Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Team Tank 2022-23
(04-17-2023, 07:53 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Kyrie for Paul George?   Wouldn't that be a banger.

Unfortunately not realistic, because Clippers are deep in the tax. 200 mil payroll for next season if they keep Gordon on his current deal. Drops to 180, if not

(04-17-2023, 07:26 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Winning makes Luka happy and the timing isn't just 2024.  He'll stay long enough to get his $300mm Super Max. 

I doubt Luka would suffer for three more seasons. I think (hope) winning is more important to him than "a bit" more money
Like Reply
(04-17-2023, 07:53 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Kyrie for Paul George?   Wouldn't that be a banger.   

It is all fun, but I think bringing back Kyrie is plan A, B & C for the Mavs.

Have you written up anything on Cason Wallace yet?  Even with Irving, we need a point of attack defender (who can also handle a bit).  Once you get past the top 3 to 4 guys in every draft, players are projections.  The reason there are historically so many busts in the 5-10 range is teams take guys with zero NBA-ready skills based on upside.  The hope is their uber-athleticism will allow them do develop multiple areas of their game and become a multi-tool star.

Personally, I'd rather have someone who is already anchored to at least one NBA ready skill.  In Wallace's case, its D.  But, he looks to have pretty good upside elsewhere too.  If there is someone with equal D and equal upside at the wing, give me that.  I don't know because I'm just now looking at prospects.  But, if the choice is a high upside offensive wing and a strong point of attack defender like Wallace...give me Wallace.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
(04-17-2023, 08:17 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Have you written up anything on Cason Wallace yet?  Even with Irving, we need a point of attack defender (who can also handle a bit).  Once you get past the top 3 to 4 guys in every draft, players are projections.  The reason there are historically so many busts in the 5-10 range is teams take guys with zero NBA-ready skills based on upside.  The hope is their uber-athleticism will allow them do develop multiple areas of their game and become a multi-tool star.

Personally, I'd rather have someone who is already anchored to at least one NBA ready skill.  In Wallace's case, its D.  But, he looks to have pretty good upside elsewhere too.  If there is someone with equal D and equal upside at the wing, give me that.  I don't know because I'm just now looking at prospects.  But, if the choice is a high upside offensive wing and a strong point of attack defender like Wallace...give me Wallace.

I have not.   I started dipping my toes into some a few prospects near the end of the season.    But recently listened to Zach Lowe and he was stressing a 20% chance of losing the pick is not nothing.    He said he wants to be seated next to however the Mavs representative is when they announce the order.   I believe Zach is allowed in during the private proceedings.   He said you can't leave for bathroom breaks, but joked if the Mavs lost their pick the Mavs the Mavs representative may need to leave to throw up in the bathroom.   So, that scared me about spending time right now looking at prospects.

But I agree with you the Mavs need to look at guys who may not be ideal fits (Wallace, Dick, etc) and also guys who may be slotted 13-14th as well.   The Mavs need to hit this pick if they keep their pick and don't trade it.    It can't be taking Dennis Smith (the guy I wanted..oof) while Donovan Mitchell and Bam go several picks later and who the Mavs probably never really seriously considered.
Like Reply
(04-17-2023, 08:13 AM)omahen Wrote: Unfortunately not realistic, because Clippers are deep in the tax. 200 mil payroll for next season if they keep Gordon on his current deal. Drops to 180, if not

I doubt Luka would suffer for three more seasons. I think (hope) winning is more important to him than "a bit" more money

(04-17-2023, 08:17 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Have you written up anything on Cason Wallace yet?  Even with Irving, we need a point of attack defender (who can also handle a bit).  Once you get past the top 3 to 4 guys in every draft, players are projections.  The reason there are historically so many busts in the 5-10 range is teams take guys with zero NBA-ready skills based on upside.  The hope is their uber-athleticism will allow them do develop multiple areas of their game and become a multi-tool star.

