Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.91 Average
Trade & FA 2023-24: Paul George to Test Free Agency After No Contract Extension
(02-12-2024, 04:12 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Marc Stein:

"Could the Hawks ultimately decide to keep Dejounte Murray and trade Trae Young in the offseason? I can tell you this much: They’ve certainly convinced various rival teams that a Dejounte In/Trae Out course is going to be legitimately considered.

San Antonio tops the perceived list. The Spurs have circulated for months among prominent league observers as a viable destination for Young’s offensive gifts.
In Victor Wembanyama, they also seemingly possess precisely the sort of long and rangy defensive anchor who could mitigate Young’s defensive deficiencies.
It is likewise believed in some corners of the league that Young would have interest in South Texas as a destination if he were forced to leave Atlanta."

In that same article:
“I know of at least two teams on the NBA map that believe LeBron James would consider signing with them at far less than $51.4 million if Bronny James is on the roster. There might be more.”

I might be wrong, but I have a hard time imagining that the Buford/Popovich vision includes Trae Young.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, MFFL
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/mcten/status/1757146...FVxyn62T2g
Dave McMenamin (@mcten)
Spencer Dinwiddie explains why he picked the Lakers over the Mavs: “Let’s say you’re a kid and you get your ass whupped by the bully. Dallas would have been like your mama, like, ‘It’s OK, baby.’ … Lakers are like your dad: ‘Nah, you better go out there and fight ‘til you win.’”

Dinwiddie has some shots for the Mavs. Crazy
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(02-12-2024, 04:12 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Marc Stein:

"Could the Hawks ultimately decide to keep Dejounte Murray and trade Trae Young in the offseason? I can tell you this much: They’ve certainly convinced various rival teams that a Dejounte In/Trae Out course is going to be legitimately considered.

San Antonio tops the perceived list. The Spurs have circulated for months among prominent league observers as a viable destination for Young’s offensive gifts.
In Victor Wembanyama, they also seemingly possess precisely the sort of long and rangy defensive anchor who could mitigate Young’s defensive deficiencies.
It is likewise believed in some corners of the league that Young would have interest in South Texas as a destination if he were forced to leave Atlanta."

In that same article:
“I know of at least two teams on the NBA map that believe LeBron James would consider signing with them at far less than $51.4 million if Bronny James is on the roster. There might be more.”

I would guess they hold on to Young for at least a few more years.  He is going to be tough to trade in that city.

They are in a tough place though.   They seemed to have a lot of promising young players last year  But so far, besides Johnson and maybe Onyeka, not have really hit.  Now they are filled with big salaried players who are either older or not living up to their $ and youngsters who may not be good.
Like Reply
(02-12-2024, 04:16 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I might be wrong, but I have a hard time imagining that the Buford/Popovich vision includes Trae Young.

Trae is a lot of things, but as a facilitator he is one of the best. Hard to turn down someone that generates such easy looks at the rim for Wembanyama. Plus Wemby might be one of the only players in the league that could hide Trae's shortcomings on defense so effectively.

Trae gets blown by? It's ok, the dude with an 8 foot wingspan and moves like a gazelle is right there and can cover 2/3rds of the court without moving will make sure you're alright.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 3 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, HoosierDaddyKid, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(02-12-2024, 04:17 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: https://twitter.com/mcten/status/1757146...FVxyn62T2g
Dave McMenamin (@mcten)
Spencer Dinwiddie explains why he picked the Lakers over the Mavs: “Let’s say you’re a kid and you get your ass whupped by the bully. Dallas would have been like your mama, like, ‘It’s OK, baby.’ … Lakers are like your dad: ‘Nah, you better go out there and fight ‘til you win.’”

hmm...that is an odd quote.   tough understanding what he is meaning there.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
(02-12-2024, 04:19 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: hmm...that is an odd quote.   tough understanding what he is meaning there.

You could call the Mavs a lot of things, but that quote strikes me as really strange and off.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scott41theMavs's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
(02-12-2024, 04:19 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: hmm...that is an odd quote.   tough understanding what he is meaning there.

Exactly what I wondering. What does that even mean?
Like Reply

(02-12-2024, 04:32 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: You could call the Mavs a lot of things, but that quote strikes me as really strange and off.

(02-12-2024, 04:34 PM)MarkAguirreWrathofGod Wrote: Exactly what I wondering. What does that even mean?

I think he's trying to say that some of y'all are SOFT! Big Grin
Like Reply

I interpreted it as the Mavs were the comfortable, easy choice - played there before, more limited role, etc.  I think he's saying he wanted to push himself and chose the Lakers (who I think needed him more than the Mavs with Vincent out still)...just my interpretation - didn't read it as a shot at the Mavs...
[-] The following 1 user Likes bearforce1's post:
  • surfpuckmd
Like Reply
Sounds like he’s saying the Mavs don’t mind if they lose.

Lakers expectations are to win.

No idea why he’d take a shot at the Mavs.
[-] The following 1 user Likes RoyTarpleysGhost's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(02-12-2024, 04:57 PM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: Sounds like he’s saying the Mavs don’t mind if they lose.

Lakers expectations are to win.

No idea why he’d take a shot at the Mavs.

Yeah, we lost and cried ourselves all the way to Dereck freaking Lively last year. That sure was a terrible decision!
Like Reply
God everything about the Lakers is insufferable.
[-] The following 4 users Like StrandedOnBeauboisHill's post:
  • BigDirk41, From Dirk to Luka, KillerLeft, MarkAguirreWrathofGod
Like Reply

I've been trying to make sense of it too. Is he insinuating the Mavs coddle their players...? 

Also why even take a shot at the ONE team that you've succeeded at since 2020.
[-] The following 2 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • MarkAguirreWrathofGod, surfpuckmd
Like Reply
(02-12-2024, 04:54 PM)bearforce1 Wrote: I interpreted it as the Mavs were the comfortable, easy choice - played there before, more limited role, etc.  I think he's saying he wanted to push himself and chose the Lakers (who I think needed him more than the Mavs with Vincent out still)...just my interpretation - didn't read it as a shot at the Mavs...

That's a very optimistic take. 

For whatever reason, his confusing analogy doesn't sit right with me and has kind of soured me on Dinwiddie.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
So does this mean the Lakers are trying to get back out there and fight the bully but keep losing?
[-] The following 2 users Like StrandedOnBeauboisHill's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, The Jom
Like Reply
(02-12-2024, 04:17 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Spencer Dinwiddie explains why he picked the Lakers over the Mavs: “Let’s say you’re a kid and you get your ass whupped by the bully. Dallas would have been like your mama, like, ‘It’s OK, baby.’ … Lakers are like your dad: ‘Nah, you better go out there and fight ‘til you win.’”

Looks like a money thing to me. He is weighing "desire to win" by "willingness to spend (on SD, in particular)."

That sounds like he preferred DAL, but he's miffed because the Mavs didn't offer him more than LA did, even though they could have. So he took the money. The thought is that "DAL could have improved their team, but did not do everything they could have to improve, but LA did. So the DAL FO isn't really trying as hard as they can."

LA offered about $1.5M. Mavs are about $2.66M under the tax line, and still have some of their MLE which is pro-rating downward daily (currently in excess of $3M remains).

If he is a difference-maker, or could have been, he'll be right. If he isn't, he'll just be a guy who took the highest offer, while being bothered that someone else didn't chase him with all they had to spend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes F Gump's post:
  • SleepingHero
Like Reply
I'd like us to add another guard to fill the 15th spot.  We traded Seth and we need a replacement for depth in the backcourt.

My favorite reclamation project would be Killian Hayes.  He was terrible in Detroit but almost everyone else has been terrible in Detroit as well.

He gradually evolved into a decent defensive player over his 4 years in Detroit.  His shooting remains awful but has improved a little bit every year.   In fact, this season he was hitting a career-high percentage from 3.  He is quick and has decent handles.  

I think he'd be worth a contract and might benefit from being coached by Jason Kidd.  Practicing with Kyrie and Luka might also help.  I'd prefer to get him on a 2-year deal.  We don't have a lot of draft picks left so I think he is worth taking a chance on as the 3rd point.  He might evolve into a solid backup if he can improve his shooting somewhat.  He would be my favorite potential signing.  

I also like Furkan Korkmaz who was pretty good a few years ago with the 76ers.  He shot well from 3 a few years ago and was a decent defender.  
Somehow his career stalled and even regressed.  I think he'd be a worthwhile reclamation candidate.  

I also like Hamidou Diallo as an elite defensive wing.  He also can't shoot but he can cut to the basket and he rebounds. 

All these players are young and are all available for free.  I hope we will sign one of them.  We already have one too many Morris brothers on the roster.
[-] The following 3 users Like surfpuckmd's post:
  • F Gump, From Dirk to Luka, Smitty
Like Reply
(02-12-2024, 04:17 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: https://twitter.com/mcten/status/1757146...FVxyn62T2g
Dave McMenamin (@mcten)

Lakers suck this year and he made the wrong decision. I hope we see them in the playoffs to send his ass home.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BigDirk41's post:
  • RGP1981
Like Reply
(02-12-2024, 05:43 PM)F Gump Wrote: Looks like a money thing to me. He is weighing "desire to win" by "willingness to spend (on SD, in particular)."

That sounds like he preferred DAL, but he's miffed because the Mavs didn't offer him more than LA did, even though they could have. So he took the money. The thought is that "DAL could have improved their team, but did not do everything they could have to improve, but LA did. So the DAL FO isn't really trying as hard as they can."

LA offered about $1.5M. Mavs are about $2.66M under the tax line, and still have some of their MLE which is pro-rating downward daily (currently in excess of $3M remains).

If he is a difference-maker, or could have been, he'll be right. If he isn't, he'll just be a guy who took the highest offer, while being bothered that someone else didn't chase him with all they had to spend.

Out of ALL the theories I've read today, yours makes the most sense by far and also explains why Dinwiddie went out of his way to demean the Mavs. 

I guess the Mavs only offered the vet min even though they could've offered more and Dinwiddie is pretty salty.
[-] The following 2 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • BigDirk41, MarkAguirreWrathofGod
Like Reply
I saw an article that had more of what he said, and it sounds like he was saying it's two different styles of accountability and right now he needs the more direct style. I don't think it was meant as a slight against the Mavs, just that he needs something different right now.

At least that's how I took it.

https://www.si.com/nba/mavericks/news/da...les-lakers
[-] The following 4 users Like Jmaciscool's post:
  • BigDirk41, F Gump, hakeemfaan, KillerLeft
Like Reply