Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coaching Criminality: All Things Jason Midd | More Guilty Pleas Than Inbounds Plays
(03-25-2023, 02:21 PM)LifeAquatic Wrote: Problem is the organization committed to playing "at Luka's pace." Kidd said this in his first year, saying whats good for his pace is good for the team. Can Luka play in more flowing offense that involves others? We won't know until the team starts to coach that way and asks him to do it. 

I think you are underestimating the limitations of this roster. Powell, Kleber and Bullock can't do much other than their go-to moves. Powell PnR dunk and Kleber/Bullock wide open three. When they are not in their position, they just look to pass the ball as soon as possible. These are three starters of this team. Rest of the team gets their shots and it is far from watching someone pound the ball for 20s. Wood is involved either in PnR or as short roll from where he creates. Hardy takes and gets his. Hardaway takes his shots (he is bad in anything but a spot up). The only one sort of lost with both Luka and Irving playing is Green. I am not convinced this is solely on them. I think play will change a lot automatically with guys like Powell, Kleber and Bullock playing less and athletic guys like Green, Hardy, hopefully a good big wing, playing more. 

Style of play or success on defense doesn't really change much with Luka out - I think this is biggest "proof" about this roster limitations. One area they could improve is pushing the ball more. Powell, Kleber, Bullock and THJ are not really able to do it. But Hardy and Green showed they could and I think it already shows when they are on the court, even with Luka. But they are not on the court that much with everyone healthy in the first place. Hardy plays just because THJ is injured, for example. 

Looking just at this short span after the trade, there are several reasons culminating together. Luka was not the same after somewhere around all star. Maxi is the only one resembling a PF on this team, but he is really bad after coming back from injury. Bullock is not good whole season (GSW game honorable exception),... Mavs desperately need a defensive general. More and more I am thinking about Draymond Green, while adding another young prospect who can learn from him. A guy like Brooks would also be great. He may take bad shots but he is an absolute pest on defense (actually very similar to Smart in both regards). Mavs have no one close to being like that. 

In any case, for reasons beyond my understanding, the Kidd/Sweeney defensive schemes always fall apart in the second season. Mavs are not an exception here. I completely agree with the ones calling for Kidds head. He lost this team. Even if it is not his fault, wheres the point to continue...
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Coaching Criminality: All Things Jason Kidd | More Guilty Pleas Than Inbounds Plays - by omahen - 03-25-2023, 04:13 PM