Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.91 Average
Trade & FA 2023-24: OKC The Favorite For Nic Claxton Should He Leave BRK
NBACentral (@TheDunkCentral)
The belief is that the Clippers are unwilling to meet Paul George's expectations for his next contract, per @PompeyOnSixers

“The Sixers are closely monitoring the situation, hoping the Clippers let George slip away.”

How much money is PG13 asking for that even Balmer is like "thats too much"
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(03-28-2024, 11:17 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: NBACentral (@TheDunkCentral)
The belief is that the Clippers are unwilling to meet Paul George's expectations for his next contract, per @PompeyOnSixers

“The Sixers are closely monitoring the situation, hoping the Clippers let George slip away.”

PG is almost 34 years old and has played 48, 54, 41, 56, 66 (this season) games since 2019. Probably more about the contract length. Still have mixed feelings about Kyrie's contract. PG is two years older and even more injury-prone.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dirkfansince1998's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
My unqualified opinion...

Money matters but I am not focusing on value but on player here...

Assuming these guys are your focus...please look at overall fundamental talent and not just fit. I would hate for the Mavs to give up 2 or 3 heavy minute roll players for a guy that has a glaring flaw.

Paul George. Dont like the age...but I watched him last night briefly(very briefly) and he seems more quick and athletic than PJ but same height. Assuming you were thinking about him but his age was disturbing...would George not be able to play defense for quite a few more years given his size and athletics? I agree with above that he wont have to do as much here because of Luka and Ky. Im curious if age isnt a factor if his role is to play hard defense here. I would still be reluctant to give up 3 role players for him with his age. But I do agree...George would be perfect size wise and two way wise...he doesnt have any glaring flaws at all to his game. The prefect player to add to this team...just wish he was younger.

I have been banging the drum to get a guy like George in here. A proven player with the right size, is a two-way and reliable on offense. Ive been saying to pay up instead of bargain shop for that player. Im reluctant to give up heavy role players and pay him at his age I think. Other than age...he is the prototype we need.
[-] The following 1 user Likes youzigizag's post:
  • Ghost of Podkolzin
Like Reply
IMO, Paul George would be an attempt at jumping the shark. Unlike Fonzie, we'd crash, burn, and be eaten.

PG13 is too old and too injury prone. How many miles are left on an oft-injured, 34yo player who relies on his athletic ability/availability?
[-] The following 2 users Like Ghost of Podkolzin's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, RGP1981
Like Reply
Hold off on trades, pals. Let's see what these fellas can do in April, May and June.

GO MAVS!!!!
Not very astute ^^^^
[-] The following 7 users Like fifteenth's post:
  • DallasMaverick, Ghost of Podkolzin, KillerLeft, MFFL, Scott41theMavs, SleepingHero, Smitty
Like Reply
(03-28-2024, 12:45 PM)Ghost of Podkolzin Wrote: IMO, Paul George would be an attempt at jumping the shark.  Unlike Fonzie, we'd crash, burn, and be eaten.

PG13 is too old and too injury prone.  How many miles are left on an oft-injured, 34yo player who relies on his athletic ability/availability?

I am right there with you.

My issue with George is that he is 34 yet looks quicker, more athletic than PJ right now.

How many years before there is a sharp drop off in defensive ability compared to PJ?  Based on my brief review of George last night...it would seem he would still be serviceable for a few more years only speaking of defense.   But Im not qualified.

Seems like giving up a bunch of youngins for him would be a questionable move.   If there is a hot timeline to win, like within next 2 years, I think you would have to think about it.   But I am not gutting my depth for a guy that could fall off soon.   I would have to have a strong team still intact after the George acquisition or its a no from me.
[-] The following 2 users Like youzigizag's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, Ghost of Podkolzin
Like Reply
(03-28-2024, 10:50 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: To me, the real prize on that list is Thybulle. The fact the Mavs already attempted to sign him is the biggest piece of evidence to me that Nico will try again. Not only is he  cheap enough where can be grabbed for a reasonable package, but he pretty much fills the role we want from Josh Green right now currently. Green is a better player offensively, don't get me wrong. He's one of the most efficient guards in the league. I love Green and have recouped my land I leased out. But Thybulle's defense is a game changer even if he can't score properly. 

The only package that makes sense to me is based around a Thybulle and Green swap, but that feels extremely pricey for the Mavs. If POR gave up maybe GSW 1st that's protected top 4 this year then that really evens out the deal. Not sure why'd they do that though unless they were really high on Green.

I would argue Caruso is much more of a "prize" than Thybulle.  He has at least the same defensive impact and is not nearly the negative on offense Thybulle is.  Defensive impact is a lot more valuable when you don't have to worry about the player getting played off the court offensively (4 on 5).
[-] The following 4 users Like mvossman's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, Ghost of Podkolzin, omahen, surfpuckmd
Like Reply
(03-28-2024, 02:10 PM)mvossman Wrote: I would argue Caruso is much more of a "prize" than Thybulle.  He has at least the same defensive impact and is not nearly the negative on offense Thybulle is.  Defensive impact is a lot more valuable when you don't have to worry about the player getting played off the court offensively (4 on 5).

