Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.91 Average
Trade & FA 2023-24: Paul George to Test Free Agency After No Contract Extension
I would read very little into the plus minus of the new guys. A lot of noise.

Frankly Gafford has not been very impactful lately but I don’t care. I want a minimum of 20 minutes a night for him. He has been a good player this year. No reason he can’t find a role and be very productive with a better team. Find what he does well and surround him with guys he does well with.

No one is asking, but in addition to Gafford at 20. I want Lively at least 25. Exum at 20 with him on the floor at all non Luka minutes. Green at 23-27 a night. Throw in high 29’s for PJ. I don’t care with the rest of the wings and THJ but the #s above take priority.
[-] The following 6 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • BigDirk41, From Dirk to Luka, MarkAguirreWrathofGod, Scott41theMavs, SleepingHero, Smitty
Like Reply
(03-05-2024, 04:25 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Frankly Gafford has not been very impactful lately but I don’t care.  I want a minimum of 20 minutes a night for him.  He has been a good player this year.  No reason he can’t find a role and be very productive with a better team.  Find what he does well and surround him with guys he does well with.

Rotflmao at the idea of Kidd knowing how to do this.
[-] The following 2 users Like Scott41theMavs's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, Smitty
Like Reply
(03-05-2024, 04:19 PM)Smitty Wrote: With every stat context matters. The teams they’ve played recently has called for more small ball. Where Maxi plays more 5, Lively and Gafford less. The other 3 players in combination with the 2-man data I shared. It’s all nuanced.

As far as the eye test goes. Maxi doesn’t look like he did even a week ago. Is it because he’s playing 25 minutes a night? I shared the Maxi/Gafford and PJ/Gafford net rating because we all assume Maxi is the better player of PJ/Maxi but when paired with Gafford that isn’t the case.

The whole point was that Powell isn’t even in the same league as the other 3 mentioned, as KL alluded to. And that I think we’ll all be glad Gafford is a Mav when Kleber misses games.

Yes context matters.  Which is why using small sample 2 man lineup data is probably not telling you much.  I mean if net rating is such a useful tool to make these kinds of assessments, then why does Powell have one of the highest net ratings on the team for a much bigger sample of this entire season?  Is he not as bad as folks make him out to be?  Is there some context that makes his number abnormally high?  I mean the biggest narrative during the first half of the season was his lack of size was killing us.  Why is that not reflected in his net rating?

I don't mean this directly aimed at you, but I see net rating in small samples used a lot on this board to explain a lot of things, and yet at the same time I will see much larger samples of net rating completely ignored because it does not fit narrative/eye test.
Like Reply
(03-05-2024, 04:25 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Frankly Gafford has not been very impactful lately but I don’t care.  I want a minimum of 20 minutes a night for him. 

Not sure that’s gonna happen, friend, and if it did, I’m not sure you’d like the results.
Like Reply
(03-05-2024, 05:24 PM)mvossman Wrote: Yes context matters.  Which is why using small sample 2 man lineup data is probably not telling you much.  I mean if net rating is such a useful tool to make these kinds of assessments, then why does Powell have one of the highest net ratings on the team for a much bigger sample of this entire season?  Is he not as bad as folks make him out to be?  Is there some context that makes his number abnormally high?  I mean the biggest narrative during the first half of the season was his lack of size was killing us.  Why is that not reflected in his net rating?

I don't mean this directly aimed at you, but I see net rating in small samples used a lot on this board to explain a lot of things, and yet at the same time I will see much larger samples of net rating completely ignored because it does not fit narrative/eye test.

I used the small sample size data to suggest that Gafford and PJ is a better front court than Gafford and Maxi. For the rest of the year that may not be the case but so far it is. I don’t even talk about Powell anymore except in response to KL that he might somehow be better than Gafford, which imo is silly - don’t want to hurt anyone’s feelings so silly is the word used Smile
Like Reply
I just hope that you guys aren't working in science based jobs.
Like Reply
(03-05-2024, 05:31 PM)Smitty Wrote: I used the small sample size data to suggest that Gafford and PJ is a better front court than Gafford and Maxi. For the rest of the year that may not be the case but so far it is. I don’t even talk about Powell anymore except in response to KL that he might somehow be better than Gafford, which imo is silly - don’t want to hurt anyone’s feelings so silly is the word used Smile

But why aren't we talking about Powell or at least the comparisation with Gafford? Similar lineups. Mostly against opposing second units. One of them with more impressive boxscore numbers. The other with better +/-.
If it wouldn't come at the cost of my favorit team losing games it would be hilarious to watch. Mavs trying to replace Powell year after year only to sign/trade for players like McGee and to a lesser degree Gafford that might be better athlets/dunkers/shot blockers but not really better overall players.
[-] The following 2 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • KillerLeft, mvossman
Like Reply
(03-05-2024, 05:51 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: But why aren't we talking about Powell

Because he doesn’t play.
Like Reply
(03-05-2024, 04:25 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: I would read very little into the plus minus of the new guys.  A lot of noise.

Frankly Gafford has not been very impactful lately but I don’t care.  I want a minimum of 20 minutes a night for him.  He has been a good player this year.  No reason he can’t find a role and be very productive with a better team.  Find what he does well and surround him with guys he does well with.

No one is asking, but in addition to Gafford at 20.  I want Lively at least 25.  Exum at 20 with him on the floor at all non Luka minutes.  Green at 23-27 a night.  Throw in high 29’s for PJ.  I don’t care with the rest of the wings and THJ but the #s above take priority.

Completely ignores matchups.

The minutes depend on the competition. If the opponent is playing a mobile small-ball 5, it’s crazy to give Gafford any significant time on the floor.
Like Reply
(03-05-2024, 06:13 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: Completely ignores matchups.

The minutes depend on the competition. If the opponent is playing a mobile small-ball 5, it’s crazy to give Gafford any significant time on the floor.

There is some truth to that.  But both g wrong with dictating lineups yourself.  You want to go small?  Fine we have a 6’7 point guard and an athletic center who is going to go right to the rim on every position.  

Is there a bit of a chess game there?  Sure.  Teams going small can pose some challenges.  Mavs invested in athletic size.  Might as well make teams deal with it.  May not always work.  I think 20 minutes for Gafford is absolutely fair.
[-] The following 2 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • Scott41theMavs, Smitty
Like Reply
The title of the thread is wrong. Mavs couldn't have had Kuzma for Grant and a first. Obviously they didn't get him, not because they didn't want him but because Wizzards (or Kuzma) rejected the offer. The correct title should be as it was reported - Wizzards could trade Kuzma for GW and a first.
Like Reply
(03-05-2024, 06:57 PM)omahen Wrote: The title of the thread is wrong. Mavs couldn't have had Kuzma for Grant and a first. Obviously they didn't get him, not because they didn't want him but because Wizzards (or Kuzma) rejected the offer. The correct title should be as it was reported - Wizzards could trade Kuzma for GW and a first.

I fixed it for you. I hope you're right, because I just took your word for it.
Like Reply
I like that the Mavericks FO got Lively and Gafford this season. Both players are a huge improvement on Dwight.

However, my one remaining gripe is that neither Lively or Gafford can get stops on (or put off shot attempts by) any good perimeter players away from the basket. That is one reason why I wanted Jericho Sims. He can do what Lively or Gafford do, or be taught to do the things they do that he isn't doing already, at least for 20 minutes or until he fouls out... but additionally, he is the kind of defender who can get stops on (or put off shot attempts by) anyone.

Maybe try swapping Dwight for Sims in the summer?
Like Reply
So with the report that the trade for Kuzma was Grant and a unprotected first, would you revisit that this offseason offering Josh plus a first (and matching salary) for Kuzma?

Luka
Kyrie
Kuzma
PJ
Lively

Exum
Gafford
Maxi
Hardy/Omax

My initial thought is we would be light on defense unless Kuzma really committed to it. On the positive it would make us a big team that is really skilled. I personally want to believe Green can be a key player (maybe best served off the bench) but him struggling the second year in a row down the stretch is really concerning. Hopefully he can play himself out of it.
Like Reply
(03-08-2024, 09:59 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: So with the report that the trade for Kuzma was Grant and a unprotected first, would you revisit that this offseason offering Josh plus a first (and matching salary) for Kuzma?

I think point of attack defender is the position it would be good to fill as Green is struggling with the role. I don't see Kuzma or PJ in this role. Players like Caruso are more the like I would consider targeting.
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(03-08-2024, 09:59 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: So with the report that the trade for Kuzma was Grant and a unprotected first, would you revisit that this offseason offering Josh plus a first (and matching salary) for Kuzma?

Luka
Kyrie
Kuzma
PJ
Lively

Exum
Gafford
Maxi
Hardy/Omax

My initial thought is we would be light on defense unless Kuzma really committed to it.    On the positive it would make us a big team that is really skilled.    I personally want to believe Green can be a key player (maybe best served off the bench) but him struggling the second year in a row down the stretch is really concerning.  Hopefully he can play himself out of it.

No, not having Kuzma on the Mavericks was and continues to be one of my main goals as a fan.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, Smitty
Like Reply
Love Caruso but I think Bruce Brown checks the most boxes: price to acquire, contract situation, offensive/defensive versatility, age, relative good health. Only thing he is lacking is we would prefer a better 3 point shooter to replace Tim’s minutes (assuming that the deal is something like THJ and picks.) Brown was also clutch in the Nuggets playoff run.

Bruce Brown can guard up or down and we would have another ball handler and playmaker for the non-Luka and Kyrie minutes.

Lively Gafford
PJ. Maxi/Omax
Luka Bruce Brown
Green Hardy
Kyrie Exum
[-] The following 2 users Like MarkAguirreWrathofGod's post:
  • RGP1981, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
Guys, the roster is not the problem. It could always be better, but more trades and more roster shake up at this point is the worst idea possible. You’d just be throwing more resources out the window without actually knowing how the team would look with competent coaching. In other words, no one really knows what is needed here, other than coaching, so that is the issue to solve before making any other moves.

If Jason Kidd survives this season it will get much easier, because I will no longer care about the Mavericks
[-] The following 3 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, Scott41theMavs, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(03-08-2024, 10:04 AM)omahen Wrote: I think point of attack defender is the position it would be good to fill as Green is struggling with the role. I don't see Kuzma or PJ in this role. Players like Caruso are more the like I would consider targeting.

He seems like a player who would fit really well.   Either as a starter or a heavy bench player.  The issue is I think most teams think the same.  The Bulls seem to value him highly in any trade too.   

With that being said, I wish the Mavs would be laser focused on these type of players either by buying a pick or with their two way guys.   It is a little interesting they seem have focused on hyper athletic guys who may not be great basketball players.  Nothing wrong with that, but sort of interesting they don't really factor in shooters or high skill players.
Like Reply

Luka
Kyrie
Kuzma
PJ
Lively

Exum
Gafford
Maxi
Hardy/Omax

My initial thought is we would be light on defense unless Kuzma really committed to it.    On the positive it would make us a big team that is really skilled.    I personally want to believe Green can be a key player (maybe best served off the bench) but him struggling the second year in a row down the stretch is really concerning.  Hopefully he can play himself out of it.

I have to think about the Kuzma aspect of it. On paper it'd make sense but attitude wise he still scares the hell out of me.

I'm more interested in swinging a trade for Thybulle this offseason honestly.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply