Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.91 Average
Trade & FA 2023-24: NOP Will Not Give Ingram an Extension
I know Lively is not untradeable, but it is really reassuring when looking at other teams boards about trades. For instance, someone mentioned Lively in a package for Siakam and all the Toronto fans say the Mavs aren't trading Lively. Nice feeling to have.
[-] The following 4 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • F Gump, Jmaciscool, RasheedsBigWhiteSpot, The Jom
Like Reply
I already feel like the Mavs need a Marcus Smart type guy that can provide some juice and even talk back to Luka.

Wiggins is the exact opposite of that. He’s like Josh Green. I’m gonna be depressed if we get him. No more milk drinkers. Mavs are lacking in Xdawg.
[-] The following 2 users Like RoyTarpleysGhost's post:
  • BigDirk41, F Gump
Like Reply
@esidery
The Nets are open to moving Dorian Finney-Smith ahead of the trade deadline, per
@MikeAScotto
(https://hoopshype.com/lists/nba-trade-de...s-pistons/).

Brooklyn is targeting the equivalent of two first-round picks in exchange for Finney-Smith.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(01-12-2024, 04:21 PM)F Gump Wrote: No.

The contract is a deal-killer for me because imo the impact of $25M/year of bad contract (that's what he is, right now) will prevent the Mavs from doing the needed roster building to improve this team. There's not really any way to erase that unless you get players making nothing but worth $25M. A couple of scrub picks doesn't change that, and it will be years before those picks become valued players, most likely.

But there's also the issue that the Mavs need to add BETTER players to their mix. Right now, is Wiggins (with his level of play) really someone you'd want to give minutes to? I don't see anything in what he's doing that would be a plus.

And I'm not sold on the idea that it will change. Part of my issue is that when I look back through his history, not sure he's worth this contract EVER. He had one "good" year in a contract year, and even then the numbers seem to indicate he was just a so-so player in the middle of some high level talent, filling a hole and being valued because of it.

Again all fair points. I feel like we're very much aligned on Wiggins although I think him at his best is the ideal 3 we want. But like you said his history shows he's basically never at his best and he's always overpaid.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(01-12-2024, 03:44 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I don't think I'm quite there with your evaluation of Wiggins relative cost if his game were to bounce back. I think he'd easily be worth his contract. The question is the likelihood and we've seen years and years of Wiggins collecting a paycheck and putting up empty stats.

So I agree, I'm totally out on Wiggins and his deal.

I suppose a better question is, what would it take from GSW (or maybe a 3rd team?) for you to accept Wiggins contract? What if he came with 2 firsts?

I'd say it depends.  It isn't a hill I want to die on.  I mentioned high risk/high reward already.  I'd differ from FG in that the contract spread is what matters to me.  Yes, Wiggins has the potential to be a bad contract.  But it isn't like Holmes/GWill are fantastic contracts.  We get nothing from Holmes and if Wiggins did nothing but match GWill at a net cost of $30mm over the next 3 years, then I'm willing to engage in a conversation about what you'll pay me to take that risk.

Two firsts?  GS isn't giving two unprotected firsts to swap Wiggins for GWill and I'm not taking protected firsts for the risk.  Even if it were a single unprotected or Top 3 protected pick, GS can't send that until 2026.  That doesn't help me unless I'm sending it somewhere else (so I need to know that deal)  

Kuminga?  That starts to get interesting.  Would you as the owner write a $30mm check to get a player with his youth and upside?  Teams pay $20mm for late first round picks.  But you have to acknowledge that late first round picks are cost controlled and Kuminga isn't.  Still, where else are you getting such an asset?  That interests me.  

I've thought about Moody and like his D, but I think I can find him for less than $30mm.   If they add Trace Jackson-Davis?

I think GS needs to move off of bad salary more than we need to avoid it.  Wiggins is a risk, but there is still a player in there.  Who knows if it can be unlocked here.  I'd be willing to talk about it, but it would cost more than they want to give and I'd rather have a player today than a pick down the road.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • The Jom
Like Reply
Wendell Carter Jr. is a potential trade candidate, per @JakeLFischer

“Wendell Carter continues to be a name that a lot of league executives talk about as a potential trade candidate this February being that Goga Bitadze has done a phenomenal job starting for Orlando.
Like Reply
The underrated pro move here is THJ to NO for Nance Jr and Lewis Jr.

https://thebirdwrites.com/larry-nance-jr...-pelicans/

https://thebirdwrites.com/making-a-diffe...cond-unit/

https://thebirdwrites.com/is-kira-lewis-...-pelicans/

Unfortunately it will never happen because NO wants to get under the tax and they need to shed $2.9 mil but something similar that gets the Pels a 6th man type could have legs.

Hardy + Kleber gets it done
Like Reply
(01-12-2024, 05:30 PM)vfromlmf Wrote: The underrated pro move here is THJ to NO for Nance Jr and Lewis Jr.

https://thebirdwrites.com/larry-nance-jr...-pelicans/

https://thebirdwrites.com/making-a-diffe...cond-unit/

https://thebirdwrites.com/is-kira-lewis-...-pelicans/

EDIT: I'll add that it will never happen because NO wants to get under the tax and they need to shed $3 mil+ but something similar that gets the Pels a 6th man type could have legs.

Hardy + Kleber get it done

Nance has a terrible season and Lewis is on his way out of the league. If Mavs lost all hope on Maxi I could see sense in it, as Nance expiring will have more value next season, but I would have a hard time giving up on Hardy potential.
Like Reply
(01-12-2024, 04:53 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: @esidery
The Nets are open to moving Dorian Finney-Smith ahead of the trade deadline, per
@MikeAScotto
(https://hoopshype.com/lists/nba-trade-de...s-pistons/).

