Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.91 Average
Trade & FA 2023-24: OKC The Favorite For Nic Claxton Should He Leave BRK
(02-15-2024, 03:54 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: @esidery
The Lakers view Trae Young as a third star who can help push for a championship now, but also bridge the gap to the future for a new era alongside Anthony Davis, per
@jovanbuha
(https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/th...58187061?i=1000645477613).

Young, who is also represented by Klutch Sports, is likely going to be Los Angeles’ No. 1 trade target this offseason.

Los Angeles can trade upwards of three first-round picks and four swaps this offseason.

Young is an awful player. Me first
[-] The following 1 user Likes GATA's post:
  • The Jom
Like Reply
(02-15-2024, 03:54 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: @esidery
The Lakers view Trae Young as a third star who can help push for a championship now, but also bridge the gap to the future for a new era alongside Anthony Davis, per
@jovanbuha
(https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/th...0645477613).

Young, who is also represented by Klutch Sports, is likely going to be Los Angeles’ No. 1 trade target this offseason.

Los Angeles can trade upwards of three first-round picks and four swaps this offseason.

This has got me thinking.

AD is 30yo, Kyrie is 31yo. If the Lakers want someone to create a new era alongside AD, then Kyrie could fit their purposes instead of Trae?

So as much as I like Kyrie and his game, I would be open to trading him to LA in return for a player and some of those picks and swaps... and then use those picks/swaps to upgrade at SG in a separate deal.

For example:

Mavs get: Dejounte + Vassell
Lakers get: Kyrie
Atlanta get: Reaves + Lakers pick
Spurs get: filler + Lakers picks/swaps (from Mavs) or Mavs own picks/swaps

G: Dejounte (27) | Exum (28)
G: Vassell (23) | Hardy (21)
F: Luka (24) | Green (23) | DJJ? (26)
F: PJ (25) | Kleber (32) | O-Max (21)
C: Lively (20) | Gafford (25)

I think this levels up the Mavericks roster considerably. It also seems like wins for ATL and LAL. The Spurs get more picks to build around Wemby.

So everyone wins.
Like Reply
(02-16-2024, 07:28 AM)RGP1981 Wrote: This has got me thinking.

AD is 30yo, Kyrie is 31yo. If the Lakers want someone to create a new era alongside AD, then Kyrie could fit their purposes instead of Trae?

So as much as I like Kyrie and his game, I would be open to trading him to LA in return for a player and some of those picks and swaps... and then use those picks/swaps to upgrade at SG in a separate deal.

For example:

Mavs get: Dejounte + Vassell
Lakers get: Kyrie
Atlanta get: Reaves + Lakers pick
Spurs get: filler + Lakers picks/swaps (from Mavs) or Mavs own picks/swaps

G: Dejounte (27) | Exum (28)
G: Vassell (23) | Hardy (21)
F: Luka (24) | Green (23) | DJJ? (26)
F: PJ (25) | Kleber (32) | O-Max (21)
C: Lively (20) | Gafford (25)

I think this levels up the Mavericks roster considerably. It also seems like wins for ATL and LAL. The Spurs get more picks to build around Wemby.

So everyone wins.

Why would the spurs want picks over their second best young player?
Like Reply
(02-16-2024, 09:00 AM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: Why would the spurs want picks over their second best young player?

Ionno but I think Vassell could be a good fit next to Luka, so I brought his name up. He does not seem like all-star or star material but a good all-round player. Since he's not a star, I'm just wondering if the Spurs might be open to the possibility of trading him for more bites at the apple to find a star to put next to Wemby.
Like Reply
(02-16-2024, 05:24 AM)omahen Wrote: More or less the same as Lakers three first round picks. We will see if they succeed in Trae sweepstakes

Grant is a better player, imho. Much better. I like PJ, the problem will be if he is not good enough for Mavs to really contend.

Given Lebron is 40 and Luka 25 I'm thinking the LA picks are probably worth more than Mavs.

Jerami is a better offensive player than PJ, but I'm not sure he could (or more importantly would) play defense like what we saw from PJ these last three games.  Part of it is attitude.  PJ really wants to be here and will do what he needs to in order to fit in.  Grant seems like a guy who wants the ball in his hands.

I agree that we probably need to upgrade the starting lineup to be true contenders.  We have both been on that page for a while.  On the other hand, this is the deepest team we have ever had, without any glaring weaknesses (which we have never been able to say in the Luka era).  They are probably not good enough defensively, but if PJ continues to play this level of defense and we get quality POA defense from Green or Exum, I think this team has a puncher's chance.
Like Reply
(02-16-2024, 11:48 AM)mvossman Wrote: I agree that we probably need to upgrade the starting lineup to be true contenders.  We have both been on that page for a while.  On the other hand, this is the deepest team we have ever had, without any glaring weaknesses (which we have never been able to say in the Luka era).  They are probably not good enough defensively, but if PJ continues to play this level of defense and we get quality POA defense from Green or Exum, I think this team has a puncher's chance.

As with any trade deadline acquisition, this isn't going to reach peak level this season. It's just not. But, with a training camp and more chemistry, I feel the team could be a contender next year, basically as is. It will require Jason Kidd to hold his end of the deal up, and it will require progress from some of the young players, but mostly, they just need more games, a training camp and then even more games to learn how to win.
[-] The following 5 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • DallasMaverick, From Dirk to Luka, MarkAguirreWrathofGod, mvossman, rocky164
Like Reply
(02-16-2024, 05:24 AM)omahen Wrote: More or less the same as Lakers three first round picks. We will see if they succeed in Trae sweepstakes

Lakers three first rd picks + being a destination > Mavs three first rd picks.

76ers have a bunch of picks; more than Mavs 

Knicks have a bunch of picks; more than Mavs

OKC had a ton of oicks

Mavs would be behind in the pecking order for available stars compared to all these teams. I’m probably not mentioning a couple of teams too.

(Utah has a bunch of picks but no one wants to go to Utah. Debatable on San Antonio)
Like Reply
(02-16-2024, 12:16 PM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: Lakers three first rd picks + being a destination > Mavs three first rd picks.

OKC had a ton of oicks

Mavs would be behind in the pecking order for available stars compared to all these teams. I’m probably not mentioning a couple of teams too.

(Utah has a bunch of picks but no one wants to go to Utah. Debatable on San Antonio)

The thinking is (and we've witnessed evidence of this at the trade deadline) that the player getting transferred has more agency in the decision than we used to believe as fans. You acknowledge as much with the Lakers "being a destination." 

I don't think team "pile assets" has the impression that the Mavs should be able to outbid anyone, exactly, but it would be nice if they were at least able to cobble together a real offer if someone great WANTED to come here to play with Luka, because I swear that's going to happen, eventually. 

Having said that, they did what they did, so it's time to root for this team and hope for the best. I certainly won't cry about the Mavs missing out on Trae Young, lol.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
(02-16-2024, 12:22 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: The thinking is (and we've witnessed evidence of this at the trade deadline) that the player getting transferred has more agency in the decision than we used to believe as fans. You acknowledge as much with the Lakers "being a destination." 

I don't think team "pile assets" has the impression that the Mavs should be able to outbid anyone, exactly, but it would be nice if they were at least able to cobble together a real offer if someone great WANTED to come here to play with Luka, because I swear that's going to happen, eventually. 

Having said that, they did what they did, so it's time to root for this team and hope for the best. I certainly won't cry about the Mavs missing out on Trae Young, lol.

Missed out on Siakam and OG so I was fine going with a lesser player like PJ 
No one else is really sticking out to me as a summer target to use multiple assets on 
Maybe we can get Thybulle for next to nothing this summer to help with the perimeter defense
[-] The following 2 users Like Jym's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(02-16-2024, 07:28 AM)RGP1981 Wrote: This has got me thinking.

No wonder why the media covers the Lakers 24/7, its an epidemic of people wanting to help their team.

Kyrie is by far and away the best player in that deal. The Mavs are willingly upgrading the Lakers roster for role players and picks.

I just posted a stat of how the Mavs have had the NBA's best offense AND best defense when Luka and Kyrie are on the floor together. Why are we trying to break up that duo for spare parts and hope?

Don't get me wrong, cashing in on Kyrie for 3 firsts and some young guys isn't a horrible idea logically, but in terms of fielding the most competitive basketball team it's folly. The Mavs aren't even getting picks in your hypothetical though, so it makes even less sense. 

I'm so against the Lakers that even if they were to offer 10 FRP and all their young guys for Kyrie I still wouldn't do it just because I want to see that franchise crash and burn and have them fade away into obscurity for 5-10 years like they were at the last year of Kobe until Lebron.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 3 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • DallasMaverick, From Dirk to Luka, MFFL
Like Reply
Not counting draft trades like Luka……

The Mavs Kyrie trade is looking like one of the best trades over the last 10 years for any team. To get a player of his caliber for a single 1st…….what a steal. Not only that, but he signed for less than max
[-] The following 3 users Like Jason Terry's post:
  • DallasMaverick, From Dirk to Luka, Radical Mavs
Like Reply
(02-16-2024, 12:16 PM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: Lakers three first rd picks + being a destination > Mavs three first rd picks.

OKC had a ton of oicks

These are just excuses. The small market Milwaukee has no problems getting great players.
Like Reply
(02-16-2024, 01:05 PM)Jason Terry Wrote: Not counting draft trades like Luka……

The Mavs Kyrie trade is looking like one of the best trades over the last 10 years for any team. To get a player of his caliber for a single 1st…….what a steal. Not only that, but he signed for less than max

He went public with a couple of very unpopular opinions about the earth's shape, and a movie that had some antisemitic stuff, and then refused to get the COVID vaccine and missed a bunch of games.

So suddenly he's a really bad guy and the public hates him. He's not performing for them.

But he kinda doesn't care what the public thinks.  He's more of a team guy, who values the relationships he has with peers and teammates.

So Dallas did their homework, realized he'd thrive better in the right-leaning Metroplex anti-vaxx environment, and bought low.  And he was happy to escape the drama and hatred of NYC.  And his ego isn't huge, so he's happy to play whatever role the team needs him to play, and accept a little more team-friendly contract. Win-win.

This is why guys with non-basketball-related off-court issues intrigue me.  Public perception can be so incredibly negative, and management can feel compelled to divest themselves, no matter how paltry the return.  And sometimes the player can clean up their act, stay out of the spotlight, and become a productive contributor.  And over time, the public forgives and forgets the seedy past, and embraces a player who's giving them what they want.  Win-win.
[-] The following 5 users Like DallasMaverick's post:
  • F Gump, From Dirk to Luka, khaled1987, Radical Mavs, Smitty
Like Reply
(02-16-2024, 01:05 PM)Jason Terry Wrote: Not counting draft trades like Luka……

(02-16-2024, 01:32 PM)omahen Wrote: These are just excuses. The small market Milwaukee has no problems getting great players.

The Doncic-Irving duo, like the Doncic-Brunson and Nowitzki-Nash duos of yore, is something to continue building around, not toss aside or break up to support the Lakers/ESPN/Stephen A. Smith world view.
[-] The following 3 users Like WildArkieBoy's post:
  • F Gump, From Dirk to Luka, rocky164
Like Reply

OKC had a ton of oicks

Knicks are struggling with injuries but it is still amazing they turned Barret, Quickly, Grimes and spare parts into OG, Bogdanvich, Precious and Burks.   Bogdanovich is guaranteed 2 million next year and is expiring.  So that could be a valuable asset if they want a star.  Zach Lowe said they have 8 first round picks to trade.   They are really set up well.
Like Reply
PLAYER           2023/24           2024/25            2025/26            2026/27            2027/28
Jerami Grant $27,586,207     $29,793,104      $32,000,001      $34,206,898      $36,413,790 (Player Option)

Even if Jerami Grant was a lot better than PJW, I personally take the PJW deal 10 out of 10 times even if Grant cost the exact same as what the PJW deal was. This contract is insane. He is about to be 30 next month and when he's 34 he will be paid $36.4m. Pretty much 0% chance he declines that PO. Would be another cap anchor to deal with.

PJW still has room for growth so theres a chance to get great value for his contract. This is a young team. Also if PJW fails for whatever reason, there's an opportunity in a few years for OMax to take over. PJW looks fine as is anyhow.

Also can't forget, Denver had Grant in his prime and let him go cause he wanted too much money and thought he was a star. They got Aaron Gordon for assets but has a much more manageable cap number and went with him and MPJ as big wings and won a championship. Even with the cheaper deals Denver is still losing high value roleplayers cause of the cap and they're weaker this year than last.
Like Reply
(02-16-2024, 12:57 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I'm so against the Lakers that even if they were to offer 10 FRP and all their young guys for Kyrie I still wouldn't do it just because I want to see that franchise crash and burn and have them fade away into obscurity for 5-10 years like they were at the last year of Kobe until Lebron.

I do not mean to sound like Dr. Phil... but this right here sounds like your actual issue? You hate the Lakers so much and care more about any potential benefits for LAL, but not the the potential pitfalls of the deal to LAL? More importantly, you aren't first thinking about how such a deal might benefit the Mavs more than anyone else.

Don't be a fox with sour grapes bro. The Lakers have had nothing to do with the Mavericks' past misfortunes.
Like Reply
(02-16-2024, 12:22 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: The thinking is (and we've witnessed evidence of this at the trade deadline) that the player getting transferred has more agency in the decision than we used to believe as fans. You acknowledge as much with the Lakers "being a destination." 

All four situations I mentioned are more attractive than the Mavs. How many players want to come to Dallas vs NY, LA, or Philly?

Thats why I put Utah and maybe San Antonio in the less attractive category.

(02-16-2024, 01:32 PM)omahen Wrote: These are just excuses. The small market Milwaukee has no problems getting great players.

Yeah…that’s working out really great getting a guy who wanted to be in Miami. Milwaukee probably closed their window shut going all in one guy in his 30s.
Like Reply
(02-16-2024, 04:04 PM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: All four situations I mentioned are more attractive than the Mavs. How many players want to come to Dallas vs NY, LA, or Philly?

Someone will. It will happen when the old guard stars are all gone and Luka is at the top.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply
Yes, but we are talking about this summer. 5 or 6 stars would have to become available by the time we got to the Mavs.

Just so we can empty the assets on a non difference maker like Jerami Grant. I feel like no one has watched him play in years or doesn’t understand the thinking these guys have. People talk about Jordan Poole and Kuzma but Dejounte Murray and Jerami Grant are the same dudes. They’d rather score 25 than play defense. The days of them playing defense so they could make it are long gone. Jrue Holiday is an outlier.

As suspect as I am about PJ Washington, the good thing is he’s not good enough to not try on defense.
[-] The following 4 users Like RoyTarpleysGhost's post:
  • F Gump, From Dirk to Luka, MarkAguirreWrathofGod, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply