Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.91 Average
Trade & FA 2023-24: OKC The Favorite For Nic Claxton Should He Leave BRK
(03-23-2024, 11:22 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: @TheDunkCentral

“I feel so sometimes like I’m in a Reggie Bullock role getting graded on a Spencer scale sometimes.”

- Spencer Dinwiddie on his new role

Spence throwing shade at a former teammate again.

I don’t even get what he is trying to say?
Like Reply

“I feel so sometimes like I’m in a Reggie Bullock role getting graded on a Spencer scale sometimes.”

After crowing about how LA was such a great place to be, now he is facing the reality of being way down the pecking order, where your game looks like crap. No rhythm. No assurance you get shots. Very limited role. A lot of standing in the corner to get a bailout pass. Being a FA this summer, he's already regretting what he's done to the perception of his ability to contribute.
[-] The following 7 users Like F Gump's post:
  • BigDirk41, From Dirk to Luka, KillerLeft, MFFL, michaeltex, RoyTarpleysGhost, SleepingHero
Like Reply

The lesson, as usual after a lot of hype, 90% of the buyouts won´t contribute anything.
[-] The following 3 users Like Mavs2021's post:
  • BigDirk41, DallasMaverick, From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
(03-23-2024, 04:03 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: The lesson, as usual after a lot of hype, 90% of the buyouts won´t contribute anything.

I disagree. Spencer isn't washed like this. 

I think FGump (btw welcome back!) makes an astute point. I am sure Dinwiddie thought the glitz and glamour of LA with their intense media coverage would've been a perfect spot for his penchant for highlight reels and hot shooting. The media would've been all over him and he could've built the most value for himself as an upcoming FA.

I mean if he was doing what D'Lo was doing right now, playing a major role in LA's fight for the playoffs, he could be assured a contract from some team this offseason for a hefty amount.

But he's basically been relegated to a Reggie role. Sit in the corner, wait your turn behind the King and Brow, and play defense. Obviously not suited to Dinwiddie's game whatsoever. Dinwiddie probably didn't see this coming given how desperate LA was for a point guard in February. Now he's sitting back and mad that his value is diminished more than ever and he chose poorly.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
Eh, Dinwiddie is right, it's a different role for him. It didn't sound like he was complaining, he was just explaining that people are unfairly judging his production with the Lakers in comparison to the player he's been elsewhere but with all of LA's scorers, he's more of a "Reggie Bullock"-type of role player on that team. He wasn't taking a shot at Bullock, he was actually pretty complimentary. The full quotes for context:

https://www.latimes.com/sports/newsletter/2024-03-21/lakers-newsletter-spencer-dinwiddie-wild-postgame-comments-lakers

Quote:“Yeah of course. I think, to be completely candid, the best team I was on, so far, the farthest I’ve gone was conference finals with Dallas. We had a guy that started for us, Reggie Bullock. He would pick up 94, sometimes he’d go 0-for-3, sometimes he’s three-for-three from three or whatever. One of the things he talked about was just giving that effort, picking up 94 regardless. Obviously, I don’t necessarily pick up 94. But when you talk about plus/minus, impacting and he helped us a lot. He did the sacrificial things on that team that allowed Luka and myself and Jalen to have fun and basically just ISO everybody every play. And you know, he may or may not touch it for five times in a row. Same way with the Dorian Finney-Smith’s of the world and Maxi Kleber and Dwight Powell’s. Those types of guys are what make a team really special. Obviously, you do need the generational LeBron, Luka-level talent. But after that, you are going to need, whether it’s four-through-15 or three-through-15 to be like just locked in, focused, dedicated to the goal. Dot connectors. Sacrificial in mindset and nature. And it doesn’t mean ‘not aggressive.’ It just means like, ‘Hey, you may have to swing-swing and give up one of your looks.’ You may only shoot four times. But if you can continue to try to take charges, try to be in the right position, all of this stuff, you guys can go far.”

(Let’s jump in here — Dinwiddie is articulating the value of role players to winning. A job he hasn’t really had.)