Steve Ballmer is the richest owner in the NBA. I doubt he cares about the luxury tax. He's going to field the best talent possible regardless of cost. He's building a new arena with his own money for crying out loud...
Like Reply
(04-17-2023, 09:15 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: But recently listened to Zach Lowe and he was stressing a 20% chance of losing the pick is not nothing.    He said he wants to be seated next to however the Mavs representative is when they announce the order.   I believe Zach is allowed in during the private proceedings.   He said you can't leave for bathroom breaks, but joked if the Mavs lost their pick the Mavs the Mavs representative may need to leave to throw up in the bathroom.   So, that scared me about spending time right now looking at prospects.

Now that we've received our fine for tanking, i'm a little less concerned with a fix job by the league. I assumed they would just "magically" make sure our pick is #11 and that be our unwritten penalty for tanking. 

But as you point out, 20% is nothing to brush off. There is a good chance the pick outside of the top 10. This is making it very hard to get into potential prospects and even predictions for the off season.

i'm ready for this lottery to be over with so we know where we stand.
Like Reply
(04-17-2023, 08:17 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Even with Irving, we need a point of attack defender (who can also handle a bit).

This feels like the one responsibility we can handle with the folks on roster with Josh Green hopefully continuing to grow in that capacity.

To me the bigger needs on defense are the obvious ones that continue to get pointed out (big wing help defender and rim protector).
Like Reply
(04-17-2023, 10:08 AM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: Steve Ballmer is the richest owner in the NBA. I doubt he cares about the luxury tax.

Its not about the lux tax. SnT hard caps you, which means you are not allowed to go over the apron. Clippers are 40 mil over it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
(04-17-2023, 11:51 AM)omahen Wrote: Its not about the lux tax. SnT hard caps you, which means you are not allowed to go over the apron. Clippers are 40 mil over it.

Ok. So does that mean he's limited to how much he can spend going forward?  I would have thought it wouldn't matter if you have the resources of course I'm no cap guru like some of you.  Smile
Like Reply
They can still trade, just can’t take on more money. They have a lot of big contracts to trade too. They could trade PG for Kyrie as long as the starting salary is $45.6M or less.
Like Reply
(04-17-2023, 12:16 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: Ok. So does that mean he's limited to how much he can spend going forward?  I would have thought it wouldn't matter if you have the resources of course I'm no cap guru like some of you.  Smile

You know all the things you've read that teams lose when they go over the new 'second apron'.  That is the issue here.  It isn't about money, it is about the ability to add to the roster and continue competing for talent once you cross the line.  Quick read of an article I posted will get you up to speed with all us supposed guru's.

(04-17-2023, 11:40 AM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: This feels like the one responsibility we can handle with the folks on roster with Josh Green hopefully continuing to grow in that capacity.

To me the bigger needs on defense are the obvious ones that continue to get pointed out (big wing help defender and rim protector).

I'd rather have Josh disrupting from off the ball if given a choice.  Wallace looks like a stud to me, but he's really the first guy I've looked at.  Not wanting to get too committed to anything prior to the lottery.
Like Reply
(04-17-2023, 01:11 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I'd rather have Josh disrupting from off the ball if given a choice.

I find this interesting because I feel like that was something that he struggled with when DFS got traded.  Felt like we were kind of forcing into something that didn't really match his skill set where as defending that point of attack and navigating picks looked more in his wheelhouse.  I think he was probably our best help defender after the trade but also feel we weren't really playing into his strengths and it was more because of necessity.  

I think that if some of the high level wing defenders in this draft (Jerace Wallce, Taylor Hendricks) aren't available you can still get great point of attack defense from Cason Wallace or Anthony Black and continue to use Green off the ball defensively but I just feel that Green is just as good at the point of attack as those last two names I mentioned and not nearly as good as a help wing defender as the first two names I mentioned which is why I lean towards that being the bigger need.  Either way it seems we agree that Green has to be a big piece of this defense coming back together moving forward if this is going to be successful.
[-] The following 1 user Likes StrandedOnBeauboisHill's post:
  • omahen
Like Reply
(04-17-2023, 01:51 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: I find this interesting because I feel like that was something that he struggled with when DFS got traded.  Felt like we were kind of forcing into something that didn't really match his skill set where as defending that point of attack and navigating picks looked more in his wheelhouse.  I think he was probably our best help defender after the trade but also feel we weren't really playing into his strengths and it was more because of necessity.  

