Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.91 Average
Trade & FA 2023-24: Paul George to Test Free Agency After No Contract Extension
(02-20-2024, 07:38 PM)Luka77 Wrote: I guarantee if he leaves which ever team he goes too will pay out of their nose for him.  So what are these teams giving the Mavs back?

Moreover, your constant trolling on this board is tiresome.  Luka is not going to either of your teams (Utah or the Lakers).

To be fair, this was the one time he didn't bring it up and was just commenting on Luka being a potential flight risk. Which isn't an insane thought. He gets a pass for this one. 

What is an insane thought is that he actually believes Utah has any sort of outside chance at Luka, which is just silly.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 4 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • ACMFFL, HoosierDaddyKid, KillerLeft, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(02-20-2024, 09:04 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: To be fair, this was the one time he didn't bring it up and was just commenting on Luka being a potential flight risk. Which isn't an insane thought. He gets a pass for this one. 

What is an insane thought is that he actually believes Utah has any sort of outside chance at Luka, which is just silly.

It’s a bad city.
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
[-] The following 1 user Likes The Jom's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
https://x.com/thedunkcentral/status/1760...95295?s=46&t=Fmdr94oXagcEyy75KJqaFg

NBACentral (@TheDunkCentral)
Tim Hardaway Sr. reveals he has been trying to get his son onto the Miami Heat
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • RGP1981
Like Reply
(02-21-2024, 02:48 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: https://x.com/thedunkcentral/status/1760...95295?s=46&t=Fmdr94oXagcEyy75KJqaFg

So are we, Tim Hardaway Sr., so are we!  Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes RGP1981's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
(02-20-2024, 09:04 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: To be fair, this was the one time he didn't bring it up and was just commenting on Luka being a potential flight risk. Which isn't an insane thought. He gets a pass for this one. 

Thanks! I was actually responding to KillerLeft's thought about Luka possibly going to Miami or New York if he leaves. I can't see him going to either city.

Anyway, someone brought up the topic of Jokic and Luka on the same team... and then someone else said that it should not or would not be allowed due to optics. Why should only Lebron, Durant and Steph Curry be allowed to make super-teams? Those 3 guys have won a lot of titles because of the super-teams they made and it has helped their legacies. I think Jokic and Luka should be allowed to make their own super-team if they want, wherever it may be, and build their own legacies while tearing the NBA a new one. Now that (Jokic-Luka) is a super-team that I would pay to see, and would love to cheer for too.
Like Reply
(02-21-2024, 02:48 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: https://x.com/thedunkcentral/status/1760...95295?s=46&t=Fmdr94oXagcEyy75KJqaFg

Why?

I thought Luka's system was best for volume 3 point shooters?

Did Miami not learn from Duncan Robinson contract?
Like Reply

Why?

I thought Luka's system was best for volume 3 point shooters?

Did Miami not learn from Duncan Robinson contract?
Like Reply
What do you think it would take to get a Bruce Brown, DFS or Thybulle this offseason?

I am just wondering if Hardaway just may not bring back much...even as expiring. He is more important to us that what he brings back, but we really need to balance the roster out there. There are several shooters who may be available either via FA or there teams looking to move them. Hardaway may just not have value. In fact, his value to teams may be more of an expiring than anything he does on the court. He is much better than Fournier but Knicks couldn't find any takers for him....until they found a team who does weird things.

So I wonder if Hardaway plus 4 seconds would be enough for one of those guys above? I would think Brown and DFS may get better offers. Thybulle?
Like Reply
(02-21-2024, 10:13 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: What do you think it would take to get a Bruce Brown, DFS or Thybulle this offseason?

I am just wondering if Hardaway just may not bring back much...even as expiring.  He is more important to us that what he brings back, but we really need to balance the roster out there.  There are several shooters who may be available either via FA or there teams looking to move them.  Hardaway may just not have value.  In fact, his value to teams may be more of an expiring than anything he does on the court.  He is much better than Fournier but Knicks couldn't find any takers for him....until they found a team who does weird things.

So I wonder if Hardaway plus 4 seconds would be enough for one of those guys above?  I would think Brown and DFS may get better offers.  Thybulle?

Traditionally, guys who can score almost always are valued more highly than guys who can play defense. So I’m guessing Timmy still has significant value, especially with his reasonable contract.

A team that acquires him as an expiring can probably have confidence they can re-sign him at a moderate price. He doesn’t have a ginormous ego. Just a competent player who fits in and knows his role.
[-] The following 2 users Like DallasMaverick's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, MFFL
Like Reply
(02-21-2024, 10:13 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: What do you think it would take to get a Bruce Brown, DFS or Thybulle this offseason?

I am just wondering if Hardaway just may not bring back much...even as expiring.  He is more important to us that what he brings back, but we really need to balance the roster out there.  There are several shooters who may be available either via FA or there teams looking to move them.  Hardaway may just not have value.  In fact, his value to teams may be more of an expiring than anything he does on the court.  He is much better than Fournier but Knicks couldn't find any takers for him....until they found a team who does weird things.

So I wonder if Hardaway plus 4 seconds would be enough for one of those guys above?  I would think Brown and DFS may get better offers.  Thybulle?

I think THJ + 4 2nds is definitely enough for guys like Thybulle alone. DFS and Brown might cost a 1st (but not in addition to those 4 2nds).

My biggest issue right now with trading THJ now is that despite his inefficient shot chucking, and at times incredibly awful shot selection, his scoring is a valued skill. Other than Timmy, who on the bench can go get a bucket? Exum? Hardy? And to be fair, neither of them can reach the same level that Timmy can. 

If we're replacing him, we need to replace him with someone who can do what he does while also playing defense. Donte Divincenzo comes to mind as a guy who fills all of that, but I highly doubt the Knicks are interested in a swap and I'm not really keen on spending draft capital there. 

Bogdan Bogdanovic is another interesting choice, but is his defense any better than Timmy? 

The name I'm really liking is Malcolm Brogdon. He pretty much combines THJ's scoring and Exum's playmaking into 1 player, but his injury history is scary. 

THJ+Powell+Hardy for Brogdon+Thybulle works salary wise but puts us into the first apron by about 3.6 million and about 7 mil from the dreaded 2nd apron. We'd still have an empty roster spot too. Is this roster good enough to go into the 1st apron and it's penalties? We'd still be able to use the T-MLE and stay below the 2nd apron, but just below. 

Luka/Brogdon
Kyrie/Exum
Green/Thybulle
PJ/Maxi/OMax
Lively/Gafford

Brogdon is a 22.5 mil expiring contract, so there shouldn't be a worry about repeater tax. I'm sure Portland would want a 1st as well for Brogdon, as that was what they signalled throughout the deadline. Nico+Lindsay have been pretty creative getting 1sts in deals so I'd imagine THJ would be sent off to a 3rd team on draft night for a single 1st while the Mavs get Brogdon+Thybulle. 

Another downside other than health with this deal is that our entire roster is basically a bunch of 6'5 guys. Brogdon, Exum, Green, and Thybulle all are 6'5. That's not short. But I'd really want at least someone with a bit bigger size on the bench that can be a switch defender. OMax technically fills this. But is he ready for such a jump next year? If so then the roster looks REALLY good imo.
Like Reply

I suspect THJ wishes his dad would just shut up.  THJ is a 31-year old man and doesn't need his father interfering in his life and making statements to the press like this.
[-] The following 4 users Like surfpuckmd's post:
  • KillerLeft, MarkAguirreWrathofGod, MFFL, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(02-21-2024, 12:39 PM)surfpuckmd Wrote: I suspect THJ wishes his dad would just shut up.  THJ is a 31-year old man and doesn't need his father interfering in his life and making statements to the press like this.

Nah...THJ has main character syndrome and wants out now that his minutes are supposedly being squeezed.

I suggested on here about a week ago that I think THJ is like KP when he got here and like Jerami Grant wanted to go to Detroit because he wanted the ball more...and that I suspect THJ asks out this summer.   

Kinda odd how this tweet pops up shortly after.   Im usually not right on many things...and might not be right on the exact details and situation of this either...but it seems like an odd coincidence.

Dallas Maverick claims THJ is a perfect professional with no ego, though.   I dont have any inside info on THJ.  I know rumors are he is great as a locker room guy and professional...he just seems unprofessional during NBA games with a basketball in his hands.   Tons of talent...one of the only guys that sticks his nose into scuffles when they pop up(if you are into that kinda thing)...dresses cool...seems well spoken.

Kinda sucks.   Seems like a Luka is perfect for THJ's game.   I suspect its a bad fit all around because THJ wants more touches and shots during games plus suspect defense.   I could be wrong though.

I kind of see where THJ is coming from...being a #1 in New York and then being asked to be 3rd or 4th for a few years...and now asked to come off bench and be 6th or 7th best guy. I think there is possibly a little bit of KP when KP was in Dallas in THJ.
[-] The following 2 users Like youzigizag's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(02-21-2024, 12:39 PM)surfpuckmd Wrote: I suspect THJ wishes his dad would just shut up.  THJ is a 31-year old man and doesn't need his father interfering in his life and making statements to the press like this.

For sure. This isn’t the first time Hardaway Sr has said something without thinking, and Jr has basically said he’s not a fan of it.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • DallasMaverick, SleepingHero
Like Reply
We’re in perfect position. The new additions have fit as hoped. We’re getting a clearer picture of the roster. The list of names that fit is short. The cap sheet is nearly flawless

Here’s what i see as the assets we should limit ourselves to this summer

4 2nd round picks
THJ
Powell contract if needed for matching
Hardy
Cash
Tax MLE

Perfect would be trade for Bruce Brown and re-sign DJJ

Other options include flipping THJ for a TPE and bringing in a player with that. I don’t think we have trouble finding a team that will absorb him into cap space. And would probably tip us with a 2nd

