Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Buyout Market 2023: Nerlens 10-day to Nets | Dragic to MIL
Question? What are the tax implications of signing one or two of these guys? Wonder if that factors into the decision to sign them? Kinda like has been said by me and others, there might be a path to just giving the 9th man in house. If Hardy or McGee aren’t gonna be worse than some of these “great buy out options” why take on the extra salary?
Like Reply
(02-09-2023, 11:27 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Question? What are the tax implications of signing one or two of these guys? Wonder if that factors into the decision to sign them? Kinda like has been said by me and others, there might be a path to just giving the 9th man in house. If Hardy or McGee aren’t gonna be worse than some of these “great buy out options” why take on the extra salary?

This is why there won't be two of them.  We'd pay tax on the guy who is cut and the minimum salary of the buyout guy.  We just saw yesterday that moving Terry's $1.8mm contract from the books saved almost $7mm in tax.  There is only one slot you can fill without paying to cut someone.

As to what ONE of these guys would cost, it depends on whether you assume Dallas will run with 15 players or 14.  If the plan was to run with 15 once we get to this point of the season, then the salary is the pro-rated minimum and the tax on that.  But, it isn't EXTRA since that was always what it would have cost.  If the plan was to run with 14, then the pro-rated minimum and the tax are EXTRA.

I'm of the school that says none of these guys will contribute as even a 9th/10th man in a playoff game.  If they do, you aren't that good or the team that let them go shouldn't have.  With that in mind, I might have a non-traditional use for one of two guys on the list.  I think Green is done.  Can he get whipped into shape in 2 months and play a few minutes in a playoff game.  Maybe.  But he brings a locker-room presence we can probably use.  I could see spending money for that.

The other is Bitadze.  The purpose here is more of a tryout than anything he's likely to bring this season on the court.  He's got more of a shot at upside than anyone on the list.  Maybe Schwartz steers him this way and we take a peek in practice to see if we want to spend money on him next season.  I hope Maxi is healthy and Wood is a grown-up if he doesn't get extended.  But, I don't know those things will be true.  So, he might also serve as insurance up front.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
Green looked washed up before his injury and he can suck rocks for stringing us along during free agency a few years back.
[-] The following 3 users Like cow's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, haveitall, Mavs2021
Like Reply
If you sign a guy, there's a salary.
Add salary to payroll = more tax.
Typically all the buyouts get the same offers - a pro-rated minimum for rest of season (which would be about $600K, depending on signing date).
For Mavs the tax on top of that salary would be about $2M.

In case you're keeping score, the Mavs' current tax is about 53.6M, if there are no 10-days given after Silva completes his first.
Like Reply
(02-09-2023, 07:29 PM)Jason Terry Wrote: Crowder would have been nice. You’re right though we won’t be able to play 2 bigs in the playoffs. Powell/Maxi/Mcgee is enough. With Wood as more of a big wing

I really think we will force teams into playing small in the playoffs. It will be hard for them to keep up. Maxi is so versatile, I’m fine with him in any tricky matchups

Powell was practically unplayable in the playoffs as soon as teams started playing drop defense in PnR. We were basically playing with 4 guys on offense when he was on the court. Not sure you can rely on that not happening again, which would limit his ability to be involved much, if at all in the rotation.
Like Reply
George Hill?
Like Reply
Which 4/5’s in the west will give us matchup problems? 

My only concern is Aaron Gordon and Lebron

Steven Adams, Jonas, Zubac, Gobert……those teams would lose if they tried to play those players against us. They would be played off the floor eventually 

For the most important 24 minutes, Maxi would guard Jokic, JJJ, Sabonis, Kawhi, Durant, Zion, AD 

Just adding someone like Ibaka would give us enough i believe. I want to see Morris play before deciding he can’t help with this. Also, Powell and Wood being passable is on the table

On the flip side of this i believe the multiple ball handlers and attackers is the playoffs trend now. Green and Bullock can hold their own. Maybe Hardaway can be passable. I think this is where Pat Bev would fit. Having that annoying player to send for 10-15 mpg in the playoffs against CP3/Booker, Ja/Bane,  Curry/Thompson i believe having that player is more important
Like Reply
(02-10-2023, 09:06 AM)Jason Terry Wrote: Which 4/5’s in the west will give us matchup problems? 

LeBron 
Kawhi
Zion
Durant
Jerami Grant

Those are the ones to worry about.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • haveitall
Like Reply
I watched around an 8 minute highlight video of Beverly and his antics.  Man that guy is annoying.   

I think every team needs a player that other teams just hate to play against.   Our person is Bertans.   Other players for other teams just seem to hate him.  Not in the same way as Beverly and the Dillon Brooks of the world.
Like Reply
Richaun Homes and Will Barton were pretty good a year ago.
[-] The following 1 user Likes haveitall's post:
  • MFFL
Like Reply
I think the people downplaying this list of available buyout players are a little off, honestly. There are 5-6 names of people out there who can still play, even if only 10-15 minutes per, but that's enough to help!

For example, there were folks here wanting the team to trade for Nerlens Noel not too long ago. What's changed, other than those folks realizing nobody wanted him badly enough to trade for him? 

Now, I can certainly imagine Dallas not being the choice for any of those players, that's for sure, but on the other hand, it wouldn't surprise me if Kyrie/Luka/Kidd is kind of a draw.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • Jmaciscool, MFFL
Like Reply
(02-10-2023, 09:59 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: For example, there were folks here wanting the team to trade for Nerlens Noel not too long ago. What's changed, other than those folks realizing nobody wanted him badly enough to trade for him?

The answer to your question is that the desire for him was always misguided.The idea of who Noel might be, is way better than the reality of who he is.

He played well in OKC and got a better contract in NY. He played about as well and got an even better contract in NY. And then his play fell off the cliff for that contract, leading NY to discard him onto DET, who found him basically unplayable. The more he got paid by NY, the worse he played.

I don't think the Mavs would have any interest.
Like Reply
Have to learn about history with owners.

I think the Pistons do it regularly, so maybe there is an outside chance at a Burks buyout. Not sure why they´d do it. He´s still a very good player. Noel on the other hand is probably a similar case to Bitadze, where they sent him home and said we´ll find a trade, if not we´ll release you.

I think the Cavs owner absolutely hate buyouts, so I don´t see it with Love.

Don´t think Cuban wants Wall or Westbrook, and neither likely wants us. So mutual disinterest.

I think Danny Green is completely washed otherwise the Grizzlies keep him. AND have some self-respect for crying out loud. This is embarrassing. Do not act like a simp for VAJ and DG.

Not sure I want Beverley, but he´s probably the most realistic.

I had to guess:

Rose to Chicago
Westbrook to Clippers
Wall to Miami (maybe or the end of his career)
Lots of guys to Phoenix.

I had a choice, I´d try Saric and Bitadze to strengthen our frontcourt. What if Maxi gets hurt again, unfortunately not that small a probability. Then you are playing Powell, Bertans and McGee 55-60 minutes (25% of the rotation). Cry Plus Saric is a pretty good passer/ball-handler, too.
Though I´m not sure how that one goes. Normally I´d day Presti offers Saric an extension and try to rehab his value to flip him in 12 months, but they have so many SF/PF/C types that I´m not sure they have the minutes for it.
Like Reply
(02-10-2023, 10:13 AM)F Gump Wrote: The answer to your question is that the desire for him was always misguided.The idea of who Noel might be, is way better than the reality of who he is.

He played well in OKC and got a better contract in NY. He played about as well and got an even better contract in NY. And then his play fell off the cliff for that contract, leading NY to discard him onto DET, who found him basically unplayable. The more he got paid by NY, the worse he played.

Well, I share your opinion of those trade ideas, for sure!

But on a prorated minimum, just to finish the season, I could see it. 

But in the end, I'd expect the Mavs to target ONE buyout candidate, and for that guy to be a PG.
Like Reply
(02-10-2023, 10:13 AM)F Gump Wrote: The answer to your question is that the desire for him was always misguided.The idea of who Noel might be, is way better than the reality of who he is.

Unfortunately that reality is likely better than what the Mavs have. Their ability to butcher the C position, in a league with an abundance of them, is spectacular. The Pistons and Magic have had NINE that were better than McGee and about six or seven even made less money than Joel.
Like Reply
(02-10-2023, 10:21 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: I had a choice, I´d try Saric and Bitadze to strengthen our frontcourt.

If the Mavs could get the 20/21 version of Saric he would be a big upgrade. Smart help defender with above average mobility on defense. Solid shooter with great passing vision and the ability to attack close outs on offense.
But I am not sure how much of that is left after the ACL injury. From the little that I have seen this season he isn´t moving nearly as good as he used to.

Bitadze is a good option if the Mavs finally decide to do what all teams in the league are doing. Give one roster spot to a bigmen prospect. Other options for the same role could be Azubuike or Damian Jones. Unlikely scenario but I would prefer it over the corpse of some of the mentioned veterans.
Like Reply
(02-10-2023, 10:30 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: If the Mavs could get the 20/21 version of Saric he would be a big upgrade. Smart help defender with above average mobility on defense. Solid shooter with great passing vision and the ability to attack close outs on offense.
But I am not sure how much of that is left after the ACL injury. From the little that I have seen this season he isn´t moving nearly as good as he used to.

Bitadze is a good option if the Mavs finally decide to do what all teams in the league are doing. Give one roster spot to a bigmen prospect. Other options for the same role could be Azubuike or Damian Jones. Unlikely scenario but I would prefer it over the corpse of some of the mentioned veterans.

People say it takes as long to recover from an ACL as the injury itself. And you also have to invest some into your future roster. That´s also something the Mavs don´t do nearly enough. Get Saric in now, build a relationship and if he starts to recover, you got a legit 6th man for next year. Suns are 8-8, when he plays 20+ minutes. Mavs are 0-1 when either Bertans or McGee plays 20+ minutes, cause nobody wants to play Bertans or McGee 20 minutes. He shoots better than Bertans and rebounds better than McGee. Unquestionably he´s a much much better passer than either. That´s what we argue about.

The bar is really low, when it comes to upgrading our frontcourt fringe minutes. We need somebody to take 10-20 minutes from McGee/Bertans in emergency situations. Also Saric and Bitadze, play for a new contract. McGee/Bertans are already on their last NBA contracts.
Like Reply

Based on that trajectory, he should play really well for half the min.  But seriously he looks washed and there may still be bad blood there how it all played out last time he was here.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mvossman's post:
  • F Gump
Like Reply
(02-09-2023, 05:01 PM)MAVS-SLO Wrote: https://twitter.com/TheLeadSM/status/162...8241879047

In terms of preference this is where I'm at 
Guards:
1. Alec Burks
2. Pat Bev
3. Reggie Jackson
4. Corey Joesph
5. George Hill
6. John Wall
7. Derrick Rose
8. Russell Westbrook

Wings:
1. Danny Green
2. Terrance Ross
3. Will Barton
4. Rudy Gay

Bigs:
1. Nerlens
2. Love
3. Dedmon
4. Ibaka

Overall, my main targets are Nerlens, Green, Ross, Burks, and Beverly. If we can get 2 of any of these guys we're in good shape.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(02-10-2023, 11:27 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Overall, my main targets are Nerlens, Green, Ross, Burks, and Beverly. If we can get 2 of any of these guys we're in good shape.

I like your targets, but I think it's unlikely they'll get two of them.
Like Reply