“Like I said, it is technically foreign for me from what I’ve done in my career. I feel so sometimes like I’m in a Reggie Bullock role getting graded on a Spencer scale sometimes. Where as on a Reggie Bullock scale — no shot, again, that’s my dog, like I said, he was great for us — I feel like I’m doing really well. On a Spencer scale, obviously, I’m doing [poor]. But like, I’m also not in that Spencer position either, you feel me? I came here understanding some of that was going to happen, right? I’m in good spirits and a good space. I wish we would’ve won a couple more games that we dropped. But overall, the house isn’t on fire in my mind. If you gave me 20 attempts or whatever, I’d go out there and score 30. Like, as y’all have seen throughout my career, that’s not lacking anything. You’d see more dunks and step-back threes and all the other fun stuff you’re accustomed to seeing from me.”
[-] The following 5 users Like SwisherPrice's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, Jmaciscool, Knutsen, mvossman, Not an evil robot
Like Reply
(03-22-2024, 10:11 AM)mvossman Wrote: They paid three firsts for him. I doubt the price will be much less than that. We would have to send everything we have

Instead of sending everything you have... you could send Kyrie for Dejounte and get a first back.... which you then attach to THJ, and get something better than THJ back (such as Grimes and Fontecchio). 

Wheelin' and dealin' to get better and younger.

G: Dejounte, Exum
G: Grimes, Green, Hardy
F: Luka, Fonte, DJJ
F: PJ, Kleber, O-Max
C: Lively, Gafford

I'm going to keep re-posting this lineup in the hope that Nico Harrison is browsing through this forum looking for answers to the test. Tongue
Like Reply
(03-23-2024, 04:56 PM)SwisherPrice Wrote: Eh, Dinwiddie is right, it's a different role for him. It didn't sound like he was complaining, he was just explaining that people are unfairly judging his production with the Lakers in comparison to the player he's been elsewhere but with all of LA's scorers, he's more of a "Reggie Bullock"-type of role player on that team. He wasn't taking a shot at Bullock, he was actually pretty complimentary. The full quotes for context:

https://www.latimes.com/sports/newsletter/2024-03-21/lakers-newsletter-spencer-dinwiddie-wild-postgame-comments-lakers

Thanks for posting, that context helps a lot
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jmaciscool's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
(03-23-2024, 10:58 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: https://twitter.com/realjackfrye/status/...8349519986

@realjackfrye
Tim Hardaway Jr liked a comment on the Mavs instagram that says “Trade Hardaway…"

If that is not sarcastic and this whole strange slump is really the result of him not being traded, then I´d just throw him out of the rotation and play Hardy all his minutes.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mavs2021's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/MavsFilmRoom/status/...7631220005

Mavs Film Room ??
@MavsFilmRoom
Bruce Brown has not been playing well for the Raptors at all, but I think that can be attributed to the team tanking. Certainly a name to monitor heading into the offseason

Brown is going to be really interesting what happens to him this summer. He has proven to be a good role player on a good team. He hasn't really played well in Toronto. His contract can be picked up for 20 million. Tough to match that and also get a semi good asset in return. Are there many solid 20 million expiring that are on the market? Plus, they probably want a first. Might be a tricky match if Toronto wants to get an expiring back. Is it worth it to take on more years for a average first round pick if you are Toronto?

DFS too. Although, I could see plenty of good teams offering at least a first (especially in this draft) to get another 3 and D wing.
Like Reply
(03-24-2024, 09:01 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: https://twitter.com/MavsFilmRoom/status/...7631220005

Mavs Film Room ??
@MavsFilmRoom
Bruce Brown has not been playing well for the Raptors at all, but I think that can be attributed to the team tanking. Certainly a name to monitor heading into the offseason

Brown is going to be really interesting what happens to him this summer.  He has proven to be a good role player on a good team.  He hasn't really played well in Toronto.  His contract can be picked up for 20 million.  Tough to match that and also get a semi good asset in return.  Are there many solid 20 million expiring that are on the market?  Plus, they probably want a first.  Might be a tricky match if Toronto wants to get an expiring back.  Is it worth it to take on more years for a average first round pick if you are Toronto?

DFS too.  Although, I could see plenty of good teams offering at least a first (especially in this draft) to get another 3 and D wing.

First of all, I want to keep the team together that means to re-sign DJJ, and just make the best 58th pick possible.

Nevertheless, since we start the FA game early, I glanced over the list.

Interesting realistic names to me are

Gary Harris
Jordan Nwora
Kris Dunn

Club/Player Options to trade for THJ.

