Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coaching Criminality: All Things Jason Midd | More Guilty Pleas Than Inbounds Plays
I posted this is the LA GD thread, but it's prob better here.

"Say what you want about Kidd (I am definitely losing the will to defend him), the fact of the matter is, he took a terrible defense and somehow made it top 10 last season, and IMO our big situation last season after KP left, was not any better than it is right now (sans Maxi). But if you actually watched us, we played a swarming zone defense, that made it at last partially irrelevant how bad our bigs were defensively, because we just swarmed anyone who got the ball in the paint.

He was never good with X and O's and brought nothing remotely close to what Carlisle did to our play offensively, but he definitely brought something defensively. I expected him to be useless as a coach as far as helping this team maximise it's offensive potential, but I expected him to at least bring whatever defensive magic he brought last year.

You can put that down to DFS being gone and Maxi being out, but our defense was trash even when both were playing this season. Something has happened to where that defensive scheme that gave us such success last year is just non existent this year. To me it's that part that is puzzling, because it did make up quite a bit for his complete lack of game management or play calling. Obviously without that, he's pretty much useless as a coach."

I'm not remotely puzzled that Kidd has been useless with game management and play calling, but the defensive solidarity disappearing completely is a surprise. We did not have good defensive bigs last season either, particularly after KP left, so it's not like that's the cause.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Coaching Criminality: All Things Jason Kidd | More Guilty Pleas Than Inbounds Plays - by Dundalis - 02-26-2023, 07:41 PM