Also could use some of these assets to trade up in the draft.
[-] The following 3 users Like Jason Terry's post:
  • MarkAguirreWrathofGod, MFFL, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(02-23-2024, 03:14 PM)Jason Terry Wrote: We’re in perfect position. The new additions have fit as hoped. We’re getting a clearer picture of the roster. The list of names that fit is short. The cap sheet is nearly flawless

4 2nd round picks
THJ
Hardy
Cash
Tax MLE

Other options include flipping THJ for a TPE and bringing in a player with that

This is fine, except that Hardy is the THJ placement. He shouldn't be considered an asset unless we keep THJ (which we shouldn't). Of course, the other component of that is that, with the new roster approach, the THJ role is a lesser role. That means they should keep Hardy's minutes limited until they lock him up in a (cheap) new contract.
Like Reply
(02-23-2024, 03:14 PM)Jason Terry Wrote: We’re in perfect position. The new additions have fit as hoped. We’re getting a clearer picture of the roster. The list of names that fit is short. The cap sheet is nearly flawless

4 2nd round picks
THJ
Hardy
Cash
Tax MLE

Other options include flipping THJ for a TPE and bringing in a player with that. I don’t think we have trouble finding a team that will absorb him into cap space. And would probably tip us with a 2nd

Bruce Brown would be great! Another versatile defender. He's like a mini-PJ. Also gives us another nice secondary ball handler. Team option for him at 23m. Kind of hard to predict what Toronto is thinking these days. I would imagine they’ll move him though. My other wish list guy would be Alex Caruso.
Like Reply
Bruce Brown for THJ + Powell would be superb. I'm all for it. :thumbsup:
Like Reply

4 2nd round picks
THJ
Hardy
Cash
Tax MLE

A lot will be determined how this team does in the playoffs.  At the moment, I am going to be really careful trading the picks we have to trade.   At this moment, I don't know we have enough for a 3/4 on a championship level team.  I am not sure if Hardaway + something + picks is going to do it.  We will see.

The names I am thinking about are DFS, Bruce Brown and Thybulle as good role players.   I just don't think they are good enough for use to use the little draft equity we have left.   At the same time, I am not sure an expiring Hardaway and 4 second round picks gets it done either.    On a skill level, Hardaway may be better than all of these guys, but I think it is going to take assets with Hardaway.   Maybe there is a chance in a weak draft that someone offers a late first for Hardaway.   Probably not a great chance as he would be an expiring and other shooters are on the market.   That could be a way to use a pick plus other stuff for one of those names above.
Like Reply
I think the ideal scenario is to turn THJ into a bigger forward who can shoot more consistently than DJJ. That would allow them to keep a life-size SF on the court in the non-Luka minutes as well as provide insurance at PF when Maxi inevitably misses games (or plays as the small ball center).

Of course it's easier said than done to find another player of that type. DFS might work if he has anything left in the tank. It could be difficult to pry him away from Brooklyn though. I wouldn't give more than Phoenix paid for O'Neale, and there's really no reason for the Nets to deal him this offseason if that's the return. They can always get 2nds at the next deadline.

Maybe De'Andre Hunter? He's shooting it extremely well this year. 41.4% overall from 3 and 48.4% on wide open attempts. He's not a guy I've really liked in the past as a starter, but I think he could be effective off the bench. The downside is he's owed 21.7, 23.3, and 24.9m after this season, which is certainly an overpay given the role he would have here. On the other hand, he's only 26 and you could try to obtain him cheaply in a John Collins-like deal. Doing some rough cap math I think you could bring him in and still give new contracts to Exum and Hardy while staying under the 2nd apron.
Like Reply
(02-24-2024, 09:42 AM)loki Wrote: I think the ideal scenario is to turn THJ into a bigger forward who can shoot more consistently than DJJ. That would allow them to keep a life-size SF on the court in the non-Luka minutes as well as provide insurance at PF when Maxi inevitably misses games (or plays as the small ball center).

Of course it's easier said than done to find another player of that type. DFS might work if he has anything left in the tank. It could be difficult to pry him away from Brooklyn though. I wouldn't give more than Phoenix paid for O'Neale, and there's really no reason for the Nets to deal him this offseason if that's the return. They can always get 2nds at the next deadline.

Maybe De'Andre Hunter? He's shooting it extremely well this year. 41.4% overall from 3 and 48.4% on wide open attempts. He's not a guy I've really liked in the past as a starter, but I think he could be effective off the bench. The downside is he's owed 21.7, 23.3, and 24.9m after this season, which is certainly an overpay given the role he would have here. On the other hand, he's only 26 and you could try to obtain him cheaply in a John Collins-like deal. Doing some rough cap math I think you could bring him in and still give new contracts to Exum and Hardy while staying under the 2nd apron.

Yeah Hunter is a good name.  He has some Harrison Barnes lite in him to me.  Looks the part but I never feel like he is going to hit the big shot.  He is shooting over 40% from three though.  The contract is bad but he would be someone to consider.  Maybe Bey too but he hasn’t been shooting or defending well.  Atl may look very different next year.  

So I am unsure him yet but he is probably gettable with the assets we have.  With the contract, you are only probably targeting him if you view him as a starter, right?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • loki
Like Reply