I´d at least call the Bulls and ask about Lonzo straight up. Low risk, high reward. Pistons liked THJ, so maybe Fournier is an option. Unfortunately no information on the date of his team option. Might be an option to dump salary and acquire 1-2 second rounders.  Maybe Kennard is an option, too.

Under contract to trade for THJ.

Actually nothing that pops.

Honestly I would be all over Jordan Nwora. Perfect replacement for THJ. 6´8 SG/SF. 

Proven in FIBA that he can ball as a #1 option. If you can score in FIBA with the tougher rules and do it as the main defensive focus, you are at least a useful NBA player. Especially if you have already proven that some of your skills translate to the NBA. 

In Nwora´s case, he´s a 38% career 3pt shooter, with two seasons over 40%. Best small sample size was in Indiana at 13/5/2 shooting 47/42/71 (career avg. 80% FT). 

25 years old. Fits the Luka timeline and no imminent threat to un-settle our rotations. I´d just send him a tape of THJ missing all the wide open threes off Luka/Kyrie and tell him: $16M p.a. waiting on your next contract, if you can knock them down.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mavs2021's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
Ive thought about buying low on Lonzo but never brought it up on here because I figured the idea might not be smart.

Just saw an article saying he expects to play next year. Wasnt there just a report like 2 months ago saying he still having set backs and cant even run yet?
Like Reply
Jordan Nwora... someone actually thinks he's the answer... seriously?

Sometimes, I feel like Mavericks fans deserve the owner they have. I.E., Cuban and not the Adelsons, in case there's any confusion about who I mean.

It's almost like full representation with full taxation. The people deserve their king.
Like Reply
(03-24-2024, 03:07 PM)RGP1981 Wrote: Jordan Nwora... someone actually thinks he's the answer... seriously?

Sometimes, I feel like Mavericks fans deserve the owner they have. I.E., Cuban and not the Adelsons, in case there's any confusion about who I mean.

It's almost like full representation with full taxation. The people deserve their king.

You’re being incredibly rude to a well thought out post. He listed players that are very realistic options to go after based on their current status and Hardaways value of an asset. He gave very obvious reasoning and didn’t act like Nwora would be some huge piece of this franchise but would be a nice low risk high reward move that wouldn’t rock the boat and give us a look at a young guy who may still have room to grow, all of which I agree with.

You, on the other hand, continue to float the idea of trading our clear cut second star to Luka who has become a great locker room presence and playing awesome and two guys who are not available. The horse you’ve been beating has been killed three times over and you continue to ignore the fact that the Pistons just traded their most valuable assets for these two guys without any draft capital attached to them so they are clearly not going anywhere.

You’re posting about fantasy worlds in a Mavs forum. I greatly appreciated what Mavs2021 had to say.
[-] The following 5 users Like StrandedOnBeauboisHill's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, Jmaciscool, KillerLeft, MFFL, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(03-24-2024, 03:58 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: You’re being incredibly rude to a well thought out post. He listed players that are very realistic options to go after based on their current status and Hardaways value of an asset. He gave very obvious reasoning and didn’t act like Nwora would be some huge piece of this franchise but would be a nice low risk high reward move that wouldn’t rock the boat and give us a look at a young guy who may still have room to grow, all of which I agree with.

You, on the other hand, continue to float the idea of trading our clear cut second star to Luka who has become a great locker room presence and playing awesome and two guys who are not available. The horse you’ve been beating has been killed three times over and you continue to ignore the fact that the Pistons just traded their most valuable assets for these two guys without any draft capital attached to them so they are clearly not going anywhere.

You’re posting about fantasy worlds in a Mavs forum. I greatly appreciated what Mavs2021 had to say.

Fair enough. I didn't consider how rude my post may have been, and for that I apologize.

Still I find it incredible to think about offering Jordan Nwora $16m per year... and that you think this is a good or well-thought out idea.

Are you two related to Jordan Nwora? Or friends of his? Lol.
Like Reply
(03-24-2024, 06:10 PM)RGP1981 Wrote: Fair enough. I didn't consider how rude my post may have been, and for that I apologize.

Still I find it incredible for anyone to think about offering Jordan Nwora $16m per year... and that you think this is a good or well-thought out idea.

Are you two related to Jordan Nwora? Or friends of his? Lol.

Didn’t improve your tone at all.

He said 16M on the next contract if he could take advantage of the opportunity. We wouldn’t have a contract like that to throw around in free agency.
[-] The following 4 users Like StrandedOnBeauboisHill's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, Jmaciscool, MFFL, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(03-24-2024, 03:58 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: You’re being incredibly rude to a well thought out post. He listed players that are very realistic options to go after based on their current status and Hardaways value of an asset. He gave very obvious reasoning and didn’t act like Nwora would be some huge piece of this franchise but would be a nice low risk high reward move that wouldn’t rock the boat and give us a look at a young guy who may still have room to grow, all of which I agree with.

Thanks. You said that much nicer than I would have. Big Grin 

Funny enough I have been stanning for Quentin Grimes long before he was even a board member. Every Julius Randle trade had Grimes attached. Tongue 

Also his career numbers are virtually identical to Nwora´s numbers across the board. Grimes is two years younger and a superior defender though. Unfortunately that ship has sailed the moment the Pistons acquired him. They are not giving him up in RFA and he´ll probably get close that $16M range.

I assume Nwora will have to settle for something around the BAE with potential to earn. It´s about showing him a pathway to his next contract.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mavs2021's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
(03-23-2024, 04:56 PM)SwisherPrice Wrote: Eh, Dinwiddie is right, it's a different role for him. It didn't sound like he was complaining, he was just explaining that people are unfairly judging his production with the Lakers in comparison to the player he's been elsewhere but with all of LA's scorers, he's more of a "Reggie Bullock"-type of role player on that team. He wasn't taking a shot at Bullock, he was actually pretty complimentary. The full quotes for context:

Spencer delivered as a starter yesterday, helping the Lakers win their shootout with the Pacers with 26 points on 8 of 11 shooting and 5 assists.
Like Reply
(03-25-2024, 01:35 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Thanks. You said that much nicer than I would have. Big Grin 

Funny enough I have been stanning for Quentin Grimes long before he was even a board member. Every Julius Randle trade had Grimes attached. Tongue 

Also his career numbers are virtually identical to Nwora´s numbers across the board. Grimes is two years younger and a superior defender though. Unfortunately that ship has sailed the moment the Pistons acquired him. They are not giving him up in RFA and he´ll probably get close that $16M range.

I assume Nwora will have to settle for something around the BAE with potential to earn. It´s about showing him a pathway to his next contract.

Haha, welcome to the Grimes to Mavs fan club. Big Grin

Is he really someone who the Piston wouldn't give up? They have Cade, Ivey and Ausar for 2G + 1F spot. BBREF tells me Grimes has only played 115 minutes for the Pistons since the trade. They also just lost Bogdan and Burks as their veteran presence. So who knows? They might be interested in trading Grimes + Fonte for the veteran leadership of Tim Hardaway Jr and a FRP. That's what I'm choosing to believe anyway... glass half-full here. Tongue
Like Reply
(03-25-2024, 07:11 AM)RGP1981 Wrote: Haha, welcome to the Grimes to Mavs fan club. Big Grin

Is he really someone who the Piston wouldn't give up? They have Cade, Ivey and Ausar for 2G + 1F spot. BBREF tells me Grimes has only played 115 minutes for the Pistons since the trade. They also just lost Bogdan and Burks as their veteran presence. So who knows? They might be interested in trading Grimes + Fonte for the veteran leadership of Tim Hardaway Jr and a FRP. That's what I'm choosing to believe anyway... glass half-full here. Tongue

He’s only played that much because he’s been hurt, I would suggest you follow along. They just lost Bojan* and Burks IN ORDER TO GET GRIMES. You are just so out of your depths it’s hilarious.

If I said the Mavs should still be trying to get OG Anunoby I’d sound kind of like I don’t understand this league at all, wouldn’t I?
[-] The following 2 users Like StrandedOnBeauboisHill's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, omahen
Like Reply
(03-25-2024, 07:25 AM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: He’s only played that much because he’s been hurt, I would suggest you follow along. They just lost Bojan* and Burks IN ORDER TO GET GRIMES. You are just so out of your depths it’s hilarious.

If I said the Mavs should still be trying to get OG Anunoby I’d sound kind of like I don’t understand this league at all, wouldn’t I?

The ignore function is very handy.
[-] The following 3 users Like mvossman's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, MFFL, StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply