Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.91 Average
Trade & FA 2023-24: OKC The Favorite For Nic Claxton Should He Leave BRK
(02-14-2024, 05:33 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: FWIW, here's what Stein wrote today on the subject.  (emphasis added was mine):

"Kuzma was the Mavericks’ top trade deadline target. The Wizards wanted two first-round picks in any Kuzma deal. When the teams’ Kuzma talks fizzled, they pivoted to a Daniel Gafford-to-Dallas trade that netted Washington a first-round pick in the upcoming June draft via Oklahoma City."

Carry on.

I am just guessing but I would guess it was two firsts, Williams, Holmes for Kizma and Gafford.  Two firsts for Kuzma I don’t think the Wizards GM turns that down or thinks of that offer as below value imo.  I think those two firsts would have brought both.  That is just a guess though.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • MFFL
Like Reply
(02-14-2024, 06:46 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: I am just guessing but I would guess it was two firsts, Williams, Holmes for Kizma and Gafford.  Two firsts for Kuzma I don’t think the Wizards GM turns that down or thinks of that offer as below value imo.  I think those two firsts would have brought both.  That is just a guess though.

That would suggest kuz and PJ had the same market value, and I don’t think that was the case. My guess is our pick was probably more protected than it ended up being
Like Reply
(02-14-2024, 06:46 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: I am just guessing but I would guess it was two firsts, Williams, Holmes for Kizma and Gafford.  Two firsts for Kuzma I don’t think the Wizards GM turns that down or thinks of that offer as below value imo.  I think those two firsts would have brought both.  That is just a guess though.

I’d also like to guess that it was Grant Williams, Holmes, Morris and two firsts for Avjida, Gafford, Kuzma, and 5 firsts back from Washington. And that Washington ALMOST did the deal, but backed out at the last minute because the owner’s wife had indigestion the night before the deal, which put her husband in a bad mood the following day, and in his conversation with the GM on the phone, he burped funny, causing his GM to get cold feet.

This demonstrates, without a doubt, the incredible, uncanny wisdom and resourcefulness of Nico, Lindsey, and Mark.

Any questions?
[-] The following 1 user Likes DallasMaverick's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
(02-14-2024, 07:01 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: I’d also like to guess that it was Grant Williams, Holmes, Morris and two firsts for Avjida, Gafford, Kuzma, and 5 firsts back from Washington. And that Washington ALMOST did the deal, but backed out at the last minute because the owner’s wife had indigestion the night before the deal, which put her husband in a bad mood the following day, and in his conversation with the GM on the phone, he burped funny, causing his GM to get cold feet.

This demonstrates, without a doubt, the incredible, uncanny wisdom and resourcefulness of Nico, Lindsey, and Mark.

Any questions?

That is not enough coming back to justify taking on Kuzma, sorry. If the Mavericks were about to make that deal, they are idiots.
Like Reply
(02-14-2024, 05:37 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: The information everybody’s talking about post-dates that info by a couple of days. Still have to choose to believe it, of course, but both Kuzma and Windhorst are basically saying there was an agreed upon deal, whereas is that older Stein info makes it seem like the Mavs walked away over price. It seems pretty clear that that is not what happened.

At the end of the day, I’m just glad I don’t have to watch Kuzma play for the Mavericks.

Is it older?  Maybe you are right, but it came in an email from Stein this afternoon.

Some of the reporting had the Wiz GM being underwhelmed by the Mav's offer.  But rather than turn it down flat, he went to Kuzma and asked him what he wanted to do.  I'm not sure we can jump to a conclusion that it was a simple GWill/Holmes and two picks offer just because Windy speculates that it was.  Given how creative the FO has been, I'd almost assume that's the one thing it probably wasn't...meaning I'd assume more complexity that that.  

Don't really care and don't have a dog in this hunt (other than to agree with those who wonder why some have to always assume the worst about the team every chance they get).  I'm very pleased with the deal they did do and added the quote to the discussion because I know that not everyone is a subscriber.
[-] The following 4 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • BigDirk41, DallasMaverick, F Gump, From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
(02-14-2024, 07:51 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Is it older?  Maybe you are right, but it came in an email from Stein this afternoon.

I don’t know about the email you’re referring to, but it’s almost exactly the wording that was used in stein‘s hour long radio show last Saturday. I suspect what you got was a repackage of it, but don’t know for sure.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan
Like Reply
I think this front office has shown they value getting getting multiple benefits out of a pick. They probably had two picks on the table for kuzma plus X which was slightly more than the straight 2 picks for kuzma that they were asking for. That's the only reason Wiz office "asked" Kuzma if he wanted to be traded since it was an underwhelming deal for them. If it was what they were asking for then Kuzma would have been traded; if they truly valued Kuzma's desire to stay put they wouldn't have dangled him in the first place.

Bottom line, though is impossible to know for sure, I highly doubt an offer of 2 picks for Kuzma (without anything else) was ever available unless Nico had Donnie Nelson filling in for him at the negotiating table.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jmaciscool's post:
  • MFFL
Like Reply
I have a hard time getting pissy at the FO now for what we think they might have done. For several years with Donnie I was critical of what they actually did do, but the results of this FO look pretty good from where I sit. I frequently complained about the gaps in the roster, but now I really have no complaints about that now. I like the personnel. They made a mistake with Grant and then fixed it. The FO did what I hoped they would do.

We don't actually know if we've overpaid for sure, but if we overpaid for something we badly needed, I'm OK with that. The roster on the floor now looks like some thought went into the construction.
[-] The following 5 users Like Winter's post:
  • DallasMaverick, From Dirk to Luka, MarkAguirreWrathofGod, Scott41theMavs, The Jom
Like Reply
(02-14-2024, 05:06 PM)WillE Wrote: No one reported, that this would have been the offer.