Brooklyn is targeting the equivalent of two first-round picks in exchange for Finney-Smith.

Not this two FRPs shit again. Who do they think they are, Ainge? Ujiri? PCP is a hell of a drug.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scott41theMavs's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
Warriors remind me of the post championship Mavs. Key guys are old. Franchise player has lost a step. Mavs nearly made another big run in 2014. Warriors had their big moment in 2022.
They are still trying to make win now moves but age and payroll issues lead to a steady decline in overall talent. Feels like they are just delaying the inevitable.
Is there a win now move that can turn things around for them? Enough to overcome the decline of Klay, Draymond, Wiggins and CP3?
Like Reply
(01-12-2024, 06:11 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Not this two FRPs shit again. Who do they think they are, Ainge? Ujiri? PCP is a hell of a drug.

Written like someone who didn't love DFS enough when he was here. I would gladly send 100 late first for him. My only regret is that the Mavs don't possess enough late 1sts to set a record for most late 1sts ever given for a player.
Like Reply
Honestly, DFS is gone for like one calendar year, not even a full season, and it's like people forgot that he's the second or third best Maverick of all time.
Like Reply
@esidery

Pascal Siakam trade update via @wojespn:

- Siakam will have a lot of say on where he goes due to his expiring contract.

- Raptors and Siakam are “nowhere close” on an extension.

- Woj mentions the Pacers as a legitimate threat to sign Siakam to a max contract this offseason.

- Toronto wants Bennedict Mathurin or Jarace Walker in a trade with Indiana, but they’re holding firm on neither one being included because of their upcoming cap space flexibility.

- Warriors are interested in Siakam, but it’s a “difficult pathway” to make it happen due to their long-term payroll ramifications.
Like Reply
@basketballonx

“[Andrew] Wiggins has next to zero value and [Kevon] Looney has next to zero value”

— @WindhorstESPN when discussing how to fix the Warriors
Like Reply
(01-12-2024, 12:33 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: He can walk in the summertime and the Raps have to get something for him in return. I doubt the return is going to be prohibitive for the Mavs at all, and I would assume Ujiri isn't stupid enough to shut down conversations with his most likely trade partner by bringing up Lively.

I forcefully but respectfully disagree.  There are a lot of teams who would like to have Siakam.  He's the only top-40 player in the NBA who's clearly available at this time.  Teams like the Warriors, Hawks, Pacers and Nets can all easily beat our offer.  Masai would bring up Lively then hang up the phone when we said no.  

We might have a chance this summer if Siakam makes it to free agency and determines he wants to be a Maverick.  We'd have some leverage then.   Currently, Toronto has no incentive to accept our best offer which is multiple bad contracts and a 2027 1st.
Like Reply
(01-12-2024, 07:31 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: @esidery

Pascal Siakam trade update via @wojespn:

- Siakam will have a lot of say on where he goes due to his expiring contract.

- Raptors and Siakam are “nowhere close” on an extension.

- Woj mentions the Pacers as a legitimate threat to sign Siakam to a max contract this offseason.

- Toronto wants Bennedict Mathurin or Jarace Walker in a trade with Indiana, but they’re holding firm on neither one being included because of their upcoming cap space flexibility.

- Warriors are interested in Siakam, but it’s a “difficult pathway” to make it happen due to their long-term payroll ramifications.

How does Ujiri get credit for his GM’ing? This is malpractice.
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
Like Reply
(01-12-2024, 08:25 PM)surfpuckmd Wrote: I forcefully but respectfully disagree.  There are a lot of teams who would like to have Siakam.  He's the only top-40 player in the NBA who's clearly available at this time.  Teams like the Warriors, Hawks, Pacers and Nets can all easily beat our offer.  Masai would bring up Lively then hang up the phone when we said no.  

We might have a chance this summer if Siakam makes it to free agency and determines he wants to be a Maverick.  We'd have some leverage then.   Currently, Toronto has no incentive to accept our best offer which is multiple bad contracts and a 2027 1st.

Warriors have worse contracts than Mavs, unless they include CP3 or Thompson (only value for Toronto is that they are expiring). Hawks are rumored to be retooling and rumors are Siakam said he doesn't want to resign with them. Pacers have cap space in the summer and are not interested in giving up anything valuable according to recent reports. This leaves BKN from your list, who were not even rumored to be interested in Siakam.
Like Reply
(01-12-2024, 06:43 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Written like someone who didn't love DFS enough when he was here. I would gladly send 100 late first for him. My only regret is that the Mavs don't possess enough late 1sts to set a record for most late 1sts ever given for a player.

I hope that one day someone will love me as much as you love Dorian Finney Smith.
[-] The following 4 users Like surfpuckmd's post:
  • KillerLeft, Not an evil robot, Scott41theMavs, SweetFidelia
Like Reply
(01-12-2024, 05:51 PM)omahen Wrote: Nance has a terrible season and Lewis is on his way out of the league. If Mavs lost all hope on Maxi I could see sense in it, as Nance expiring will have more value next season, but I would have a hard time giving up on Hardy potential.

With all due respect, this just isn't close.
Like Reply
Just saw that Siakam played HS ball in Lewisville? At God’s Academy? Anybody know how long he was here? Any likely connections that might give us an edge in this recruitment?
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
Like Reply