I think that if some of the high level wing defenders in this draft (Jerace Wallce, Taylor Hendricks) aren't available you can still get great point of attack defense from Cason Wallace or Anthony Black and continue to use Green off the ball defensively but I just feel that Green is just as good at the point of attack as those last two names I mentioned and not nearly as good as a help wing defender as the first two names I mentioned which is why I lean towards that being the bigger need.  Either way it seems we agree that Green has to be a big piece of this defense coming back together moving forward if this is going to be successful.

I really think Green's work this offseason and the teams direction with moves will tell us a lot about Green's future.   Unlike DFS, I am not sure Green can defend bigger wings.  At least he has not been able to do this yet.  I think he is good off the ball defender.  His on the ball defense is a little overated imo.   I think he has the skills to be a good on ball defender.  I think a lot of it is experience and using leverage with his body.  Plus little tricks you learn over time.    

But if they wind up keeping their pick and draft a 6'6 to 6'7 wing, that may show us that Green could eventually be moved.   

Wallace vs Black will be something I watch more of if we keep our pick.  Black seems perfect.   I really like how he plays and has the size to his game as well.  Shooting is a huge negative.    Especially playing with Luka.  His form doesn't look good either.   Watching the games yesterday (Okoro), you see if you can't shoot you are a limitation on the court.    Most of these kids are so young though that it is hard to make firm conclusions.
Like Reply
(04-17-2023, 02:11 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: But if they wind up keeping their pick and draft a 6'6 to 6'7 wing, that may show us that Green could eventually be moved.

Or potentially that they view him as someone who can guard on ball, no?
Like Reply
(04-17-2023, 02:17 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: Or potentially that they view him as someone who can guard on ball, no?

Yeah. Green with his amazing quickness, but somewhat limited strength and size (for a forward) always felt like a PG/SG defender, not a SF/PF defender like DFS. Green needs a Jalen McDaniels-type at SF next to him.

This is where the Mavs should use Luka´s size to their advantage. On offense Green is a SF. On defense he is a SG. An OFF / DEF switch:

OFF / DEF
Doncic / Irving
Irving / Green
Green / McDaniels
McDaniels / Doncic
Turner / Turner
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mavs2021's post:
  • StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply
(04-17-2023, 03:59 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Yeah. Green with his amazing quickness, but somewhat limited strength and size (for a forward) always felt like a PG/SG defender, not a SF/PF defender like DFS. Green needs a Jalen McDaniels-type at SF next to him.

This is where the Mavs should use Luka´s size to their advantage. On offense Green is a SF. On defense he is a SG. An OFF / DEF switch:

OFF / DEF
Doncic / Irving
Irving / Green
Green / McDaniels
McDaniels / Doncic
Turner / Turner

Very much agree with this.
Like Reply
Three days in a row, I've popped onto Tankathon and run the simulation and each time it dropped me to 11th or 12th.

If we don't get the pick after all this.... ugh.

But, today it popped up 1st.
[-] The following 1 user Likes LifeAquatic's post:
  • SleepingHero
Like Reply
(04-17-2023, 01:08 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: They can still trade, just can’t take on more money. They have a lot of big contracts to trade too. They could trade PG for Kyrie as long as the starting salary is $45.6M or less.

Not SnT. They could trade for him later (at TDL for example), if that is what you meant
Like Reply
(04-17-2023, 04:43 PM)omahen Wrote: Not SnT. They could trade for him later (at TDL for example), if that is what you meant
I was talking in general, didn’t know about SnT, but that is a small %of the options available. Some of the posts above made it sound like there are no options above the second apron. If SnT isn’t available, Kyrie to the Clips isn’t available, so what, move on to the next idea.
Like Reply