My point is, that I think the FO already did enough to deserve more credit.

It's just tiring to constantly read so much negativity based on premature conclusions.

I hear you can get a cream to help with premature conclusions.... Cool
Like Reply
@esidery
The Lakers view Trae Young as a third star who can help push for a championship now, but also bridge the gap to the future for a new era alongside Anthony Davis, per
@jovanbuha
(https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/th...0645477613).

Young, who is also represented by Klutch Sports, is likely going to be Los Angeles’ No. 1 trade target this offseason.

Los Angeles can trade upwards of three first-round picks and four swaps this offseason.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(02-15-2024, 03:54 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: @esidery
The Lakers view Trae Young as a third star who can help push for a championship now, but also bridge the gap to the future for a new era alongside Anthony Davis, per
@jovanbuha

Young, who is also represented by Klutch Sports, is likely going to be Los Angeles’ No. 1 trade target this offseason.

Los Angeles can trade upwards of three first-round picks and four swaps this offseason.

This summer is going to be absolutely bonkers imo.   Funny how the Lakers went from a team with no first round picks to trade to potentially having 3 to trade this offseason.  Philly has 50 million in cap space plus 5 first round picks (I heard that on a podcast).  There are going to be a ton of teams looking to be aggressive this offseason imo.   I am not sure how many true stars are going to be available either.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
@TheDunkCentral
“New Orleans has to make a decision between Zion and Ingram. I think that happens this summer.” ?

- Eastern Conference exec
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
From Sam Quinn, Warriors beat writer:

Warriors offseason plan according to Joe Lacob:

Our Plan 1, or 1A, is that we'd like to be out of the tax, and we think that we have a way to do that," Lacob explained. "That kind of is the plan, not just under the second apron. I'll tell you why that's important because the truth is, we need to be out of the tax two years out of the next four in order to get this repeater thing off our books. We don't want to be a repeater. It's just so prohibitive, not to say we wouldn't do it if we had to, but you've gotta look at what the downside is to doing that. So, that's the plan, is to try to do that, and we think we can keep our team together and retain even the players that are, we might be able to bring players back at different numbers and so on."
Like Reply
(02-15-2024, 03:54 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: @esidery
@jovanbuha

Trey is fun to watch, but I doubt he ever wins a title as small as he is and how terrible he is as a defender. I hope the Lakers get him Big Grin
[-] The following 3 users Like BigDirk41's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, MFFL, The Jom
Like Reply
(02-15-2024, 06:53 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: Trey is fun to watch, but I doubt he ever wins a title as small as he is and how terrible he is as a defender. I hope the Lakers get him Big Grin

I agree, only I hope the Spurs get him. I’m more worried about Wembanyama than Day-to-Davis.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • RasheedsBigWhiteSpot
Like Reply
(02-15-2024, 05:35 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: This summer is going to be absolutely bonkers imo.   Funny how the Lakers went from a team with no first round picks to trade to potentially having 3 to trade this offseason.  Philly has 50 million in cap space plus 5 first round picks (I heard that on a podcast).  There are going to be a ton of teams looking to be aggressive this offseason imo.   I am not sure how many true stars are going to be available either.

Yeah I was just thinking about that earlier. Not sure how much currency the Mavs three first rd picks would’ve had this summer. Might have been the reason they decided to make some moves now.
[-] The following 2 users Like RoyTarpleysGhost's post:
  • BigDirk41, MFFL
Like Reply
(02-15-2024, 10:40 PM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: Yeah I was just thinking about that earlier. Not sure how much currency the Mavs three first rd picks would’ve had this summer. Might have been the reason they decided to make some moves now.

Yeah, I mean knowing what we know now, would you rather have PJ for one pick and GW gone (rumours that Charlotte had wanted him previously) or possibly get in a bidding for someone like Jerami Grant this summer who makes more than twice as much, really seems to needs the ball and to shoot a lot and cost at least two first round picks? Seen in this light, PJ is a relative bargain!
Like Reply
(02-15-2024, 06:14 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: @TheDunkCentral
“New Orleans has to make a decision between Zion and Ingram. I think that happens this summer.” ?

- Eastern Conference exec
I don’t believe this for one second. It makes no sense. McCollum is much older than these guys. It would make sense if he was moved

Hypothetically though, if they were to be so stupid……They’ve been looking for a center. Gafford would make some sense

Mavs get: Ingram

Pels get: Gafford
Omax
THJ
25 1st
26 pick swap
31 1st
Like Reply
(02-15-2024, 10:40 PM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: Yeah I was just thinking about that earlier. Not sure how much currency the Mavs three first rd picks would’ve had this summer. Might have been the reason they decided to make some moves now.
We wouldn’t have had enough assets. I think it will prove to be the right move once we see how crazy the summer will be. 

Not only that, but by moving early we have the guys we want for THIS season too

Theres no way we(or most other contenders) have enough to beat an OKC offer if they really want a guy. There has to be some sort of market consequence of 75% of all picks being held by 11 teams
Like Reply

More or less the same as Lakers three first round picks. We will see if they succeed in Trae sweepstakes

(02-16-2024, 12:02 AM)MarkAguirreWrathofGod Wrote: Yeah, I mean knowing what we know now, would you rather have PJ for one pick and GW gone (rumours that Charlotte had wanted him previously) or possibly get in a bidding for someone like Jerami Grant this summer who makes more than twice as much, really seems to needs the ball and to shoot a lot and cost at least two first round picks? Seen in this light, PJ is a relative bargain!

Grant is a better player, imho. Much better. I like PJ, the problem will be if he is not good enough for Mavs to really contend.
Like Reply