This team is a different animal when they are hitting their threes. Bullock, Luka, and Kyrie seemingly couldn't miss from 3, with everyone else that played (sans Holiday and Green) putting in at least 2 from downtown. That kind of hot shooting is what decimates teams and turns a 4 point lead at the half into a 25 point lead in 1 quarter.

With that being said, it's quite remarkable PHI kept it a game with the Mavs shooting it that way. It speaks to the Mavs defense (which I didn't think was that bad tonight), that they still manage to have a close game coming down in the 4th despite putting up 55% FG and 52% 3pt FG as a team. PHI shot incredibly well themselves (58/45/83 as a team). No lead is safe anymore in the NBA. I think Kidd should spray paint this slogan in the Mavs locker room as it feels like this team has a tendency to let up on the gas after they go up big, allowing teams to come storming back with all the momentum. The big thing that stands out is the lack of FT consistency. 66% as a team with 9 missed freebies. Make half of those and this game is put away a lot earlier I feel. 

Powell wasn't too bad tonight, although he got expectedly bullied by Embiid. I didn't expect Powell to stop him at all, which goes to show my expectations of the guy. Maxi on the other hand I felt played Embiid as well as he could given the circumstances. His defense really is the oil that makes the gears turn. I almost voted him for Dirkie just for that. 

Green had some terrible mistakes early on in the 4th that gave PHI all the momentum and Kidd pulled him understandably. What I found surprising was that Kidd actually put Green back in to close the game. That to me was a great move and I commend Kidd for trusting Green to come back in. 

All in all, the Mavs took down one of the hottest teams in the NBA tonight. PHI was 28-9 since December 5th and look like a top contender. They took care of business and I hope they can build off of this win.

Good point on Green.  It was certainly understandable if he was not put back in the game.  But I liked that they did.   Did they do this because Hardaway came out with an injury?  They mentioned this on the tv.    I could see certain situations where Hardaway closes some games, but I want Green for the most part.  It is a great learning experience and he can help.  I certainly don't want to see Holliday in the closing lineups.
Like Reply
(03-03-2023, 08:19 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Good point on Green.  It was certainly understandable if he was not put back in the game.  But I liked that they did.   Did they do this because Hardaway came out with an injury?  They mentioned this on the tv.    I could see certain situations where Hardaway closes some games, but I want Green for the most part.  It is a great learning experience and he can help.  I certainly don't want to see Holliday in the closing lineups.

Yeah THJ heading to the locker room for seemingly no said reason was a bit concerning. Especially coming directly after Wood heading to the locker room for a brief moment after getting pulled against the Pacers.

There hasn't been any mention of injury though. Maybe THJ just went back to get taped up? Something to keep an eye on....

I actually don't mind Holiday closing the lineup. Despite his bad shooting the last 3 games, he is basically Bullock-lite right now. He actually is a solid defender and doesn't make many mistakes (besides a super egregious one against the Pacers giving up a dunk to Haliburton that still enrages me).

(03-03-2023, 06:48 AM)ballsrchr Wrote: I don't need to say anything.  SleepingHero said it already.  Kyrie gets my Dirkie.

I still like to read your thought process for dirkie's though!
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • ballsrchr
Like Reply
https://streamable.com/vacdeu
[-] The following 2 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • Hypermav, Tyler
Like Reply