Caruso has one year left on his contract after this season, so he should definitely be on the market as long as he doesn’t extend. Hopefully for a reasonable price.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Knutsen's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
(03-28-2024, 02:10 PM)mvossman Wrote: I would argue Caruso is much more of a "prize" than Thybulle.  He has at least the same defensive impact and is not nearly the negative on offense Thybulle is.  Defensive impact is a lot more valuable when you don't have to worry about the player getting played off the court offensively (4 on 5).

Caruso is absolutely better. But is Caruso over Thybulle worth what Chicago is asking?

That's why I singled out Thybulle. Thybulle can give 95% of what Caruso can give defensively, maybe 60% on the offensive end, and the Mavs won't have to pay a 1st for the privilege of getting that impact defender.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(03-28-2024, 11:17 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: NBACentral (@TheDunkCentral)

Probably max possible deal, whatever that is. 

If Clippers don't want to pay him that and risk losing him for nothing to Sixers, his price shouldn't be high. Problem is the matching contracts and Clippers unlikely willing to take any trash back (they would rather have imho the TE than paying huge tax for some salaries they don't really want or need). Matching salary would be likely something like THJ, Green and Maxi. I think Clippers would take Green (better than nothing from Philly) and Mavs would need to pay someone (or two teams) to do them the favor and take THJ and Maxi for no salary coming back. That also shouldn't be very costly, one FRP should be more than enough. 

In my view. If George would want to be here, I eat his deal and have a couple of years of serious contention window with Kyrie and him.

The ones posting George injury history. Caruso is also not really mr. Healthy. Never played more than 70 games in his career.
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • MFFL
Like Reply
(03-28-2024, 03:03 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Caruso is absolutely better. But is Caruso over Thybulle worth what Chicago is asking?

That's why I singled out Thybulle. Thybulle can give 95% of what Caruso can give defensively, maybe 60% on the offensive end, and the Mavs won't have to pay a 1st for the privilege of getting that impact defender.

I think that 60% is the difference between a starter and a role player. We have a ton of role players on this team. We need more starter level players.
[-] The following 2 users Like mvossman's post:
  • MFFL, omahen
Like Reply
(03-28-2024, 04:17 PM)mvossman Wrote: I think that 60% is the difference between a starter and a role player. We have a ton of role players on this team. We need more starter level players.

I would argue that the Mavs have six starter-level players right now - Luka, Kyrie, PJ, Exum, Lively, and Gafford. If you view DJJ as non-starter worthy, consider him a DSteve. He is a huge part of the stifling defense of the current starters. 

The improvement to jump to perennial contender level could come from within - OMax replacing DJJ, Party becoming the true sixth man that the Mavs currently lack. 

My biggest surprise in these conversations about next year is how easy everyone all of a sudden makes it sounds to re-sign DJJ.

[-] The following 2 users Like Scott41theMavs's post:
  • SleepingHero, The Jom
Like Reply
(03-28-2024, 10:50 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: . . . To me, the real prize on that list is Thybulle. The fact the Mavs already attempted to sign him is the biggest piece of evidence to me that Nico will try again. . . .

Agree. Just like PJ. Targeted last summer. Retargeted at the trade deadline.
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
Like Reply
(03-26-2024, 01:20 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: And he still isn't better than Kyrie!

Sleepy

Like Reply
(03-28-2024, 12:58 PM)youzigizag Wrote: I am right there with you.

My issue with George is that he is 34 yet looks quicker, more athletic than PJ right now.

How many years before there is a sharp drop off in defensive ability compared to PJ?  Based on my brief review of George last night...it would seem he would still be serviceable for a few more years only speaking of defense.   But Im not qualified.

Seems like giving up a bunch of youngins for him would be a questionable move.   If there is a hot timeline to win, like within next 2 years, I think you would have to think about it.   But I am not gutting my depth for a guy that could fall off soon.   I would have to have a strong team still intact after the George acquisition or its a no from me.

Instead of simply asking "how many years before there is a sharp drop in defensive ability" (which could also drop off at any time TBH)... how about including how much it would cost to pay PG3 too? He's not coming here to play on a PJ level salary. What's the contract going to look like... how much, for how many years, and how are you going to get off it when the drop comes?
Like Reply

This.  Caruso would elevate this team to a top-3 roster in the NBA.  Thybulle does not.  

Caruso is an ideal fit as the third guard on this roster and would immediately make us an above-average defense.  As one of the league's most respected defenders, he's allowed to get away with a lot of contact by the officials as well.  He's absolutely the perfect fit for us.  He's doubled his 3-points attempted this season compared to last and is hitting over 39% from 3.  He can handle the ball a bit and pass.  He is exactly who we should try to acquire this summer.  

