Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.91 Average
Trade & FA 2023-24: OKC The Favorite For Nic Claxton Should He Leave BRK
(02-10-2023, 11:05 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I’ve never been a Kazan guy, either, but he’s grown on me. It’s irrelevant, because he’s signing in Washington. They’re calling that trio of “pretty good” players a “big 3” and they traded Hachimura to LA specifically to re-sign Kuzma.

I know Kuzma will probably take the money, but I wouldn't rule out the chance he takes a slight discount to be in a city like LA or NYK. He's openly groaned about being in WAS.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
SUMMER TALK - No one talks about it, but what if we get a Kyrie who decides to stay here, just plays hoops, and buys in to Dallas?

He's certainly well-liked all around the league. So might he be a magnet who can persuade good desirable players to be a Mav in free agency? If so, wouldn't that be a refreshing change?!

They could sign him to a max and still have ways to spend.

If the Mavs don't extend either Wood or Powell, they can pay max to Kyrie and can stay under the tax line. Or could spend about 9M of MLE money (big MLE will be around 11.5M based on current cap projections, txpyr MLE will be about 7M) or money on any of their own FAs, and stay under apron as required.

The summer wild card would be Bertans or THJ -- a trade of either into cap room with lesser or no salary coming back, or maybe a s-w of Bertans. The path the Mavs control, a s-w, jumps cap room to about 13M or under-apron room to about 20M. The right trade might net them more, or if a pick is offered, might yield a desirable player in return. That lets them spend big MLE (about 11.5M), or maybe also BAE (about 4.5M), and could be significant if it's the right 2 players.
[-] The following 5 users Like F Gump's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, KillerLeft, loki, Scott41theMavs, Smitty
Like Reply
(02-11-2023, 02:02 AM)F Gump Wrote: SUMMER TALK - No one talks about it, but what if we get a Kyrie who decides to stay here, just plays hoops, and buys in to Dallas?

He's certainly well-liked all around the league. So might he be a magnet who can persuade good desirable players to be a Mav in free agency? If so, wouldn't that be a refreshing change?!

They could sign him to a max and still have ways to spend.

If the Mavs don't extend either Wood or Powell, they can pay max to Kyrie and can stay under the tax line. Or could spend about 9M of MLE money (big MLE will be around 11.5M based on current cap projections, txpyr MLE will be about 7M) or money on any of their own FAs, and stay under apron as required.

The summer wild card would be Bertans or THJ -- a trade of either into cap room with lesser or no salary coming back, or maybe a s-w of Bertans. The path the Mavs control, a s-w, jumps cap room to about 13M or under-apron room to about 20M. The right trade might net them more, or if a pick is offered, might yield a desirable player in return. That lets them spend big MLE (about 11.5M), or maybe also BAE (about 4.5M), and could be significant if it's the right 2 players.

Yeah I don't have any hope of a happy, issue-free 4 or 5 years but I think 2 or 3 years is certainly in the realm of possibility and I'll gladly take it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jym's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
SnT for Mavs will be difficult without expiring salary.
Like Reply
(02-11-2023, 03:00 AM)omahen Wrote: SnT for Mavs will be difficult without expiring salary.

Bertans could be considered a pseudo-expiring. He's only guaranteed $5m in 24-25 unless he plays in 75% of the games next year. I don't think that's too big of a problem, especially if Dallas is sending multiple picks along with him. And you also have Bullock at $10.5m if necessary.
Like Reply
(02-11-2023, 03:00 AM)omahen Wrote: SnT for Mavs will be difficult without expiring salary.
THJ + Bullock + FRP for Grant would give us enough room. Similar to the Nets trade. Sell high on some vets and consolidate them into a better player and fit attaching a FRP to motivate Blazers to SnT their disgruntled player
Like Reply
Assuming Kyrie stays, it would make sense to me that the top priority would be a wing to replace DFS. What about Georges Niang from Philly? They just traded for Jalen McDaniels who is younger and in a similar mold, maybe they keep him instead. Niang is 6'7" 230 and shoots 41% from 3. Maybe throw the MLE at him?
[-] The following 1 user Likes sterlingmallory's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
(02-11-2023, 07:13 AM)sterlingmallory Wrote: Assuming Kyrie stays, it would make sense to me that the top priority would be a wing to replace DFS. What about Georges Niang from Philly? They just traded for Jalen McDaniels who is younger and in a similar mold, maybe they keep him instead. Niang is 6'7" 230 and shoots 41% from 3. Maybe throw the MLE at him?

My assumption for the summer is that they´ll use Bertans + THJ plus all their picks to acquire that 3rd star. Try use Wood in a S&T.

I found it very suspicious that the news of "Wood/Collins won´t be traded at the deadline" came within minutes of each other. I think DeAndre Hunter will draw some interest in FA from tanking/rebuilding teams *cough* Spurs *cough* and then the Hawks will either let him walk or the pressure to deal Collins/Bogdanovic increaes again. Or maybe the Hawks are ready to work a S&T for Hunter with more cost-effective options.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mavs2021's post:
  • RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
(02-11-2023, 08:08 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: My assumption for the summer is that they´ll use Bertans + THJ plus all their picks to acquire that 3rd star. Try use Wood in a S&T.

I found it very suspicious that the news of "Wood/Collins won´t be traded at the deadline" came within minutes of each other. I think DeAndre Hunter will draw some interest in FA from tanking/rebuilding teams *cough* Spurs *cough* and then the Hawks will either let him walk or the pressure to deal Collins/Bogdanovic increaes again. Or maybe the Hawks are ready to work a S&T for Hunter with more cost-effective options.

Well dang, dude…I know this wasn’t the point of your post, but now you got me excited about Hunter.

Collins/Bogdanovic wouldn’t be terrible in a world where Kyrie is working out here.

I really feel like the guy they need to add should be a PHYSICAL presence. That’s why Grant appeals to me so much…he’s got such rare size, speed, quickness and skill, all in one package. 

But, you know…someone along the lines of a young Marion or Amare Stoudemire type.
Like Reply
Assuming the Mavs run it back next year to defend a title or to add that one missing piece to get over their final hurdle, it has to be a versatile big wing to start with Luka, Kyrie, Josh, and whoever their big is.  Someone just a little better than DFS but not quite as good as Bridges. Who is that player, and could the Mavs afford him and keep key current players?  Is Cam Johnson attainable SnT for Bertan’s increasingly less horrible contract and a 1st)? That might be perfect.  Can Otto Porter get over his injuries. Derrick Jones jr would be cheap (seems like he has untapped potential).  Don’t see many realistic, affordable options on the free agency list outside that, so may have to be a trade (but don’t give up Hardy).
Like Reply
(02-11-2023, 09:02 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: Assuming the Mavs run it back next year to defend a title or to add that one missing piece to get over their final hurdle, it has to be a versatile big wing to start with Luka, Kyrie, Josh, and whoever their big is.  Someone just a little better than DFS but not quite as good as Bridges. Who is that player, and could the Mavs afford him and keep key current players?  Is Cam Johnson attainable SnT for Bertan’s increasingly less horrible contract and a 1st)? That might be perfect.  Can Otto Porter get over his injuries. Derrick Jones jr would be cheap (seems like he has untapped potential).  Don’t see many realistic, affordable options on the free agency list outside that, so may have to be a trade (but don’t give up Hardy).

If we exclude the Raptors players i would say Jerami Grant and Kyle Kuzma are the players we can target. Tobias Harris could also be on option.

Then i think i heard somewhere that Nets would like to take Simmons contract out of their books, so if we are willing to give him a chance u think he is very getable. 

But it's NBA, you never know what is going to happen to the summer. If someone told us we will get Kyrie for the price we paid only a year ago, nobody would believe that.
Like Reply
(02-11-2023, 09:02 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: Assuming the Mavs run it back next year to defend a title or to add that one missing piece to get over their final hurdle, it has to be a versatile big wing to start with Luka, Kyrie, Josh, and whoever their big is.  Someone just a little better than DFS but not quite as good as Bridges. Who is that player, and could the Mavs afford him and keep key current players?  Is Cam Johnson attainable SnT for Bertan’s increasingly less horrible contract and a 1st)? That might be perfect.  Can Otto Porter get over his injuries. Derrick Jones jr would be cheap (seems like he has untapped potential).  Don’t see many realistic, affordable options on the free agency list outside that, so may have to be a trade (but don’t give up Hardy).

Yeah it´s really hard to find a fitting SF/PF with our assets.

I wonder whether we could work ourselves into a Lavine to Knicks deal, if the Bulls are not that interested in RJ Barrett/Quentin Grimes. They´d be a real nice fit in Dallas imho.

Maybe you actually keep your picks for later and do something like Wood/THJ for Harris/Korkmaz straight up.

On the other hand IF Irving wants to leave the path to a Lillard (via the Lakers), Lavine (straight up) or Ayton (straight up) is pretty straight forward imho. The Mavs took a calculated risk with Irving, but his contract demands clearly work in our favour. None of the contending teams he wants to go to can pay him outright, so they have to work with us. There is enough internal pressure in places like Los Angeles, Phoenix or Chicago to complete an asset net neutral Irving exit that nets Wink us another "star".
Like Reply
(02-11-2023, 09:55 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Yeah it´s really hard to find a fitting SF/PF with our assets.

I wonder whether we could work ourselves into a Lavine to Knicks deal, if the Bulls are not that interested in RJ Barrett/Quentin Grimes. They´d be a real nice fit in Dallas imho.

Maybe you actually keep your picks for later and do something like Wood/THJ for Harris/Korkmaz straight up.

On the other hand IF Irving wants to leave the path to a Lillard (via the Lakers), Lavine (straight up) or Ayton (straight up) is pretty straight forward imho. The Mavs took a calculated risk with Irving, but his contract demands clearly work in our favour. None of the contending teams he wants to go to can pay him outright, so they have to work with us. There is enough internal pressure in places like Los Angeles, Phoenix or Chicago to complete an asset net neutral Irving exit that nets Wink us another "star".

Everyone keeps ignoring me when I say, "Butler."
Like Reply
(02-11-2023, 08:08 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: I think DeAndre Hunter will draw some interest in FA from tanking/rebuilding teams *cough* Spurs *cough* and then the Hawks will either let him walk or the pressure to deal Collins/Bogdanovic increaes again. Or maybe the Hawks are ready to work a S&T for Hunter with more cost-effective options.

Hunter already signed his extension and is under contract for four more years...
Like Reply
Butler is great but is going to be 34 next season with a shit ton of mileage on him. Shooting 30% from 3.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MarkAguirreWrathofGod's post:
  • Smitty
Like Reply
All aboard the Jerami Grant train. Have coveted him for almost literally a decade. I think Portland is due for the big blow up this summer. So he may actually be getable without expending every asset we have. Unlike an OG, Siakam, Bridges type. Would love to hang on to Hardy.

Grant is a great 3rd/4th option. Shooting 40% from 3 and adds a little to his offensive game every year. Aside from Green this team still lacks high level pure athletes and Grant would really help in this regard. Maxi or Maxi Proxy, Grant, Green, Luka, Kyrie is an unguardable closing group that can get stops.
[-] The following 2 users Like MarkAguirreWrathofGod's post:
  • Branduil, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(02-11-2023, 11:49 AM)MarkAguirreWrathofGod Wrote: All aboard the Jerami Grant train. Have coveted him for almost literally a decade. I think Portland is due for the big blow up this summer. So he may actually be getable without expending every asset we have. Unlike an OG, Siakam, Bridges type. Would love to hang on to Hardy.

Grant is a great 3rd/4th option. Shooting 40% from 3 and adds a little to his offensive game every year. Aside from Green this team still lacks high level pure athletes and Grant would really help in this regard. Maxi or Maxi Proxy, Grant, Green, Luka, Kyrie is an unguardable closing group that can get stops.
Grant is a free agent so it depends on the Mavs convincing him to sign and finding a S&T that works for Portland.
[-] The following 2 users Like Branduil's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(02-11-2023, 11:34 AM)omahen Wrote: Hunter already signed his extension and is under contract for four more years...

Oh, decent number, too. I told Jaylen Brown he was a moron to re-sign early for his number. I guess in this case it´s a good number for both sides, so they basically shifted the problem one summer down the road when Okungwu, Bey, Murray and Bogdanovic become RFA/UFA. Hmmm, so I guess Bogdanovic is actually the more urgent matter than John Collins in terms of asset management.
Like Reply
(02-11-2023, 08:08 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: My assumption for the summer is that they´ll use Bertans + THJ plus all their picks to acquire that 3rd star. Try use Wood in a S&T.

agree

who can you get for 2 1sts and THJ + salary filler?  That's the road forward.

Jerami Grant is a good name, although I've seen Blazers fans complaining all year he doesnt try on defense anymore.  I dont get to watch any Portland games.
[-] The following 1 user Likes RoyTarpleysGhost's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
Won’t we be in the tax next year if we re-sign Kyrie to a max deal? If we’re in the tax we cannot accept a player in a sign and trade.
Like Reply