Josh Green and a first-round pick would be the offer.  I don't know that Chicago would accept that offer but Caruso does only have one more year on his contract so that cuts his value somewhat.  

I even believe that trading Green for Caruso would decrease our salary this upcoming season a bit.

Alex Caruso is the answer.
[-] The following 1 user Likes surfpuckmd's post:
  • rocky164
Like Reply
(03-29-2024, 07:27 AM)surfpuckmd Wrote: This.  Caruso would elevate this team to a top-3 roster in the NBA.  Thybulle does not.  

Caruso is an ideal fit as the third guard on this roster and would immediately make us an above-average defense.  As one of the league's most respected defenders, he's allowed to get away with a lot of contact by the officials as well.  He's absolutely the perfect fit for us.  He's doubled his 3-points attempted this season compared to last and is hitting over 39% from 3.  He can handle the ball a bit and pass.  He is exactly who we should try to acquire this summer.  

Josh Green and a first-round pick would be the offer.  I don't know that Chicago would accept that offer but Caruso does only have one more year on his contract so that cuts his value somewhat.  

I even believe that trading Green for Caruso would decrease our salary this upcoming season a bit. 

Alex Caruso is the answer.

As you said, Caruso is expiring and Chicago has less leverage. But, unfortunately at least half of league would really love to have a player like Caruso and that will drive his price up. On the other hand the risk of him walking will make everyone think twice about what they are willing to pay for a player that can walk to another team in a year. Unless this player indicates he will sign a contract extension, giving the team security. And here we come to the question, which teams he is willing to sign the extension with. The teams he is willing to sign will offer more, rest will offer less.
Like Reply
(03-28-2024, 04:45 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: I would argue that the Mavs have six starter-level players right now - Luka, Kyrie, PJ, Exum, Lively, and Gafford. If you view DJJ as non-starter worthy, consider him a DSteve. He is a huge part of the stifling defense of the current starters. 

The improvement to jump to perennial contender level could come from within - OMax replacing DJJ, Party becoming the true sixth man that the Mavs currently lack. 

My biggest surprise in these conversations about next year is how easy everyone all of a sudden makes it sounds to re-sign DJJ.

I don’t think you can pencil Exum in as a starter as he seems too fragile to handle starter minutes. DJJ is a quality role player. I go back and forth whether he will go for the tax MLE or the full MLE. Unfortunately right not it looks like it may be the later. Does not mean we couldn’t get him, but it will take some maneuvering.
Like Reply
(03-29-2024, 06:26 AM)RGP1981 Wrote: Instead of simply asking "how many years before there is a sharp drop in defensive ability" (which could also drop off at any time TBH)... how about including how much it would cost to pay PG3 too? He's not coming here to play on a PJ level salary. What's the contract going to look like... how much, for how many years, and how are you going to get off it when the drop comes?

It would be a win within 2 year thing, imo.

I hate the age and not a big fan of that much money...but he is the exact player Dallas needs.   He is tall, long and respected on both ends of the court.  He would be reliable on offense and doesnt have glaring flaws.

My main point is Dallas needs to pay up to get the legit player this team needs.

I like this squad.   You can get lucky with the right eyes looking at value players(Exum, PJ, Hardy) but there will usually just be something missing in those players.   Im kind of over that considering the talent we have started to find and with the Luka clock ticking and Ky clock aging.

No doubt I would prefer a younger player that is tall, long, two-way and reliable on offense.  

Herb Jones is not really a two way

Jaden McDaniels(not on the list, but I have seen conversation on RealGM that he could get squeezed in Minnesota at some point) has a 3 shot but is kind of like DFS on offense dribbling wise.

Thybulle is the youngest of the list guys at 27 other than Victor.   He has bad offense.

Alex Caruso.   Love his defense and he can dribble and facilitate...but that shot is not satisfactory at all.   He is 30.   How long can you play elite defense before falling off or injuries?   I get that he wouldnt be 20M+ risk...but what assets are you giving up to grab him at 30?   Josh Green is 22, plays hard, can hit 3's, can pass...and is working on finishing at basket.   Do you give that up for a marginally better defender because he is considered elite?  I dont know. Seems like a short term upgrade in exchange for long term loss.

Trey Murphey always balls when I see him play and is long.  Dont know his contract or what he will fetch next contract.

I just dont know about risk with the older guys...not my field.   George is probably the best get out of all those guys but will require Max Money and I dont know how many years.

I would look into how gettable McDaniels, Murphy and Jones are first and then inquire about Caruso.  Im sure there are other ballers gettable I just dont have a list
Like Reply
(03-29-2024, 06:16 AM)RGP1981 Wrote: Sleepy

Only took him 44 shots!
[-] The following 2 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, omahen
Like Reply